PDA

View Full Version : Carter to replace Smith at FS

The Duke
12-18-2007, 05:31 PM
things aren't looking good for anthony......

Tyrone Carter said the Steelers coaches have told him he will start in place of Anthony Smith at free safety Thursday night in St. Louis while Clark Haggans expects to play against the Rams.

Carter, who normally plays strong safety, said he didn't ask for any explanations as to why he'll open at free safety in the 8:15 p.m. game Thursday.

"They just said I'll be starting," Carter said of the Steelers' coaches.

Smith said the two rotated at free safety during practice Tuesday.

Haggans took part in the Steelers' only practice this week on a limited basis even though he sprained his left knee Sunday in the team's 29-22 loss to the Jaguars.

Steelers coach Mike Tomlin said Monday that it would be tough for Haggans to play against the Rams since it is such a short week.

Haggans said the only way he won't play Thursday is, "if my heart stopped beating, that's it."

http://pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_543399.html

I saw that they replaced him against Jax, but then he came with the interception and thought he was safe. I guess not.....

On another note, is nice to see haggans heart for the game, that's one of the reasons I want him back next year

Cape Cod Steel Head
12-18-2007, 05:34 PM
He's was beat like a rug against the Patsy's, and didn't have real good game against the Jags except for the int. They have to do something to shake things up!

stillers4me
12-18-2007, 05:39 PM
That interception turned the game around and gave us a fighting chance. Hopefully, Smith will learn from his mistakes and realize that he can really contribute in a positve way.

IDSteeler
12-18-2007, 05:44 PM
I think this is a smart move. I don't think our defense can afford to have two risk takers in the defensive backfield. I think this is the reason Clark was starting over Smith earlier this season. Besides Smith is a punk. And maybe sometime on the bench will humble him a bit.

xXTheSteelKingsXx
12-18-2007, 05:44 PM
Tyron played well in the absances of Troy and I think that Smith is still a bit to enixperienced at this point.

Atlanta Dan
12-18-2007, 05:58 PM
Good

NM

SteelerFanInCA
12-18-2007, 06:02 PM
Carter has played well. Sometimes you just have to shake things up. Hopefully this will light a new fire under the defense.

tony hipchest
12-18-2007, 06:05 PM
Good

NM

:chuckle:

(btw.... the NM sig gives me bad flashbacks)

i always considered clark and smith 1a and 1b. its pretty obvious carter and smith are 2a and 2b at this point. i think they can both succeed as starters but it is now evident that clark and troy are probably the top tandem in the league.

jjpro11
12-18-2007, 06:06 PM
well.. hopefully he will learn from this like taylor did last year. all 4 of the 40+ yard plays given up this year were at the fault of anthony smith. 2 play actions, one qb rollout, and one trick play.. he had his head in the backfield way too much. he needs to learn to play disciplined. that hopefully will come with maturity and experience.

SteelCityMan786
12-18-2007, 06:14 PM
This is a move that is VERY WELL CALLED FOR. I was hoping that they would call for Carter to start and he is in my opinion more suited to play their then Smith is now especially considering that he is still in the learning process and I feel Carter can show him a few moves.

SteelersMongol
12-18-2007, 06:15 PM
Oh. I kinda feel bad 4 him since I thought he was coming back from the way he played against the Jags. But I guess like many of you said this should him teach him about how 2 b a player, not a talker.

SteelerFanInCA
12-18-2007, 06:18 PM
He has the talent. Hopefully this humbling experience will put everything in perspective for him.

Atlanta Dan
12-18-2007, 06:22 PM
Oh. I kinda feel bad 4 him since I thought he was coming back from the way he played against the Jags. But I guess like many of you said this should him teach him about how 2 b a player, not a talker.

I want him benched because he gave up three deep TD passes in 2 weeks not because of his chatter - not having to endure his bombast on and off the field is just a bonus for Smith taking a seat.

br7
12-18-2007, 06:47 PM
wowwww!

