PDA

View Full Version : NFL and Steeler newbies...Q&A`s

sherlock
12-16-2007, 01:26 AM
Dear Mods,
Would it be ok to start a new thread where rookies could ask the members of this forum for help regarding all things NFL and Steelers that they find confusing...in my case that`s just about everything!
I try to glean as much info as I can from the internet but sometimes I feel it would be much more productive to get some 1on1 counselling to help me deal with the frustration that derives from my ignorance:banging:
Just to warn you,last count I had around a thousand questions that needed answering :dang:!!!

Borski
12-16-2007, 01:47 AM
Ask away, I may be able to help with some questions, although there are many more knowledgeable members here.

SteelersMongol
12-16-2007, 07:30 AM
Basics could be found from your very own BBC. :thumbsup: http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/other_sports/american_football/default.stm And for the rest I'm sure the guys here would help you out. :computer:

HometownGal
12-16-2007, 07:32 AM
Sure, sherlock - ask away. We have a ton of great football minds around here - one of the reasons Steelers Fever is #1 on the net! :thumbsup:

Start the thread and I'll sticky it for you. :cheers:

sherlock
12-16-2007, 07:57 AM
Question No.1:computer:....I think I understand downs and that the offense has to gain 10 yards and that they have 4 chances to do so,but you will see on the tv screen for example "1and12" or "3and10"...What does the second number represent?

Question No.2:computer:...I have noticed that many of the players have two numbers on their helmets,their team number but also another number..What does the other number signify?:helmet:
Thank you for your help and thank you for your kind replies to my original post.
Good luck for today Steelers! :tt02:

Elvis
12-16-2007, 08:08 AM
Question No.1:computer:....I think I understand downs and that the offense has to gain 10 yards and that they have 4 chances to do so,but you will see on the tv screen for example "1and12" or "3and10"...What does the second number represent?

Question No.2:computer:...I have noticed that many of the players have two numbers on their helmets,their team number but also another number..What does the other number signify?:helmet:
Thank you for your help and thank you for your kind replies to my original post.
:coffee: Good Morning Sherlock... and welcome to the forrum
The 1 and 12 etc. that you are seeing is the down.. which is 1st and the yardage needed to get another 1st down. Yes, you have 4 downs to get the needed 10 yards, but you have a choice on 3rd down of whether you punt the ball back to the other team. Punting means that you kick the ball to the other team and try to stop them from scoring or gettting 1st downs.
The numbers on the back of their helmets are in rememberance of someone that has passed away.
God Bless You and Have Fun on The Boards..
:tt02:

SteelCurtain
12-16-2007, 08:15 AM

In regard to your first question. The second number is the amount of yards they need to gain a first down. They may have more or less than 10 depending on if they gained or lost yards on the previous play or from a penalty. So take 1st and 15. That would mean on the previous play there was a 5 yard penalty, but no loss of down. So now instead of the normal 10 yards to gain for another 1st down that you start out with; you now have to gain an extra 5. Say that it is 3rd and 13. This means that sometime in the previous 2 plays they lost some yardage and now have to gain 13 yards to gain a first down. Do you understand? I don't know how clear that is lol....

As for the second question. They wear a second number because that number has some significance. I believe the Patriots wear 91, because a former player had died and they wear his number in honor of him. I believe some other teams may be wearing Sean Taylor's or Kevin Everett's numbers, too.

sherlock
12-16-2007, 04:43 PM
Thank you for your answers Elvis and SteelCurtain,things are alot clearer now!....I really appreciate your time and effort.
Question No.3...In the light of todays game,do you get instances of a team not playing very well,scraping into the playoffs and then reaching the Super Bowl!?....If not,there`s a first time for everything!

stillers4me
12-16-2007, 04:52 PM
Thank you for your answers Elvis and SteelCurtain,things are alot clearer now!....I really appreciate your time and effort.
Question No.3...In the light of todays game,do you get instances of a team not playing very well,scraping into the playoffs and then reaching the Super Bowl!?....If not,there`s a first time for everything!

I love this question!!!

Yes sir, it does happen!!

In 2005, the Pittsburgh Steelers became the first 6th seed team to ever win the Superbowl! They did the "impossible" by winning 4 road games in the playoffs to win Superbowl XL. :tt02:

This is a great dvd to watch.......it give recaps of the regular season and the playoffs.

http://www.amazon.com/NFL-Super-Bowl-Pittsburgh-Championship/dp/B000E5N6MK/ref=pd_sim_d_title_1

sherlock
12-17-2007, 04:26 AM
Thank you stillers4me...I can understand your amusement at my question...I really am a Steelers novice :dang:
So I guess the Steelers fans have nothing to worry about this season :thumbsup: :smile:

The dvd looks a must buy.
Are there any other dvd`s or books about the NFL and Steelers you would recommend for a numpty like myself..a beginners guide if you like.

stillers4me
12-17-2007, 05:46 AM
The dvd listed below that one.......The Complete History should be a good one. I have to admit, I got that dvd for Christmas last year and haven't watched it yet. (shame on me!)

susielr
12-17-2007, 07:44 AM
Thank you stillers4me...I can understand your amusement at my question...I really am a Steelers novice :dang:
So I guess the Steelers fans have nothing to worry about this season :thumbsup: :smile:

Are there any other dvd`s or books about the NFL and Steelers you would recommend for a numpty like myself..a beginners guide if you like.

The Steelers fans have alot to worry about if they don't win a game soon. Especially if other afc teams keep winning.

sherlock
12-19-2007, 04:18 AM
Concerning Field Goals and PAT`s...I`ve yet to see a defense block either!
Is this a pretty rare event?

Also,if American Football became an Olympic sport,who would be the U.S.A.`s nearest rival?...I`m guessing no-one..lol!

SteelersMongol
12-19-2007, 10:21 PM
The dvd listed below that one.......The Complete History should be a good one. I have to admit, I got that dvd for Christmas last year and haven't watched it yet. (shame on me!)

Cuz you already knew all the facts unlike the people like me who started to show interest from the late 90s. :wink02:

...Also, if American Football became an Olympic sport, who would be the U.S.A.`s nearest rival?...I`m guessing no-one..lol!

2 b honest, It would a dream come true 4 me, though I don't think I'll ever live 2 c it. But if it ever happens, it would b Canada's & Mexico's teams, I'm guessing. Which would b led by former US coaches & supplied by young American talents that were ignored at home. :smile: And if it happens people like you & I will have a really hard time choosing a side if the game was between the US team & home team. :bouncy:

sherlock
12-20-2007, 10:33 AM
SteelersMongol,
Are you actually Mongolian?...It`s just that I`ve never "met" anyone from Mongolia before! :thumbsup:

sherlock
12-23-2007, 11:15 AM
How are the schedules worked out before the start of the season?
I`m rather confused because I assumed that the Steelers play teams in the AFC but this isn`t so.They`ve played SF,Arizona,Seattle and St.Louis this season,all from the NFC.
I`ve tried to find the answers to this on the internet but to no avail!
Please help!!! :banging:

SteelCityMan786
12-23-2007, 11:26 AM
How are the schedules worked out before the start of the season?
I`m rather confused because I assumed that the Steelers play teams in the AFC but this isn`t so.They`ve played SF,Arizona,Seattle and St.Louis this season,all from the NFC.
I`ve tried to find the answers to this on the internet but to no avail!
Please help!!! :banging:

They're set a few years in advance.

Back in 2002 when the Houston Texans were added they adopted a brand new scheduling formula. The formula is

1. Each team is to play 6 games in the division. The Steelers would play each team in the AFC North Twice because it is their divison.

2. Each team is to play 4 teams in another divison in the league pending the rotation 2 games at home 2 games on the road. The Steelers played the AFC East this year as part of their rotation. Next year they'll play the AFC South with the Colts and Texans at home while they'll go to the Jags and Titans since the last time they played because of division rotation, the played at the other teams stadium.

3. Each team plays 4 teams outside of the conference. This year the Steelers played the NFC West and will play the NFC East with games at home against the Cowboys and Giants and away games against the Eagles and Redskins

4. Each team is to play 1 team from the other 2 conference division based on placing. Since the Steelers are in 1st place they would play 1st place teams from the AFC East and West next year. The AFC East last they based everything on placing would play us at their stadium and then the AFC West would come here since we went their to play there the last time. So the Steelers would play the Patriots in New England and then the Chargers would come here since they're in first place.

sherlock
12-23-2007, 11:34 AM
Thank you SteelCityMan786 for the quick reply and taking the time to help this novice out.
This piece of the NFL puzzle is now finished.At this rate I`ll be on page 2 of the NFL for dummies guide by the new year!! :jammin: :cheers:

SteelCityMan786
12-23-2007, 11:36 AM
Thank you SteelCityMan786 for the quick reply and taking the time to help this novice out.
This piece of the NFL puzzle is now finished.At this rate I`ll be on page 2 of the NFL for dummies guide by the new year!! :jammin: :cheers:

No problem. before long you'll be experts like us all.

sherlock
12-24-2007, 01:10 PM
I`ve noticed that great sway is given to statistics in the NFL......Does the team with the best all round stats usually go on to win the SB?
Hope this isn`t a dumb question.
Happy Christmas everyone and thank you for putting up with my "rookieness" . It`s just that American Football isn`t really part of the U.K.`s sporting consciousness so at the moment I`m something of a Steeler and NFL "virgin".!

SteelCityMan786
12-24-2007, 01:31 PM

From a Steelers Standpoint

The History of the Steelers Book and DVD.

NFL

They have a NFL Record and Fact Book they put out each year. So look for something like that.

sherlock
12-24-2007, 01:58 PM
From a Steelers Standpoint

The History of the Steelers Book and DVD.

NFL

They have a NFL Record and Fact Book they put out each year. So look for something like that.

Thank you for your recommendations SteelCityMan786,they sound awesome.:cheers:

SteelCityMan786
12-24-2007, 02:31 PM
Thank you for your recommendations SteelCityMan786,they sound awesome.:cheers:

No problem

SteelSurf
12-25-2007, 01:53 AM
I`ve noticed that great sway is given to statistics in the NFL......Does the team with the best all round stats usually go on to win the SB?
Hope this isn`t a dumb question.
Happy Christmas everyone and thank you for putting up with my "rookieness" . It`s just that American Football isn`t really part of the U.K.`s sporting consciousness so at the moment I`m something of a Steeler and NFL "virgin".!

The only stats that matter when it comes down to the Play offs and SuperBowl are the Teams Wins and Losses. Team and Individual stats can vary from game to game. Like any sport, there are two schools of thought regarding stats. Those who place alot of weight on stats are referred to as stat junkies etc. Many times a Teams stats dont reflect other intangables....how is the team getting along in the locker room? Are there problems say between the QB and his offensive line?(ie, are they letting him get sacked too much, or is the QB missing one of his intended recievers more then another? I can go on and on) Steelers rarely have this problem. If a player doesnt get along with others on this team,they dont stay long. It's a family run organisation.

I can give you an example. The 6th seeded 2005-2006 Super Bowl Champion Steelers had some of the lowest stats and were regarded as longshots to winning the SB. Quite frankly,never had a 6th seeded team won in the past. So statistically, they should not have walked away with it as they did. But through the playoffs they went,scratching and crawling through every opponent, the Steelers met the overwhelming favorite (Statwise)Seattle Seahawks and pummeled them.

Again, I do look at stats and box scores before a game to see how a team matches up to us, but you cant place stats on human determination and will. I think our New Coach Tomlin said it best, "Regardless of who is playing, we are the Pittsburgh Steelers."

Hope this helps, let me know. Happy Holidays! :cheers:

sherlock
12-25-2007, 11:52 AM
That`s a very informative and insightful answer SteelSurf,thank you very much!
I loved the Tomlin line you quoted.
As you alluded to,I guess the most important statistic is the win column!
Happy Holidays to you! :cheers: :thumbsup:

SteelersMongol
12-26-2007, 09:15 PM
SteelersMongol,
Are you actually Mongolian?...It`s just that I`ve never "met" anyone from Mongolia before! :thumbsup:

Yes, I am. :thumbsup: & very proud of it, 2.

Also, in Christmas 2004, I was in UK when my older brother was studying over there. Loved London. :bouncy: Will go there again 4 sure, if I can make some money.

Just so u know, i'm no expert neither in this whole football thingy. 1st time I watched the Steelers games was on TV in 1996 in Mongolia. Started following the Steelers since early 2000 so you r not alone. :wink02: I was glad that the guys here made your post ysticky. I'll b reading & learning along. :bouncy: Thanks guys. :hug:

sherlock
12-27-2007, 02:30 PM
Yes, I am. :thumbsup: & very proud of it, 2.

Also, in Christmas 2004, I was in UK when my older brother was studying over there. Loved London. :bouncy: Will go there again 4 sure, if I can make some money.

