PDA

View Full Version : 2007 starters vs. 2008 starters - Changes a plenty?

coachspeak33
12-19-2007, 08:11 AM
Offense
Wont change - Ben, WIllie, Davis, Santonio, Heath

Possible changes - Hines...I doubt it but, his cap hit leaves the possibility open
- The entire offensive line is up for grabs
*Faneca (for obvious reasons), Marvel (health reasons & a possible position switch to RT), Mahan (obviously not the answer at C, but a move to G may take place), Simmons (contract guarantees he will be in the BnG but maybe not at RG), Colon (this guy makes me nuts...saw tons of potential last year but I always thought he would make a better G than T)*

Backups that play whose future is in question - all WRs & TEs (if we are gonna be a pass happy team that relies on Ben then Cedric, Nate, Reid, Tuman are all on the chopping block

Starks is a guy that might end up being a starter for us next year, maybe at LT....his audition began a few games ago and will continue Thursday night....he will cost some coin though, cause someteam out there will offer him starting LT money (whether he deserves it or not)

Defense
Wont change - Casey, Aaron Smith, Kiesel, Troy, Ike
Possible changes - All four LB spots are in question for various reasons
*Haggans - contract year, Harrison -will be in the BnG but there is a slight possibility he moves inside (doubtful in my opinion), Farrior -still solid but aging fast & expensive, Foote -probably the mostt average of the four

- Deshea (hell, we all thought he would be replaced this season..still quite productive as a tackler and in zone coverage), MaFadden -Is it his time yet?, Anthony and Ryan Clark at the Safety position will battle again in camp

Integral backups - Timmons and Woodley....simply put, Where do they play and who do they replace?

well what do you guys think? Look into that crystal ball and tell me what you see

FourThreeMafia
12-19-2007, 09:57 AM
QB: Big Ben
RB: Fast Willie
FB: Carey Davis: He needs replaced, but unless we draft Peyton Hillis, Jacob Hester or Owen Schmitt, Carey Davis will probably start again.
WR: Ward isnt going anywhere. We are weak at WR as it is, and we would still take a huge hit if we cut him. No chance. Holmes is easily the other starter.
TE: Heath
LT: Marvel...I believe he needs to be replaced or moved to RT. He isnt a great pass blocker and I dont trust him blocking Ben's blind side. He will definitely be starting though.
LG: New Starter here. Might be a rookie. They might slide Simmons over to LG and put Colon or Kemoeatu at RG, or they might just put Colon or Kemoeatu at LG. Depends on what they do this offseason.
C: I dont see Mahan getting the axe. The Steelers arent a team that gives up on players easily, and they made a commitment to Mahan. Not a great choice considering he was never really a quality starter and was unproven, but I seem him starting in 2008.
RG: Simmons is my guess. He will be starting somewhere on that line.
RT: Colon isnt a natural fit at tackle. He is short limbed and better suited for guard. I wouldnt be shocked if we did resign Starks and put him back at RT, but I would prefer just to draft Ryan Clady or another first rounder to take over here.

DE: Smith and Keisel will both be starting. We need to start looking for replacements, but they arent going anywhere,
DT: Big Snack, no explanaiton needed.
OLB:Woodley will replace Haggans. Harrison isnt going anywhere.
ILB: Nothing will change unless Timmons really steps up and overtakes Foote inside. Farrior is older but playing at a high level.
CB: I dont see anything changing, but Townsend is in serious need of a replacement.
S: Polamalu and probably Clark. Smith isnt mature enough and still has alot to lean.

K: Reed
P: Sep

coachspeak33
12-19-2007, 10:07 AM
if we run the same starters out there next yr that are there this yr.....UGGGGH...we all can expect more of the same...especially at OL and #3WR and #2RB

FourThreeMafia
12-19-2007, 10:19 AM
if we run the same starters out there next yr that are there this yr.....UGGGGH...we all can expect more of the same...especially at OL and #3WR and #2RB

There is nothing wrong with our number 2 RB.

If we win the division, we are going to lose 10 games next year, book it.

Steeldude
12-19-2007, 10:24 AM
LT - starks
LG - mahan
C - stapleton, FA, draft
RG - simmons(colon)
RT - smith

QB, RB, TE, K, P and WRs would be the same. ward may need to restructure.

