PDA

View Full Version : Cut Marvel Smith

SteelCurtain
12-16-2007, 03:50 PM
Why in the World is Marvel Smith the starter? He gets burnt every play...he couldn't block a pop warner defensive tackle. Absolutely horrible. I would rather have Hines Ward as an offensive tackle.

Edman
12-16-2007, 03:51 PM
The whole Offensive Line should be cut.

They were literally abused by the Jags' D.

Jman
12-16-2007, 04:15 PM
Not only is Marvel Smith a good player, he is a class act with the franchise. Here is a man who took a pay cut to help the organization during the Super Bowl year. He is a bull in the running plays and while could be improved, decent at pass protection. He is not a bum. I'm sorry you're emotional about the play of the offensive line today, but Marvel Smith should not be cut.

ShutDown24
12-16-2007, 04:18 PM
Marvel is an above average left tackle. We can't simply say "Cut him! Cut him!" because someone had a bad game. We are in the playoffs, that is all that matters. Jacksonville played great today, they could have beat a lot of teams. As far as the Stillirs go - 2005.

Steeldude
12-16-2007, 04:19 PM
smith will be the best player on the O-line next season. why cut your best lineman?

SteelCurtain
12-16-2007, 04:21 PM
Not only is Marvel Smith a good player, he is a class act with the franchise. Here is a man who took a pay cut to help the organization during the Super Bowl year. He is a bull in the running plays and while could be improved, decent at pass protection. He is not a bum. I'm sorry you're emotional about the play of the offensive line today, but Marvel Smith should not be cut.

A good player? Obviously you have not been watching any games this season! Almost every sack can be contributed to Marvel. Did you watch today's game? We might as well have not had a left tackle...that is how horrible he was. He might be a class act and might have been a good player at one time, but this is a competitive league and if you perform the way he has this season; then it's time to bring in someone new. He has played absolutely horrible all season. Horrendous is the only word that can accurately describe his play.

The Duke
12-16-2007, 04:23 PM
He's not as good as before. every play there was like one second and the defender was already near or on top of Ben. but they can't cut him, there's no one that could replace him....

MasterOfPuppets
12-16-2007, 04:26 PM
lol.....if you think the line is bad this year, wait till next year .....:wink02:
marvel should be moved to right tackle, and our first rd. pick will be at left...(hopefully)

ShutDown24
12-16-2007, 04:30 PM
Left tackle play in the NFL is atroucious. Next to quarterback it may be the hardest possision to fill on a roster. Cutting Marvel would be one of the stupidest moves the franchise could make. Trading him or moving him to right tackle is a much better move to consider.

SteelCurtain
12-16-2007, 04:30 PM
lol.....if you think the line is bad this year, wait till next year .....:wink02:
marvel should be moved to right tackle, and our first rd. pick will be at left...(hopefully)

I'm looking forward to the line next year!! Our best offensive lineman, Faneca, will be gone... We better draft some studs for the O-Line or Ben's going to look worse than he did after the motorcycle accident.

Jman
12-16-2007, 04:31 PM
A good player? Obviously you have not been watching any games this season! Almost every sack can be contributed to Marvel. Did you watch today's game? We might as well have not had a left tackle...that is how horrible he was. He might be a class act and might have been a good player at one time, but this is a competitive league and if you perform the way he has this season; then it's time to bring in someone new. He has played absolutely horrible all season. Horrendous is the only word that can accurately describe his play.

He's not Walter Jones but he's not a bum either. He's an above average, but not great LT. Perhaps I missed what you're talking about because here in eastern PA, we don't get every game...so maybe you're right...maybe I missed the game where Marvel lost it for the team. You sound like those folks who wanted Faneca gone too. Pour me another cup...

:coffee:

Black@Gold Forever32
12-16-2007, 04:32 PM

I have been screaming for years for this team to draft a true LT.....Smith shouldn't be cut but he should be moved to RT.........If the Steelers can get a LT and a new center in the draft...I think that would do wonders for the team...True its risky playing rookies...But other teams have done it.....I would move Colon to OG also....His arms are to short to play OT in the NFL....

SteelCurtain
12-16-2007, 04:38 PM
He's not Walter Jones but he's not a bum either. He's an above average, but not great LT. Perhaps I missed what you're talking about because here in eastern PA, we don't get every game...so maybe you're right...maybe I missed the game where Marvel lost it for the team. You sound like those folks who wanted Faneca gone too. Pour me another cup...

