PDA

View Full Version : Five Steelers Selected to Pro Bowl

STEELtownHAVOX
12-18-2007, 04:14 PM
Congrats to Ben, Willie, A. Faneca, James Harrison, and Troy (eh, don't really know if he deserved it this year)
http://www.nfl.com/probowl/story;jsessionid=41696E4622625F35424D22909A6FEF30? id=09000d5d8053b226&template=without-video&confirm=true

alittlejazzbird
12-18-2007, 04:17 PM
Roethlisberger, Harrison make Pro Bowl
Tuesday, December 18, 2007
By Ed Bouchette, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Quarterback Ben Roethlisberger and linebacker James Harrison made their first Pro Bowls today and were among five Steelers who made the NFL's all-star team.

Harrison, in his first season as a starter after replacing Joey Porter at right outside linebacker, will start for the AFC. So, too, will guard Alan Faneca, elected to his seventh consecutive Pro Bowl.

The other Steelers to make the Pro Bowl, all as backups, are halfback Willie Parker and strong safety Troy Polamalu.

Parker, the NFL's leading rusher, made it for the second straight time. This was Polamalu's fourth consecutive Pro Bowl.

"It's a tremendous honor,'' Roethlisberger said after coach Mike Tomlin informed the team collectively of their five Pro Bowl players. "It's kind of a unit honor.

"It's always a goal to be recognized as one of the best, but not my biggest goal.''

Roethlisberger became the first quarterback to compile a 13-0 record as a starter in 2004, his rookie season. He became the youngest quarterback to win a Super Bowl the following year.

Then followed his infamous 2006. After a motorcycle accident and then an appendectomy, he followed with a mediocre season in which he led the NFL with 23 pass interceptions and his passer rating dropped more than 20 points to 75.4

Today, he's third in the AFC and fourth in the NFL with a 100.5 passer rating and has thrown just 11 interceptions vs. a team-record 29 touchdown passes.

"A lot of people wrote me off as a two-year kind of hit wonder,'' Roethlisberger said. "So it's good to be able to bounce back."

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/07352/842662-66.stm

The Duke
12-18-2007, 04:18 PM
Troy kinda didn't deserve it, but people like him so they vote for him.

but where is Big Snack?

ShutDown24
12-18-2007, 04:20 PM
Yeah, Hampton deserves it more than Troy. I expect to see Holmes up their soon if he can avoid injuries over the next couple years. Actually I don't think Faneca deserves it either. He has played pretty bad this year in quite a few games.

STEELtownHAVOX
12-18-2007, 04:24 PM
i was affraid people were going to vote derek anderson in....shewww, great job BEN

xXTheSteelKingsXx
12-18-2007, 04:28 PM
Yeah, Hampton deserves it more than Troy. I expect to see Holmes up their soon if he can avoid injuries over the next couple years. Actually I don't think Faneca deserves it either. He has played pretty bad this year in quite a few games.

I think one reason Faneca made it was because he is one of the most well known guards and since the casual fan does not follow the game close enough to judge if linemen are doing well or not they pick Alan.

xXTheSteelKingsXx
12-18-2007, 04:30 PM
I'm also glad to see that Sean Taylor was voted into the pro bowl.

STEELtownHAVOX
12-18-2007, 04:31 PM
I'm also glad to see that Sean Taylor was voted into the pro bowl.

definately

CanadianSteel
12-18-2007, 04:37 PM
Well deserved.... Congrats to Big Ben, Fast Willie and Silverback !!

As far as Faneca and Troy go ....... congrats ......but really not deserving IMHO.
Based on reputation and not on feild play this year, much like many of the pro bowl reps.

HometownGal
12-18-2007, 04:41 PM
Well - it's about damned time Ben made it to the NFL Popularity Bowl....ummmm.....I mean the Pro Bowl. Congrats Ben! :cheers::cheer:

Congrats also go out to Silverback (much deserved!), Wills, Troy and Alan. :cheers:

jjpro11
12-18-2007, 04:44 PM
look at this ******* saying anderson should have gotten in over ben.. yet, he of course doesnt say why.
http://www.nfl.com/probowl/story;jsessionid=26924B9F7B8829249C444FCAB89FDD02? id=09000d5d8053b527&template=without-video&confirm=true

congrats to our guys who made it!

TackleMeBen
12-18-2007, 04:44 PM
well there goes his golfing for the that week..lol... a well deserved nomination. and maybe he can be pro bowl mvp and then we can say our qb is not only a superbowl champion, but a pro bowl mvp.... and carson you are just an mvp..lol

msafford
12-18-2007, 04:48 PM
well there goes his golfing for the that week..lol... a well deserved nomination. and maybe he can be pro bowl mvp and then we can say our qb is not only a superbowl champion, but a pro bowl mvp.... and carson you are just an mvp..lol

Damnit you beat me to it! :flap::sofunny:

Atlanta Dan
12-18-2007, 04:53 PM
Faneca at least has played every game - since I assume the votes were in before Sunday I cannot imagine why Troy was voted in.

SteelCityMan786
12-18-2007, 04:58 PM
Come on where's the Big Snack?

HometownGal
12-18-2007, 05:05 PM
Faneca at least has played every game - since I assume the votes were in before Sunday I cannot imagine why Troy was voted in.

Because he is one of the best known safeties in the league and POPULAR. :wink02:

HometownGal
12-18-2007, 05:10 PM
Personally, I think Jeff Reed should be the AFC's kicker. Just my two cents.

Newzfoxjr
12-18-2007, 05:17 PM
Haha, yes! Go ben. ^_^

jjpro11
12-18-2007, 05:22 PM
Personally, I think Jeff Reed should be the AFC's kicker. Just my two cents.

the only 2 misses were in the slop vs miami and a 65 yard nfl record attempt. i dont even think he's an alternate. shayne graham and phil dawson i saw are 2 of the alternates.

fansince'76
12-18-2007, 05:25 PM
Ray the Knife made it again as a reserve - what for? The guy HAS to be the most overrated LB in NFL history. :mad:

jjpro11
12-18-2007, 05:27 PM
Ray the Knife made it again as a reserve - what for? The guy HAS to be the most overrated LB in NFL history. :mad:

whats even more laughable is jonathan ogden made it for the ravens.. with him at tackle, ben will still be running for his life.. ben just cant catch a break. lol.

IDSteeler
12-18-2007, 05:29 PM
What about A. Smith? Not the loud mouth but, Aaron Smith, you know the one that made our defense a run stopping defense. Sure wish we had him last week. He's a Pro Bowler for sure.

The Duke
12-18-2007, 05:33 PM
What about A. Smith? Not the loud mouth but, Aaron Smith, you know the one that made our defense a run stopping defense. Sure wish we had him last week. He's a Pro Bowler for sure.

popularity. AGAIN. you can ask many people and most don't know who aaron smith is. only time people knew him and voted for him was in 2004 when he had like 8 sacks and still did the same run stopping job

stillers4me
12-18-2007, 05:37 PM
Congrats to all!! I'm thrilled that both Ben and James got in..........Ben is finally getting recognized for being the elite QB he is and James Harrison .......wow......first year as a starter and Pro Bowl bound! I'm proud to be a Steeler fan! :tt02:

Atlanta Dan
12-18-2007, 06:03 PM
Because he is one of the best known safeties in the league and POPULAR. :wink02:

Yep - I have not watched that so-called "bowl game" for years and will not be starting now - Elway and Marino would still make the team if the fans had that option

SteelersMongol
12-18-2007, 06:33 PM
Congrats 2 the all Steelers players who've made it 2 the Pro Bowl. Personally I think all of them deserved it.

RJC
12-18-2007, 06:40 PM
You guys think Hampton deserved it, and Troy didn't? Yeah, right, ok, good luck with that....

touchdownward
12-18-2007, 06:56 PM
Well - it's about damned time Ben made it to the NFL Popularity Bowl....ummmm.....I mean the Pro Bowl. Congrats Ben! :cheers::cheer:

Congrats also go out to Silverback (much deserved!), Wills, Troy and Alan. :cheers:

Not bad for a "game manager", eh? :wink02:

OneForTheToe
12-18-2007, 07:01 PM
Yep - I have not watched that so-called "bowl game" for years and will not be starting now - Elway and Marino would still make the team if the fans had that option

I haven't watched it in years. If the NFL follows through with their idea of moving the game to the week between the Conference Championship games and the Super Bowl I wonder what effect that might have?

http://www.kitv.com/news/14062660/detail.html

On one hand I think the game would get more attention. On the other hand, it would be missing the players from the two Super bowl participants,

Edited to add this update:

http://www.sptimes.com/2007/12/15/Business/Talk_of_the_bay__NFL_.shtml

Tampa could land back-to-back NFL showcase events in a little over a year. League officials are considering playing the 2009 Pro Bowl at Raymond James Stadium one week before Tampa hosts the Super Bowl, the NFL and local host committee confirmed Friday. The league wants to raise the Pro Bowl's profile, Commissioner Roger Goodell said at the NFL's fall meeting in October. One way would be rotating the all-star game to the site of the Super Bowl each year, he said, starting in 2009. It would be the first time the Pro Bowl has been played outside Honolulu's Aloha Stadium since 1980. The game generates around $30-million in visitor spending. The league doesn't have a timetable for deciding the game's location in 2009, spokesman Brian McCarthy said.

alittlejazzbird
12-18-2007, 08:12 PM

I'm with you, Dan....although whether or not it's a popularity contest is beside the point for me. The game itself is always a total yawner.

stillers4me
12-18-2007, 08:14 PM
I'm with you, Dan....although whether or not it's a popularity contest is beside the point for me. The game itself is always a total yawner.

Yeah...it's a meaningless game. But I bet the players enjoy the recognition for a season of hard work. I'm especially happy for Ben and James.

ShutDown24
12-18-2007, 08:29 PM
Yeah...it's a meaningless game. But I bet the players enjoy the recognition for a season of hard work. I'm especially happy for Ben and James.

I'm, sure they enjoy the extra 20 - 40k game check too. I actually always enjoy the Pro Bowl. Even though it isn't a real game it is fun to see some of the best players in each conference side by side.

HometownGal
12-18-2007, 08:34 PM

With all of the vanilla plays, it just isn't exciting to watch. I will watch this year, though, just to see Ben, Silverback and Willie. :cheers:

Preacher
12-18-2007, 08:36 PM
With all of the vanilla plays, it just isn't exciting to watch. I will watch this year, though, just to see Ben, Silverback and Willie. :cheers:

Now if we could have a little collision at home plate type action.... well.

Elvis
12-18-2007, 09:10 PM
:jawdrop: There must Really Not Be Many Good OG's in the AFC Anymore.. When Faneca is voted the best in the biz in our conference... man that is bad. He gives up plays every week. Jeff Hartings made him what he was 2 years ago. He has made it the last 2 years on his reputation Alone!
I love the fact that Willie made it again and Big Ben makes his 1st of many to come I believe.. and Troy also made it on reputation as well. He has been injured again this season and hasnt made the big plays we are used to seeing him make.
I honestly cant believe that Joseph Aidai made it and Fred Taylor didnt.... what a joke!!

klick81
12-19-2007, 02:55 AM
Ben had this a loooong time coming. I'm most happy for him and Harrison.