Just so u know, i'm no expert neither in this whole football thingy. 1st time I watched the Steelers games was on TV in 1996 in Mongolia. Started following the Steelers since early 2000 so you r not alone. :wink02: I was glad that the guys here made your post ysticky. I'll b reading & learning along. :bouncy: Thanks guys. :hug:

Hi SteelersMongol !,
Believe me you are an NFL genius compared to me ! :smile:
Is American Football popular in Mongolia?
What other sports are popular in your country?
BTW your English is excellent...probably better than mine!! :cheers:

crcsnail
12-27-2007, 06:20 PM
just wanted to say welcome to forums sherlock and like i said i live 26 miles from u :)
there are a few of us brits on here :) once a steeler always a steeler :)

SteelersMongol
12-29-2007, 11:31 AM
Hi SteelersMongol !,
Believe me you are an NFL genius compared to me ! :smile:
Is American Football popular in Mongolia?
What other sports are popular in your country?
BTW your English is excellent...probably better than mine!! :cheers:

I don't know much about football & I hate myself when it comes 2 my English skills, believe me. But thank you.

American Football is not well known around here. Reason that I got into it so much is I studied & lived in the states for few years and came back exactly a year ago. Yes, exactly 365 days ago from today. LOL.

In Mongolia, Kids love soccer & basketball. Some of these kids probably know a whole lot about American basketball teams than the natives. :wink02: & I have two brothers who support England in general (Manchester United & Arsenal 2 b specific) when it comes 2 soccer. :computer:

OK, so 2 keep your thread clean & keep it only a football Q & A's thread, I'm gonna cut it short. Sorry guys, my apologies. Happy new year & long live the Queen. :jammin:

Busman
12-30-2007, 11:18 PM
Actually I can answer that one.. It would be the Roughriders which would be the Olympians

Busman

Concerning Field Goals and PAT`s...I`ve yet to see a defense block either!
Is this a pretty rare event?

Also,if American Football became an Olympic sport,who would be the U.S.A.`s nearest rival?...I`m guessing no-one..lol!

Busman
12-30-2007, 11:31 PM
And my friend would be right.. The vast majority of NFL players are from the US such as the majority of hockey players are Canadian..

You might have heard of Sidney Crosby?

Black and Gold Baby

Busman

Cuz you already knew all the facts unlike the people like me who started to show interest from the late 90s. :wink02:

2 b honest, It would a dream come true 4 me, though I don't think I'll ever live 2 c it. But if it ever happens, it would b Canada's & Mexico's teams, I'm guessing. Which would b led by former US coaches & supplied by young American talents that were ignored at home. :smile: And if it happens people like you & I will have a really hard time choosing a side if the game was between the US team & home team. :bouncy:

sherlock
12-31-2007, 12:17 PM
Busman,do you mean the Saskatchewan Roughriders?
I`ve been looking at some CFL clips on youtube and you seem to get some pretty big crowds in Canada.
Also.....Can someone please explain how the play-off places are decided?
You`ll probably laugh but I kinda assumed that the top 2 teams in each division went through....wrong!
Also teams with less wins go through and teams with more wins(the Browns for example) don`t. :banging:

thecountoncleats
01-05-2008, 04:11 PM
Busman,do you mean the Saskatchewan Roughriders?
I`ve been looking at some CFL clips on youtube and you seem to get some pretty big crowds in Canada.
Also.....Can someone please explain how the play-off places are decided?
You`ll probably laugh but I kinda assumed that the top 2 teams in each division went through....wrong!
Also teams with less wins go through and teams with more wins(the Browns for example) don`t. :banging:

It can be complex, but once you've followed the NFL, the playoff seeding system becomes old hat.

Six playoff teams are selected at the close of the regular season in each conference, the American Football Conference (AFC) and the National Football Conference (NFC), and are seeded 1-6 based on several factors.

Seeds 1-4 are the division winners, the higher seeded division winners being the teams with better records. There are a series of tiebreakers if two or more division winners finish with the same record. (I won't explain the tiebreakers here; if you want to know how they work, I'll explain it then).

The seeds in the AFC this year are: 1. New England; 2. Indianapolis; 3. San Diego; and 4. Pittsburgh.

The 5 and 6 seeds are called wild-card teams. They are the two teams with the best records who did not win their division. The 5 seed this year in the AFC is Jacksonville and the 6 seed is Tennessee.

The NFL playoffs have 4 rounds: the wild-card round, the divisional round, the championship round and the Super Bowl.

The 1 and 2 teams in each conference get a "bye," meaning they don't have to play in the wild-card round. The wild-card winners have to travel to their home turf in the divisional round.

The 1 team also locks up what's called home-field advantage throughout the playoffs, meaning that unless 1 loses, all of its playoff games will be played on its home turf.

A bye can be critical in giving a team the chance to rest and rehab injuries, since every team is banged up at the end of the year. On the other hand, having a week off can cause a team to lose focus, what is known in tackle football as "rust."

In the wild-card round, the 6 seed travels to the 3 seed, and the 5 seed travels to the 4 seed. Depending on which seeds win in this round, they travel to ether the 1 or 2 seed.

In the wild-card and divisional rounds,t he NFL playoff system is designed to match up the lower seeds with the higher, in order to weed out the low seeds or expose the high seeds. So the 6 has to play the highest seed in the wild-card round, the 3, and the 5 has to play the 4.

If the 6 beats the 3, 6 has to play the 1 in the divisional round, for example, since 1 is obviously the highest seed in that round.

The final two teams in each conference play in the conference championship game, which is played on the higher seed's home turf. The winner of that game represents the conference in the Super Bowl, which is played at a neutral site.

The Super Bowl winner is league champion and gets a cool silver trophy called the Lombardi Trophy, named after Vince Lombardi legendary coach of the Green Bay Packers, the first team to win the Super Bowl.

sherlock
01-06-2008, 05:36 AM
It can be complex, but once you've followed the NFL, the playoff seeding system becomes old hat.

Six playoff teams are selected at the close of the regular season in each conference, the American Football Conference (AFC) and the National Football Conference (NFC), and are seeded 1-6 based on several factors.

Seeds 1-4 are the division winners, the higher seeded division winners being the teams with better records. There are a series of tiebreakers if two or more division winners finish with the same record. (I won't explain the tiebreakers here; if you want to know how they work, I'll explain it then).

The seeds in the AFC this year are: 1. New England; 2. Indianapolis; 3. San Diego; and 4. Pittsburgh.

The 5 and 6 seeds are called wild-card teams. They are the two teams with the best records who did not win their division. The 5 seed this year in the AFC is Jacksonville and the 6 seed is Tennessee.

The NFL playoffs have 4 rounds: the wild-card round, the divisional round, the championship round and the Super Bowl.

