PDA

View Full Version : Maddox dealing with off-the-field abuse..could spell the end!!

BlitzburghRockCity
10-20-2005, 12:29 AM
http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/tribune-review/sports/steelerslive/s_385920.html

The abuse did not end for Steelers quarterback Tommy Maddox when he walked off of Heinz Field after the Jacksonville game Sunday. It carried over into his personal life.
And, it could lead to his exit from the Steelers after the season, according to his agent.

A handful of ill-advised fans took it upon themselves to throw objects into the yard of Maddox's suburban home, an obvious reaction to a performance that saw Maddox turn the ball over four times, including twice in overtime, in a 23-17 loss to the Jaguars.

Maddox's final pass was intercepted and returned 41 yards for a touchdown.

Maddox's family, which includes his wife and two grade-school children, has been affected by the fan reaction. Maddox's spouse, Jennifer, has been forced to drive her children to school, in an effort to insulate them from any criticism.

"Having your kids deal with it at school and on the bus is a very, very tough deal," said Maddox's agent, Vann McElroy. "People quickly forget that the Steelers were nowhere near going to the playoffs (in 2002) and Tommy stepped in and guided them there and to a win against Cleveland. They forget how he was paralyzed (partially, during a game in 2002) and came back and put his body on the line for the city and the Steelers."

On Wednesday, Maddox politely turned down an interview request on the topic, saying only, "It's just a few people," who haven't been able to let the loss go.

Asked to comment on the state of fans who would go to such extremes, he was succinct.

"I want it to go away, that's all," he said. "Just want it to go away."

Maddox has been criticized by talk-show callers and e-mailers (the Trib has been inundated with complaints all week) after posting a 30.1 passer rating in Sunday's loss. Two of his most-discussed miscues came in overtime, including a fumble that cost the Steelers a chance to win and the interception that went for the touchdown.

All of these circumstances could lead to his departure at season's end, despite a contract that runs through the 2007 season.

"I think we all need to sit back (and reflect); you never know what can take place," McElroy said. "When things like this are going on, everybody needs to think what's best for everybody, for Tommy and his family. Tommy certainly appreciates the Rooneys (owners of the Steelers) believing in him. But when this stuff (off-the-field abuse) comes into it, it's really tough. It's one thing to get booed, but when you take it beyond the field, that's when it can be too much, especially for a guy who's done some great things during his time in Pittsburgh."

Maddox is listed as questionable for the game Sunday in Cincinnati with a shoulder injury and has been dropped to third on the depth chart behind starter Ben Roethlisberger (who missed Sunday's game with a knee injury) and Charlie Batch.

Prosdo
10-20-2005, 01:03 AM
I will say I was very ticked off with Maddox's performance on Sunday and some of the things he said in the interviews. But egging his house and all is going way too far.

pitt
10-20-2005, 01:04 AM
Its disgusting that fans would bother him and his family at home. I love the Steelers as much as anyone but there is a line that shouldn't be crossed. Children shouldn't be traumatized over something like this.

I think he had a horrible game but I'm not ready to throw him out of football over it. Everyone has a bad day once in a while.

BlitzburghRockCity
10-20-2005, 01:39 AM
These are probably the same ones or the offspring of the same ones that poored beer on Kordell's head in TRS !

Va_steeler
10-20-2005, 03:28 AM
I agree totally! Leave his private life out of it, he can do more damage to himself reflecting on the loss and mistakes he made sunday. But as you all know what happened to Bubbie Brister, he screwed up so bud that the fans and the team ran his a__ out of Pittsburgh!

SteelrsRck
10-20-2005, 08:24 AM
Thats messed up and taking things way too far..like you said theres a Fine line you dont cross and as much as i love the steelers people like that are not Fans or Dont love the Game at all

Ambridge
10-20-2005, 08:43 AM
Nothing really surprises me anymore as far as fan behavior goes.
There's always a few "bad apples" in every fan barrel.

danman0011
10-20-2005, 08:45 AM
This is as bad as something you would see from Browns fan. You all should be ashamed of yourselves. This is a classless act that belongs in the mistake by the lake.

RoethlisBURGHer
10-20-2005, 01:36 PM
That's just wrong.He doesn't deserve that crap,after everything Tommy has done for the Steelers.