DE - smith
NT - hampton
DE - kiesel, FA(paul spicer. no idea if he would be too high-priced. there are a few DT/DE in the FA agent market this coming year)

CBs and SS would be the same. FS will be clark if he doesn't retire due to his spleen injury. otherwise it looks like another year of smith or possibly carter at FS.

coachspeak33
12-19-2007, 10:26 AM
There is nothing wrong with our number 2 RB.

If we win the division, we are going to lose 10 games next year, book it.

10 losses ?????
As for our #2RB...I would advise Najeh to rent not buy in the steel city

Rotorhead
12-19-2007, 10:27 AM
The only changes I see happening are:
Look to FA for a OLT
If we can get a FA Center, then Mahan to RG, if not I think we will be drafting a C and Mahan will play another season at C
I hope/wish we keep Faneca.
Harrison stays in, Woodley may get the nod and if Timmons improves this offseason he may get alot of playing time.

coachspeak33
12-19-2007, 10:30 AM
LT - starks
LG - mahan
C - stapleton, FA, draft
RG - simmons(colon)
RT - smith

QB, RB, TE, K, P and WRs would be the same. ward may need to restructure.

DE - smith
NT - hampton
DE - kiesel, FA(paul spicer. no idea if he would be too high-priced. there are a few DT/DE in the FA agent market this coming year)

CBs and SS would be the same. FS will be clark if he doesn't retire due to his spleen injury. otherwise it looks like another year of smith or possibly carter at FS.

interesting.... a few thoughts
Ward's 9mil salary is gonna be an issue trhis offseason
Colon will start somewhere on our OL
Marvel is a guy who might be sending his resume out there this offseason
Starks might bolt...someone is gonna overpay for this mountain of a man
Spicer...would be nice but the FO will NEVER get a FA like this.....NEVER

lamberts-lost-tooth
12-19-2007, 10:53 AM
LT - Travelle Wharton (FA)
LG - Colon
C - Doug Legursky (Draft)
RG - Mahan
RT - Smith

tony hipchest
12-19-2007, 10:58 AM
if were gonna have a fire sell we will get worse before we get better.

a few things about the pats and cowboys the rooneys should look at- if linebacker or OL is a need, be prepared to shell out some money for a. thomas or l. davis.

if wr or rb is such a huge need there is always "risk outweighs the reward" players out there, such as r. moss, t. owens, or j. lewis.

if the #15 pick in the draft is going to be used for nothing more than a special teams tackler, then they might wanna think about trading that pick to the jets, browns, or 49ers. its fustrating to see patrick willis leading the league in tackles, david harris filling in perfectly for jon vilma, and the success demeco ryans has found since being in the league. rookie linebackers CAN be starters.

would anyone have a problem if we swapped l. timmons for san fransiscos top 10 pick on draft day? its a move we couldve easilly made. dallas got a free #1 pick just for allowing the browns to move up about 12-14 spots to take quinn.

dallas and the patriots built themselves to win now.

if we are gonna overhaul our line, lb's db's, wr's, and rb's, we will not do it in 1 draft. infact it would probably take 3-4 years to get all the pieces in place through the draft.

great players and coaches help but the table was set for the 90's cowboys with the herschel walker trade.

the patriots have a thanksgiving feast set up on the heels of trades for 1st rounders with seattle, buffalo, baltimore, and now the 49ers. look at the talent san diego got by trading eli and vick.

Steeldude
12-19-2007, 11:03 AM
interesting.... a few thoughts
Ward's 9mil salary is gonna be an issue trhis offseason
Colon will start somewhere on our OL
Marvel is a guy who might be sending his resume out there this offseason
Starks might bolt...someone is gonna overpay for this mountain of a man
Spicer...would be nice but the FO will NEVER get a FA like this.....NEVER

yeah, you are right, starks is probably gone because of a team overpaying him. the steelers really let the O-line deteriorate.

yeah, spicer is a bit much :smile: what about the headstomper albert haynesworth?

FourThreeMafia
12-19-2007, 01:00 PM
10 losses ?????
As for our #2RB...I would advise Najeh to rent not buy in the steel city

If we win the division, yes. Unless the OLine has some dramatic improvement over this offseason, we get another qualty DLineman (for depth) and we find away to dramatically imrpove the pass rush, I see it happening.

We face the AFC South and NFC East next year, the two best divisions in the NFL. If we win the division, we also face the Patriots and Chargers.