Preacher
12-18-2007, 06:54 PM
I have been, and will continue to be a BIG Anthony Smith fan. I think he is the future with Troy P. in creating the best Safety tandem in the NFL for the better part of the next decade of football.

However, right now, This move is the best thing for him. He will sit down, hopefully learn from his mistakes, get his mind more into the game, and realize that he cannot be just a reaction player, but must be cerebral as well.

Most players go through this. It is time Anthony did as well. Now, I want to see Ike, Ben, and Ward take him under their wing and remind him of their struggles, and what happens when they learn from them and come out better on the other side.

The Duke
12-18-2007, 07:10 PM
I have been, and will continue to be a BIG Anthony Smith fan. I think he is the future with Troy P. in creating the best Safety tandem in the NFL for the better part of the next decade of football.

However, right now, This move is the best thing for him. He will sit down, hopefully learn from his mistakes, get his mind more into the game, and realize that he cannot be just a reaction player, but must be cerebral as well.

Most players go through this. It is time Anthony did as well. Now, I want to see Ike, Ben, and Ward take him under their wing and remind him of their struggles, and what happens when they learn from them and come out better on the other side.

well said preach.

anthony definitelt should learn from those players, especially Ike, look at how he's rebound this year, that could be anthony next year.

right now he just has to work hard and keep hi mouth shut.

Preacher
12-18-2007, 07:12 PM
well said preach.

anthony definitelt should learn from those players, especially Ike, look at how he's rebound this year, that could be anthony next year.

right now he just has to work hard and keep hi mouth shut.

Not even that as much as just not getting suckered into something by another loathsome reporter, who are fast becoming the new slime of the earth.

br7
12-18-2007, 07:23 PM
I do think its a good move, maybe it wakes this team up and they realize jobs are not a given!

MasterOfPuppets
12-18-2007, 07:23 PM
i think a few sessions of "shock therapy" would do anthony some good....:thumbsup:

:scratchchin: or they could put one of them shock collars on him they use on dogs...when he starts looking into the backfield.....zzzzzzzzap!!!!!

rbryan
12-18-2007, 07:50 PM
He was a much better player coming of the bench in nickel situations. Too much responsibility for him to play the safety position right now. He'll still get in the game and be in a better position to do what he does best, make big hits.

HometownGal
12-18-2007, 07:57 PM
:chuckle:

(btw.... the NM sig gives me bad flashbacks)

i always considered clark and smith 1a and 1b. its pretty obvious carter and smith are 2a and 2b at this point. i think they can both succeed as starters but it is now evident that clark and troy are probably the top tandem in the league.

:toofunny::toofunny: Every time I see the initials "NM", I also see . .

http://www.spacelawstation.com/lightyear.jpg

I still believe Anthony is a diamond in the rough, but needs to mature a bit before he can make an impact in the Steelers secondary. I was very pleased with Tyrone's performance during the period he subbed for Troy and hope he continues his stellar play on Thursday night. :thumbsup: Good move.

LVSteelersfan
12-18-2007, 08:15 PM
Just because he got an INT in the last game doesn't mean he had a good game. We had two long passes for TDs in the snow against us meaning that there was no safety help. With Troy roaming like he does, the other safety HAS TO STAY AT HOME. Troy had a GREAT game. He almost singlehandedly made every tackle at one point in the game. That one play where he almost got the sack and turned around and made the tackle on the running back after the pass was AMAZING. Smith needs to get his head out.

Preacher
12-18-2007, 08:24 PM
Funny how Smith goes from almost hero in his playing against the Bungles and Browns, literally putting the smack on the wr's, to goat because of two bad games.

lamberts-lost-tooth
12-19-2007, 04:31 AM
Steelers' Carter expects starting spot
By Scott Brown
TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Wednesday, December 19, 2007

The trying times aren't completely behind Anthony Smith.
It appears Tyrone Carter will start instead of Smith at free safety Thursday night when the Steelers play the Rams in St. Louis.

