PDA

View Full Version : Do The Steelers Miss The Playoffs?

Atlanta Dan
12-16-2007, 06:36 PM
I am not kidding - this team can lose to anyone on the road

I would take 10-6 no questions asked

Browns (9-5)
at Bengals
49ers

Titans (8-6)
Jets
at Colts (who will be resting starters)

Yes or no? (and who wins a Titans-Steelers tiebreaker?)

The Duke
12-16-2007, 06:40 PM
they have got to beat the rams and ravens. period

if they don't beat either they're out most likely. if they beat one they can still get in as wild card(possibly 6th seed again).

right now let's root for the bungles and 49ers!

Titanic
12-16-2007, 06:44 PM
Titans are currently in a pretty good spot for a team that doesn't control its own destiny. We need one of the following to happen assuming we win out:

Jaguars lose the last two(doubtful)
Browns lose either of their last two(we would win a tiebreaker over them if we both go 10-6).
Steelers lose to Ravens. We would have the same number of AFC losses and as of right now we are 8 games ahead of you in strength of victory assuming Indy holds on against Oakland. Still conceivable that that difference could be made up in the last two weeks.

tony hipchest
12-16-2007, 06:44 PM
at this point i would say the steelers worst nightmare is facing a rookie qb on the road (ravens).

i dont think this team wants any part of bulger, holt, bruce, mcmichael, and "sure to put up 100" jackson, on the road either.

looks like were down to hoping for other teams to lose, already.

unfortunately, relying on the chargers or browns to stink it up is not working.

moedap
12-16-2007, 06:49 PM
This team loves to play with its backs against the wall. I dont understand why but they do. Get behind 15 and the offense begins to move the ball. I think we win out and get 4th seed.

BozMan
12-16-2007, 06:56 PM
Steelers seem to be in a tailspin ever since they ran the table against the division during the middle of the season. After that high point, they just haven't looked right. Where is the killer instinct? If they miss the playoffs, they have no one to blame but themselves.

Black@Gold Forever32
12-16-2007, 07:01 PM
Of course its 2005 all over again.....lol

SteelCityMan786
12-16-2007, 07:04 PM

What was that teams record after 14 games? oh 9-5.

Stlr4ever
12-16-2007, 07:04 PM
I am not kidding - this team can lose to anyone on the road

I would take 10-6 no questions asked

Browns (9-5)
at Bengals
49ers

Titans (8-6)
Jets
at Colts (who will be resting starters)

Yes or no? (and who wins a Titans-Steelers tiebreaker?)
----------------------------------------------------------
Browns are the better team than Bengals. Lets hope, by some miracle the Bengals can beat the Browns. I am not sure we can beat the Rams and Ravens on the road. I know they are bad teams. We did lose to Jets, Cards and Broncos. Seems like any team outside Ohio can beat us.

Steeler in Carolina
12-16-2007, 07:06 PM
Win out and we will probably get the 4th seed and another game with Cleveland.

stillers4me
12-16-2007, 07:06 PM

I haven't seen where anyone has insinuated there is a parallel between the two situations. I think most will agree the 2007 Steelers lack the talent and the passion of the 2005 team. Getting to the playoffs, for even one showing, is an accomplishment that we would all like to see for Tomlins first season.

I'm sure there are alot of fans of other teams that would love to be where we are today.

SteelCityMan786
12-16-2007, 07:18 PM
I haven't seen where anyone has insinuated there is a parallel between the two situations. I think most will agree the 2007 Steelers lack the talent and the passion of the 2005 team. Getting to the playoffs, for even one showing, is an accomplishment that we would all like to see for Tomlins first season.

I'm sure there are alot of fans of other teams that would love to be where we are today.

I know of a team on the other side of the state who would agree.

stillers4me
12-16-2007, 07:23 PM
Besides.......I still think we can run the gammut........

I BELIEVE!

steelpride12
12-16-2007, 07:59 PM
After these two embarrassing losses i think we will win out on the last two take the division and walk in the playoffs a 4th seed!

cubanstogie
12-16-2007, 08:14 PM
Steelers will win big the last two. Only team in playoffs I feel good about is the Browns, but beating them 3 times in 1 year is no easy task. These last few weeks are making me come to the realization that we are a mediocre team. Ben should go to the pro bowl, and has really been the brightest spot of the year. In years past if Ben throws 3 td's and o pics, plus Willie has 100 yds I would have bet my life that would turn into a victory. I didn't see the game due to being at work so I don't even know what to be depressed about other than a loss. I wish I could blame our Defense struggles on injuries, it doesnt seem like we could stop pats, colts, or Jags in playoffs unless something changes dramatically so I predict playoffs and early exit.

RoethlisBURGHer
12-16-2007, 08:16 PM
I think we can take the Rams and we can easily take a bad Ravens team that lost to the damn Dolphins!

11-5, fourth seed, home game against Cleveland.