:coffee:

You're right he's not Walter Jones, but wrong in the fact that he is a bum. Ben never has time, because Marvel can barely slow up the opposition let alone actually block them for a second. Maybe he would be a good right tackle, but he sure as h*ll isn't a left tackle. As for Faneca, I pray to god we can somehow find a way to keep him without killing us salary cap wise or keeping Ben. I don't see that happening, though.

Jman
12-16-2007, 04:42 PM
You're right he's not Walter Jones, but wrong in the fact that he is a bum. Ben never has time, because Marvel can barely slow up the opposition let alone actually block them for a second. Maybe he would be a good right tackle, but he sure as h*ll isn't a left tackle. As for Faneca, I pray to god we can somehow find a way to keep him without killing us salary cap wise or keeping Ben. I don't see that happening, though.

Football is a team sport. If you're gonna call out Smith, you might as well call out the entire line. I think it was what, 39 sacks going into this game on the season? Yea...all of that is attributed to Marvel Smith alone?

So let me get this right... you want to keep Faneca, but get rid of Marvel Smith?

:confused:

Black@Gold Forever32
12-16-2007, 04:44 PM
Football is a team sport. If you're gonna call out Smith, you might as well call out the entire line. I think it was what, 39 sacks going into this game on the season? Yea...all of that is attributed to Marvel Smith alone?

So let me get this right... you want to keep Faneca, but get rid of Marvel Smith?

Faneca can back his bags........Mahan and Simmons just need to be shot...They both suck....Smith just needs to slide over to RT...Hopefully Colon gets moved to OG and he can make that transition...He sure isn't an OT......lol

SteelCityMan786
12-16-2007, 04:44 PM
I have been screaming for years for this team to draft a true LT.....Smith shouldn't be cut but he should be moved to RT.........If the Steelers can get a LT and a new center in the draft...I think that would do wonders for the team...True its risky playing rookies...But other teams have done it.....I would move Colon to OG also....His arms are to short to play OT in the NFL....

He does a better job then Starks.

Jman
12-16-2007, 04:47 PM
Faneca can back his bags........Mahan and Simmons just need to be shot...They both suck....Smith just needs to slide over to RT...Hopefully Colon gets moved to OG and he can make that transition...He sure isn't an OT......lol

Mahan is naturally a guard and will probably go where Faneca is now. Although, I would like to keep Faneca if we can. He is a great player, rarely hurt. Colon could do a good job at guard. Center is hurting, imho.

Shooting players won't help them ya know.:flap:

SteelCurtain
12-16-2007, 04:49 PM

You're right football is a team sport and it is like a chain...if it has a weak link and it breaks, then you need to replace it. Marvel is that link on the line that consistently breaks. The entire line is below average, but Marvel is below that. Watch today's game if you haven't you will see 8 out of 10 passing plays where he gets blown off the line and is turned around just standing there watching Ben try to run away from the guy he should have blocked. That then causes one of the other D-linemen who were being blocked just enough, to then make a move to tackle Ben. It all stems from Marvel being a complete bum.

xXTheSteelKingsXx

To disagree with one of your opinions, Simmons played a pretty good game today against one of the better d-tackles in the league in Henderson.

Black@Gold Forever32
He does a better job then Starks.

Whats your point? Starks sucks ass even mentioning him proves nothing.....Plus I don't even know if you're talking about Smith or Colon?.....

If you're talking about Smith......I don't think Starks would have done worse today...lol I still think Smith is better then Starks...But Smith was very bad today...

As for Colon....I rather have Starks which that is very sad......At least Starks can run block were Colon has just been bad at both pass protection and run blocking...

Black@Gold Forever32
12-16-2007, 04:53 PM
Mahan is naturally a guard and will probably go where Faneca is now. Although, I would like to keep Faneca if we can. He is a great player, rarely hurt. Colon could do a good job at guard. Center is hurting, imho.

Shooting players won't help them ya know.:flap:

Mahan was the starting center for the Irish at Notre Dame...So he does have experience at the position but he isn't and NFL center thats for sure.....So moving him to OG is in his best interest......Don't want Faneca back...He is on the down side of his career...He has sucked as well this year...For his price no thank you at all...

