PDA

View Full Version : Steelers' Batch prepares for possible start

Atlanta Dan
12-13-2007, 11:13 PM
IMO Batch is the best backup QB in the league but this is not good news:

Ben Roethlisberger has a history of playing through injuries, so it's likely he'll want to play Sunday against the Jacksonville Jaguars, even if his sore right shoulder isn't 100 percent.

However, Roethlisberger has not practiced this week - he watched Thursday's workout in sweat clothes - so backup Charlie Batch is preparing as if he'll be starter. ...

Asked when Roethlisberger first experienced symptoms, Batch said, "I think it's just a result of the Patriots game. He was pretty sore on Wednesday morning when he came in here, so you just didn't know how things were going to play out

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_542682.html

A sore throwing shoulder and cold, windy weather are not a good mix

Do not know how Charlie will handle working behind that sieve of an O-line

jjpro11
12-13-2007, 11:43 PM
this really sucks.. i want that division locked up this week.. whether it be sunday or thursday... either way, its better to win than to rely on other teams.

Galax Steeler
12-14-2007, 04:00 AM
Batch is a great back up but I would fell alot better with ben at the controls.

fansince'76
12-14-2007, 05:02 AM
Great. Just great. :banging:

geo123
12-14-2007, 05:26 AM
I'd like to think Ben will play. Every time I hear something like this I think wow you've got appreciate/ respect Bret Favre.

TackleMeBen
12-14-2007, 06:09 AM
well we can think that wonderful oline for it..lol.. if they could block better maybe he wouldnt have gotten hit so many times..i dont know the exact stat of how many times he had been sacked in the past 3 or 4 games but i know its quite alot.

i have faith in batch... maybe he will come out and light it up for us if ben cant play.
i would rather have a healthy ben for the playoffs than a banged up one. but i have to agree with 76, this sucks!

HometownGal
12-14-2007, 06:59 AM
Great. Just great. :banging:

I share your sentiments. That is all. :banging:

GBMelBlount
12-14-2007, 07:52 AM
[QUOTE=Atlanta Dan;339279]IMO Batch is the best backup QB in the league but this is not good news.....A sore throwing shoulder and cold, windy weather are not a good mix[QUOTE]

As much as I want Ben to play this week, I hope we are more cautious about starting him when injured than we have been in the past. Especially with how solid Batch has played as backup IMO.

revefsreleets
12-14-2007, 08:32 AM
As long as Tommy Maddox is nowhere within 500 miles of this game, I think we'll be okay.

BlastFurnace
12-14-2007, 09:24 AM
I'd like to think Ben will play. Every time I hear something like this I think wow you've got appreciate/ respect Bret Favre.

Favre is playing with a separated shoulder and some other injury. It's amazing how long he has lasted without missing a game.

Mikee
12-14-2007, 09:28 AM
I bet he will at least start...probably come out if he gets a nice hit on him.. Dunno :(

SteelersMongol
12-14-2007, 09:38 AM
I agree with the guys who say we'd rather have healthy Ben in the playoffs. Besides Batch has never failed us!

TackleMeBen
12-14-2007, 09:52 AM
all i can say is may the force be with us..lol

memphissteelergirl
12-14-2007, 09:56 AM
I agree with the guys who say we'd rather have healthy Ben in the playoffs. Besides Batch has never failed us!

Agreed....I don't want a repeat of last season, where there were several incidents where Ben played when he shouldn't have....and nothing but disaster ensued.

Let's have Ben at 100% when we really need him.

fansince'76
12-14-2007, 10:02 AM
Do not know how Charlie will handle working behind that sieve of an O-line

That's my major concern as well. Charlie is a more than competent backup, but he isn't exactly as mobile as Ben is. If Ben gets dropped an average of 3-4 times a game against better D's such as J-ville's (at least), I shudder to think what will happen if Batch has to start.

TackleMeBen
12-14-2007, 10:04 AM
That's my major concern as well. Charlie is a more than competent backup, but he isn't exactly as mobile as Ben is. If Ben gets dropped an average of 3-4 times a game against better D's such as J-ville's (at least), I shudder to think what will happen if Batch has to start.
we could be in for a very long long long afternoon.:jawdrop:

Fire Haley
12-14-2007, 10:10 AM
The division could be on the line on this game - he 'd better play.
Rub some tussin on it.

Batch's rust has rust.....not what you want in this huge game.

TackleMeBen
12-14-2007, 10:15 AM
plexico hasnt practice during the week and played on sunday. maybe ben can do the same and still be effective. if not throw some cortizone in a needle pop it in his shoulder and tell him to man up and go... (we all know that he will play regardless)

Atlanta Dan
12-14-2007, 10:15 AM

Hopefully Charlie will get rid of the ball - Tomlin has indicated Ben will try to keep a play alive and then take the sack - Hines and Miller need to help out Batch on quick routes if Charlie plays Sunday or (ideally) Parker can somehow run on turf he hates.

Atlanta Dan
12-14-2007, 10:19 AM
plexico hasnt practice during the week and played on sunday. maybe ben can do the same and still be effective. if not throw some corizone in a needle pop it in his shoulder and tell him to man up and go... (we all know that he will play regardless)

Starting an injured & presumably ineffective Ben not only will hurt Sunday but could carry over into the Rams game witha short week - shooting up the franchise QB's throwing shoulder does not seem like a real good idea to me - this is an important game but the season is not over if they lose.

If Ben is hurt he should sit - Tomlin appears to buy into that philosophy more than Cowher did last year.

Jman
12-14-2007, 10:26 AM
I share your sentiments. That is all. :banging:

And I share those sentiments that have already been shared. :banging:

CanadianSteel
12-14-2007, 10:29 AM
Not good news as this would proably be the last opponent on the schedule I would pick to have CBatch start against. Jags have always shut down our run game and we will need to pass to beat them as the secondary and pass D is questionable at best.
Maybe Wille can contrbute more than the past against them as they do have the 2 injured D lineman out.... I would rather play Ben at 90% this game if he can go at all and play Batch vs Rams or Ravens..

TackleMeBen
12-14-2007, 10:52 AM
Starting an injured & presumably ineffective Ben not only will hurt Sunday but could carry over into the Rams game witha short week - shooting up the franchise QB's throwing shoulder does not seem like a real good idea to me - this is an important game but the season is not over if they lose.

If Ben is hurt he should sit - Tomlin appears to buy into that philosophy more than Cowher did last year.

i was being sacrastic when i said we should shoot him up...i agree with you that tomlin probably buys into the philosophy that if a player is hurt then he shouldnt play.. but we all know that tomlin has said that ben can be very persuasive and will probably try and talk his way into starting on sunday.

Dino 6 Rings
12-14-2007, 11:04 AM
The only positive about this is that Batch, tends to spread the ball around to everyone a little more than Ben. Statistically, the 3rd and 4th options will get thrown to more than when Ben is at QB. If we can establish our running game early, shut down that their running game and attack their 1st year QB with things he's never seen and pressure him until he folds like a cheap napkin, then all will be well in the world of the Steelers.

jjpro11
12-14-2007, 11:18 AM
batch usually throws the ball away when a blitz is coming.. sometimes he panics and throws it away too soon though. but its better than a sack.

Steeldude
12-14-2007, 11:48 AM

i think batch's ability to read the field faster than BR could even it out.

PalmerSteel
12-14-2007, 11:54 AM
last year i wouldnt be as worried but the way ben has turned it around this season and gets himself out of trouble time and time again, i am worried sunday if ben doesnt practice today.

TackleMeBen
12-14-2007, 11:56 AM
Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger returned to practice today after missing two days with a sore right (throwing) shoulder.

His return means he likely will start Sunday against Jacksonville.

http://post-gazette.com/pg/07348/841716-66.stm

FAB802
12-14-2007, 12:04 PM
If he's not healthy he doesn't need to be in there. This is an important game, but Charlie Batch is capable of running this offense for a week or two if need be. I'd be interested to see what the offense looks like without Ben back there running for his life and improvising on half the snaps. Minus the obvious extra sacks of course.

This is NOT a knock on Ben before anyone takes it that way. I just think it may force our OC to utilize Willie more and to run some quicker developing pass plays. If that ends up being the case he needs to do it all the time. With Stroud out we should be able to run the ball a little better than in past games against them.

Atlanta Dan
12-14-2007, 01:43 PM
This is NOT a knock on Ben before anyone takes it that way. I just think it may force our OC to utilize Willie more and to run some quicker developing pass plays. .

No need to worry - after last Sunday we have perfected runs by Ward in short yardage situtations. Batch will step in for Ben as the lead blocker on those plays.

FAB802
12-14-2007, 01:45 PM
No need to worry - after last Sunday we have perfected runs by Ward in short yardage situtations. Batch will step in for Ben as the lead blocker on those plays.

Sounds like a plan.

ShutDown24
12-14-2007, 02:17 PM
Ben practiced today if no one heard yet...

Fire Haley
12-14-2007, 02:22 PM
Steelers' Roethlisberger returns to practice

Friday, December 14, 2007
By Paul Zeise, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger returned to practice today after missing two days with a sore right (throwing) shoulder.

That's some good news for a change.

HometownGal
12-14-2007, 02:26 PM

Charlie isn't as mobile as Ben, but he's had some real bad happy feet in the past. I hope he has overcome that problem.

Just as long as he doesn't attempt throwing a lateral. :busted:

HometownGal
12-14-2007, 02:26 PM
Steelers' Roethlisberger returns to practice

Friday, December 14, 2007
By Paul Zeise, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

That's some good news for a change.

I didn't see this before I posted - thanks for the update Killer! :cheers:

P.S. I feel much better now. :smile:

Atlanta Dan
12-14-2007, 03:12 PM
Not exactly a rave review from ESPN as to Ben's current condition, but at least Troy is back:

Pittsburgh Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger returned to practice Friday after missing two days with soreness in his right shoulder, but the fourth-year veteran was officially listed as questionable on the club's injury report for Sunday's home game against the Jacksonville Jaguars.

It is expected that Roethlisberger, who has started all 13 games for the Steelers, will start. But that determination likely won't be made until Sunday, when the Steelers see how his shoulder has responded to rest and treatment.

Ten-year veteran Charlie Batch, who has played sparingly in 2007 and thrown only five passes, would start if Roethlisberger cannot play. Batch, 33, has not started since the 2006 season opener.

It is not believed that Roethlisberger has any structural damage to his shoulder, but that he is suffering from general soreness and discomfort. He is likely to be less than 100 percent physically if he does play.

Roethlisberger, 25, is enjoying a career season, having completed 233 of 352 passes for 2,751 yards, with 26 touchdown passes and 11 interceptions, for a 101.4 passer rating. In the past four games, however, both he and the Pittsburgh offense have struggled at times. Roethlisberger has only four touchdown passes in that stretch but has been sacked 13 times.

He has not missed a start since the '06 season opener, when he was recovering from an appendectomy. The surgery came on the heels of Roethlisberger's serious injuries suffered in a motorcycle accident last spring. He has started the last 28 games in a row.

Steelers Pro Bowl strong safety Troy Polamalu, who has missed the last two games with a knee injury, will start on Sunday.

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/print?id=3155148&type=story

TackleMeBen
12-14-2007, 03:15 PM
how mant times is espn going to remind us of his health issues from last season.. we know them already....

Atlanta Dan
12-14-2007, 03:18 PM
how mant times is espn going to remind us of his health issues from last season.. we know them already....

I actually think it is intended to indicate Ben is a tough guy (or had a coach last year who would play anyone regadless of their condition since that coach was leaving).

I do not think it is intended as a diss.

TackleMeBen
12-14-2007, 03:23 PM
i didnt mean it as it was a diss. i just mean it as find some new news to tell us about how tough he is.. i think the fans already know:wink02:

Atlanta Dan
12-14-2007, 03:25 PM
i didnt mean it as it was a diss. i just mean it as find some new news to tell us about how tough he is.. i think the fans already know:wink02:

That paragraph on the injuries may be a macro and maybe they just change the number of consecutive games played after keying in the macro:smile:

steel striker
12-14-2007, 09:50 PM
Well we all know no matter what Ben will lobby to play on sunday and, yes Ben is a tough QB. I'm sure Ben will play and, we will win.

iupdauber
12-15-2007, 02:54 PM
Ben is the man, and we need every advantage we can get, but the games in the 'Burgh. So put Kordell back there. I dont care. FWP is gonna rip it up. Due for a big game

lilyoder6
12-15-2007, 03:14 PM
it's going to be a good game.. if batch does play we all know he is good enough to beat the jags..

HometownGal
12-15-2007, 03:24 PM
if batch does play we all know he is good enough to beat the jags..

Sorry, lilyoder - I wish I shared your confidence. The Jags are no slouches defensively (or offensively) and early on, I fretted over this game even more than I did the Pats game. I'll fret a lot more if Ben isn't behind center.

I'll always stand behind whoever wears the black and gold, but against a team as good as the Jags, we need Big Ben in there to give us the best opportunity to win. imho.

delhess
12-15-2007, 03:30 PM
watching injury reports on espn, is like reading the national inquirer for political views :)

TackleMeBen
12-15-2007, 04:33 PM
I'll always stand behind whoever wears the black and gold, but against a team as good as the Jags, we need Big Ben in there to give us the best opportunity to win. imho.

:iagree: ben gives us the best chance to win. i do like batch and boy he should have played plenty last year, but giving the weather and how much we really need this game, i would feel better if ben was under center:cheer::cheer: