PDA

View Full Version : Ike was injured

jjpro11
12-17-2007, 01:17 AM
i sure as hell hope he can play thursday. the rams have holt, who is as good as anybody. not to mention bruce and a tall wr in drew bennett.
i thought we benched smith for his poor play, i guess it was an injury instead.. but leads to further reasoning as to why starks should play left tackle and smith right tackle. starks started out as a LT and is left handed, smith started out as a RT and is right handed. starks has looked comfortable every time he has play LT this year.. its worth a try, anything is better than what we have going now.

Post Gazette
Injuries adding up

The Steelers lost two more starters yesterday and it's undetermined whether they will return to play Thursday night in St. Louis against the Rams.

Cornerback Ike Taylor left the game with a left knee injury and offensive tackle Marvel Smith left with recurring back problems, both in the fourth quarter.

Taylor said his knee was injured in the second quarter but he stayed in the game longer "just being stubborn."

He limped in the locker room but had no brace or bandage on either knee. He said he will have more tests today.

Smith "was in a great deal of pain," Tomlin said. "We decided to go with the healthy man, which was Max Starks."

Allen Rossum, the Steelers' kickoff and punt returner, left the game in the third quarter after receiving a blow to the head. Najeh Davenport replaced him on kickoff returns, and Cedrick Wilson took over on punt returns.

RoethlisBURGHer
12-17-2007, 01:20 AM
Personally, I am liking Starks better than Smith right now.

Rossum sucks anyhow, who really cares if he's hurt. That was a horrible signing.

I really hope Ike can play, we need him agaisnt a guy like Holt.

jjpro11
12-17-2007, 01:27 AM

Rossum sucks anyhow, who really cares if he's hurt. That was a horrible signing.

i cant say that i agree with you about rossum, being that we lost at least one game last season solely because of muffed punts. but we do really need ike.

The Duke
12-17-2007, 01:32 AM
Ike said he was being stubborn and stayed in the game. what is he thinking? they have another game in 4 days and he's being stubborn

I wanted for them to wait till next season to maybe change starks and smith, but seems like they should do that now. and bench Colon please, he's done nothing good all year

rossum is a solid returner. much better that last year's fumble mania.

Preacher
12-17-2007, 03:19 AM

I HAVE TO disagree with you. Rossum has eliminated our turnover troubles on ST. He is knowledgeable at the position... to the point where actions he takes that LOOK horrible are actually very smart (like going after a ball once a defender has touched it... because it becomes a free ball for the offense, without any fear of turnover).

I don't care that he doesn't get 20 yards a return. I care that we have eliminated the turnovers. Do you really want to go back to last year? Rossum is a good step away from that.

Galax Steeler
12-17-2007, 05:02 AM
I HAVE TO disagree with you. Rossum has eliminated our turnover troubles on ST. He is knowledgeable at the position... to the point where actions he takes that LOOK horrible are actually very smart (like going after a ball once a defender has touched it... because it becomes a free ball for the offense, without any fear of turnover).

I don't care that he doesn't get 20 yards a return. I care that we have eliminated the turnovers. Do you really want to go back to last year? Rossum is a good step away from that.

Have to agree preacher he is alot better then we had last year.

steelpride12
12-17-2007, 07:00 AM

I disagree with Rossum first of you have no respect for him to say that!
Second i think his returns on Kick offs were decent plus the one for a TD and alot of teams don't have that.
I agree about Smith and Starks starting over him the way he played as a backup, and Ike is terrible news most def. against a air attack team like the rams!

7/39/43
12-17-2007, 07:49 AM
Taylor's a bum any how, Rossum has seen his better days, the O line better get it's head out of it's a$$ 5 more sacks come on this is crazy, Hopefully we draft or sign a go to receiver to let Hines get more open

GBMelBlount
12-17-2007, 08:47 AM
Apparently Ike was trying to play through the pain which is only natural for competitive athletes but isn't always the smart thing to do. Apparently Aaron smith did the same thing. I will be even more concerned about our reeling defense if Ike is injured.