The 1 and 2 teams in each conference get a "bye," meaning they don't have to play in the wild-card round. The wild-card winners have to travel to their home turf in the divisional round.

The 1 team also locks up what's called home-field advantage throughout the playoffs, meaning that unless 1 loses, all of its playoff games will be played on its home turf.

A bye can be critical in giving a team the chance to rest and rehab injuries, since every team is banged up at the end of the year. On the other hand, having a week off can cause a team to lose focus, what is known in tackle football as "rust."

In the wild-card round, the 6 seed travels to the 3 seed, and the 5 seed travels to the 4 seed. Depending on which seeds win in this round, they travel to ether the 1 or 2 seed.

In the wild-card and divisional rounds,t he NFL playoff system is designed to match up the lower seeds with the higher, in order to weed out the low seeds or expose the high seeds. So the 6 has to play the highest seed in the wild-card round, the 3, and the 5 has to play the 4.

If the 6 beats the 3, 6 has to play the 1 in the divisional round, for example, since 1 is obviously the highest seed in that round.

The final two teams in each conference play in the conference championship game, which is played on the higher seed's home turf. The winner of that game represents the conference in the Super Bowl, which is played at a neutral site.

The Super Bowl winner is league champion and gets a cool silver trophy called the Lombardi Trophy, named after Vince Lombardi legendary coach of the Green Bay Packers, the first team to win the Super Bowl.

Thank you very much for this explanation thecountoncleats!
Perhaps after a few days of digesting this info it will become "old hat"!:smile:
:cheers:

vinny
01-08-2008, 10:58 AM
thank you STEELCITY! way to explain that so well....im impressed....i've tried for years to figure that out and you sumed it all up with just a few paragraphs .....if i had done it and tried typed it out and explaining everything like you did i'd still be typing.....good job! and thank you for explaining that to us noobies.......hehe....

thecountoncleats
01-10-2008, 07:37 PM
Thank you very much for this explanation thecountoncleats!
Perhaps after a few days of digesting this info it will become "old hat"!:smile:
:cheers:

No problem. I'm always eager to talk tackle football.

It helps to make a bracket for each round. You just plug in the various seeds and eliminate the losers through each round, all the way to the Super Bowl.

As the season winds down, there are a number of tiebreakers that become critical in determining a team's playoff seeding (or whether a team makes the playoffs at all).

After the last game of the season, two or more teams, within a division or within the conference, often end up tied for the same seed, and so these tiebreakers determine which team wins the seed, and which team doesn't.

They proceed in the following order, from the first to the fourth, until all but one team is eliminated from winning the contested seed.

NOTE: the order of tiebreakers is slightly different when breaking ties between teams that are in the same division than it is when breaking ties between teams that are in different divisions within their conference.

TIEBREAKERS WITHIN A DIVISION

1. Head-to-head match-ups. If Pittsburgh and Cleveland are tied atop their division, for example, but Pittsburgh has "swept" (beaten Cleveland in both intra-divisional match-ups), Pittsburgh wins the division. This is the tiebreaker by which Pittsburgh won the division from Cleveland this year.

If this tiebreaker doesn't apply, then we move on.

2. Divisional record. Remember that EVERY TEAM in the NFL plays the other three teams in its division twice a season (for a total of six divisional games), once on its turf, once on the division rival's turf.

If Pittsburgh and Cleveland are tied atop their division and have split their two-game series 1-1, but Pittsburgh's record within the division is 5-1 and Cleveland's record within the division is 3-3, Pittsburgh wins the tiebreaker.

3. Games played against common opponents. For example, if Pittsburgh and Cleveland have the same overall record, have split their two-game series 1-1, and have the same divisional record, then the team which has the better win-loss-tie percentage among common opponents (teams Pittsburgh and Cleveland have both played, including one another) wins the tiebreaker.

4. Conference record. If, for example, Pittsburgh and Cleveland have the same overall record, have split their two-game series 1-1, have the same divisional record, and the same win-loss-tie percentage among common opponents, then the team that has a better record against opponents in the conference wins the tiebreaker.

After that, there are (believe it or not) 7 more tiebreakers, but in reality 99% of all ties won't make it past the comparison of conference record.

TIEBREAKERS WITHIN THE CONFERENCE

Tiebreakers for teams in different divisions is similar to those for intra-divisional tiebreakers. Only the order is different; the actual tiebreaker, when applied, works exactly the same. The order for conference tiebreakers is:

1. Conference record.
2. Best won-lost-tied percentage in common games, minimum of four.
3. Strength of victory. (This involves comparing the combined point margins of tied teams in games that those teams won).
4. Strength of schedule. (This involves comparing the combined win-loss-tie percentages of tied teams' opponents).

Again, there are a pile of other tiebreakers, but these are never invoked. The NFL's webpage that actually lists all of its tiebreakers is NFL dot com forward-slash standings forward-slash tiebreakingprocedures. It makes for outstanding bathroom reading.

sherlock
02-05-2008, 11:48 AM
Just in case there`s anyone as new to the NFL as me here I thought I`d post a link to a site given to me by MasterOfPuppets,a regular poster on this board.
It really does answer just about all the basics any newcommer would need to know!

http://entertainment.howstuffworks.com/football5.htm

Rotorhead
02-05-2008, 05:19 PM
I dont recall this being answered so i will go ahead and answer it for you:
PAT's and FG's do occasionally get blocked, but it is not very often and most likely the longer ones (due to the lower angle for increased distance). There was one occasion this season (i think) that a FG fell short, was caught in the endzone and returned for a touchdown. The ball is live when attempting a FG and PAT so that is possible to do that, however 99.99% the ball goes out of the back of the endzone.

Welcome and hope that was understandable.

sherlock
02-06-2008, 10:45 AM
I dont recall this being answered so i will go ahead and answer it for you:
PAT's and FG's do occasionally get blocked, but it is not very often and most likely the longer ones (due to the lower angle for increased distance). There was one occasion this season (i think) that a FG fell short, was caught in the endzone and returned for a touchdown. The ball is live when attempting a FG and PAT so that is possible to do that, however 99.99% the ball goes out of the back of the endzone.

Welcome and hope that was understandable.

Thanks for that Rotorhead!
I wonder if the defense goes all out to block on these occasions and risk knocks or injuries for a more or less hopeless cause...I guess it depends on how close the game is maybe.

