PDA

View Full Version : Ben looks extremely uncomfortable and unsure of himself in the shotgun

jsteelers51191
12-16-2007, 04:07 PM
For almost his whole 3-4 years, he looks like he double clutches everything and he isn't sure of himself and he ends up trying to run in circles on almost every shotgun play and the only time we get a posittive gain in shotgun, it is because of Ben improvising and not because of a well drawn up play. I would really like to see an overhead view of the field to see if Ben is just missing open guys,only looking for one receivers, or the receivers just aren't getting open because of satan's(Arians) play-calling.

jjpro11
12-16-2007, 04:10 PM
i would too if i had 300 pound men within inches of me every single time i threw the ball.

Edman
12-16-2007, 04:12 PM
With this pitiful offensive line, ass playcalling, and mediocre recievers behind Holmes and Ward that hang him out to dry occasionally, can you blame him? It seems that the only reciever he trusts is Hines.

Why do we go Shotgun only on 3rd and long?

Rotorhead
12-16-2007, 04:16 PM
Hey Miller is a great receiver :P . . . but I blame this season on playcalling/Oline. If the line cant block (like this year) you have to call more quick slants so Ben can get rid of the ball and negate the rush (even if the rush is only 4 downline against our 5+ blocking.

xXTheSteelKingsXx
12-16-2007, 04:20 PM
I think that Ben would be comfortable if we ran some more play action and roll him out of the pocket. We all know he does some of his best work on the run so why not try it.

jjpro11
12-16-2007, 04:23 PM
I think that Ben would be comfortable if we ran some more play action and roll him out of the pocket. We all know he does some of his best work on the run so why not try it.

i like the play actions.. but the with the rollouts, he'll just walk into an outside rusher. they have simply been getting too much penetration on the outside vs us.

stillers4me
12-16-2007, 04:23 PM
Santonio is playing injured. He's usually clutch with the ball. Nobody could hold on to it today.

jjpro11
12-16-2007, 04:24 PM
Santonio is playing injured. He's usually clutch with the ball. Nobody could hold on to it today.

santonio wasnt even the one dropping them.. hines and miller had big drops.

OX1947
12-16-2007, 04:25 PM
If it weren't for Big Ben, the Steelers would be 5-9 this year. His extension of plays has single handily won this team 4 games this year. If Big Ben has Brady time, Big Ben would be a surgeon on the field and would be able to throw 35 TDs every year consistently.

I'll explain to you the difference between the Brady's, Manning and Ben's.

Manning is a timing, studying, accurate machine. In order to do what he does, he must be able to throw on time and his guys must be on the same page. Once you disrupt that, there is a chance of making things hard for Manning. But because his guys are as dedicated and in tune as he is because that what Manning demands, he is able to be effective and not get hurt at all.

Brady NEVER, I mean NEVER in 7 years has not had a great line. The reason why Brady can sit back and throw and make the Gaffneys(who get cut by the Texans) superstars, is because he has 4 or 5 seconds on a consistent basis. On top of that, he is a smart QB and on top of that, this year, he actually has weapons, thus, 14-0 this year.

Big Ben, he is a blend of both with a kicker, he is very mobile. He is tall, strong armed like Manning and has the smarts to get things done no matter who is on the team or what is going on. He can think off the fly like Brady. The only problem is now that he has 4 years in the NFL and has honed in on his talent and defenses, now he cant get a damn sec to drop back after play action and not have to worry about a DE being right into his face.

I know some will think I am crazy comparing Brady and Manning into Ben, but understand that Im not saying putting those two together makes Big Ben, but Ben has the talent and the smart that those guys have in important areas and with possibly the worst line in Pittsburgh in I dont know how many years, Ben has thrown 29 TDs and only thrown 11 Ints.

The Duke
12-16-2007, 04:27 PM
Ben is such a warrior. through all the pressure he still was battling to the final minute. and hey......no interceptions! and he also broke Bradshaw's team record of 28 td passes!

O line will get him killed out there, but he will always stand up and continue the fight. that's what I love about him, he's like a young Favre in those aspects.

o line is the problem. like jjpro11, anybody would be uncomfortable with 300 pounds guys in their faces

OX1947
12-16-2007, 04:27 PM
Hey Miller is a great receiver :P . . . but I blame this season on playcalling/Oline. If the line cant block (like this year) you have to call more quick slants so Ben can get rid of the ball and negate the rush (even if the rush is only 4 downline against our 5+ blocking.

You only blame the play calls in critical situations. Like running that Miller pass on fourth when it should have been run a play earlier. Thats when play calling should be called out. But overall, playcalling in a game is about execution. And our O-line has not executed consistenly all year and if the line cant give the Qb an extra sec for the recivers to get to their spots, all plays look bad.

jjpro11
12-16-2007, 04:28 PM
I know some will think I am crazy comparing Brady and Manning into Ben, but understand that Im not saying putting those two together makes Big Ben, but Ben has the talent and the smart that those guys have in important areas and with possibly the worst line in Pittsburgh in I dont know how many years, Ben has thrown 29 TDs and only thrown 11 Ints.

its not crazy.. just imagine manning or brady behind our line.. they are 2 of the worst qbs in the league when pressured.

xXTheSteelKingsXx
12-16-2007, 04:29 PM
santonio wasnt even the one dropping them.. hines and miller had big drops.