STEELtownHAVOX
12-17-2007, 10:20 AM
Taylor's a bum any how, Rossum has seen his better days, the O line better get it's head out of it's a$$ 5 more sacks come on this is crazy, Hopefully we draft or sign a go to receiver to let Hines get more open

Taylor a bum? ahahahahha, which Taylor are you referring to? Because the Taylor on our team is one of the best corners in the game. As for Rossum, he isn't fumbling the ball away. Not once has he lost a game for us this year. Can we say that about last year? Oh, I guess you forgot about last years draft pick in Santonio. Man, I'm just as upset about yesterdays and last weeks losses, but seriously, what's up with the the pessimistic, should I say, "opinions"?

ShutDown24
12-17-2007, 10:54 AM
Rossum is a smart player and one of the most solid kick returners in the league. We probably at least have another loss on our record with Reid back there who fumbled and muffed everything throughout training camp and pre-season.

Ike being out hurts a ton, but we all know how good McFadden can play so maybe it will be ok back there. As far as him being stubborn, anyone who has ever played knows when you are injured you don't want to leave the game, you are a competitor. It is easy for us to sit here and say he should have come out but when you want to help your team win...

BTW, who the hell called Taylor a bum? You know he is close to making the pro bowl in voting this year right? You know he has more tackles, passes defensed, interceptions and fumbles forced than Champ Bailey this year right (Check NFL.com stats)? Yeah, Ike is a bum.

SteelerFanInCA
12-17-2007, 11:38 AM
Hopefully Ike's injury is not too serious and he can bounce back this week.

7/39/43
12-17-2007, 04:27 PM
Yeah Bum! He gets caught for Pass interference more than any other player on the team(Deshae close second). Anyone can play with pain. they should of let him go a few years back. Didn't he and loud mouth Smith get burned 2x's each against NE, It happens at least once a game. Just my view on things

lilyoder6
12-17-2007, 04:34 PM
ooo he leads the TEAM for pass inf calls... ooooo... i thought that casey hampton was in the lead for that one.... no shit a cb is going to have the most calls against them b/c they are basically the only one's that play man up.... and i'm with shutdown24.. he is having a good yr better than most top notch cb's in the league.. and basically the only thing u said bad about ike was the past 2 games... some of them is not all his fault... he is our best corner... and should go to the pro bowl

fansince'76
12-17-2007, 04:38 PM
Please cool it, folks - thanks. :cheers:

HometownGal
12-17-2007, 04:42 PM
Taylor a bum? ahahahahha, which Taylor are you referring to? Because the Taylor on our team is one of the best corners in the game. As for Rossum, he isn't fumbling the ball away. Not once has he lost a game for us this year. Can we say that about last year? Oh, I guess you forgot about last years draft pick in Santonio. Man, I'm just as upset about yesterdays and last weeks losses, but seriously, what's up with the the pessimistic, should I say, "opinions"?

Saints be praised - don't even get me started. :banging:

I have absolutely NO problem with either Ike or Rossum. Not much more to say than what's already been said in this thread.

Ooooo. That's right. I'm a Mod. Am I permitted an opinion? :dang::wink02:

Preacher
12-17-2007, 04:48 PM
Saints be praised - don't even get me started. :banging:

I have absolutely NO problem with either Ike or Rossum. Not much more to say than what's already been said in this thread.

Ooooo. That's right. I'm a Mod. Am I permitted an opinion? :dang::wink02:

Come on HTG... You know the drill!

We are not going 15-1 this year and destroying teams along the way. So of COURSE Ike is a bum, Rossum sucks, Willie can't run, blah blah blah!

Jump on the bandwagon... We got us a fun little witch hunt!
:wink02:

Seriously people... HTG is dead on... Ike and Rossum are NOT our issue.

7/39/43
12-17-2007, 04:55 PM
more than one or 2 games he has been victimized. the last 2 years in fact hardly played worth a crap last year but Hey some people see things differently to each their own

Preacher
12-17-2007, 05:02 PM
more than one or 2 games he has been victimized. the last 2 years in fact hardly played worth a crap last year but Hey some people see things differently to each their own

What do you expect?

Him to be perfect every game?

Seriously.

Name me ONE CB that went a whole year without being victimized in a game? Go ahead. Deon Sanders? Nope. Rod Woodson? Nope. Champ Bailey? Nope.

Repeat after me:

I HAVE UNREAL EXPECTATIONS. I HAVE UNREAL EXPECTATIONS. I HAVE UNREAL EXPECTATIONS.

7/39/43
12-17-2007, 05:05 PM
Cute!
I know they aren't perfect but he is not the answer for Pittsburgh or pro bowl caliber

Atlanta Dan
12-17-2007, 05:06 PM
Seriously people... HTG is dead on... Ike and Rossum are NOT our issue.

I agree - the season obviously was lost when Chidi was not brought back to play on special teams

xXTheSteelKingsXx
12-17-2007, 05:12 PM
Cute!
I know they aren't perfect but he is not the answer for Pittsburgh or pro bowl caliber

Then who is the answer??? Ike is a great corner who does not get the recognition he deserves.

Preacher
12-17-2007, 05:13 PM
Cute!

thanks for taking it in the proper context... humor doesn't always come across on the board.

I think what your missing, is the difference between Ike Taylor the CB, and the system Ike plays in. Both CB's are primary run support.... playing containment to turn the run inside for our OLB's/MLB's to finish off. In order to do that, the CB has to first read the play, then react.

I believe they are the ONLY team that plays it in that way, which means that no other CB has the responsibility at the snap that a Steelers CB has.

I promise, I am not playing homer on this subject. Search my posts from last year and the off season. I was calling for Ike's head... and Deshea's. But this year, there is such a difference. What we are seeing right now is an issue of everyone wearing down, and a deeper question which I have asked before, is the zone blitz past its prime?

Preacher
12-17-2007, 05:16 PM
I agree - the season obviously was lost when Chidi was not brought back to play on special teams

Really? You think so?

I thought it was lost when we introduced Steely McBeem!!!!!!

:sofunny::sofunny:

fansince'76
12-17-2007, 05:17 PM
Really? You think so?

I thought it was lost when we introduced Steely McBeem!!!!!!

:sofunny::sofunny:

It's all Willie's fault! :toofunny:

Dino 6 Rings
12-17-2007, 05:32 PM
If Ike is hurt, McFadden needs to know his game, step up and play his role.

7/39/43
12-17-2007, 05:57 PM
I believe Gay will step next year and take over that spot the kid still learning but impressive yet

The Duke
12-17-2007, 06:23 PM
I believe Gay will step next year and take over that spot the kid still learning but impressive yet

Gay replacing Ike? that's crazy. even if Ike is not good like you say( even though he is) he wouldn't be replaced by Gay who is right now a 3rd or nickel CB at max

jjpro11
12-17-2007, 06:34 PM

theres probably less than 5 guys in the entire league, if that, who would start over ike.

7/39/43
12-17-2007, 08:01 PM
where was Ike at last year getting burned, So each season new coaches alot can happen in player devlopment in one year we shall see

jjpro11
12-17-2007, 08:34 PM
where was Ike at last year getting burned, So each season new coaches alot can happen in player devlopment in one year we shall see

where was the entire team last year other than willie parker?

.24lockdown
12-17-2007, 09:36 PM
yeah if you cant see that ike is a GREAT corner under a system where corners arent supposed to shine, then your blind. his coverage has been amazing this year.

and to whoever said rossum sucks, i dont know whats going on in your mind. TRUST me, rossum is an excellent returner and we are VERY lucky to have him, not only because of the comparison to last year, but he is a really smart returner. trust me on this, lol. we also have really bad special teams on both coverage and returning so it helps to have him.

stillers4me
12-17-2007, 09:49 PM
He ran a return in for a TD when the rest of the special teams did their jobs. He needs a little help.........

7/39/43
12-19-2007, 12:31 PM
five Pro Bowlers -- Roethlisberger, Faneca, linebacker James Harrison, running back Willie Parker and strong safety Troy Polamalu
well don't see Taylor

Steeldude
12-19-2007, 12:35 PM
gay isn't replacing taylor. if anything he will replace townsend.

The Duke
12-19-2007, 02:59 PM
five Pro Bowlers -- Roethlisberger, Faneca, linebacker James Harrison, running back Willie Parker and strong safety Troy Polamalu
well don't see Taylor

:rolleyes:

come on dude, the fact that someone said he's having a pro bowl year doesn't necessarily mean he's going to the pro bowl, it's just what people vote.