BozMan
12-16-2007, 08:48 PM
4th seed will play the 5th seed, which will most likely be the Jagoffs.

Atlanta Dan
12-16-2007, 08:51 PM
4th seed will play the 5th seed, which will most likely be the Jagoffs.

Steelers will beat the Jags if they play again - I am more worried about getting to that game

ChronoCross
12-16-2007, 08:53 PM
Were still #3 seed because of our division wins since we have not went head to head with the Chargers.

So if we win out. Were #3 seed regardless and we win are division.
If we win this week we make the playoffs anyways, even if we loose we can still beat the ravens at the end of the year to make the playoffs. All we have to do is win 1 game. A tie between us and Tenn we win that tiebreaker. Do to division record. We own any tiebreaker between Browns and Tenn and over the chargers for the seeding.

There is a whole bunch of scenarios you can go over on how this can turn out. Tenn has to win its last 2 games we have to loose are last 2 games not to make the playoffs.

Remember we only have to win 1 game and browns loose one and we rap the division up. We remain tied with the chargers we keep are #3 seed and hopefully the coaching staff can fix what is going on before we get to the playoffs..

BlastFurnace
12-16-2007, 09:08 PM
at this point i would say the steelers worst nightmare is facing a rookie qb on the road (ravens).

i dont think this team wants any part of bulger, holt, bruce, mcmichael, and "sure to put up 100" jackson, on the road either.

looks like were down to hoping for other teams to lose, already.

unfortunately, relying on the chargers or browns to stink it up is not working.

Other than in 2004, it seems like we are always hoping for other teams to lose. Frustrating.

Hopefully, we win on Thursday and Cleveland loses in Cincinnati next week. I'm grew up in Ohio and don't think for a minute that the Bengals wouldn't like to knock the Browns out of the playoffs....or atleast make their life difficult. That will make it short and sweet.

Titanic
12-16-2007, 09:12 PM
There is a whole bunch of scenarios you can go over on how this can turn out. Tenn has to win its last 2 games we have to loose are last 2 games not to make the playoffs.

Actually this is not true. If we(Titans) win our last two you only have to lose one game(Ravens) for you to miss the playoffs. this assumes our current lead in the strength of victory holds up. If you lose to the Rams it doesn't matter as far as the titans, because you are one game ahead in the the conference loss column. Basically if you beat the Ravens and you don't have to worry about us, if you don't you do.

Atlanta Dan
12-16-2007, 09:27 PM
Actually this is not true. If we(Titans) win our last two you only have to lose one game(Ravens) for you to miss the playoffs. this assumes our current lead in the strength of victory holds up. If you lose to the Rams it doesn't matter as far as the titans, because you are one game ahead in the the conference loss column. Basically if you beat the Ravens and you don't have to worry about us, if you don't you do.

Thanks - I really did not expect to be worrying about playoff tiebreakers a month ago = so the key game is the Ravens game?:dang:

BozMan
12-16-2007, 09:49 PM
Thanks - I really did not expect to be worrying about playoff tiebreakers a month ago = so the key game is the Ravens game?:dang:

I'm sure the Ravens would love nothing more than to spoil our season if they had the opportunity.

The past two losses against playoff-caliber teams aren't that disappointing. You can't come away expecting a win every time you line up against a team as good as or better than you. What is disappointing and frustrating are the losses against teams we could have and should have beat... Arizona... Denver... and, ugh, the Jets. We'd be sitting a lot more comfortably right now if we would have taken care of business against those lousy teams. :banging:

jjpro11
12-16-2007, 09:59 PM

so we cant even clinch a playoff birth with a win thursday?

jjpro11
12-16-2007, 10:15 PM
Were still #3 seed because of our division wins since we have not went head to head with the Chargers.

So if we win out. Were #3 seed regardless and we win are division.
If we win this week we make the playoffs anyways, even if we loose we can still beat the ravens at the end of the year to make the playoffs. All we have to do is win 1 game. A tie between us and Tenn we win that tiebreaker. Do to division record. We own any tiebreaker between Browns and Tenn and over the chargers for the seeding.

Remember we only have to win 1 game and browns loose one and we rap the division up. We remain tied with the chargers we keep are #3 seed and hopefully the coaching staff can fix what is going on before we get to the playoffs..

i just checked and we are now the 4th seed. division record doesnt matter when your up against non divisional opponents.

http://www.sportsline.com/nfl/standings/playoffrace

Stlr4ever
12-17-2007, 12:07 AM
Never under estimate the ravens. Especially if they think they can do us some damage

They would love to deny us the div. title. Our team doesn't usually play well in Baltimore. They have been awful on the road this season.

Steel Pit
12-17-2007, 12:21 AM
I'll tell you what, if the Steelers DON'T win out, then who cares if they do or do not make the playoffs?

