PDA

View Full Version : If Lebeau retires this year

Texasfan
12-15-2007, 11:45 AM
Who would you want to replace him?

iupdauber
12-15-2007, 11:53 AM
Here's the thing. No matter who replaces him, can anyone truly replace him? Ever notice when the offense plays poorly, its the coordinators fault? when the special teams play poorly, the ST coach should be fired? haha I almost see no one putting down Lebeau. If the defense doesnt come out firing on all cylinders, we dump on the players. Lebeau is so well recieved by the fans, no matter who tries to fill his shoes, they wont. IMO

Big D
12-15-2007, 12:35 PM

I think if he does retire the steelers will convert to the tampa 2. But if tomlin decides to keep the 3-4 I think linebackers coach Keith Butler would be the best choice

stillers4me
12-15-2007, 12:40 PM
Marvin Lewis may be available.....

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v11/sueincinci/Smileys/2hang.gif

MACH1
12-15-2007, 12:41 PM

No one....He's going to live forever. :wink02:

slippy
12-15-2007, 12:50 PM
get a grip guys, he's only 70.

SteelCityMan786
12-15-2007, 01:01 PM
Marvin Lewis may be available.....

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v11/sueincinci/Smileys/2hang.gif

Well, remember the last Head Coach of the Bengals who came to Pittsburgh and was hired as Defensive Coordinator? I think he had this thing called Blitzburgh.

BlastFurnace
12-15-2007, 01:39 PM
I don't even want to think about it. He's a rock on our coaching staff. I hope he stays another 10 years.

jjpro11
12-15-2007, 01:42 PM
i remember reading some rumor during the summer about him retiring after this season... but i didnt think much of it.

xXTheSteelKingsXx
12-15-2007, 01:45 PM
I thought that Crennel was going to be out in Cleveland and we would hire him as defensive coordinator but the Browns have turned around and it looks like Romeo is staying there.

Black@Gold Forever32
12-15-2007, 01:45 PM
John Mitchell our current Dline coach would be top on the list....Plus Tomlin made assistant HC.....I think Mitchell would replace LeBeau if he did retire....

Glace
12-15-2007, 05:23 PM
IMO - We can't convert to a Tampa2 Defense until we either acquire or draft some monster defensive ends.

If LeBeau does retire, I hope we don't go into a mad scramble in the draft to get one because we have many more glaring needs than D-linemen.

jjpro11
12-15-2007, 05:51 PM
IMO - We can't convert to a Tampa2 Defense until we either acquire or draft some monster defensive ends.

If LeBeau does retire, I hope we don't go into a mad scramble in the draft to get one because we have many more glaring needs than D-linemen.

i dont know.. it might not be as hard as we think.

the line could be
keisel, hampton, smith, woodley

the linebackers would be a bit of a question mark though. probably harrison and farrior.. but then you have timmons, haggans (possibly gone), foote, and woodley who could still play the position.

TackleMeBen
12-15-2007, 05:55 PM
Lebeau cant retire the man is immortal :wink02:

revefsreleets
12-15-2007, 07:52 PM
There are at least 20 posters on this board who seem convinced that they could do the job better. The Steelers could hold open tryouts for them. That would last about 20 minutes, but would certainly provide the FO some comic relief.

Seriously, given Tomlin's defensive background, it wouldn't shock me if they promoted either Keith Butler or John Mitchell and Tomlin took a more active role on the defensive side of things.

Jman
12-15-2007, 07:55 PM
I don't think much of this either. He is probably the most in shape 70 yr old I know of. It's clear he loves doing what he does. I don't know... I don't think he's going anywhere.

fansince'76
12-15-2007, 08:02 PM
There are at least 20 posters on this board who seem convinced that they could do the job better. The Steelers could hold open tryouts for them. That would last about 20 minutes, but would certainly provide the FO some comic relief.

