PDA

View Full Version : Sepulveda wins Steelers rookie honor

TackleMeBen
12-19-2007, 12:37 PM
we know that HTG will be happy to hear this..lol

When the Steelers traded a draft pick to select punter Dan Sepulveda in the fourth-round of the draft this year little did they know that he would wind up being the team?s recipient of the ?Joe Greene Great Performance Award? which is given to the team?s outstanding rookie.

But he had his sights set on it right from the start.

?That?s one of the first things I saw when I came up to the front office,? said Sepulveda. ?I saw the Joe Greene trophy sitting there. Just looking at some of those names was pretty neat. I can?t say it didn?t cross my mind the first time I saw it. It?s a tremendous honor.?

Sepulveda?s 42.4-yard punting average ranks him eighth in the AFC and his 37.7 net is fifth best in the conference. But he is always looking to improve.

http://news.steelers.com/article/86287/

tony hipchest
12-19-2007, 01:20 PM
patrick willis and adrian peterson breathed a sigh of relief when they found out sepulveda cannot be in the league wide running for offensive or defensive rookie of the year honors.

amazing that the rookie punter beat out our 1st 3 picks for the award. :dang:

Atlanta Dan
12-19-2007, 01:28 PM
patrick willis and adrian peterson breathed a sigh of relief when they found out sepulveda cannot be in the league wide running for offensive or defensive rookie of the year honors.

amazing that the rookie punter beat out our 1st 3 picks for the award. :dang:

I will hope nobody can judge the quality of a draft (specifically a first round pick the team had rated higher than enyone else) after 1 year.

With the growing holes on this team, not trading down to still get a LB nobody else coveted in the first round, trading a pick to move up for a punter, and drafting a backup TE with the quickness of an OL and upper body strength of a big WR in round 3 is not a real encouraging note for the future.

slippy
12-19-2007, 01:43 PM
so far this draft is a bust. hopefully the 2 LBs pan out in the future. too bad the jets jumped us for Revis, he looks good so far.

The_WARDen
12-19-2007, 01:45 PM
tis embarassing to have a punter win it.

slippy
12-19-2007, 01:52 PM
sep is 8th in the afc? they should have cancelled the award this year.

HometownGal
12-19-2007, 02:21 PM

How so? The kid has punted admirably for his first season in the big league and has been more consistent than any of the other Steelers rooks. He has great hang time and if he had better ST coverage alongside him, his numbers would be even better. I think 8th in the conference is damned good for a first-year punter.

Congrats Danny! :cheers::hug:

The_WARDen
12-19-2007, 02:22 PM

Can they give it to Tomlin? He's their best rookie.

fansince'76
12-19-2007, 02:22 PM

No worse than Troy Edwards winning it as a rook. Besides, I believe Sep is 2nd in punts downed inside the opponents' 20 in the entire league, so the yardage figure is pretty misleading, especially considering the fact that our kick coverage sucks.

The_WARDen
12-19-2007, 02:29 PM
How so? The kid has punted admirably for his first season in the big league and has been more consistent than any of the other Steelers rooks. He has great hang time and if he had better ST coverage alongside him, his numbers would be even better. I think 8th in the conference is damned good for a first-year punter.

Congrats Danny! :cheers::hug:

you're serious? a stinkin punter? I won't even get into how you should never draft a punter that high..

They screwed up if a 4th round punter is their best rookie, especially after an 8-8 season. I could see if they were a powerhouse the year before maybe and drafting a punter was just a luxury.

Atlanta Dan
12-19-2007, 02:31 PM
you're serious? a stinkin punter? I won't even get into how you should never draft a punter that high..

They screwed up if a 4th round punter is their best rookie, especially after an 8-8 season. I could see if they were a powerhouse the year before maybe and drafting a punter was just a luxury.

Agreed they drafted as if they had the roster of the '75 Steelers and were drafting for depth that might be needed in 2-3 years

slippy
12-19-2007, 05:21 PM
the draft has been aweful the last four years. one good pick a year is not good draftiing. does colbert need to take some heat?

Dynasty
12-19-2007, 09:52 PM
Colbert hasn't exactly been great lately. Overpaying for Simmons (who sucks) was a terrible move, and the drafts lately have sucked. I'll give a partial pass for this year since its a rookie HC's first draft, but man...

HometownGal
12-19-2007, 10:21 PM

Geez, WARDen - maybe you should apply for Colbert's job and take over the draft for the Steelers. Probably comes with a 6 figure salary, great bennies and a good seat at Steelers games. :wink02:

Holy sh it - you people B & M'ed about Gardocki last season, so the Steelers went out and got themselves one helluva punter and you people still B & M. There's no pleasing ya. :flap:

Atlanta Dan
12-19-2007, 10:48 PM
Geez, WARDen - maybe you should apply for Colbert's job and take over the draft for the Steelers. Probably comes with a 6 figure salary, great bennies and a good seat at Steelers games. :wink02:

Holy sh it - you people B & M'ed about Gardocki last season, so the Steelers went out and got themselves one helluva punter and you people still B & M. There's no pleasing ya. :flap:

HTG - I am not hating on Sep - it is just not a good sign when the Steelers rookie of the year is a punter selected in the 4th round - name one SB winner where the key component of the team was the punting - the Steelers won several SBs with Bobby Walden

fansince'76
12-19-2007, 11:02 PM
....name one SB winner where the key component of the team was the punting - the Steelers won several SBs with Bobby Walden

Ray Guy - SB XVIII. Early in the game when there was really no momentum yet established by either team, Guy jumped at LEAST 3 feet vertically to field a bad snap and still got off a beautiful punt. At the very least, if the snap would have gone over his head, the 'Skins would have been DEEP in Raiders territory and it probably would have changed the entire complexion of that game. Of course that was one game, but it was the SB and Guy was always a great punter. Quality punters, much like quality PKs, are never appreciated until a team has a lousy one.