The playoffs will require the Steelers to beat teams such as the Jaguars, Colts and Patriots. If the Steelers can't handle the Rams and Ravens then they simply DON'T HAVE ANY BUSINESS IN THE PLAYOFFS....... Big ole FAT period.

I believe that the Steelers will win out. I also believe that the Bengals will defeat the Browns this week. As for the #3 or #4 seed. It really doesn't matter to me, the Jaguars or the Browns, who do you want? Makes no difference to me.

The Steelers will be in the playoffs, I just hope that they lay all of their rotten eggs before January.

jjpro11
12-17-2007, 12:52 AM
I'll tell you what, if the Steelers DON'T win out, then who cares if they do or do not make the playoffs?

The playoffs will require the Steelers to beat teams such as the Jaguars, Colts and Patriots. If the Steelers can't handle the Rams and Ravens then they simply DON'T HAVE ANY BUSINESS IN THE PLAYOFFS....... Big ole FAT period.

I believe that the Steelers will win out. I also believe that the Bengals will defeat the Browns this week. As for the #3 or #4 seed. It really doesn't matter to me, the Jaguars or the Browns, who do you want? Makes no difference to me.

The Steelers will be in the playoffs, I just hope that they lay all of their rotten eggs before January.

i'd absolutely love to see us win and browns lose this week.. it would make the christmas week all the more enjoyable.

CASTEEL
12-17-2007, 03:07 AM

Couldn't agree more!

susielr
12-17-2007, 08:47 AM

Gosh, do I hope so...

Atlanta Dan
12-17-2007, 09:00 AM
Dan you make great informative posts, but what did you see today that makes you believe we beat the Jags?

Steelers played horribly and still were in the game in the late 4th quarter; Marvel Smith will play better, so I do not see LT getting as whipped; and adjustments will be made to improve the run D. I just cannot see Jax winning at Heinz twice in 4 weeks.

IMO the Steelers will not need to worry about that. I think they will lose at least 1 of their last 2 and be fortunate to amke the playoffs as a wild card playing at Cleveland the first weekend.

Dream scenario is Steelers beat Rams, Browns lose to Benglas and everyone rests for the Ravens game, but I do not see that hapeneig.

aussiesteelers
12-17-2007, 09:02 AM

Thats incorrect. Pittsburgh can clinch a playoff berth with a win. Even if the Titans win out and we win against the Rams and lose to the Ratbirds, we still get in because of common games. we would be 2-2 while Tenn 2-3 in common games and hence we would stiil be in the playoffs. If we win out or we win 1 game and cleveland lose, we win the division.

Atlanta Dan
12-17-2007, 09:15 AM
Thanks for the above clarification

Here are the wildcard tiebreaker procedures:

If the tied clubs are from different divisions, apply the following steps.

Two Clubs

1. Head-to-head, if applicable.

2. Best won-lost-tied percentage in games played within the conference.

3. Best won-lost-tied percentage in common games, minimum of four.

4. Strength of victory.

5. Strength of schedule.

6. Best combined ranking among conference teams in points scored and points allowed.

7. Best combined ranking among all teams in points scored and points allowed.

8. Best net points in conference games.

9. Best net points in all games.

10. Best net touchdowns in all games.

11. Coin toss

http://www.nfl.com/standings/tiebreakingprocedures

Steelers currently are 7-4 in conference; Titans are 5-5; if Steelers lose to Ravens and Titans win out both will be 7-5

Titans will be 2-3 against Denver, Jax, Bengals & Jets if they win out ; Steelers are 2-3 against those teams

So even if the Steelers beat the Rams, if they lose to the Ravens it comes down to "strength of victory" for a Titans tiebreaker

The Jets game may be where the season turned in ways we could never have foreseen at the time

Steel Pit
12-17-2007, 09:24 AM
Thanks for the above clarification

Here are the wildcard tiebreaker procedures:

If the tied clubs are from different divisions, apply the following steps.

Two Clubs

1. Head-to-head, if applicable.

2. Best won-lost-tied percentage in games played within the conference.

3. Best won-lost-tied percentage in common games, minimum of four.

4. Strength of victory.

5. Strength of schedule.

6. Best combined ranking among conference teams in points scored and points allowed.

7. Best combined ranking among all teams in points scored and points allowed.

8. Best net points in conference games.

9. Best net points in all games.

10. Best net touchdowns in all games.

11. Coin toss

http://www.nfl.com/standings/tiebreakingprocedures

Steelers currently are 7-4 in conference; Titans are 5-5; if Steelers lose to Ravens and Titans win out both will be 7-5

Titans will be 2-3 against Denver, Jax, Bengals & Jets if they win out ; Steelers are 2-3 against those teams

So even if the Steelers beat the Rams, if they lose to the Ravens it comes down to "strength of victory" for a Titans tiebreaker

The Jets game may be where the season turned in ways we could never have foreseen at the time

Mr. Rooney, heads or tails?:jawdrop:

Good information Dan, thanks.