PDA

View Full Version : Depressing times in Steeler Land.

Edman
12-18-2007, 03:20 AM
The Steelers are imploding. It's right there in front of our faces. One week after getting passed on in New England, Jacksonville embarrassed them on the ground Sunday.

Not too long ago, this team had a sizable 2-3 game lead in the AFC North. It's gone. It's gotten so bad that Cleveland actually has a shot to win the division now. All it takes is one more Steeler choke job. Pittsburgh is faltering and Cleveland is coasting. At this rate, This team might not even make the playoffs, let alone win the division. Even more embarrassing was the home crowd.

I have a tiny bit of faith left, but I'm having severe problems drumming up confidence that this team could beat the lowly Rams on Thursday. We have already seen how this team plays on the road. Especially against bad teams.

Galax Steeler
12-18-2007, 04:57 AM
Hopefully the jacksonville game was a wake up call and we start playing some ball these last two games.

bozz723
12-18-2007, 06:39 AM
There is no point to this thread. It's been said a billion times, steelers suck, they won't make the playoffs, they won't beat the rams, the browns are soo good..

The browns suck #1. They wont win their last two by a long shot. In fact I'm pretty sure they will lose to both Cincinnati and San Francisco. The browns are a fraud..ok over..

#2, the Steelers played awful the past two weeks. However, their offense hasn't been stopped. We can run, we can pass. It is only a matter of time before we throw 40 up on the board, and I think it will be thursday.

#3, once the Steelers get into the playoffs, anything can and will happen. It's a new season and a new beginning. That is when we return to dominance.

lamberts-lost-tooth
12-18-2007, 06:51 AM
This team is only dissapointing to those who had higher expectations than was deserved.

New coach...New Line...New playbook...

I personally have enjoyed the season and the fact that we will probably win the Division shows that this team OVERCAME some pretty substantial obstacles.

I'm not depressed at all....BRING ON THE PLAYOFFS!!!!!:cheer::cheer::tt02::tt02::cheer: :cheer:

CanadianSteel
12-18-2007, 10:36 AM
This team is only dissapointing to those who had higher expectations than was deserved.

I personally have enjoyed the season and the fact that we will probably win the Division shows that this team OVERCAME some pretty substantial obstacles.

I'm not depressed at all....BRING ON THE PLAYOFFS!!!!!:cheer::cheer::tt02::tt02::cheer: :cheer:

Yes agree - win the division and get a home playoff game. Never know what can happen from that point on ! I have liked many things I have seen this year from the Steelers. Need improvemnets of course, but after last year its nice to be talking play-offs again.
Just finish Strong boys.......

steel58
12-18-2007, 10:53 AM
I think the Steelers will make the playoffs, but it quite obvious they won't go very far without Aaron Smith. I must admit the play calling Jacksonville used was very efficient on 3rd and long when they needed it witht the draw plays without Hampton or Smith in, who would stop the run?

Steeldude
12-18-2007, 11:09 AM
IMO, the steelers are in a bit of a rebuilding stage. as soon as the O-line is addressed they will need to address the D-line.

hopefully timmons and woodley are the answers at the LBer spots.

MACH1
12-18-2007, 11:18 AM
When we make it to the playoffs, what more do you want? We could go all the way or be one and done. If we lose in the playoffs get ready for all the 'time to rebuild' threads.

HometownGal
12-18-2007, 11:20 AM

Hallelujah!!! :cheers:

I believed the team could finish 11-5 or 10-6 and they still might, but beyond that, I had no expectations of them winning the AFCN (I picked Baltimore - LMAO!!), but probably getting in as a Wild Card. This is NOT the 2005 team, we have a rook HC and some very young and at times, over-exuberant players. We've had some significant injuries during stretch time which only adds to all of the other issues facing this team right now (lack of pass rush, deficient OL, bad ST's). Losing Aaron Smith at crunch time was HUGE, as the Jags proved. Our boys have faced a lot of adversity this season and great teams overcome those adversities. The Steelers, right now, hold their destiny in their hands (and feet).

