PDA

View Full Version : Prayers for my niece, please!

stillers4me
12-18-2007, 07:04 PM
Tomorrow, at 10 am, my 13 year old niece is having surgery to get a cochlear implant. She lost all her hearing in one ear a few years back and wore a hearing aid in the other. In October, the same week my dad passed away, we found out that she had lost 100% in her remaining ear. She has been in a totally silent world since then.

She is having the surgery in Pittsburgh by the same surgeon that operated on Rush Limbaugh. If all goes well, she will have almost normal hearing in that ear and even be able to plug in an ipod! That's a big deal to a teenage girl! Please pray for Amanda (and my brother who is a basket case!) Much appreciated!

Preacher
12-18-2007, 07:08 PM
Tomorrow, at 10 am, my 13 year old niece is having surgery to get a cochlear implant. She lost all her hearing in one ear a few years back and wore a hearing aid in the other. In October, the same week my dad passed away, we found out that she had lost 100% in her remaining ear. She has been in a totally silent world since then.

She is having the surgery in Pittsburgh by the same surgeon that operated on Rush Limbaugh. If all goes well, she will have almost normal hearing in that ear and even be able to plug in an ipod! That's a big deal to a teenage girl! Please pray for Amanda (and my brother who is a basket case!) Much appreciated!

I hope and pray that she is well and recovering by this time tomorrow.

And to think, 20 years from now, we will be looking at those amazing implants as big, bulky fossils of the past.

fansince'76
12-18-2007, 07:09 PM
My thoughts and prayers are with your niece and entire family. God bless.

stillers4me
12-18-2007, 07:11 PM
Thanks, guys! She is getting the newest, snazziest model........she can even pick the color she wants!

GBMelBlount
12-18-2007, 07:47 PM
Amanda & your family are in our prayers.

jdsdaguy
12-19-2007, 03:53 AM
todays medicine is so much more advanced, u can almost expect an even better result. my wifes dad is a pastor and i'll have his church pray for ur family.

lamberts-lost-tooth
12-19-2007, 04:02 AM
Prayers from Illinois!!!

HometownGal
12-19-2007, 07:54 AM
Prayers for Amanda, your brother and you, stillers. :thumbsup: Please let us know how the surgery goes.

TackleMeBen
12-19-2007, 10:59 AM
my thoughts and prayers are with you stillers.. i hope she has a successful surgery and all goes well for her and your brother.

stlrtruck
12-19-2007, 01:32 PM
I pray that the surgery went well and that she has a quick recovery and is once again able to enjoy her ipod

Michael Keller
12-19-2007, 02:28 PM
Prayers from sacramento California

PAMillerGrrl83
12-19-2007, 02:37 PM
Thoughts and prayers to your niece, one of my friends in HS had this surgery and Im still amazed at how well she can hear.

stillers4me
12-19-2007, 04:26 PM
Amanda got out of surgery around 4 pm this afternoon. She had the surgery at Children's in Pittsburgh.

The doctor was talking to them when I called and he says everything went better than great!! They turned it on while she was under and the auditory nerve had better than normal response. Now it will stay off for several weeks while she heals and then they will turn it on. Her hearing will sound robotic at first but as they fine tune it over the next couple of months, he said her hearing will become normalized. She will even be able to pick up a phone and use it normally!

I am so happy for her! She has never been able to socialize normally........she couldn't watch TV or movies with us because we would have had to turn it up extra loud for her. She always watched TV by herself in her bedroom with earphones. What a difference this will make in her life......especially now that she's becoming a teenager and all the normal social things she will be able to do now.

Thank you all for your special prayers...... they are apprciated more than you'll ever know!

HometownGal
12-21-2007, 06:26 AM
Great news for Amanda! :banana: Thanks for keeping us updated stillers.

lamberts-lost-tooth
12-21-2007, 06:28 AM
Amanda got out of surgery around 4 pm this afternoon. She had the surgery at Children's in Pittsburgh.

The doctor was talking to them when I called and he says everything went better than great!! They turned it on while she was under and the auditory nerve had better than normal response. Now it will stay off for several weeks while she heals and then they will turn it on. Her hearing will sound robotic at first but as they fine tune it over the next couple of months, he said her hearing will become normalized. She will even be able to pick up a phone and use it normally!

I am so happy for her! She has never been able to socialize normally........she couldn't watch TV or movies with us because we would have had to turn it up extra loud for her. She always watched TV by herself in her bedroom with earphones. What a difference this will make in her life......especially now that she's becoming a teenager and all the normal social things she will be able to do now.

Thank you all for your special prayers...... they are apprciated more than you'll ever know!

Its what Family does, my friend. :thumbsup: