PDA

View Full Version : Steelers Report Card Week #14

HometownGal
12-17-2007, 08:21 AM
Other than the C+ given to Ben, which I believe should be a B, I agree with the remainder of the "grades". Ben was constantly under siege yesterday and other than a few bad passes (and the dropsies by his receivers), he played fairly well, imho.

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/07351/842272-66.stm

Report Card / Game 14 -- Steelers vs. Jaguars
Monday, December 17, 2007
Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Matt Freed/Post-Gazette

Steelers coach Mike Tomlin yells to a referee after interference wasn't called on a pass play in the first quarter Sunday. (vs. Jaguars 12/16/2007)GERRY DULAC grades the Steelers' effort in a 29-22 loss yesterday to the Jaguars. The report is broken down into offensive and defensive positions, special teams and coaching.

Quarterback: C+
Ben Roethlisberger threw three more touchdowns to set a team single-season record and rallied the Steelers from a 22-7 deficit in the fourth quarter. What's more, he did not throw an interception, despite missing two days of practice with a sore right shoulder, and he did not get a lot of help from his receivers, who dropped three passes.

Running backs: B
Despite getting his eighth 100-yard game of the season on only 14 carries, Willie Parker was not a big factor because the team had to play from behind in the fourth quarter. Still, he averaged 7.1 yards per attempt and his biggest play was a 27-yard run with a lateral on a play in which it appeared Roethlisberger would be sacked, leading to the tying touchdown.

Receivers: C-
Two drops by Hines Ward and another by tight end Heath Miller in the end zone are what will be remembered about this game. Ward atoned with an 11-yard touchdown between two defenders and Miller made a nice adjustment on a tipped pass to catch an 18-yard touchdown. The only big play was a 30-yard touchdown by Nate Washington -- his only catch -- in the fourth quarter. Give Cedrick Wilson credit for a hard, accurate throw on a 2-point conversion to Santonio Holmes.

Offensive line: D
A tough day for LT Marvel Smith, the team's best pass protector, who gave up four of the five sacks before being replaced in the fourth quarter because of a back injury. Roethlisberger was under too much pressure, especially in the first half, forcing him to move up in the pocket. But the line did a nice job creating running room for Parker, who had runs of 13, 13, 16 and 27 yards against the league's No. 5 rush defense.

Defensive line: F
Need any more proof how much DE Aaron Smith will be missed? The Jaguars rushed for 224 yards on 42 carries, the most in seven years against the Steelers, and averaged 5.3 yards per attempt. Fred Taylor was the second back in five games to rush for more than 100 yards (147 on 25 carries, a Heinz Field record for an opponent).

Linebackers: F
It was the third time this season the defense gave up a winning drive in the final minute or overtime, and the Jaguars did it by rushing for 53 of the 73 yards. Larry Foote was a standout, with 10 tackles and a nice pass breakup on third down in the fourth quarter. But the linebackers were responsible for letting Maurice Jones-Drew run for 20 and 17 yards on two delays in third-and-long situations.

Secondary: D
After allowing four touchdown passes against the Patriots, the secondary gave up three more to Garrard. What's more, they served up another long touchdown -- a 55-yarder in which CB Ike Taylor and S Anthony Smith were beaten down the right sideline. Smith gained some redemption with an interception and 50-yard return that sparked a fourth-quarter comeback, but it wasn't enough. S Troy Polamalu was outstanding after missing three games with a knee injury.

Special teams: B
Can't blame this one on special teams. The brightest spot was P Daniel Sepulveda, who dropped two punts inside the 20 and nailed a 55-yarder from his end zone when field position mattered in the first half. Also, he did a good job handling a high snap on an extra point in cold, wet conditions.

Coaching: D
It was the first time this season the Steelers have lost back-to-back games, and the reasons are not encouraging -- slow starting on offense, late collapses on defense. Mike Tomlin wants to blame it on poor fundamentals, but the team has lost three of its past five games and won the other two by a combined six points. Defensive coordinator Dick LeBeau needs to stop the leaks in the league's No. 1 defense.

Atlanta Dan
12-17-2007, 08:24 AM
How does Ben get a C+ for three TD passes and no interceptions while running for his life while throwing passes to receivers who were not catching anything?