Though I'd love to see them go all the way, I'm being honest here - I just don't see it happening this season, but , as we all well know, stranger things have happened in prior years. :thumbsup:

SteelerFanInCA
12-18-2007, 12:12 PM
Depression? No, depression was last year at this time and knowing we were not going to the play-offs.

This year we still have a shot to make the play-offs. Although we are not playing our best ball right now, I still find it difficult to be depressed.

rbryan
12-18-2007, 12:18 PM
Depression??? C'mon, depression is losing your job, your girl, your dog, and your car breaking down in the same week. lol

Keep the faith, we lost to a good team Sunday. We lost to a real good team the week before. We will still win the division and anything can happen once the playoffs start.

alittlejazzbird
12-18-2007, 01:31 PM
Hallelujah!!! :cheers:

I believed the team could finish 11-5 or 10-6 and they still might, but beyond that, I had no expectations of them winning the AFCN (I picked Baltimore - LMAO!!), but probably getting in as a Wild Card. This is NOT the 2005 team, we have a rook HC and some very young and at times, over-exuberant players. We've had some significant injuries during stretch time which only adds to all of the other issues facing this team right now (lack of pass rush, deficient OL, bad ST's). Losing Aaron Smith at crunch time was HUGE, as the Jags proved. Our boys have faced a lot of adversity this season and great teams overcome those adversities. The Steelers, right now, hold their destiny in their hands (and feet).

Though I'd love to see them go all the way, I'm being honest here - I just don't see it happening this season, but , as we all well know, stranger things have happened in prior years. :thumbsup:

Hey all -- been very sick with a nasty flu for the last two weeks and in the middle of my musically crazy time of year, so I've been away from here for a week and a half....but wow. I'm kind of blown away by all the negativity surrounding a 9-5 team that still has an excellent chance to make the playoffs. I get it that it's human nature to react this way, and we Steeler fans take losses particularly badly, but I completely agree with the folks who are citing a combination of our expectations, and the team's realities as a unit, as the reasons for all this depression.

I mean, I understand that the Steelers aren't playing well, and that they've sort of been heading down this road for the last four or so games, but it seems like lots of people were crowning them as Super Bowl contenders maybe a little too soon. Most of the problems with OL protection and pass coverage were obvious last season, but we all rationalized them (myself included) by blaming Ben's various physical problems and this team's longstanding vulnerability to big pass plays.

It was easy to gloss over those things, though, when we were flush with the glow of an enthusiastic new coach, a 100% healthy quarterback, and the promise that last year was just a bad dream. Couple that with an easy early schedule that came before everyone got banged up, and it seemed like they were the real deal.

Like HTG said, significant injuries came at the worst possible time and made things worse, especially on defense where we've been so strong. Taking key cogs out of the wheel (i.e., Troy, Aaron Smith, etc.) exposes the weaknesses of the wheel, and before you know it, you're on the edge of collapse. Plenty of other NFL teams can attest to what injuries can do to their seasons.

Maybe you think I'm a ridiculous optimist - I prefer to think of myself as a somewhat clear-headed realist. Back in August, I figured this team for 11-5 IF Ben and others stayed healthy, hoped for a division win (when no one gave us a chance) and considered winning one playoff game to be way beyond my expectations. None of which has changed in the interim. I still believe we'll make the playoffs, and maybe, just maybe, we can win a re-match with Jacksonville. For me, that would make this season a success, despite the disappointing play down the stretch.

We have a head coach who is going to be one of the great ones - I have believed that from day one, and it will not change - and now he has a chance, in this offseason, to begin to really mold this team and staff to his long-term vision. He couldn't do that this season, having to come in and inherit Bill Cowher's team. He's had a full season with all his players, coaches and staff, and now he can see what works and what needs to be changed.

We have a quarterback who is one of the best playing the game right now -- I think we can all agree he has proven that beyond a shadow of a doubt this year -- and he's going to be around for a long time. Mike Tomlin is going to continue to build this team around Ben, and I firmly believe that we will be in serious Super Bowl contention within three to five years, and at least in the playoff hunt every season between now and then.

So buck up, everyone. There's still some football to be played, and I for one look forward to seeing what these men are made of.

vardogr
12-18-2007, 02:29 PM
think the media always plays extremes, for instance the pats-steelers game wasnt really that big of a blowout. just a few retarded plays. .. . and just because the steelers have lost a few to good teams doesnt mean they suck. i am happy with their record, and the rebound from last year's record / getting a new coach.

however, i am disappointed this year. For a few reasons. #1) Where are the sacks?! #2) Ben is getting knocked around like a pinata this year. #3) Allowing a 100 yard rusher this year made me vomit a bit in the back of my throat, much less Fred Taylors display at Heinz Field

but overall they aren't a bad team, just doesn't look like the Steelers at times . . .

Dino 6 Rings
12-18-2007, 04:08 PM
I'm Depressed...Depressed that I can't punch people in the face with my Steelers ring without having the cops show up at my house...that's depressing!

As for this team. I am upset that they are not playing their best football for 60 minutes at a time. I'm tired of a good 1st quarter by the offense but a bad 1st quarter by the defense and same all game, one side of the ball plays great while the other under performs. Play a full game. Everyone.

Lets go. BEAT THE RAMS!!!!

HERE WE GO STEELERS HERE WE GO!!!

br7
12-18-2007, 07:31 PM
I really hit rock bottom after the pats game.

steel striker
12-18-2007, 07:47 PM
Well the way i look at it is if we win these last two games we are in the playoffs and, then it is a new season you can throw out the stats. Remember are 2005 Sb run? How about the colts winning last year? Alot of teams were running all over the colts but, once the playoffs started they played real solid. I have faith and, yes I Believe! Do you ?

Newzfoxjr
12-18-2007, 09:21 PM
These threads are just stupid.

Nothing we say can change what the Steelers do, so this is just pointless bitching like this. OK, you can give your opinion...but if you're going to be like this, with no hope or faith at all in a team you're supposed to be loyal to, then why even call the Steelers your team? That's not being a real fan.

So, our last two games of the season are two teams in like the top 10 in the 2008 draft. (Our last two games were against a 12-0 and a 9-4 team, now 14-0 and 10-4. We could've done a lot worse.) So, if you think we'll lose to the Rams, or the Ravens, who we beat the complete crap out of earlier in the season, with a 2-game tiebreaker on Cleveland, AND miss the playoffs, then I don't see why you call yourself a Steelers fan.

By the way, this is a message to ANY fan doubting the Steelers severely right now.

Steel Warrior
12-18-2007, 10:30 PM
It's pretty simple, if we lose our last two games, we won't be in the playoffs, and shouldn't be, after losing 5 of 7. We're the only team with a losing record in the last 5 games hoping to make the playoffs. Kinda sad, but that's where we are.
:smoker:

Preacher
12-18-2007, 11:43 PM
These threads are just stupid.

Nothing we say can change what the Steelers do, so this is just pointless bitching like this. OK, you can give your opinion...but if you're going to be like this, with no hope or faith at all in a team you're supposed to be loyal to, then why even call the Steelers your team? That's not being a real fan.

So, our last two games of the season are two teams in like the top 10 in the 2008 draft. (Our last two games were against a 12-0 and a 9-4 team, now 14-0 and 10-4. We could've done a lot worse.) So, if you think we'll lose to the Rams, or the Ravens, who we beat the complete crap out of earlier in the season, with a 2-game tiebreaker on Cleveland, AND miss the playoffs, then I don't see why you call yourself a Steelers fan.

By the way, this is a message to ANY fan doubting the Steelers severely right now.

Losing 5 out of the last 7 games is a reason to doubt. Watching this team slide after that great game against the ravens is a reason to doubt. Our O line falling apart, our D line and injuries allowing teams to run over 100 yards on us, the bread and butter of what we used to be, is a reason to doubt.

It really is ok to ask questions and be worried.

But come Sunday, I will still be rooting for my Steelers.

Whether you consider that a fan or not... really doesn't mean anything to me.

Atlanta Dan
12-18-2007, 11:55 PM
Losing 5 out of the last 7 games is a reason to doubt. Watching this team slide after that great game against the ravens is a reason to doubt. Our O line falling apart, our D line and injuries allowing teams to run over 100 yards on us, the bread and butter of what we used to be, is a reason to doubt.

You planning to re-watch the Rams game on DVR Sunday?:smile:

Preacher
12-18-2007, 11:56 PM

Absolutely!

unless it screws up the recording! :banging:

thats happened before!

Preacher
12-18-2007, 11:57 PM

Well...

Thursday...

(lawyers... hmph! :wink02:)

Newzfoxjr
12-19-2007, 12:14 AM

I'm talking about this depressing end of the world fire everyone crap that some other guy in another thread did, that I didn't feel like looking for, but felt it was OK to post in here because everyone seems to be all emo over this crap. We're 9-5 and facing the RAMS, people, the RAMS. I'd like to think people could at least be THAT optimistic.

Preacher
12-19-2007, 12:22 AM
I'm talking about this depressing end of the world fire everyone crap that some other guy in another thread did, that I didn't feel like looking for, but felt it was OK to post in here because everyone seems to be all emo over this crap. We're 9-5 and facing the RAMS, people, the RAMS. I'd like to think people could at least be THAT optimistic.

I understand what you're saying. I am just as frustrated by that as well. we have a lot of good stuff happening. We just need to push ahead and take care of the rest of it.

However, many people have much higher expectations. heck some expect us to win teh SB every year.

Least we have a reason for that expectation every year!

Newzfoxjr
12-19-2007, 12:54 AM
True, true. But I'm more of a realistic person, more of a balanced fan. Before the season I expected us to at least compete for the Super Bowl, I was 100% sure we were going to make the playoffs and that Ben would be back. And I still am. I don't expect us to 100% win the Super Bowl, we have a chance, but like I said, I'm realistic, we DO have problems. But I'm not for firing people and bringing in like 50 FAs and releasing people and all that.

Preacher
12-19-2007, 01:12 AM
True, true. But I'm more of a realistic person, more of a balanced fan. Before the season I expected us to at least compete for the Super Bowl, I was 100% sure we were going to make the playoffs and that Ben would be back. And I still am. I don't expect us to 100% win the Super Bowl, we have a chance, but like I said, I'm realistic, we DO have problems. But I'm not for firing people and bringing in like 50 FAs and releasing people and all that.

I agree.. I am for bringing in 4 FA's... 2 on the line, to compete with 2 draft picks, a great back up RB... and Carlos Dansby (I just like his speed).

I DO want Fanaca released. other then that, I really don't care about who gets released.

Dr Steeler
12-19-2007, 10:19 AM
Its a great pleasure to be a new member.
reading the posts after the jag game was very depressing, almost everybody started giving up on our steelers.
But i think the last two defeats are healthy and will be a good start to gather the steeler family before the playoffs.
We will win the next two games and we will be the team to defeat in the playoffs i have a feeling that the superbowl will be ours with full respect to other teams.
:tt02:

geo123
12-19-2007, 07:51 PM
It's pretty simple, if we lose our last two games, we won't be in the playoffs, and shouldn't be, after losing 5 of 7. We're the only team with a losing record in the last 5 games hoping to make the playoffs. Kinda sad, but that's where we are.
:smoker:

I agree both of the last two game are winnable games. If they can't win at least one they don't deserve to be in the play-offs.