HometownGal
12-19-2007, 11:12 PM
HTG - I am not hating on Sep - it is just not a good sign when the Steelers rookie of the year is a punter selected in the 4th round - name one SB winner where the key component of the team was the punting - the Steelers won several SBs with Bobby Walden

I know you aren't Dan and I wasn't implying that you were. :wink02: I just wish people would give Sep his rightful due - the punting game has improved with him back there and field position really is important, as you well know. If we had better punt coverage, I'm sure his numbers would escalate even higher. I'm just tired of hearing people B & M about a particular player one season and then when the Steelers upgrade at that position, they still B & M. :dang:

Sep was named ROOKIE of the year by the Steelers, not MVP. If he had been named the MVP, then I could understand the disdain around here.

Atlanta Dan
12-19-2007, 11:14 PM
Ray Guy - SB XVIII. Early in the game when there was really no momentum yet established by either team, Guy jumped at LEAST 3 feet vertically to field a bad snap and still got off a beautiful punt. At the very least, if the snap would have gone over his head, the 'Skins would have been DEEP in Raiders territory and it probably would have changed the entire complexion of that game. Of course that was one game, but it was the SB and Guy was always a great punter. Quality punters, much like quality PKs, are never appreciated until a team has a lousy one.

And that won that blowout?:smile:

I recall Marcus Allen was the SB MVP rather than Guy

Punting is not to be ignored, but it is not a crucial component of a SB winner - Walden had one blocked in SB IX & X.

fansince'76
12-19-2007, 11:26 PM
And that won that blowout?:smile:

I recall Marcus Allen was the SB MVP rather than Guy

Punting is not to be ignored, but it is not a crucial component of a SB winner - Walden had one blocked in SB IX & X.

It may not have been a blowout, and may have even been a Redskins win if it hadn't occurred. IMO, there were 3 game-changing plays in that game: Marcus Allen's reverse-field run, Theismann's pick-six right before the half, and Guy getting that punt off very early in the going. Well, actually 2, because the Raiders had the game in hand by the time Marcus Allen had that breakaway. The fact remains that Guy's amazing recovery of what could have been a disastrous situation for the Raiders very possibly could have saved the momentum from swinging in a big way to the 'Skins' favor. Like I said, that play came very early in that game when neither team had yet established momentum.

The Steel Curtain was a great eraser of huge mistakes both on STs and offense - there's a reason that D was the greatest of all time.

Atlanta Dan
12-20-2007, 12:07 AM
The Steel Curtain was a great eraser of huge mistakes both on STs and offense - there's a reason that D was the greatest of all time.

You got me there :cheers:

Preacher
12-20-2007, 03:24 AM
Chronological snobbery sure is funny.

About 3 months ago, we were pretty dang happy with our number 2 pick. our number 3 pick was making some good catches in the endzone and no one was complaining about him either. At that point, Sep. was punting great and we were all happy about it.

Even at that point, our number one draft pick was making some good plays on ST after being out pretty much all spring and summer with a groin injury.

Also during that time, most people here, from what I remember, thought the two biggest holes in the team was the LB's (Porter was gone, Oh No, what to do what to do) and the O line (still is).

So last draft, we spend our first day filling the LB's corp and one more offensive weapon.

This year, we draft two 2 oline (hopefully).

It really is amazing how 4 games changes how we view everything since last January.

PisnNapalm
12-20-2007, 10:03 AM

I disagree. It's rare for a rookie anything to contribute immediately on the team. Punter is one position where a rookie can make an immediate impact. Remember when Ben took over at QB as a rookie? He was the exception, not the norm.

Our new linebackers will come along. Also our new TE.

Atlanta Dan
12-20-2007, 10:49 AM
Chronological snobbery sure is funny.

About 3 months ago, we were pretty dang happy with our number 2 pick. our number 3 pick was making some good catches in the endzone and no one was complaining about him either. At that point, Sep. was punting great and we were all happy about it.

Even at that point, our number one draft pick was making some good plays on ST after being out pretty much all spring and summer with a groin injury.

Also during that time, most people here, from what I remember, thought the two biggest holes in the team was the LB's (Porter was gone, Oh No, what to do what to do) and the O line (still is).

So last draft, we spend our first day filling the LB's corp and one more offensive weapon.

This year, we draft two 2 oline (hopefully).

It really is amazing how 4 games changes how we view everything since last January.

IMO this is not quite the exercise in revisionist history you describe - there were posts on this board last spring saying the OL was an issue to be addressed in the draft - the Spaeth pick (you are one of the few who describe him as "an offensive weapon")and blowing off draft choices to trade up for a punter were being flamed from the time those picks were announced.

I still am happy with the #2 pick and think Sep was a good pick, just one for which the Steelers overpaid.

Picking Timmons at #15 (they could have traded down and still had him) and Spaeth have been picks about which I have never been enthusiastic.

The_WARDen
12-20-2007, 10:56 AM
Until they address the Oline seriously, I will reservations about every draft.

RoethlisBURGHer
12-20-2007, 11:22 AM
The Timmons and Woodley picks were not meant for an impact this season.

Woodley hasn't played much this year.

Timmons has played even less.

Spaeth isn't an "offensive weapon".

The only rookie to come in and have an impact this entire season is Sepulveda.

It's common sense that he wins the award.

Rhee Rhee
12-20-2007, 11:48 AM
he just won it cause hes the only one that played