I may have been pissed with his performance,but it's JUST FOOTBALL.

BB2W
10-20-2005, 01:59 PM
This is really too bad, Pittsburgh fans are so tough on their quarterback...

SteelCurtain
10-20-2005, 01:59 PM
yeah people definately take shit way too far

Koopa
10-20-2005, 03:43 PM
that's a messed up, just cause the dude bops on the field don't mean you hound his family and shit. ppl in the burgh need to calm their asses down and let him be when he's off the field just boo the hell out of him when he comes out the tunnel if you want him to feel bad for signle handedly costing us the game.

SteelCityMan786
10-20-2005, 03:47 PM
Maddox Needs to Retire or put on the Practice Squad

stand undefeated
10-20-2005, 05:48 PM
This is as bad as something you would see from Browns fan. You all should be ashamed of yourselves. This is a classless act that belongs in the mistake by the lake.

Kiss my ass.

Go home.

BIGBENFASTWILLIE
10-20-2005, 06:07 PM
I look at it this way:
the guy is a Pittsburgh Steeler.
He lost a game for us....and was just plain pathetic.
But again..Hes a PITTSBERGH STEELER......
The fans who did this should be banned as steelers fan....
we win as a team we lose as a team.
the fans are part of that team......
suck it up.look on to next week
GO STEELERS.........

BB2W
10-22-2005, 01:43 AM
Jennifer Maddox, said reports that some fans tossed trash onto the family's yard aren't true. And she denied that her children were teased at school.

"It's not true. It's not. I was just at the gym and I heard that and I went, 'I haven't picked up a piece of trash in my yard,'" Jennifer Maddox told WPXI-TV news Thursday.

link........ http://www.usatoday.com/sports/football/nfl/2005-10-20-notes_x.htm

Koopa
10-22-2005, 01:46 AM
well that's good, cause the stuff they were saying some ppl did was makin the pittsburgh ppl look like a$$holes

BB2W
10-22-2005, 01:49 AM
Tommy is such a drama queen. :grin:

jim brown
10-22-2005, 06:34 AM
I agree with you all ! There's no place for this kind of reaction to a loss! The thing that alot of you are missing is the fact that "Cohwer' SHOULD HAVE PULLED HIM LONG BEFORE HE GOT IN MORE TROUBLE. Thanks Jim BROWN,Erie.Pa.

Cape Cod Steel Head
10-22-2005, 08:01 AM
Yeah his wife said nothing happened, but he's telling teammates that "its pretty bad" WTF?

Livinginthe past
10-22-2005, 09:12 AM
Jennifer Maddox, said reports that some fans tossed trash onto the family's yard aren't true. And she denied that her children were teased at school.

"It's not true. It's not. I was just at the gym and I heard that and I went, 'I haven't picked up a piece of trash in my yard,'" Jennifer Maddox told WPXI-TV news Thursday.

link........ http://www.usatoday.com/sports/football/nfl/2005-10-20-notes_x.htm

Maybe she is just lazy :rolleyes:

SteelrsRck
10-22-2005, 09:32 AM
I dont get it

They went as far as interviewing the police and neighbors wouldnt it be a false report or was nothing ever filed?

SteelrsRck
10-22-2005, 10:11 AM
Westerman said no police report has been filed.

Nevermind answered my own question

Atlanta Dan
10-22-2005, 10:34 AM
The "story" in which Maddox's agent raised the claims about trash being tossed on Maddox's property and Maddox's kids being hassled on the school bus also had Maddox's agent claiming these "incidents" might be a factor in Maddox not being back next season (as if that will be Maddox's decision).

Leaving aside the fact that trash talking on the school bus is hardly the crime of the century unless the bus driver was doing the talking (adults vandalizing property is serious and intolerable), maybe Maddox is delusional enough to believe he still can start somewhere else and his agent is raising the ante (why the agent needs to be the mouthpiece on this is another question) with false harassment claims to so anger the fan base and management that he has to be dumped.

Thank God we do not need to worry if Tommy's wounded psyche will adversely impact his play this week.

danman0011
10-22-2005, 12:17 PM
Kiss my ass.

Go home.

It hurts, doesn't it? I think just about everyone else on this board feels the same way as I do.

steelrzgirl
10-22-2005, 12:56 PM
sounds to me like futher attempts to deflect from Maddox's performance. Pathetic.