Hey, don't laugh - I kick ass at Madden '08. :chuckle:

Jman
12-15-2007, 08:06 PM
Hey, don't laugh - I kick ass at Madden '08. :chuckle:

Ohhh....Ohhh...I do too... Is that all you need to qualify? :sofunny:

Steeldude
12-15-2007, 08:41 PM

Seriously, given Tomlin's defensive background, it wouldn't shock me if they promoted either Keith Butler or John Mitchell and Tomlin took a more active role on the defensive side of things.

rev, just because people aren't lemmings and have independent thoughts does not mean they think they can do better. we all realize you think the coaches never make mistakes. like the kordell experiment :sofunny:

Atlanta Dan
12-15-2007, 08:48 PM
There are at least 20 posters on this board who seem convinced that they could do the job better. The Steelers could hold open tryouts for them. That would last about 20 minutes, but would certainly provide the FO some comic relief..

No thanks - I am waiting to put my name in for OC when my hero Bruce Arians goes:smile:

SteelersJW
12-15-2007, 09:08 PM
Dude, he's just hanging out. Ya know. He doesn't have anything else to do.

tony hipchest
12-15-2007, 09:24 PM
No thanks - I am waiting to put my name in for OC when my hero Bruce Arians goes:smile:

will you still let ben call all the plays? :flap:

im suprised as soon as brady shellacks the steelers secondary theres talks of lebeau retiring.

he's the youngest looking 70 year old ive ever seen. (even sophia loren... what is she now, like 100?)

coaching seems to calm him as opposed to stressing him out. you cant say the same about someone like jon gruden.

unless there is some power struggle or uncompromised defensive philosophical differences, i dont see why he would want to retire.

in about a week the men will gather and Coach Dad will read "Twas the Night Before Christmas". joy will fill the room and tears will be shed.

:alcohol: :present:

:saintnick:

Stlr4ever
12-15-2007, 09:37 PM
John Mitchell our current Dline coach would be top on the list....Plus Tomlin made assistant HC.....I think Mitchell would replace LeBeau if he did retire....

John Mitchell should be fired as the DL coach for doing such a poor job with our Defensive linemen. It's interesting to know that Tomlin made him his assistant HC.

fansince'76
12-15-2007, 09:50 PM
John Mitchell should be fired as the DL coach for doing such a poor job with our Defensive linemen.

How so? It's kinda hard to generate sacks and pressure on QBs with a 3-man front. I don't think the DL has really underperformed at all this season, and Big Snack is still a beast in the middle.

RoethlisBURGHer
12-16-2007, 01:11 AM
in about a week the men will gather and Coach Dad will read "Twas the Night Before Christmas". joy will fill the room and tears will be shed.

:alcohol: :present:

:saintnick:

Coach Dad doesn't read it, he recites it...the man has it memorized.

I don't think he's retiring. He enjoys this, he doesn't look at it as coaching, but as teaching.

Black@Gold Forever32
12-16-2007, 03:30 AM
John Mitchell should be fired as the DL coach for doing such a poor job with our Defensive linemen. It's interesting to know that Tomlin made him his assistant HC.

Mitchell has been a staple of this coaching staff for some time...Plus has had a hand in molding current Dlineman Aaron Smith, Brett Keisel and Chris Hoke.....Plus you can throw in Big Casey in that group as well......Mitchell is a very good coach and it would be retarded to fire him....

jjpro11
12-16-2007, 04:14 AM

our dline is the least of our worries. they stuff the run as good as anyone else.

Galax Steeler
12-16-2007, 05:54 AM
I don't see lebeau going anywhere he enjoys what he does he will be here for a while.

FourThreeMafia
12-16-2007, 07:11 AM
I don't see lebeau going anywhere he enjoys what he does he will be here for a while.

I cant find the article, but this offseason, LeBeau said he is in great shape and has no plans to retire in the immediate future.

And to anyone who thinks they can do better than LeBeau, you seriously need to get a clue. This is one of the best defensive minds in the game. We have had top 10 defenses EVERY year under him. The ONLY critisism I ever had of LeBeau is he goes into prevent defense WAY too early. Other than that, I would not trade him for anyone.

If he did happen to retire this year (which he wont) we couldnt just switch to a 4-3. We dont have the personnel. The switch will be gradual, and until then we will be running more of a hybrid as we bring in players that fit both schemes.

iupdauber
12-16-2007, 10:18 AM

No good. Cant be doing that bad of a job if we are shutting down the run like we are. The defense is fine. We had one poor game against the best team in the NFL right now, and we hung around with the until the second half started. Keep them all intact. The OL is where work needs to be done, and if anywhere on defense, its the secondary, NOT the DL that needs it.