Kittyfish
02-06-2008, 11:51 AM
Here's a chance to let you feel smart:

Can someone list each division and the teams therein for me? AFC/NFC North, AFC/NFC East, etc. I keep reading how the Pats have such an easy division but I don't know which teams are in it. Thanks in advance.

lamberts-lost-tooth
02-06-2008, 12:04 PM

Can someone list each division and the teams therein for me? AFC/NFC North, AFC/NFC East, etc. I keep reading how the Pats have such an easy division but I don't know which teams are in it. Thanks in advance.

http://sports.aol.com/nfl-teams

this should help

sherlock
02-06-2008, 12:11 PM
http://sports.aol.com/nfl-teams

this should help

Damn you beat me to it LLT!!
Me answering a question about American football.....how funny would that be!!

DACEB
02-06-2008, 12:13 PM
AFC
North
Pitt. Steelers
Cin. Bengals
Clev. Browns
Balt. Ravens

South
Ind. Colts
Jax. Jaguars
Hous. Texans
Tenn. Titans

East
Mia. Dolphins
N.Y. Jets
Buf. Bills
N.E. Patcheats

West
Denv. Broncos
S.D. Chargers
Oak. Raiders
K.C. Chiefs

NFC
North
G.B. Packers
Chi. Bears
Minn. Vikings
Det. Lions

South
T.B. Buccaneers
Atl. Falcons
N.O. Saints
Car. Panthers

East
N.Y. Giants (thank you again)
Dal. Cowboys
Phil. Eagles
Wash. Redskins

West
St. L. Rams
Sea. Seahawks
Ariz. Cardinals
S.F 49ers

SteelersMongol
02-07-2008, 12:35 AM
No problem. I'm always eager to talk tackle football.

It helps to make a bracket for each round. You just plug in the various seeds and eliminate the losers through each round, all the way to the Super Bowl.

As the season winds down, there are a number of tiebreakers that become critical in determining a team's playoff seeding (or whether a team makes the playoffs at all).

After the last game of the season, two or more teams, within a division or within the conference, often end up tied for the same seed, and so these tiebreakers determine which team wins the seed, and which team doesn't.

They proceed in the following order, from the first to the fourth, until all but one team is eliminated from winning the contested seed.

NOTE: the order of tiebreakers is slightly different when breaking ties between teams that are in the same division than it is when breaking ties between teams that are in different divisions within their conference.

TIEBREAKERS WITHIN A DIVISION

1. Head-to-head match-ups. If Pittsburgh and Cleveland are tied atop their division, for example, but Pittsburgh has "swept" (beaten Cleveland in both intra-divisional match-ups), Pittsburgh wins the division. This is the tiebreaker by which Pittsburgh won the division from Cleveland this year.

2. Divisional record. Remember that EVERY TEAM in the NFL plays the other three teams in its division twice a season (for a total of six divisional games), once on its turf, once on the division rival's turf.

If Pittsburgh and Cleveland are tied atop their division and have split their two-game series 1-1, but Pittsburgh's record within the division is 5-1 and Cleveland's record within the division is 3-3, Pittsburgh wins the tiebreaker.

3. Games played against common opponents. For example, if Pittsburgh and Cleveland have the same overall record, have split their two-game series 1-1, and have the same divisional record, then the team which has the better win-loss-tie percentage among common opponents (teams Pittsburgh and Cleveland have both played, including one another) wins the tiebreaker.

4. Conference record. If, for example, Pittsburgh and Cleveland have the same overall record, have split their two-game series 1-1, have the same divisional record, and the same win-loss-tie percentage among common opponents, then the team that has a better record against opponents in the conference wins the tiebreaker.

After that, there are (believe it or not) 7 more tiebreakers, but in reality 99% of all ties won't make it past the comparison of conference record.

TIEBREAKERS WITHIN THE CONFERENCE

Tiebreakers for teams in different divisions is similar to those for intra-divisional tiebreakers. Only the order is different; the actual tiebreaker, when applied, works exactly the same. The order for conference tiebreakers is:

1. Conference record.
2. Best won-lost-tied percentage in common games, minimum of four.
3. Strength of victory. (This involves comparing the combined point margins of tied teams in games that those teams won).
4. Strength of schedule. (This involves comparing the combined win-loss-tie percentages of tied teams' opponents).

Again, there are a pile of other tiebreakers, but these are never invoked. The NFL's webpage that actually lists all of its tiebreakers is NFL dot com forward-slash standings forward-slash tiebreakingprocedures. It makes for outstanding bathroom reading.

Thanks 4 the enlightenment. :thumbsup:

Elvis
02-09-2008, 05:17 PM

Kittyfish, I dont know about how smart I am, but I love someone that is willing to ask questions in order to become more knowledgeable about something or to get better at something. If anyone has had an easy schedule this past season, it was our Steelers. Dolphins, 49ers Etc. Just look at the Steeler opponents and their records. If we had played this upcoming seasons' schedule, we wouldnt have been close to .500 in my opinion. But our team should improve and if they can get major help on the Offensive line, then we will be ok.
:thumbsup:

Kittyfish
02-10-2008, 09:37 AM
Elvis, I know! I couldn't believe some of the teams we lost to. Every time we had an "easy" victory, we somehow ended up losing. I know about midway through the season, I stopped feeling confident when our team took the field. If we won on paper, I knew that we'd find a way to lose it. I guess it allowed us to keep fitting our heads through the doorways, if nothing else. Still love my team though! Overall, it wasn't the worst season ever, and hopefully we'll do even better this year.

If you really appreciate people asking questions and trying to learn, look up my "Stoopid Questions 101" thread from maybe about a year ago. I think I still have some unanswered queries in there, if anybody wants to tackle them.
From that thread:

12) Did it seem as though a big deal was made about Ben starting in his rookie season? Now it seems as though there were a lot of rookie quarterbacks starting. Was I simply not paying attention before (which would be the truth) and there have always been a few rookie starters? If that is not the case, do you think Ben's success in his first year had anything to do with other teams putting in their rookie QBs right away?
10) Why is the transition from college ball to the pros so difficult? I understand that it is a huge deal, and some players can't handle it. But it seems to me that the college players have to think quickly, get off their passes/run their routes quickly, get tackled as hard as the opposing team can hit them, etc. Do the college rules "pamper" the players that much, so that going to the pros is a huge shock to them? I am even less familiar with college ball rules than I am with the pros.