Of course shooting players won't help....Maybe you failed to see that I was joking and just stating that Simmons and Mahan have been terrible all year...lol

Black@Gold Forever32
12-16-2007, 04:54 PM
To disagree with one of your opinions, Simmons played a pretty good game today against one of the better d-tackles in the league in Henderson.

Simmons played a good game today so that lets him off the hook for his average at best play this year?...Ok.........:sofunny::sofunny::sofunny:

Jman
12-16-2007, 04:54 PM
You're right football is a team sport and it is like a chain...if it has a weak link and it breaks, then you need to replace it. Marvel is that link on the line that consistently breaks. The entire line is below average, but Marvel is below that. Watch today's game if you haven't you will see 8 out of 10 passing plays where he gets blown off the line and is turned around just standing there watching Ben try to run away from the guy he should have blocked. That then causes one of the other D-linemen who were being blocked just enough, to then make a move to tackle Ben. It all stems from Marvel being a complete bum.

Well as I post in most other threads, to each their own opinion. Marvel had a tough day today, I will admit that. Do I think it's everyday? No I don't. I think Marvel is one of the better players on the offensive line.

I don't know if it goes towards your "point," but I will admit that we need O-linemen who "do it all." Marvel is traditionally a run-blocking type of guy.

ShutDown24
12-16-2007, 04:56 PM

Simmons has played well all season and it is ashamed he is thrown in with the rest of the guys as playing bad.

Jman
12-16-2007, 04:57 PM
Mahan was the starting center for the Irish at Notre Dame...So he does have experience at the position but he isn't and NFL center thats for sure.....So moving him to OG is in his best interest......Don't want Faneca back...He is on the down side of his career...He has sucked as well this year...For his price no thank you at all...

Of course shooting players won't help....Maybe you failed to see that I was joking and just stating that Simmons and Mahan have been terrible all year...lol

I knew you were joking, man. Didn't you see the emoticon? Lighten up, please.

We don't know yet how much Alan will ask for. We will see what happens there. Marvel took a pay cut, maybe Alan will. Who knows? I'm ok if we lose him, but I would like to see him stay.

Black@Gold Forever32
12-16-2007, 04:58 PM
Simmons has played well all season and it is ashamed he is thrown in with the rest of the guys as playing bad.

I wouldn't classify his play as playing well...It might look well due to the rest of the Oline just flat out sucking...lol

SteelCurtain
12-16-2007, 05:01 PM
Well as I post in most other threads, to each their own opinion. Marvel had a tough day today, I will admit that. Do I think it's everyday? No I don't. I think Marvel is one of the better players on the offensive line.

I don't know if it goes towards your "point," but I will admit that we need O-linemen who "do it all." Marvel is traditionally a run-blocking type of guy.

His play has been consistently bad all season.

Jman
12-16-2007, 05:02 PM
His play has been consistently bad all season.

Sorry if I didn't make it clear in my last post, but I was ending my argument. To each their own, man.

Rotorhead
12-16-2007, 05:03 PM
If it wasnt for Faneca today, the broken play where Ben dumped off to Willie would have been a loss, Faneca made a KEY block there. We need to keep Faneca. We need to get a Center and LT and our line will be fine. Unfortunately that will ahve to be through FA cause u cant draft 2 of the most important spots on the line and expect to keep your QB alive . . . although i dont see how rookies could to worse!

Jman
12-16-2007, 05:04 PM
If it wasnt for Faneca today, the broken play where Ben dumped off to Willie would have been a loss, Faneca made a KEY block there.

:iagree:

jjpro11
12-16-2007, 05:07 PM
why dont we just play starks at LT and smith at RT.. they are both clearly more comfortable in those positions than the contrary. starks played pretty well when he was in for smith at LT. he played well when smith was out also.. either way, both are better than colon.

The Duke
12-16-2007, 05:19 PM
why dont we just play starks at LT and smith at RT.. they are both clearly more comfortable in those positions than the contrary. starks played pretty well when he was in for smith at LT. he played well when smith was out also.. either way, both are better than colon.

I thought about that too, but wasn't it against the bungles the starks played LT? I want him to go against a good D Line to see what he can actually do

noto45
12-16-2007, 05:19 PM
Smith did look pretty bad.....

jjpro11
12-16-2007, 05:24 PM
I thought about that too, but wasn't it against the bungles the starks played LT? I want him to go against a good D Line to see what he can actually do

he was playing it in 2nd half too from what i saw. im pretty sure they took smith out.