The only major problem is he just needs to start throwing the ball away rather than take all teh sacks.

Steeldude
12-17-2007, 08:34 AM
How does Ben get a C+ for three TD passes and no interceptions while running for his life while throwing passes to receivers who were not catching anything?

The only major problem is he just needs to start throwing the ball away rather than take all teh sacks.

i'm guessing because he missed some wide open receivers and held the ball too long(which you pointed out). he was also careless while holding the ball in the pocket. those are the only things i can think of at the moment.

The Duke
12-17-2007, 10:47 AM
Ben deserves a freakin A plus!

The_WARDen
12-17-2007, 11:10 AM
How does the offensive line get a D and not an F?? The whole defense also gets an F.

Dino 6 Rings
12-17-2007, 01:27 PM
Since this is a Team Sport...and the TEAM lost...

I give everyone an F!!!

except Ben...he's still awesome but I am starting to agree with the NFL network commercials...he should grow his beard back.

CanadianSteel
12-17-2007, 02:59 PM
Ben is a be coming a true leader in every sense of the word. He has all the reason to complain about the O line this year, but instead has improved his own game behind what we all agree is a Sieve line. Not sure where the C+ came from for yesterday ??
He did have some issues bit overall I think a B would be better suited.
Ben is the only reason I see thta we are not a 500 team this year.

Dynasty
12-17-2007, 04:05 PM
Very true. Ben is a truly talented player... he will be the best in the league by the time he's done. If we didn't have him, I don't know if we would even be .500...

Edman
12-17-2007, 04:19 PM
No Ben, this team is 7-9 at best.

They say it's a team game, but the Defense and Offensive Line lost this game.

The best we can hope for is that Steelers just make the playoffs. Forget the division title. They shot that opportunity to hell.

Preacher
12-17-2007, 04:40 PM
I have no idea how our O line can get a D, and our D line can get an F. Seems to me our D line was better then our o line.... then again, that isn't saying much at all.

I say reverse the grades. Also, Ben should get an A- for the game.

Steeldude
12-18-2007, 12:19 AM
the D-line was schorched for 224 yards by taylor and jones. they were also burned on two obvious draws on 3rd and long. - F

our O-line did open holes for parker - C

that's why they both lines did not receive an F.

BR is not without blame. he holds the ball too long when looking for the WRs. this has been a trend of his since coming into the league. BR also had another poor first half. no, he doesn't deserve and D or an F. i think a B- is about right.

Preacher
12-18-2007, 12:43 AM
the D-line was schorched for 224 yards by taylor and jones. they were also burned on two obvious draws on 3rd and long. - F

our O-line did open holes for parker - C

that's why they both lines did not receive an F.

BR is not without blame. he holds the ball too long when looking for the WRs. this has been a trend of his since coming into the league. BR also had another poor first half. no, he doesn't deserve and D or an F. i think a B- is about right.

Hmmm.

either he holds the ball longer, giving our receivers a chance to get open, or he throws the ball away, ending drives. I prefer the former.

Once again. We are not a run team anymore. a 5 yard loss on a sack is not the kiss of death it once was.

Steeldude
12-18-2007, 10:10 AM
Hmmm.

either he holds the ball longer, giving our receivers a chance to get open, or he throws the ball away, ending drives. I prefer the former.

Once again. We are not a run team anymore. a 5 yard loss on a sack is not the kiss of death it once was.

i prefer throwing the ball away instead of getting sacked(possibly injured) and/or forcing the ball. a better idea would be for BR to read the field quicker. ending the drive with a zero gain and healthy QB is better than a loss of yards and possible injury.

BR has always been indecisive when throwing quickly. it doesn't take our WRs 6 seconds to get open. if they do take that long then arians is at fault or the WRs are too slow.

IMO, a 5 yard loss is a kiss of death for this offense. when it's blatantly obvious that the steelers are going to pass then BR is in trouble.

CanadianSteel
12-18-2007, 10:54 AM
Ben is not perfect for sure - and maybe we need to change the plays for more quick hitters than longer routes. Lets take a page from the Pats playbook against us - spread thenm out and deliver the ball quickly to Health & Hines inside.
At least wotrh a try for a couple drives...... IMHO