"They just said I'll be starting," Carter said of the Steelers' coaches after practice Tuesday. "They tell me it's my turn and I go out (there)."

Clark Haggans also is planning to be in the starting lineup.

Haggans sprained his left knee in the Steelers' 29-22 loss to the Jaguars on Sunday, and coach Mike Tomlin said at his weekly press conference that it might be too much to expect him to play against the Rams since it's such a short week for the Steelers.
Haggans, however, took part in practice Tuesday, albeit on a limited basis, and he said the only way he won't play against St. Louis is "if my heart stopped beating."

"Or," Haggans added, "if I flatlined, that would probably be it."

The promising Smith's season has been in a downward spiral since he made national news a couple of weeks ago when he guaranteed the Steelers would beat the undefeated Patriots.

New England beat the Steelers, 34-13, and victimized Smith on several long passing plays. After the game, Patriots coach Bill Belichick took a couple of swipes at Smith, calling the Steelers' play at safety "inviting."

Smith was beat Sunday on David Garrard's 55-yard touchdown pass to Dennis Northcutt, though he also sparked the Steelers' fourth-quarter rally by making an interception and returning it to the Jaguars' 12-yard line.

In the second half, Carter got some playing time at free safety.

Tomlin said Monday that the Steelers played Carter, Smith and Troy Polamalu together (with only one cornerback) at times against the Jaguars because they matched up better against the "bigger personnel group" Jacksonville employed.

"In the end," Tomlin said, "I think those two guys ended up being on the field quite a bit with Troy."

The two rotated at free safety in practice yesterday, Smith said. When asked if he expected to start Thursday against the Rams, Smith didn't sound nearly as sure as Carter.

He paused and said, "Yeah, I think so."

Smith has started the last seven games at free safety -- he split time with Ryan Clark before Clark was lost for the season because of a spleen condition -- and he has gotten a reputation for being a fierce and fearless hitter.

There were, however, enough questions about Smith's pass coverage coming out of Syracuse that not every NFL team even had him rated as a draft-worthy player.

The Steelers took Smith with their second pick of the 2006 NFL draft (third round) and have high hopes for him.

His fellow defensive backs have rallied around Smith as he has dealt with some tough times both on and off the field.

"That's my guy, that's my young buck," cornerback Ike Taylor said last week. "I take good care of him and I'm not going to let anything happen to him because I know how it feels to be up, I know how it feels to be down."

Galax Steeler
12-19-2007, 05:02 AM
we should stick with smith he is our future at safety.

dobieco
12-19-2007, 05:07 AM
Carter will be a good edition. However, unless somebody puts duck tape over the mouth of our offensive coordinator and head coach, the Steelers will lose again. It is not the offensive line. It is not bad tackling. This team destroyed Cleveland and shut out Seattle. They are now being poorly coached. If there is pass pressure on the quarterback, you call draw plays, screen passes, and short slants. Do our coaches watch Peyton Mannig or to they spend their time thinking of things to say that sound creative like "the tape looked good yesterday." On defense, they have got run blitz and allow their big corners to go on single coverage. The cover-2 is not working this year. If they are worried about getting beat, then add a safety (Carter). This offense can score 40 points per game but they won't -- why? Because on 3rd and 6, they will call a 25 yard down and out. Once the coaches are gone, you will see a good football team again. Before then, every fan should bring duck tape to the stadium.

steelpride12
12-19-2007, 07:07 AM
He made too many mistakes INT or not he can't keep getting burnt and giving up easy touchdowns, so we can see how Carter handles the position.
Haggans also is not a worry for me. I have always liked him and he does the little things no one seem, but makes an impact, but im sure he will be gone after this season is over with.

HometownGal
12-19-2007, 08:18 AM
This topic had another active thread, so I merged the threads, LLT.

