PDA

View Full Version : A Letter to the Coaches...A Philosophy Change Desperately Needed!

mrdw15
12-17-2007, 10:39 PM
To the Pittsburgh Steelers Coaching Staff,

I mentioned this once before and I'll mention it again. Why not go to the short passing game. That would be 6 to 8 yards on 1st down 75 to 80% of the time throughout the game. The Rams would be the perfect game to give this type of philosophy a try.

We are not a great physical team this year & our offensive line is under sized compared to most of the defensive lines out there. With that said we should be compensating by throwing quick passes to the tight ends or slants to the wide-outs
on 1st & 2nd down.

A great team should always be able to adjust to the strength of their players. For this year that should the quick passes. The Colts & the Patriots will pass 30 straight times when the run isn't effective enough to move the ball.

Our offensive coordinator should not be afraid to do the same when needed. 10 to 15 passes in a row should be called if we are successful throwing it. As long as they are short & precise passes that are spread around to the tight ends & wide receivers.

All you have to do is get the stats on how successful we are when throwing short passes compared to how successful we are when trying to run the ball throughout the past 14 games or trying to throw over 15 yards.

We've had 14 games trying to run the ball mostly or throw the ball deep when the run goes nowhere. We clearly don't have the offensive line to do that consistently. They are not going to suddenly become great at protecting Ben now. All of the practice in the world won't help at this stage of the season.

The fact that we are known for being the physical & power run type of team is one thing but when you don't have the personnel to back that statement up you've got to adjust & adjust in a major way.

We are much too predictable on offense because of the so called power game of ours. Due to the weakness in our offensive line, Ben should be releasing that ball within 2.5 secs for at least 90% of his throws in the 1st half alone.

It should be obvious by now that our defense isn't as strong as the numbers suggest but it's our offense that's preventing us from winning the big games. With a modified "West Coast ' passing attack we can still move the ball down the field & eat up the clock while scoring a lot more consistently.

Please coach Tomlin, let's go on a passing attack with short 6 to 8 yards on 1st & 2nd down. Use an extra running back for blocking if necessary. Once you establish the fact that you can move the ball consistently by passing for short yardage and getting a lead of 14 or more points, that should open up the run and perhaps even the long pass in the 2nd half of the game (preferably 4th quarter).

Again, you should know by now the power game isn't going to do it for us this year.
If you want to shake up the NFL and the world for that matter you need to revamp that offense of ours and change to a short yardage passing game.

Ben will be a lot healthier because he won't be running for his life most of the time.
The sacks will be cut by 75% and the offense will be on the field 50% more than they have been. Your screen passes will work better after establishing the quick pass as well.

Ask yourself why not at this stage, why not give it a try. I realize I'm just a dedicated fan but I'm just using common sense and a sensible approach to saving our season here. Most importantly, going further into the playoffs with a solid chance to beating the Colts and/or the Patriots this year.

Sincerely,
mrdw15

Stlr4ever
12-17-2007, 11:03 PM
Just out of curiosity, do you really think that the coaches read and/or about what the fans have to say?

Preacher
12-17-2007, 11:09 PM
Just out of curiosity, do you really think that the coaches read and/or about what the fans have to say?

It sure is a way for fans to get something off their chest.

stlrtruck
12-17-2007, 11:11 PM

You never know until you try. They're already not listening to the fans so it can't get any worse - why not give it a try.

And while they may not care, PREACH is right - fans just need to let off steam.

Atlanta Dan
12-17-2007, 11:20 PM

Some players may (Curt Shilling is known to go on Boston Red Sox fan sites) but I think they are younger and feed off the emotions - for coaches it is business and they are too consumed to give a damn what ignorant fans such as myself have to say

I admit I am just ranting when it comes to ragging on Arians but it is a source of entertainment for me - Arians can learn as much from me telling him what plays to run as I could from him telling me how to strike a jury or write a summary judgment motion - but since he is in the entertainment business he is going to hear from the audience whether he likes it or not:sofunny:

Preacher
12-17-2007, 11:22 PM
Some players may (Curt Shilling is known to go on Boston Red Sox fan sites) but I think they are younger and feed off the emotions - for coaches it is business and they are too consumed to give a damn what ignorant fans such as myself have to say

I admit I am just ranting when it comes to ragging on Arians but it is a source of entertainment for me - Arians can learn as much from me telling him what plays to run as I could from him telling me how to strike a jury or write a summary judgment motion - but since he is in the entertainment business he is going to hear from the audience whether he likes it or not:sofunny:

Too true... way too true.

Rhee Rhee
12-18-2007, 03:54 AM
ben is no colt brennan in a sense that i dont know if ben can make that throw on a consistent basis.. i remember 2004 afc championship a pass to jermane tuman simple out pattern intercepted i think by rodney harrison ran it all the way back to like the 20... that play is stuck in my head... and will forever haunt me..

Galax Steeler
12-18-2007, 04:50 AM
I think given time ben could complete them type of passes it would be worth a try.

SteelerFanInCA
12-18-2007, 12:42 PM
Even if the coaches never read it, it's still a great way to blow off some steam.

rbryan
12-18-2007, 01:01 PM
I'm usually not one for giving advice to football coaches. I figure theres a good reason they are being paid million$ and I'm sitting here pecking away on a message board, but that seems like a good idea.

CanadianSteel
12-18-2007, 01:13 PM
Agree with this approach, Aa least maybe try it a few times on a couple, different drives. It worked for NE against us so maybe we could use/try similar tactics.
Spread the field a bit and throw some quick stuff inside to Hines and Health.
Maybe that would open things up for the runnign game and keep Ben off his back.
I think I heard Belichek say it also helped to identify where the pressure is coming from as well. It would be inbtereseting to see how Ben could operate this type of approach for sure.....

MasterOfPuppets
12-18-2007, 01:43 PM
I'm usually not one for giving advice to football coaches. I figure theres a good reason they are being paid million$ and I'm sitting here pecking away on a message board, but that seems like a good idea.there's also a good reason why they get fired so often.

vardogr
12-18-2007, 02:10 PM
i agree that coaches probably dont have time to listen . . . i dont even know how they have time to do press conferences, they have to plan for next weeks game the day after the previous one, and prepare the players . . .

The Steelers obviously need personnel adjustments on the offensive line, and there are holes elsewhere. Until the off season when those are possible it does seem logical to change the game plan up a bit.

I am frustrated after the Jacksonville game as well, sometimes it seems like in Tomlin we wanted someone to replace Cowher's toughness, but all we got was conservativeness. We play all consverative this year, and yet we dont run over anybody. There is also a mental dominance that hasn't been there.

I think that all it takes is a shift in momentum in one of these games and the Steelers could really explode in the playoffs. The Steelers are known for coming out for games and physically destroying opponents, thats why they ran the ball. its not because they were conservative. If we can win the super bowl by throwing i would rather they do that

oh and the one game i remember that was a no contest blow out: Steelers vs Ravens, Ben threw 5 td passes in the first half . . .. go figure