I think that Hines second quarter drop(the one that bounced right off his chest when he was WIDE open) was one of the turning points in the game. If Ward makes that catch the we get out of our endzone and maybe we drive down for a TD making the score 14-3. I am not placing all of the blame on Ward just one of the many things that could have turned the game in our favor.

stillers4me
12-16-2007, 04:29 PM
Ben is having a great year......I wish the rest of the team were playing with him.

That being said, I'm still not crushed. If someone would have told us in April we would be fighting to keep the division and clinch a playoff spot, we would have thought they were carzy. While I always have faith in my team and knew we had more talent than we were getting credit for, the fact that we lost a HOF'er head coach was not in our favor.

TackleMeBen
12-16-2007, 04:34 PM
Ben is having a great year......I wish the rest of the team were playing with him.
:iagree: if the rest of the team was playing as well we might be the second best team in the AFC instead of maybe the 4th or 5th best team.

tony hipchest
12-16-2007, 04:36 PM
With this pitiful offensive line, ass playcalling, and mediocre recievers behind Holmes and Ward that hang him out to dry occasionally, can you blame him? It seems that the only reciever he trusts is Hines.

what? we go shotgun on 3rd an 1 and 3rd and 2 all the time.

to the writer of this thread-

i think youve diagnosed all our problems.

no more shotgun for the steelers.

Edman
12-16-2007, 04:39 PM
Ben is the team MVP this season. Hands down. His value to this team is simply unparalleled by no other. Best part is, he's just beginning to hit his prime. That's pretty much the only positive I can take from this loss.

The Steelers need to get some bodies and weapons for him. He hides and clouds the true atrocities of the clowns that line up in front of him.

The man's a gamer. Pure and simple. He brought our team back in this, only to see the Defense shit the bed.

stillers4me
12-16-2007, 04:40 PM
Ben is the team MVP this season. Hands down. His value to this team is simply unparalleled by no other. Best part is, he's just beginning to hit his prime. That's pretty much the only positive I can take from this loss.

The Steelers need to get some bodies and weapons for him. He hides and clouds the true atrocities of the clowns that line up in front of him.

The man's a gamer. Pure and simple. He brought our team back in this, only to see the Defense shit the bed.

:cheers:

The Duke
12-16-2007, 04:48 PM

lol

so true

OX1947
12-16-2007, 04:53 PM
Its ok. Whatever happens this year, Steelers at the least need to get Ben a Stud LT. Then a Randy Moss. And then Sign Terrell Owens to compliment him and then trade for Plax again to finish his career here. Then we can run the 95 super Bowl 5 wide offense with Owens, Moss, Plax, Hines and Holmes, ALLLLLLLLLLLLLL RIIIIIIIIIIIIIGHT

jjpro11
12-16-2007, 04:57 PM
Its ok. Whatever happens this year, Steelers at the least need to get Ben a Stud LT. Then a Randy Moss. And then Sign Terrell Owens to compliment him and then trade for Plax again to finish his career here. Then we can run the 95 super Bowl 5 wide offense with Owens, Moss, Plax, Hines and Holmes, ALLLLLLLLLLLLLL RIIIIIIIIIIIIIGHT

and when we beat dallas in the super bowl next year, jessica simspon will dump tony romo for me. oh man.. i love that world.

HometownGal
12-16-2007, 04:58 PM
I think that Hines second quarter drop(the one that bounced right off his chest when he was WIDE open) was one of the turning points in the game. If Ward makes that catch the we get out of our endzone and maybe we drive down for a TD making the score 14-3. I am not placing all of the blame on Ward just one of the many things that could have turned the game in our favor.

I totally agree, That could definitely have been a pivotal play. 9 times out of 10, though, Hines makes that catch effortlessly.

Ben is a warrior through and through. That young man has such poise even in the most adverse of situations. He is the glue that has held this team together. Screw the ritz, glitz and glamour stats - there isn't another QB I'd rather have than Big Ben. :thumbsup:

stillers4me
12-16-2007, 05:03 PM
Screw the ritz, glitz and glamour stats - there isn't another QB I'd rather have than Big Ben. :thumbsup:

I"M IN TOTAL AGREEMENT!!!!!!

Yea, I sceamed it........sue me!

TackleMeBen
12-16-2007, 05:06 PM
no yelling on the boards... we dont respond well to yelling...lol..

i have to agree with HTG, i wouldnt want another qb back there either

BBR7
12-16-2007, 05:13 PM
This is my first post. I usually post on the Tribune sight, but today all the fair weather fans and trolls have invaded the board complaining how bad Ben is. I'm glad I found this board where realistic people actually post. I don't understand how anyone would put this loss on Ben. I feel like he's the sole reason, we're leading our division and have a chance to win the AFCN. That little toss to FWP with three Jags on his back was a perfect example of Ben's value to the Steelers. Most QB's would have been sacked 10 times today. Ben may not be the most prolific passer but he is a football player and a gamer. I'll take Ben any day over Palmer, Manning and all the other "so called" great passers.

Go Steelers!!!!!!

stillers4me
12-16-2007, 05:16 PM
I don't know how anyone can complain about Ben this year. If not for him, this year would have been really ugly. To quote Tomlin, he's not just a QB, he's a football player.

SteelDogFan
12-16-2007, 05:30 PM
This is Tomlin's first year as head coach.

Stlr4ever
12-16-2007, 05:40 PM

You are absolutely right. Look what Ben was able to do when he played against the Ravens. The Jags front 4 are very good. They are big, strong and past. I wish they could play the Pats this season. They will make Brady nervous.