And to those of you talking about bringing in Paul Spicer, it will NEVER happen. He will be 33 and the Steelers dont persue older free agents. They go after younger FAs they can mold to their system, especially on defense.

xXTheSteelKingsXx
12-19-2007, 03:08 PM
LT - Travelle Wharton (FA)
LG - Colon
C - Doug Legursky (Draft)
RG - Mahan
RT - Smith

I like this line but what do we do with Simmons. He just got a new deal this offseason and I really don't want that kind of money sitting the bench.

Welcome To Smashmouth
12-19-2007, 03:35 PM
Projected starters for the '08 season:

Big Ben, QB
Willie Parker, HB
Hines Ward, WR
Santonio Holmes, WR
Heath Miller, TE

Bret Keisel, DE
Casey Hampton, DT
Aaron Smith, DE
James Harrison, OLB
Lawrence Timmons, ILB
James Farrior, ILB
Lamarr Woodley, OLB
Ike Taylor, CB
Bryant McFadden, CB
Anthony Smith, FS
Troy Polamalu, SS

Marvel Smith, LT
1st Round Draft Selection, LG
Sean Mahan, C
Kendall Simmons, RG
Colon/Starks, RT

Atlanta Dan
12-19-2007, 04:06 PM

Big Ben, QB
Willie Parker, HB
Hines Ward, WR
Santonio Holmes, WR
Heath Miller, TE

Bret Keisel, DE
Casey Hampton, DT
Aaron Smith, DE
James Harrison, OLB
Lawrence Timmons, ILB
James Farrior, ILB
Lamarr Woodley, OLB
Ike Taylor, CB
Bryant McFadden, CB
Anthony Smith, FS
Troy Polamalu, SS

Marvel Smith, LT
Sean Mahan, C
Kendall Simmons, RG
Colon/Starks, RT

Interesting lineup

I think Mahan goes to G or just goes (Simmons to C)

I think Starks goes FA - agree a #1 pick gets one of the G slots

Not certain Timmons starts -agreed Woodley replaces Haggans

Smith starts only if Clark cannot come back for medical reasons

I keep waiting for McFadden to step up but not having done it this year makes me wonder if he will ever be a starter.

Not exactly a 2008 pre-season SB favorite there, is it now?

paw-n-maul-u
12-19-2007, 04:07 PM
if were gonna have a fire sell we will get worse before we get better.

a few things about the pats and cowboys the rooneys should look at- if linebacker or OL is a need, be prepared to shell out some money for a. thomas or l. davis.

if wr or rb is such a huge need there is always "risk outweighs the reward" players out there, such as r. moss, t. owens, or j. lewis.

if the #15 pick in the draft is going to be used for nothing more than a special teams tackler, then they might wanna think about trading that pick to the jets, browns, or 49ers. its fustrating to see patrick willis leading the league in tackles, david harris filling in perfectly for jon vilma, and the success demeco ryans has found since being in the league. rookie linebackers CAN be starters.

would anyone have a problem if we swapped l. timmons for san fransiscos top 10 pick on draft day? its a move we couldve easilly made. dallas got a free #1 pick just for allowing the browns to move up about 12-14 spots to take quinn.

dallas and the patriots built themselves to win now.

if we are gonna overhaul our line, lb's db's, wr's, and rb's, we will not do it in 1 draft. infact it would probably take 3-4 years to get all the pieces in place through the draft.

great players and coaches help but the table was set for the 90's cowboys with the herschel walker trade.

the patriots have a thanksgiving feast set up on the heels of trades for 1st rounders with seattle, buffalo, baltimore, and now the 49ers. look at the talent san diego got by trading eli and vick.

sooooooo frustrating ... not to mention Beason in Carolina, and I'm pretty sure there are at least four or five other LB's taken after Woodley and Timmons that have seen much more significant playing time.

I honestly feel next year will be this year on repeat with offensive line frustration if we don't go out and spend some money, WHICH WE WILL HAVE NEXT YEAR. ya we gotta resign ben, but with the growing cap, and probably some vets gone after this year, we need to bring in someone, and we gotta spend some money to get him.

L. Davis ... probowl. ... you don't think that someone is going to see Max Starks and feel the exact same way? ... M. Smith really gets paid that much to be a statue? ... honestly, we have to get something in return for some of these vets, because we will start falling behind fastttttttttt and far.

Atlanta Dan
12-19-2007, 04:17 PM
If the #15 pick in the draft is going to be used for nothing more than a special teams tackler, then they might wanna think about trading that pick to the jets, browns, or 49ers. its fustrating to see patrick willis leading the league in tackles, david harris filling in perfectly for jon vilma, and the success demeco ryans has found since being in the league. rookie linebackers CAN be starters.