If I knew where Joe Nedney lived in the Bay, I would egg his house.

tony hipchest
10-22-2005, 01:01 PM
sounds to me like futher attempts to deflect from Maddox's performance. Pathetic.

If I knew where Joe Nedney lived in the Bay, I would egg his house.

:iagree: :grin:

melroseplace
10-22-2005, 08:04 PM
I look at it this way:
GO STEELERS.........

I completely agree with you

BurghThing
10-22-2005, 08:54 PM
So if you agree that it happened, then the fans should be banned..then if it turns out it DIDN'T happen, can we ban Tommy for life?

Koopa
10-22-2005, 08:58 PM
I look at it this way:
GO STEELERS.........

well you can say that for the pats game, but last week we didn't lose as a team. maddox single handedly gave that game to the jags. the d did their part the o line gave him some time he was just dumb and decided why the hell not mathis is open here you go. and then he didn't even make an attempt to tackle him, the least he could've did was dive and try to trip him up he just jogged a little. but you are right about the next sentence we do need to suck it up and look to the bengals, which to me is a must win game

I.C. Lights
10-22-2005, 08:58 PM
Why are we assuming that it was Tommy's doing if the story were really fake? It could have been some desparate reporter relying on a phony source.

steelrzgirl
10-22-2005, 09:59 PM
So if you agree that it happened, then the fans should be banned..then if it turns out it DIDN'T happen, can we ban Tommy for life?
Sure shitty thing he did putting a negative light on fans for shit that didnt happen.

What a total bitch loser.

Bye Bye Tommy Pop Gun. Dont let the door hit ya where the God Lord split ya.

steelrzgirl
10-22-2005, 10:00 PM
Why are we assuming that it was Tommy's doing if the story were really fake? It could have been some desparate reporter relying on a phony source.
quotes out of PPG? Im guessing their reporters are probably not taking that kind of risk.

And if that were true, why wouldnt Maddox come out to the press and make a statement?

LambertIsGod58
10-22-2005, 10:31 PM
The part of involving family is definately wrong....But Maddox needs to go. I've said this for years. He was out of the league for at least 7 yrs selling insurance. He costed us the game when we had it won. Maybe Tommy is on Jacksonville's payroll?

steelrzgirl
10-22-2005, 10:37 PM
Sure involving his family is wrong IF IT HAPPENED

I.C. Lights
10-23-2005, 01:18 PM
quotes out of PPG? Im guessing their reporters are probably not taking that kind of risk.

And if that were true, why wouldnt Maddox come out to the press and make a statement?

I don't think the reporters would risk making up quotes, but they still could be relying on inaccurate information. The only part of the article that explicitly refers to trash being thrown on the yard is acutally not quoted. Everything else could easily refer to general harassment, and we can't know unless we see the questions that led to those quotations. Just seems a bit sketchy. And, as far as Tommy not wanting to make any more statements about this...why would he want to bring anymore attention to himself at this point? Like he said, he just wants it to stop.

AvoidLLoyd95
10-23-2005, 02:39 PM
Until any of us strap on the pads and actually play for the Steelers, we have no right to personally attack Maddox's family. It is wrong. He was good for awhile, but I believe it is time for him to go, just leave his family out of it. They aren't the ones who threw three interceptions and fumbled in overtime.

Hammer67
10-23-2005, 04:08 PM
Tommy Had a bad game...but remeber the games he won singal handidly!!!

I feel terrible that this shit happened in Pittsburgh...I am always talking up the city and this stuff has to happen....

Some fans are fucking morons....

steelrzgirl
10-23-2005, 05:43 PM
Ok but where it stands right now is THAT IT DIDNT HAPPEN

Hammer67
10-23-2005, 07:22 PM
Ok but where it stands right now is THAT IT DIDNT HAPPEN

Not so, according to both the Post Gazette and the Trib...

I am appalled if this is the case....

SteelrsRck
10-23-2005, 09:18 PM
----Sigh----

SteelrzTWAT
10-23-2005, 09:27 PM
Sure shitty thing he did putting a negative light on fans for shit that didnt happen.

What a total bitch loser.

Bye Bye Tommy Pop Gun. Dont let the door hit ya where the God Lord split ya.

Nice to know you automatically assume it came straight from him.