GBMelBlount
12-19-2007, 08:53 AM
Right now, This move is the best thing for him. He will sit down, hopefully learn from his mistakes, get his mind more into the game, and realize that he cannot be just a reaction player, but must be cerebral as well.

Most players go through this. It is time Anthony did as well.

Even Troy had a few bumps starting out. They are doing the right thing IMO. You can't have someone playing in tandem with Troy making these kind of mistakes.

HometownGal
12-19-2007, 08:55 AM
Funny how Smith goes from almost hero in his playing against the Bungles and Browns, literally putting the smack on the wr's, to goat because of two bad games.

Thank you for posting what I wanted to post, but didn't. :wink02:

Steeldude
12-19-2007, 10:00 AM
He's was beat like a rug against the Patsy's, and didn't have real good game against the Jags except for the int. They have to do something to shake things up!

he didn't have a good game against the jets and bengals either.

STEELtownHAVOX
12-19-2007, 10:07 AM

exactly, people riding the "emotional roller coaster" on the kid.

Steeldude
12-19-2007, 10:08 AM

haha yep.

i think that's due to the fans who were enamored by a few big hits. these are the same fans that watch the highlight films rather than the games.

IMO, smith has the physical abilities, but his mental abilities are feeble. if he shows no improvement he will be let go after his contract is up. then the raiders can sign him to a huge deal:sofunny:

Atlanta Dan
12-19-2007, 10:43 AM

I was cringing waiting for the taunting flag when he was "putting the smack on" earlier this year.

Sitting Smith may focus him on playing the game rather than trying to make SportsCenter

coachspeak33
12-19-2007, 11:10 AM
carter is a professional right now..... smith is trying to learn how to be a professional.... smith will play plenty...but i feel more comfortable with carter as the starter in a position that requires more discipline that hitting ability

stlrtruck
12-19-2007, 02:36 PM
Maybe being second string is where Anthony Smith excels. Remember last year when he would come in off the bench and make some amazing hits, then go back on the bench - maybe that's what he needs like Ike needed it last year!!!

SteelDogFan
12-19-2007, 02:50 PM
I dont like to see any young player lose their starting posiion, but in the cover 2 your responsibility is to support the run and don't let a reciever get behind you, thats it.

Welcome To Smashmouth
12-19-2007, 04:38 PM
What the F*** man.....I love this team to death but if we dont stop putting talent on the bench i'm going to go crazy. Other than a game and a half of bad play (pats + 1/2 jags) this guys been nothing but dynamtie for this franchise!! Let him play!

Atlanta Dan
12-19-2007, 04:57 PM
What the F*** man.....I love this team to death but if we dont stop putting talent on the bench i'm going to go crazy. Other than a game and a half of bad play (pats + 1/2 jags) this guys been nothing but dynamtie for this franchise!! Let him play!

Dynamite as in terms of blowing up his own team?:dang:

Contrary to his own belief, Smith was not exactly the second coming of Ronnie Lott even before becoming The Human Torch in the last 2 games.

The only reason he was starting is because Clark got hurt - he was showing the same lack of control in training camp when competing for and failing to earn a starting position.

There is more to playing safety than occasionally jacking up Chad Johnson and then woofing like you just won the Super Bowl. Tomlin apparently agrees.

Exactly how many games of bad play do you believe are required before someone gets benched?

Big D
12-19-2007, 05:12 PM
in my opinion this is a week to late. I would have actually cut him after the patriots game...

OneForTheToe
12-19-2007, 09:47 PM
The irony to me is that Anthony has always seemed like he was concentrating too much on making ESPN highlights as opposed to staying in position. Well conrats .... his mouth two weeks ago, and now his subsequent demotion to the bench, has him all over ESPN (his demotion made a segment of PTI). Hopefully he will learn the proverbial "....... careful what you ask for."

Atlanta Dan
12-19-2007, 10:04 PM
in my opinion this is a week to late. I would have actually cut him after the patriots game...

:sofunny:

HTG - file that statement away the next time you think I am too harsh on The Human Torch