Tomlin fell in love with Timmons while watching FSU video late one night, refused to change his mind after seeing Timmons out of shape self in person, and the word was out to the entire NFL that was who he was going to take at LB - the only wrinkle was the last minute rumor Reavis had caught their eye

So far it was a rotten draft - Timmons is Tomlin's doing & I blame Arians for Spaeth (of course I also blame Arians for global warming and anything else I do not like but cannot pin on anyone else). Colbert and Tomlin apparently did not have their draft day roles worked out - that needs to get fixed.

paw-n-maul-u
12-19-2007, 04:30 PM
Tomlin fell in love with Timmons while watching FSU video late one night, refused to change his mind after seeing Timmons out of shape self in person, and the word was out to the entire NFL that was who he was going to take at LB - the only wrinkle was the last minute rumor Reavis had caught their eye

So far it was a rotten draft - Timmons is Tomlin's doing & I blame Arians for Spaeth (of course I also blame Arians for global warming and anything else I do not like but cannot pin on anyone else). Colbert and Tomlin apparently did not have their draft day roles worked out - that needs to get fixed.

I can't really agree with you on much of this at all ... Speath was a pretty good redzone target, and honestly, how much can you expect him to get on the field when Heath is infront of him.

I don't really know where you want Timmons to play? for Harrison? please. Farrior? please again, JF is playing at a ridiculous level right now. Foote? That i can MAYBE see, but Larry Foote is also the youngest out of our current starting linebackers. Can we really sit him down?

Gay made the team, sep has been more than solid in the kicking game. Mcbean just got pumped up from PS. tell me the last time a Cowher draft had 6 out of 7 selections make the team?

Edman
12-19-2007, 04:40 PM
I don't have any changes, just hopes.

2007 was a Defensive draft. 2008 will be offensive, or at least it better be. We need some Offensive linemen, and somewhat aggressively go after a few targets for Ben. Ward isn't getting any younger, and Santonio is still quite a youngster.

Atlanta Dan
12-19-2007, 04:55 PM
I can't really agree with you on much of this at all ... Speath was a pretty good redzone target, and honestly, how much can you expect him to get on the field when Heath is infront of him.

I don't really know where you want Timmons to play? for Harrison? please. Farrior? please again, JF is playing at a ridiculous level right now. Foote? That i can MAYBE see, but Larry Foote is also the youngest out of our current starting linebackers. Can we really sit him down?

Gay made the team, sep has been more than solid in the kicking game. Mcbean just got pumped up from PS. tell me the last time a Cowher draft had 6 out of 7 selections make the team?

Where should Timmons be playing? - if he was playing to the level of a first round choice at least spelling Foote or Haggans and maybe some reps to give a tiring Farrior some rest - we are not trying to crack the LB lineup of the 76 Steelers or 86 Giants here. Do you really believe Timmons was expected to be slotted exclusively for ST duty this season?

My point with Spaeth is that we drafted someone we knew was going to be a backup behind a rising star at TE - with pressing needs at OL (Faneca negotiations had crashed by then) drafting a number 3 TE so Arians can design his offense of tomorrow was a luxury they did not have. In fact on draft day I recall some speculation that given his lack of speed the plan might be to convert Speath to OL - guess again. When Spaeth has been healthy he has been of litttle use in stopping the bleeding at OL as best I can tell - you cannot try to plug a leak if you will not draft any plugs.

Fillling up a roster is not the measure of a successful draft - getting long term starters out of it is - we cannot tell for several years how this draft will play out, but so far this draft looks like it will at best get 2 starters at one position & a punter - Timmons, Woodley & Sep - you cannot roll over your lineup at a rate of 2 players a year.

In closing, as long as we are comparing this draft to those of yesteryear, tell me the last time a kicker was the Steelers rookie of the year - Sep has not been that good

SteelersJW
12-19-2007, 06:32 PM
I'm not happy with Colon or Mahan

Steeldude
12-20-2007, 09:24 AM

Bryant McFadden, CB

Sean Mahan, C

i don't think the steelers are going to sit their most fundmentally sound CB for a player who has done nothing but play average or below.

i doubt mahan remains at center.

IMO, the steelers will take a tackle before a guard in this coming draft. the reason for that is because the steelers are stacked with guards when compared to tackles. also, starks might no be re-signed. the steelers could be outbid for his services. that would leave the steelers with only two tackles(essex and smith). colon is playing tackle, but he is much more of a guard. it has been painfully obvious all season.