PDA

View Full Version : James Farrior

Stlr4ever
12-17-2007, 09:51 PM
What's wrong with JF? His performance has been a far cry from his DP of the year in 2004. His performance was pretty weak in the Jags game. If we can't count on our LB corps, then we are $crewed. We might as well bid good bye to the post-season. Our D scheme lives and dies by the LB corps performance. In the past, we didn't need great NT & DEs because our LBs took care of the business. But now our front 3 are not exactly a challenge to our opposing OLinemen. Poor DL performance+Poor LB performance = disasterous defense. I am not surprised that the Jags dominated our team on both sides of the ball.

Rhee Rhee
12-18-2007, 02:51 AM
all u can do is draft a stud LB this year... (but then everyone will cry about the o-line)

Galax Steeler
12-18-2007, 03:52 AM
We don't need to draft a linebacker this year I think woodley and timmons will do just fine if given playing time.

xXTheSteelKingsXx
12-18-2007, 06:16 AM
Farrior was playing well at the start of the year. Maybe with him getting up in age the 16 game season is just starting to wear on him.

HometownGal
12-18-2007, 06:38 AM
Farrior was playing well at the start of the year. Maybe with him getting up in age the 16 game season is just starting to wear on him.

James will be 33 years old in January, so you may be right.

His stats are down a bit from the last two seasons, but what I've noticed most about James the last couple of games is that his intensity and fire is lacking. This isn't the James Farrior I'm used to seeing on the field.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/players/stats?playerId=1219

lamberts-lost-tooth
12-18-2007, 06:52 AM
Listen to me folks....J. Leman, ILB from Illinois...I dont say this lightly but this kid reminds me of Lambert himself in the way he approaches the game!!! I think that we HAVE to address ILB early in the next draft (3rd-4th round) unless we switch to 4-3 next year and Timmons moves inside.

aussiesteelers
12-18-2007, 07:06 AM
ive seen leman and looks really good ILB. if we can get him in the 4th round or later, that would be a great pickup. He seems like a foottball player and not an athlete who plays football. I take the football player over the athlete

Michael Keller
12-18-2007, 08:29 AM
James will be 33 years old in January, so you may be right.

His stats are down a bit from the last two seasons, but what I've noticed most about James the last couple of games is that his intensity and fire is lacking. This isn't the James Farrior I'm used to seeing on the field.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/players/stats?playerId=1219

I could not agree with you more, the fire is not there. I have been noticing this all year across the board. The guy with the most fire is playing very badly, A Smith.

lamberts-lost-tooth
12-18-2007, 08:33 AM
ive seen leman and looks really good ILB. if we can get him in the 4th round or later, that would be a great pickup. He seems like a foottball player and not an athlete who plays football. I take the football player over the athlete

He will open some eyes in the Rose bowl and his draft stock will probably go up. But the draft is stocked with good LBers this year and we have to find some young blood.

IDSteeler
12-18-2007, 04:56 PM
I would be shocked if we drafted an LB before round 4 this draft. Here's a crazy idea how bout we find a FA LB and sign him. Damn...thats scary...

Atlanta Dan
12-18-2007, 05:00 PM
I would be shocked if we drafted an LB before round 4 this draft. Here's a crazy idea how bout we find a FA LB and sign him. Damn...thats scary...

No way we draft a LB - we are trading up for another punter - you can never have enough depth at punter

GBMelBlount
12-18-2007, 05:14 PM
No way we draft a LB - we are trading up for another punter - you can never have enough depth at punter

:rofl::laughing:

But let's make sure he can play linebacker too......just in case.

BlastFurnace
12-18-2007, 05:17 PM

I thought we needed another blocking Tight End. There should be a good one available in the 2nd round.

br7
12-18-2007, 06:22 PM
I think james is way underated by the media!

Sharkissle29
12-18-2007, 07:46 PM
who do you guys see as our starting linebackers next year?

lilyoder6
12-18-2007, 07:56 PM
draft dan connor from PSU.. def player of the yr in coll.

Elvis
12-18-2007, 08:00 PM
We don't need to draft a linebacker this year I think woodley and timmons will do just fine if given playing time.
:thumbsup: Agreed!!!

Elvis
12-18-2007, 08:02 PM
who do you guys see as our starting linebackers next year?
I see it like this myself...
OLB James Harrison
MLB Lawrence Timmons
MLB Larry Foote
OLB Lamar Woodley

Preacher
12-18-2007, 08:17 PM
Listen to me folks....J. Leman, ILB from Illinois...I dont say this lightly but this kid reminds me of Lambert himself in the way he approaches the game!!! I think that we HAVE to address ILB early in the next draft (3rd-4th round) unless we switch to 4-3 next year and Timmons moves inside.

I would ONLY be happy with that if we picked up two OLs in the first two rounds, and a FA for the line. I want at least THREE new lineman for next year. Then I am willing to look around at other positions.

MasterOfPuppets
12-18-2007, 08:17 PM
I would be shocked if we drafted an LB before round 4 this draft. Here's a crazy idea how bout we find a FA LB and sign him. Damn...thats scary...Karlos Dansby, UFA, Arizona Cardinals
Dansby may very well end up being the cream of the crop in terms of linebackers during the next free agency period. He has excellent size and is coming into his own as a top level defensive player. He will turn 26 later this season and has consecutive seasons of 80 or more tackles. He also collected three interceptions in ?05 and an impressive eight sacks in ?06. Being young, strong, and talented should land him a large contract, and the Cardinals could be the team locking him up very soon.

or a cheaper version....

Boss Bailey, UFA, Detroit Lions
Bailey has strong coverage skills and works hard to make plays. Bailey is physically gifted, but he has battled injury the past two seasons and hasn?t had a chance to show consistent play. Due to lost games, he?s also been unable to work on developing a knack for tracking down the ball. Bailey needs to be more physical, but also find a way to stay healthy. He?ll turn 28 early in the season, and will need to be on the field to garner attention on the free agent market.

http://www.footballsfuture.com/2008/nfl/freeagentsLB.html

Preacher
12-18-2007, 08:20 PM
Karlos Dansby, UFA, Arizona Cardinals
Dansby may very well end up being the cream of the crop in terms of linebackers during the next free agency period. He has excellent size and is coming into his own as a top level defensive player. He will turn 26 later this season and has consecutive seasons of 80 or more tackles. He also collected three interceptions in ?05 and an impressive eight sacks in ?06. Being young, strong, and talented should land him a large contract, and the Cardinals could be the team locking him up very soon.

Funny, I always go and pick him off teams in Madden.

Of course, if you can do it with Madden, you should ALWAYS do it in real life! After all, they are the same right?

Ok... Really,

It seems that he does have speed. If he can stop the run and pass protect, it sure would be nice to have four LB's that will be together for the next 4 to 5 years.

SteelCityMan786
12-18-2007, 08:29 PM
Come on, can't linebacker u get any love? Dan Connor. Hell down the line Pittsburgh's Own Sean Lee is avaliable.

jjpro11
12-18-2007, 09:20 PM
Come on, can't linebacker u get any love? Dan Connor. Hell down the line Pittsburgh's Own Sean Lee is avaliable.

lee wont turn pro this year.

Preacher
12-18-2007, 09:23 PM

No, I REALLY don't want to wast a draft pick on a LB this year. Compared to our OL, we are doing well at LB.

RoethlisBURGHer
12-18-2007, 11:16 PM
We drafted LB the first two rounds last year. We really need someone who can play center, because Sean Mahan is NOT the Pittsburgh Steelers' center of the future.

Draft a center in the first round, move Mahan to LG to replace Faneca.

Preacher
12-18-2007, 11:24 PM
We drafted LB the first two rounds last year. We really need someone who can play center, because Sean Mahan is NOT the Pittsburgh Steelers' center of the future.

You know, I would LOVE to see Mahan be able to play that position. that would be GREAT.

RoethlisBURGHer
12-18-2007, 11:42 PM
You know, I would LOVE to see Mahan be able to play that position. that would be GREAT.

It's more of his natural position, he played it in Tampa Bay. He plaid center in a pinch where there were injuries and guys needed moved around.

I think Mahan would be a monster gaurd in this offense.

Not to mention, we can just let Faneca walk without worrying about who replaces him at LG.

Preacher
12-18-2007, 11:55 PM
It's more of his natural position, he played it in Tampa Bay. He plaid center in a pinch where there were injuries and guys needed moved around.

I think Mahan would be a monster gaurd in this offense.

Not to mention, we can just let Faneca walk without worrying about who replaces him at LG.

Man...

that would just be beautiful. Especially if Starks can actually play left tackle... it seems he has done a much better job there then earlier in the year, and better then Smith has done.

That would only leave the right side to fix.

Wait a second, There is thought of Simmons as Center... that would be nice as well.

HometownGal
12-19-2007, 09:03 AM
We really need someone who can play center, because Sean Mahan is NOT the Pittsburgh Steelers' center of the future.

Agreed. Mahan is not a natural center - he is a guard. We've been so blessed with great centers since 1974 - Webby, Dermontti and Hartings - that we've become so accustomed to seeing greatness at that position. I believe moving Mahan over to LG is the right way to go - I think we will see a great improvement in his play and ability to block.

steel58
12-19-2007, 09:10 AM
After the Jacksonville game, it is pretty clear how important Aaron Smith is to the Steelers. Without him, we won't advance in the post-season if we even make it that far

Steeldude
12-19-2007, 09:18 AM
i think the offseason, FA and the draft will focus on OL, OL, OL, OL... or at lesat it should.

as for the farrior...well...he is getting old. he still better than foote.

OLB - woodley
MLB - farrior
MLB - timmons
OLB - harrison

or switch harrison and timmons

Steeldude
12-19-2007, 09:19 AM
Agreed. Mahan is not a natural center - he is a guard. We've been so blessed with great centers since 1974 - Webby, Dermontti and Hartings - that we've become so accustomed to seeing greatness at that position. I believe moving Mahan over to LG is the right way to go - I think we will see a great improvement in his play and ability to block.

that's what i am hoping also. i wonder if stapleton will be moved to center. i can't see simmons doing well at center if he is pushed around at guard.

coachspeak33
12-19-2007, 10:21 AM
Farrior isnt gonna play for peanuts....His continued level of adequate play might price himself right off the 2008 steelers roster

Foote takes a lot of grief on this site....but he is exactly what colbert & the rooneys want...slightly above average and fairly cheap in cap hit

He isnt going anywhere

Stlr4ever
12-19-2007, 11:13 AM
Farrior isnt gonna play for peanuts....His continued level of adequate play might price himself right off the 2008 steelers roster

Foote takes a lot of grief on this site....but he is exactly what colbert & the rooneys want...slightly above average and fairly cheap in cap hit

He isnt going anywhere

"slightly above average" is definitely not in the interest of building a strong defense, especially in the 3-4 scheme. When you consider the level of competition in the AFC (Pats, Jags, Colts...etc.), we can't afford to have average to slightly average LBs; same thing goes for secondary and OL too. If the front office can't acquire better players for the aforementioned key positions, we may never contend for the AFCC & SB. Oh, if the OL continues to be the way it is, Ben may be forced to retire prematurely with frequent injuries. That's what happened to Archie Manning (Peyton Manning's dad)

mastermind1967
12-19-2007, 02:00 PM
I think we are focusing on an area that already has untapped talent. Our LBs have slipped a little over the last few weeks, but we have to top prospects waiting in the wings to play alongside a new Pro bowler in Harrison. The Steelers troubles are with the O line. If we get back to bruising run blocking and give Ben the amount of time we used to give O'donnell, we become a monster team.

A true shut down corner would help a lot. The way our corners play the pass, we get killed on short routes. (Brady to Welker for FIVE straight completions)

tony hipchest
12-19-2007, 11:53 PM
What's wrong with JF? His performance has been a far cry from his DP of the year in 2004.

classic case of the tale of the "whopper" that got away. the 4 lb. fish caught becomes 5,6, and 7 pounds as the years pass.

ed reed was the defensive mvp in '04. farrior was runner up. james is holding his own this season-
James Farrior leads the defense with 99 tackles and is second with six sacks

i know steelerfans want a pro bowler and hall of famer at every position, but it just isnt happening in this day and age.

jjpro11
12-20-2007, 12:57 AM
farrior still does lead the team in tackles and has 6 sacks and a number of passes defended. i think if we were to replace or get rid of a guy based on the the last couple weeks, half the defense would be gone. they all seem to be in some sort of funk.