PDA

View Full Version : Mike Tomlin... time for him to earn his paycheck

Rhee Rhee
12-20-2007, 11:43 AM
I think right now in these last two games mike tomlin needs to show why the rooneys chose him over all the other coaches... he needs to will this team into the playoffs and it all starts against the rams... cowher did it in 2005... tomlin needs to do it now... i think this season will go a long way into determining his success as a steeler and the success of the steelers as a franchise

RoethlisBURGHer
12-20-2007, 11:48 AM
Cowher didn't will the team into winning in 2005, the team as a whole stepped up.

IMHO, no coach can "will" a team into winning or losing. You can caoch your players perfectly, but if they don't perform on game day, it all doesn't rest on the coach's shoulders. He's not the guy out there making tackles, catches, runs, throws, fielding punts and kickoffs.

The_WARDen
12-20-2007, 11:50 AM
Cowher didn't will the team into winning in 2005, the team as a whole stepped up.

IMHO, no coach can "will" a team into winning or losing. You can caoch your players perfectly, but if they don't perform on game day, it all doesn't rest on the coach's shoulders. He's not the guy out there making tackles, catches, runs, throws, fielding punts and kickoffs.

So then coaches are irrelevant?

fansince'76
12-20-2007, 11:53 AM
He's a rookie HC who has already guided the team to a better record than it finished with the year before. He's earned his paycheck. :coffee:

Atlanta Dan
12-20-2007, 12:23 PM
I think right now in these last two games mike tomlin needs to show why the rooneys chose him over all the other coaches... he needs to will this team into the playoffs and it all starts against the rams... cowher did it in 2005... tomlin needs to do it now... i think this season will go a long way into determining his success as a steeler and the success of the steelers as a franchise

To the extent you are pining away for what some regard as the good old days of "Let's Go!" and spit flying on the sidelines, Ed.B. of the P-G had a good observation:

Do you think it's time for coach Mike Tomlin to start doing some yelling? This nice guy [stuff] has gone on too long.

BOUCHETTE: Yelling and screaming by someone who never yells and screams would do way more harm than good. The players really would start to question his antics and his honesty. Yelling and screaming might get high school players' attention, and if that's your normal mode of action, it may work for that particular coach. Take a look at Tony Dungy on the sideline sometime. He barely raises his voice and they're the defending champs. Yelling and screaming by the head coach at this point would show more panic than anything else.

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/07352/842407-367.stm

Tomlin can prepare his team to play, but I do not know how a coach "wills" a team to victory - please share how Cowher did that (surely you are not attributing the SB rings to the "Christopher Columbus" speech after the 2005 Bengals loss). Maybe Tomlin can lay hands on Aaron Smith and Ryan Clark so they can be healed and reactivated tonight.

As for this season going a long way to determining the success of the Steelers as a franchise, that comment is (groping for polite and somewhat value neutral term here.......) ........ astonishing.

ShutDown24
12-20-2007, 12:31 PM
No way. If we lose these next two games in blowouts Tomlin has had an excellent first season. 8-8 last year. Even if we miss the post season it is an improvement

memphissteelergirl
12-20-2007, 12:55 PM

Exactly....the X's and O's don't mean squat if the players don't execute (now if those plays are questionable that's another debate entirely :wink02:)

He's a rookie HC who has already guided the team to a better record than it finished with the year before. He's earned his paycheck. :coffee:

:iagree:

HometownGal
12-20-2007, 01:08 PM
Exactly....the X's and O's don't mean squat if the players don't execute (now if those plays are questionable that's another debate entirely :wink02:)

:iagree:

I agree with the X's and O' part, memphis, but as far as the plays being "questionable" - how do we as fans really know if they ARE questionable if the players don't execute them properly? Ben is pretty tight with Arians and is outspoken enough that if he felt a particular play needed the heavo ho from the playbook, Arians would more than likely give it some heavy consideration.

I believe a coach(es) can be a teacher in the classroom, in camp and on the practice field, as well as a huge moral attribute on the field, but as the old saying goes - "you can lead a horse to water but you can't make it drink". If the players don't execute when it's crunch time, I don't believe that falls on the coach(es) shoulders as much as it falls on the players. Just my two cents.

SteelerFanInCA
12-20-2007, 01:11 PM
Two weeks left in the season and we are still part of the play-off talks, I think Tomlin has earned his keep.

Counselor
12-20-2007, 01:15 PM

Wow---it took Cowher 15 years to do it---I think we can spot Tomlin at least more than 1 year.

coachspeak33
12-20-2007, 01:24 PM
I agree with the X's and O' part, memphis, but as far as the plays being "questionable" - how do we as fans really know if they ARE questionable if the players don't execute them properly? Ben is pretty tight with Arians and is outspoken enough that if he felt a particular play needed the heavo ho from the playbook, Arians would more than likely give it some heavy consideration.

I believe a coach(es) can be a teacher in the classroom, in camp and on the practice field, as well as a huge moral attribute on the field, but as the old saying goes - "you can lead a horse to water but you can't make it drink". If the players don't execute when it's crunch time, I don't believe that falls on the coach(es) shoulders as much as it falls on the players. Just my two cents.

You may very well be right.....but this is exactly what coaches get fired for all the time. Now I am not saying tomlin is gonna get fired....far from it....I have been impressed by his since his hiring.....however his team is under .500 in his last 5 games....he has not made necessary adjustments lately....apparently he waited too long to pull marvel from the jags game....so i think it is a bit harsh to say its time for our young HC to earn his pay....but we do need an effective gameplan for tonight (which I do believe is Tomlins resonsibility) and if things begin to unravel...YES that too is Tomlins job to circle the wagons

yeah he is young...i get it...but he is also the current HC of the Pittsburgh Steelers....His age doesnt give him, you or anybody else the right to avoid his job that is chock-full-of responsibility

coachspeak33
12-20-2007, 01:42 PM
decision making on gameday....if it isnt priority number one for HCs....then it is definitely near the top of the list.

preperation of gameplan...pretty high level of priority for HCs....we havent scored a TD in the 1st Q in a long while

development of team identity....i believe tomlin stated that he wanted to continue the steelers long running, "battle of attrition" style of football based on stopping the run and running the football....thomas jones and fred taylor are laughing their asses off at the leagues "best run D"

lets not be too ultra supportive HTG....things arent good right now...and the steel city natives are getting restless (rightfully so) and a good solid beating of a much lesser team is exactly what tomlin and his club needs....Well Mikey T...here is the opportunity to make this YOUR team...instead of simply beaing a part of it

Atlanta Dan
12-20-2007, 01:50 PM
decision making on gameday....if it isnt priority number one for HCs....then it is definitely near the top of the list.

preperation of gameplan...pretty high level of priority for HCs....we havent scored a TD in the 1st Q in a long while

development of team identity....i believe tomlin stated that he wanted to continue the steelers long running, "battle of attrition" style of football based on stopping the run and running the football....thomas jones and fred taylor are laughing their asses off at the leagues "best run D"

lets not be too ultra supportive HTG....things arent good right now...and the steel city natives are getting restless (rightfully so) and a good solid beating of a much lesser team is exactly what tomlin and his club needs....Well Mikey T...here is the opportunity to make this YOUR team...instead of simply beaing a part of it

Not attempting to troll and sincerely asking the following question:

Based on their respective records over the last 5 games (a large enough sample that it covers more than one team having one exceptionally good or bad game) and the Rams being the home team, what makes the Rams a "much lesser" team at the moment - IMO the losses without Jackson playing are not very relevant to factoring the Rams prospects tonight and the Steelers pre-bye record is not of much value either in considering how these teams currently are playing.

The one constant is that the Steelers are a rotten road team.

coachspeak33
12-20-2007, 02:11 PM
Their OL has been decimated by injury the whole season...that has caused many major problems on the offensive side of the ball.

Injury and inconsistency at the most important position in football - QB

Aging and limping (for most of the season) WRs

And finally and probably most significant...one of the worst Ds in the league (including the last few seasons too)

I will be honest, coming into this season I looked at the Rams as a team that could potentially do some damage in a soft NFC West...they have attempted to get better on D thru FA and the draft in the last few offseasons and this season has taught us that it just hasnt worked out for them

IF any other "playoff team/division champion/contender" were traveling to St Louis tonight how would you look at the game?