10.) Is hard to make it because of the sheer numbers. Think of how many highschool football teams that you know in the US and then think that only the better players play in college. Then think of how many player that play in college compared to the 32 teams in the nfl carrying 53 players and 80 players in the offseason. And you have to remember only a few are retiring each year so they only need to bring in what they are losing. No one cuts Payton Manning to bring in a college kid. Here is a pretty good website that talks about the odds. ww.nflpa.org/Faqs/NFL_HopefulsFaq.aspx

Thank you for your long reply to my many questions, btw. Yes, I understand about the odds of going to the pros at all, but I was wondering about the players who were drafted and just couldn't cut it for whatever reason. I was watching some special on the NFL channel the other day, and it profiled two up and coming quarterbacks - for the life of me, I can't remember either one right now. But one wasn't able to make it in the pros and just kind of drifted around in the background for different teams for a while, and the other was fairly successful and had a good career. Is the difference between making it or not mostly mental, do you think? Or is pro football that much harder to play than college ball?
To hopefully clarify: It seems every year there is a big deal made over some college player or another and sometimes their career just fizzles and they can't cut it in the professional league. I mean, they were really really good in college - why can't some of them transfer that over and have a successful career in the pros? Is it that the college rules are more lenient/easier or is it more mental toughness/attitude? And then you have those who are overlooked during their college careers and do very well in the pros, ie FWP.

sherlock
02-10-2008, 02:57 PM
Hello Kittyfish,
It`s great to have someone else around as naive about all things NFL as myself!
I don`t feel so alone...Ha!

Kittyfish
02-11-2008, 09:23 AM
Glad to help out, sherlock . It does seem as though football is a game you have to grow up loving, in order to understand all the nuances. Although my dad was a big fan (Redskins), I didn't care at the time and missed the opportunity to pick his brain. So now I have to ask stoopid questions here in hopes of gaining some insight and understanding of the game.

I think I do maybe have an advantage on you, though - I'm "just a girl" so I can get away with more ignorance. As far as these people know, I could be really cute. :cheer: :drool:

:sofunny:

While I'm here, does anybody want to explain the QB rating to me?

sherlock
02-11-2008, 02:17 PM
Glad to help out, sherlock . It does seem as though football is a game you have to grow up loving, in order to understand all the nuances. Although my dad was a big fan (Redskins), I didn't care at the time and missed the opportunity to pick his brain. So now I have to ask stoopid questions here in hopes of gaining some insight and understanding of the game.

I think I do maybe have an advantage on you, though - I'm "just a girl" so I can get away with more ignorance. As far as these people know, I could be really cute. :cheer: :drool:

You`re dead right about growing up with the game to be able to understand all its nuances.There`s no game like it. :banging:

The QB rating ?........I think it`s about who scores the most slam-dunks. :wink02:

lamberts-lost-tooth
02-11-2008, 02:40 PM

Broken down as simply as possible, passer ratings are based on four categories: percentage of touchdown passes per attempt..... percentage of completions per attempt.... percentage of interceptions per attempt.... and average yards gained per attempt.

The final results are really the passer ratings. Not the quarterback ratings......The system acknowledges that it does not factor in leadership, play-calling and other very pertinent qualities that make a quarterback successful.

For the most part, passer ratings are what most people look at when they try to decide who the best quarterbacks in the NFL are and who deserves to go to the Pro Bowl

here is a calculator that shows you how the rating is determined

http://www.csgnetwork.com/quarterbackratecalc.html

sherlock
02-12-2008, 04:02 PM
Sorry,but this is probably my dumbest question yet!..........
I want to buy the NFL Record and Fact Book for the season just gone.
Is that the 2008 edition?

Kittyfish
02-24-2008, 10:30 AM
Does anybody want to try and explain the 3-4/4-3 defense to me?

Dizzle43
02-24-2008, 10:47 AM
Sherlock: Yes.

Kittyfish: In the 3-4 defense there are three down-lineman and four linebackers. Most 3-4 defense are based on blitzing and zone-blitzing. In the 4-3 defense there are four down-lineman and three linebackers. Most 4-3 defenses are based on cover 2 which is a zone scheme.

Kittyfish
05-03-2008, 08:50 AM
Here we go again...

I went to a friend's house last weekend and told him who the Steelers first two draft picks were, and what little I knew about them. He was surprised by a RB but I told him that, from my understanding, Mendenhall was just too good to leave lying there unclaimed so we snatched him up. He then said something about how Chuck Noll used to sometimes go for the best athlete available, regardless of the position they played. That got me to wondering.

Just how hard is it to have someone play a position different than they are used to? I understand you can't make someone built like a nose tackle into a wide receiver, but why couldn't a talented athlete learn to do something other than what he was trained for, if that is what is needed on the team, and if their skills are also appropriate for that position? Or is each position so specialized that a player really is naturally one or the other? Or do they switch positions all the time, and I'm just now aware of it? I know that some former QBs, for example, have been made into other things (Ward, Randle El) but I wonder how often this goes on, and how difficult it is to do.

Anyone?

JanBr7
05-03-2008, 11:50 AM
KittyFish, it certainly does happen, but it is rare. There are so many quality players in the NFL who have been trained for years to play a certain position, that it is better to bring one into the team who has been playing that position, through either trades, the draft, or free agency.

In the case of extremely talented (and intelligent) athletes, they can handle another position, such as a quarterback being turned into a wide receiver, particularly if he is fast. Both positions require 'good hands', smarts, the ability to understand routes and a lot more. That's one of the most commonly interchangeable positions, but it is still rare. I hope this helps.

millwalldavey
05-03-2008, 01:26 PM
Mentally I think the best position switch is from QB to WR, as the QB has an understanding of what the WR does based on his job of delivering the ball to him.

Athletically, it does take a lot to make the transition.

Kittyfish
05-03-2008, 03:10 PM
Thanks, guys, that makes sense. I really appreciate your help. I think football is a more specialized game than I realized.

sherlock
06-23-2009, 01:50 PM
Whenever I watch a game and the Jags are playing I`m intrigued by the calls David Garrard makes just before the snap.
It seems to be either `99` or `98`......he has such a loud sergeant-major bellow you can`t help but notice.
Does anyone know what Ben calls before the snap as I`ve never been able to make it out via the telly?
Does it vary from snap to snap?
I hope my terminoligy is correct here.....this is still something I`ve yet to get a full grip on,for instance, just how many definitions of the word `pick` are there in American Football? :chuckle:
Thank you for any help in this matter.:hatsoff:

mesaSteeler
06-24-2009, 12:26 AM
Welcome to the board and welcome to Steeler Nation.

Here is a link to the NFL rulebook page from NFL.com which may help you understand the game. There are several links on the page including the Beginners Guide to Football and Football basics.

http://www.nfl.com/rulebook

Also the following video is MUST viewing for all new members of Steeler Nation.