I don't mean to be rude but do you know how the pro bowl works? a lot of it comes from fan voting, people vote for their favorite players, that's why you see champ bailey there who is not doing as great as years before, he's been beaten deep many times, something ike hasn't.

it's about flashy players, like antonio cormartie and his 10 interceptions, but he has been beaten by many players too, and so has asante samuel. I'm not saying they're bad or that Ike is better than them, but that they are in the pro bowl means nothing, and it especially doesn't mean Ike is a bad corner.

xXTheSteelKingsXx
12-19-2007, 04:34 PM
well don't see Taylor

I also didn't see Fred Taylor or Mario Williams. This is just another example of how the pro bowl is only a popularity contest and doesn't prove anything for your arguement.

FourThreeMafia
12-19-2007, 04:41 PM
well don't see Taylor

:dang:

Clueless.

7/39/43
12-19-2007, 05:39 PM
Not hardly clueless! stating a fact that he will never be that kind of a corner. He is not the GOD some of you clwn think he is just watch and see.
nothing personal.

.24lockdown
12-19-2007, 09:05 PM
the only reason "he will never be that kind of a corner" is because he has butter fingers witch causes him to have les int's which is what most people look at. its OBVIOUS if you watch every game that Ike's coverage has been GREAT this year.

xXTheSteelKingsXx
12-19-2007, 09:50 PM
Not hardly clueless! stating a fact that he will never be that kind of a corner. He is not the GOD some of you clwn think he is just watch and see.
nothing personal.

I don't think any of us are calling him a god. We're just saying that he is a good corner and deserves more respect for his play rather than being called a "bum".

7/39/43
12-19-2007, 10:14 PM
the only reason "he will never be that kind of a corner" is because he has butter fingers witch causes him to have les int's which is what most people look at. its OBVIOUS if you watch every game that Ike's coverage has been GREAT this year.

i seen all but 1 game, just don't like what I see in him the way he covers just can't change my mind

LVSteelersfan
12-20-2007, 12:53 AM
Rossum does not have any better blocking in front of him than Ben does. You cannot run the ball back with such bad blocking techniques. I think the only good blockers on the whole team are Ward and Holmes and maybe Heath Miller when he isn't getting called for holding. And Ike is one of the best at his position out there. Period. Everyone gets burned at times. Most of the time when he is burned it is the idiot Smith that is out of position. It takes two to cover back there and if Smith bites on play action and the receiver is 25 yards behind him, Ike doesn't stand a chance in hell. Smith should never bite on play action because Troy is always everywhere on the field. He needs to hold his position and stay with his receiver EVERY TIME.

Steeldude
12-20-2007, 10:11 AM
are fans on this board using the pro bowl to determine if a player is good or bad? lmao.

the pro bowl doesn't mean anything at all. maybe 20 years ago it meant something, but not anymore.

rbryan
12-20-2007, 10:20 AM
Since we're calling out all the clowns today

It's a quaint little "drinking" town with a football problem

First saw that saying on a T-Shirt 25 years ago in the Florida keys, except they swap out football with fishing.

7/39/43
12-20-2007, 09:48 PM
pro bowl caliber?????????? my a$$!
BUM! enough said

lilyoder6
12-20-2007, 09:55 PM
wow.. u have a great vocabulary.. bum.. so i guess that baily, roy williams, bob sanders, and evry other db in the league are bums as well since they have let a person or two burn them on a route???

7/39/43
12-20-2007, 09:59 PM
come on all but 1 maybe 2 plays they re really pickin his number

xXTheSteelKingsXx
12-21-2007, 07:33 AM
Oh your right. Taylor is just a bum. How dare he pick off a pass and run it back for a touch down. I don't know what I was thinking.:coffee:

HometownGal
12-21-2007, 07:41 AM
Oh your right. Taylor is just a bum. How dare he pick off a pass and run it back for a touch down. I don't know what I was thinking.:coffee:

That pick was HUGE last night. Good job Ike! :cheers:

Well -at least he called him a "bum". A$$ would have been worse. :coffee:

7/39/43
12-21-2007, 08:32 AM
he had 4 good plays last nite that's it. Even neon Deon Sanders was pick on him the whole broadcast, I don't like Sanders but he was not a bad corner at all he knows how to play it. sure they all let crap get by but this is a repetitive thing week in and week out, Heck the one reciever caught the ball fell to the ground and Ike turned away like oh man luckily some one else came in and touchd him down, come one now reminds me of Chad Scott never know which guy will be in the uniform!
BUM is the word I have use here only to be politically correct, and not get banned!

lamberts-lost-tooth
12-21-2007, 08:46 AM
he had 4 good plays last nite that's it. Even neon Deon Sanders was pick on him the whole broadcast, I don't like Sanders but he was not a bad corner at all he knows how to play it. sure they all let crap get by but this is a repetitive thing week in and week out, Heck the one reciever caught the ball fell to the ground and Ike turned away like oh man luckily some one else came in and touchd him down, come one now reminds me of Chad Scott never know which guy will be in the uniform!
BUM is the word I have use here only to be politically correct, and not get banned!

For the record...Ike is a better CB than Deon will ever be an analyst....you might want to be more selective about your choice of reference.

I think you may be going overboard in your criticism of Ike...Ike is paired against the best recievers every game, and traditionally has made recievers like Chad Johnson look serviceable...at best.
Deshea cant run with the recievers that stretch the field...so his possession recievers are only getting 7 yards a pop. Ike has the unenviable task of looking like he is getting burned if you only watch espn highlights, because he has the reciever who gets the 20 yard passes. Ike has the talent to be a pro-bowler, just not the technique yet. ...But one of the posters brings up a good point...Ike could start for 99 % of the teams in the league.

7/39/43
12-21-2007, 09:03 AM
wasn't really usin Deon asa refence in comparison the guy does make some solid points about coverage,

susielr
12-21-2007, 09:10 AM
That pick was HUGE last night. Good job Ike! :cheers:

Well -at least he called him a "bum". A$$ would have been worse. :coffee:

Surely took the game out of reach for the Rams.

lamberts-lost-tooth
12-21-2007, 09:11 AM
wasn't really usin Deon asa refence in comparison the guy does make some solid points about coverage,

Deon could cover, in fact was one of the best cover corners ever... but was one of the biggest wusses when it came to run stopping. He has no business telling anyone how Ike can improve his game when he spent his entire career running from tackles.
If Rod Woodson wants to give CB tips...I'll listen. Deon can just keep :jerkit:

7/39/43
12-21-2007, 09:13 AM
that is true he hated to be hit or hit someone

lamberts-lost-tooth
12-21-2007, 09:20 AM
that is true he hated to be hit or hit someone

Cant stand him....Ironically enough...the two rudest football players...at least to people I know...were Deon Sanders and Marshall Faulk....and both were there last night. What really burns my grits is that both (for purely financial reasons) try and play off like they are likable people while analyzing games.

7/39/43
12-21-2007, 09:33 AM
they kept changing their story last night. no way in he_ _ should Faulks number be retired

HometownGal
12-21-2007, 09:38 AM
they kept changing their story last night. no way in he_ _ should Faulks number be retired

I have to disagree there. Faulk was one of the best all purpose backs in the modern era and one of the few Rams players likely to get into the HOF. He was quite beloved in St. Louie - still is.

The Duke
12-21-2007, 12:22 PM
is this guy serious? first criticizes Ike and now Marshall Faulk, one of the best runningbacks ever. seriously, dude stop bashing good and great players, especially guys like Faulk

7/39/43
12-21-2007, 02:18 PM
is this guy serious? first criticizes Ike and now Marshall Faulk, one of the best runningbacks ever. seriously, dude stop bashing good and great players, especially guys like Faulk

YEAH FREAKIN SERIOUS! ike is still a bum Faulk was good but my opinion not good enough to have his number retired, If iI was rams fan well you know how fans are, sure he will make it to the hall .
then again they did vote in a coke head with Irvin, so why not vote in Ike too!
This is cool at least I am getting under some peoples skin.
I am a truely devoted steeler fan been following them since I was 8 now 46 had season tickets for 10 years at 3 rivers, but I call them like I see them
everyone has an opinion if you don't like mine TOO BAD!