It is Birth of a Nation - Steeler Nation by NFL films. In my opinion it is the best video ever done about the Steelers, the City of Pittsburgh, and the mighty Steeler Nation.

If you really want to understand what the Steelers are, who the Rooney family is, what Steeler Nation is, and their relationship with the City of Pittsburgh then watch the video. If you watch it you will understand the unrivaled passion of the Steeler Nation.

http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=vids.individual&VideoID=4328974

PS. If you don't already have one then make sure you get yourself a Terrible Towel. All Steeler fans have a Terrible Towel. The history of towel is on this web site.

sherlock
06-24-2009, 10:03 AM
Thanks very much for your time and effort Mesa! :hatsoff:
I have seen the video before courtesy of another poster on this board...and I`ve just watched it again!
The nfl.com link was very enlightening.....the puppet/muppet was very easy to follow and understand and helped clear up what goes on at the line of scimmage regarding the QB.
Regarding my original question however,I was more interested as to whether Ben has a set word for when the ball is snapped.
Is it `hut` for instance
David Garrard for example always seems to call `99` or `98`.
I hope I`m making sense.....probably not! :banging:
Just for the record,until about 18 months ago American Football was ( and in many ways still is) a strange and alien world to me...but now I`m obsessed!
Confession time....18 months ago,I don`t think I`d even heard of the Steelers:sorry:!
However,after a year and a half`s obsession I am getting their......slowly
Thanks again!:thumbsup:

Indo
06-24-2009, 11:53 AM
Thanks very much for your time and effort Mesa! :hatsoff:
I have seen the video before courtesy of another poster on this board...and I`ve just watched it again!
The nfl.com link was very enlightening.....the puppet/muppet was very easy to follow and understand and helped clear up what goes on at the line of scimmage regarding the QB.
Regarding my original question however,I was more interested as to whether Ben has a set word for when the ball is snapped.
Is it `hut` for instance
David Garrard for example always seems to call `99` or `98`.
I hope I`m making sense.....probably not! :banging:
Just for the record,until about 18 months ago American Football was ( and in many ways still is) a strange and alien world to me...but now I`m obsessed!
Confession time....18 months ago,I don`t think I`d even heard of the Steelers:sorry:!
However,after a year and a half`s obsession I am getting their......slowly
Thanks again!:thumbsup:

Welcome to the Greatest and Healthiest Obsession you will ever have!

As to the quarterback calls at the line---
every QB has his own "Call" that results in the snap of the ball. It varies from team to team and QB to QB.

Some of the calls you hear are "Audibles" . In football, this refers to a situation in which the QB is actually changing the play at the line. The team has gone into the huddle prior to a play and the QB calls the play in the huddle. The team then comes up to the line and the QB "reads" the defense---he looks over the defensive line, linebackers, and defensive backs (DBs). Suppose that he has called a play which results in a run to the right side of the field (the QB ,incidentally, has a microphone in his helmet and gets the play radioed to him from the coaches on the sideline---generally from the Offensive Coordinator). Now, when he reads the defense he (in this example) notices that the DBs have shifted over toward the right, leaving a big gap on the left side of the field. He "audibles" on the line by saying a word or number that tells the rest of the offense "I'm changing the play from a run to the right to a pass to the left". The new play is run and hopefully results in a large gain! This is simplified, but you get the basic idea.

Here's the "tricky" part. Sometimes the words or numbers the QB says (such as 98 or 99 or whatever) are "Dummy" calls. They mean absolutely nothing whatsoever, but the Defense doesn't know which calls are "hot" calls that mean something or dummy calls.

All part of the strategy of the Great Game that is Football

:tt03:

Indo
06-24-2009, 12:03 PM
By the way, Sherlock, you still haven't told us if you have acquired a Terrible Towel. no self-respecting Member of Steeler Nation would be without one.

If you haven't seen it already, watch this video----it tells the story of the TT and will help you to understand why we of The Nation wish curses upon those that desecrate it...

Proceeds from the sale of it go towards helping Autistic children and other special children

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/playoffs2008/columns/story?columnist=garber_greg&page=hotread20/garber

There are some other videos out there also---I will try to find the links

sherlock
06-24-2009, 11:18 PM
Fantastic explanation Indo!!....Thank you very much:hatsoff:
It really made sense what you said and I think I now understand what goes on with the calls...woohoo!!!!!!
AF is so different to any other sport...ha!
I`m afraid I don`t yet have a TT,but,I do have a no.43 and 7 jersey,5 t-shirts,a hoody,a cap(that doesn`t fit!) and I`m waiting on an order for a cap(that hopefully will fit),another t-shirt and a couple of car stickers.
Thanks again for your time in answering my question.

wezx
06-25-2009, 03:25 PM
Greetings our UK friend! Football is my favorite sport though I do enjoy many others. I love football because fortunes can turn on a dime, which makes the game very exciting! Perfect example: James Harrisons Super Bowl interception & TD. The Cardinals were about to take the lead and then BAM it goes the other way! I also like the complexity of the game...at the pro level it is of course VERY complicated, which I think keeps it exciting. Also, having played football as a kid, there is just something about making a really good solid hit on someone that you never forget. I'm sure you're discovering many of these things as you become more familiar with the game. Enjoy the ride and welcome to Steelers Nation! :tt:

sherlock
07-08-2009, 03:20 AM
wezx[/B];619981]I also like the complexity of the game...at the pro level it is of course VERY complicated, which I think keeps it exciting.

Thanks [B][/wezxB]!!....Indeed,I think it`s the complexity and tactical aspects of the game which sets AF apart from any other sport.....there`s chess of course!!

Sorry,but I`ve another question....When a team has too many players on the field they incur a penalty.
You sometimes see players scampering of the field to avoid being penalised....Do players have to run to their own side of the field or can they exit the playing area anywhere?:noidea:
Thanks for any help on this.

bigjamesharrison2
07-08-2009, 09:44 AM
I'm pretty sure it has to be on their own teams sideline, but I'm not 100% sure. Someone should be able to either confirm or deny that.

BubbyBrister
07-08-2009, 12:33 PM
I'm pretty sure it has to be on their own teams sideline, but I'm not 100% sure. Someone should be able to either confirm or deny that.

That is correct. Also, I believe that you have to be in the designated area.

I'm sure that you can imagine what would happen if you mixed the teams up on the sidelines during a heated game.

Just imagine the opposing team lined up right along the sideline as to not allow that player off on the incorrect side.

El-Gonzo Jackson
07-08-2009, 12:43 PM
Players-Substitutions
Each team is permitted 11 men on the field at the snap.
Unlimited substitution is permitted. However, players may enter the field only when the ball is dead. Players who have been substituted for are not permitted to linger on the field. Such lingering will be interpreted as unsportsmanlike conduct.
Players leaving the game must be out of bounds on their own side, clearing the field between the end lines, before a snap or free kick. If player crosses end line leaving field, it is delay of game (five-yard penalty).
Offensive substitutes who remain in the game must move onto the field as far as the inside of the field numerals before moving to a wide position.
With the exception of the last two minutes of either half, the offensive team, while in the process of substitution or simulated substitution, is prohibited from rushing quickly to the line and snapping the ball with the obvious attempt to cause a defensive foul; i.e., too many men on the field.

http://www.nfl.com/rulebook/playersubs

The other thing is there cannot be 12 men in the huddle. That is why you will see substituting players yelling at who they are subbing in for before they reach the huddle.

sherlock
07-12-2009, 04:30 AM
Thanks everyone for answering my latest question!:hatsoff:
Gonzo....thanks for the link....I actually did look through the NFL rulebook but didn`t see the part you posted:doh:
I do try to find answers via the internet,books,videos etc before I annoy you guys and gals with dumb questions!..thanks again.

Indo
07-14-2009, 04:22 PM
It's actually not annoying at all. Football (the REAL Football, NOT Soccer! :grin: ) is a very complex game. Many of us have played it, coached it, and have been fans for decades and the intricacies are still difficult. But that's part of the fun...

PS. why do I read your posts with a British accent?! :king:

El-Gonzo Jackson
07-14-2009, 05:54 PM
Sherlock, the questions you ask are actually very thoughtful and valid........anything but dumb. Rules change every year and it gets confusing.

Indo, I love the Lombardi quote on your sig, but FYI, here is the actual version. I firmly believe that any man's finest hour, the greatest fulfillment of all that he holds dear, is that moment when he has worked his heart out in a good cause and lies exhausted on the field of battle - victorious.

http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/authors/v/vince_lombardi.html

vasteeler
07-15-2009, 10:46 AM
It's actually not annoying at all. Football (the REAL Football, NOT Soccer! :grin: ) is a very complex game. Many of us have played it, coached it, and have been fans for decades and the intricacies are still difficult. But that's part of the fun...

PS. why do I read your posts with a British accent?! :king:

thats really funny i do the same thing

Indo
07-15-2009, 04:26 PM
Sherlock, the questions you ask are actually very thoughtful and valid........anything but dumb. Rules change every year and it gets confusing.

Indo, I love the Lombardi quote on your sig, but FYI, here is the actual version. I firmly believe that any man's finest hour, the greatest fulfillment of all that he holds dear, is that moment when he has worked his heart out in a good cause and lies exhausted on the field of battle - victorious.

http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/authors/v/vince_lombardi.html

Thanks Gonzo---I think (if I remember correctly) that that website is where I got it----I just edited it down a little...

Lombardi was an amazing man. Any one of his speeches to the Packers could be taken as a Life Lesson as well as a football lesson.
Here are 2 more of my favorites:

"The quality of a person's Life is in direct proportion to their commitment to Excellence, regardless of their chosen field of endeavor."

"Perfection is not attainable, but if we chase Perfection, we can catch Excellence."

I don't know if you are from Pittsburgh, but I grew up in Plum Borough (near Monroeville). I played football in the Midget League (what most people would call the Pop Warner leagues). At the end of practice every day the Coach would read Lombardi's "Winning is not a Sometime thing..." speech to us. It must have left some kind of an impression because I still frequently read it-----

http://www.vincelombardi.com/about/speech.htm

steeler fan Dan
07-15-2009, 08:15 PM
I need some advice, A few friends and myself are thinking about going to see a Steelers game at Heinz Field. We have a choice between the Browns on Oct 18th or the Ravens Dec 27th. I would like to see the Ravens but i'm not sure the starters will play if the Steelers have a play-off spot locked in. Then there's a question about the weather. Can anyone give me some advice?

bigjamesharrison2
07-15-2009, 08:31 PM
I would definitely go to the ravens. Even if the Steelers
do lock-in their playoff spot, its still sure to be a knock-down, drag out, hard hitting football game.

sherlock
07-24-2009, 09:38 AM
I`m asking this question in my best Dick van Dyke( Mary Poppins) accent:laughing:
What happens when a team incurs a penalty that will bring them back behind the end of the end-zone?
I assume they don`t start in the stands!:noidea:
Gawd bless yer Steeler Nation!

Youngstown Steeler
07-24-2009, 09:53 AM
Teams are penalized yardarge when they commit a foul. Some penalties are 5 yards, some are 10, and some are 15. When you are penalized and you are near your own goaline, the penalty yardage changes. You will often hear the referee say 'half the distance to the goal.'
So if the team started the play on its own 8 yard line and committed a 10 yard penalty, the referee would move them half the distance, which would be the 4 yard line.
If they committed a penalty on the next play, they would be on the 2 yard line and so on.
This prevents a play from ever starting behind the goalline or in the team's own endzone.

sherlock
07-24-2009, 10:03 AM
Teams are penalized yardarge when they commit a foul. Some penalties are 5 yards, some are 10, and some are 15. When you are penalized and you are near your own goaline, the penalty yardage changes. You will often hear the referee say 'half the distance to the goal.'
So if the team started the play on its own 8 yard line and committed a 10 yard penalty, the referee would move them half the distance, which would be the 4 yard line.
If they committed a penalty on the next play, they would be on the 2 yard line and so on.
This prevents a play from ever starting behind the goalline or in the team's own endzone.

Thanks for the quick answer Youngstown Steeler....I have to admit I had no idea about the penalty yardage changes.

MasterOfPuppets
07-24-2009, 05:43 PM
Thanks for the quick answer Youngstown Steeler....I have to admit I had no idea about the penalty yardage changes.
YS , forgot to add, that if a penalty occurs while the ball is IN the endzone, such as holding, it results in a safety. it happend in the superbowl.

HughC
07-24-2009, 05:47 PM
I just came across this site on nfl.com that looks like it might be a good resource for questions from newbies or from people that have been following the game for a long time. I haven't clicked on any of the categories yet but when I saw this I thought it would be worth posting the link here.

http://www.nfl.com/rulebook/digestofrules

sherlock
07-25-2009, 04:04 AM
HughC...Thank you for the link.
MOP....I did actually know that...shock!!!
I`ve always thought it was a strange name to give it.
If the player in posession of the ball is tackled in the endzone it`s also a safety and results in 2 points also right....I guess I`m something of an expert now....HAHA!!!!