Me personally, I would say well the Rams have little to play for, but if they keep it close they have a shot cuz their at home....Id say stop Jackson and you win, Id say dont give up the deep ball to Holt or Bruce....Id say look out for Drew Bennett using his size in the red zone

Then i would say scoring points on their less than stellar D early is the easiest road to victory...remind them ini the first half just how little this game means to them

Do I think the Rams are as bad as some expansion team....of course not
But they do not belong in a game against a team who is two Ws against sub .500 teams from a division title

so yeah i think tomlin will feel the heat if he dumps week 15 or 16....HE should....as he loves to say...."thats the nature of this business"

FourThreeMafia
12-20-2007, 02:19 PM
Any Steelers fan that writes Tomlin off regardless of what happens needs to find a new team to cheer for.

He took over an 8-8 team with players that dont really fit the system he runs. The OLine is a mess and weve had injuries to key players all season. I know there are some uneducated Steeler fans that think we should win 12-14 games every year, but last season wasnt an abberation. Ben's woes were an abberation. The broken OLine, average pass rush and lack of motivation at times is reality. Does Tomlin hold some stake of blame in that? Yes, but we had those same problems under Cowher last year.

Johns and Joes before X's and O's. Coaching is important, but in the end its up to the players to perform. ALL of our losses were a result of not executing. There are only 2 games this season that you could look at and say we lost because of poor coaching decisions, and that was the Jets and Broncos games...

And if you take that road it isnt Tomlins fault, its LeBeau's.

I dont blame him for those losses because we played like crap for the most part in both of those games, but LeBeau went into prevent defense and allowed those teams to drive downfield quickly for winning scores, and almost allowed the Browns to come back.

As much as I love LeBeau, thats ALWAYS been my biggest gripe about him.

Stlr4ever
12-20-2007, 02:21 PM
"The one constant is that the Steelers are a rotten road team."
Great teams play well and win tough games on the road. I guess we are not a great team this season.

Atlanta Dan
12-20-2007, 02:36 PM
Leaving aside that this is a road game, I would feel better about tonight if more than 3of the Steelers wins were against +.500 teams (2 Browns, Seahawks).

At the present time the B&G are not avery good team.

Atlanta Dan
12-20-2007, 02:37 PM
"The one constant is that the Steelers are a rotten road team."
Great teams play well and win tough games on the road. I guess we are not a great team this season.

That is an understatement with regard to describing the play of this team over the last 5 games.

FourThreeMafia
12-20-2007, 02:47 PM
At the present time the B&G are not avery good team.

Really? Wow. Thank you. Without you, we would all be truly lost. :thumbsup:

Dino 6 Rings
12-20-2007, 03:07 PM
Key on jackson, pressure the qb, get willie 30 carries, and hines 6 or more catches. we'll win.

that's it in a nutshell...I'm ready to take over the head coaching duties should Tomlin decide he's in over his head.

Rooney can hire me for 1/10th the cost and I'll get this ship righted...right after I get off my flying unicorn and fight some wood elves over a magical light sword.

Tomlin is doing fine, the team as an entity, from man to man, need to execute better. Bottom line. Tackle better, trust each other, make better reads on both sides of the ball and just play harder for 60 mins.

HometownGal
12-20-2007, 03:08 PM

It is my right as a Steelers fan to be ultra-supportive of the team, its coaches and its owners, just as much as it is your right (and that of others) to be "ultra pessimistic" and a shade of paranoid. Believe me, I don't have black and gold blinders on - I've been a diehard fan for a lot of years, probably long before you were a twinkle in your Daddy's eye. :wink02: I clearly see the problems this team is dealing with. Personally, I don't give a damn if the Steel City natives are getting "restless" - anyone who honestly believed this team was destined for greatness in Tomlin's first season as HC and with all of the problems on the OL (which existed last season, as well) needs to step back and take themselves a reality check or cease from demanding excellence from the Steelers each and every season. In reality, that doesn't happen with any team no matter who they are, not even those who are considered "elite".

yeah he is young...i get it...but he is also the current HC of the Pittsburgh Steelers....His age doesnt give him, you or anybody else the right to avoid his job that is chock-full-of responsibility

Where have I ever used the "age" card in my support of Tomlin?

Sure his job is "chock full of responsibility", but the players jobs are just as "chock full" of the same responsibility to work hard in camp, carry that hard work over to the practice field, study the playbook like it was a bible, and apply that knowledge and hard work to game day.

Dino 6 Rings
12-20-2007, 03:14 PM
Its real simple..Mike Tomlin can't Tackle the guy with the ball, there are 11 other people whose Job that is.

Mike Tomlin can't "pick up the blitz" or "Pass Block" there are at least 7 other people who are supposed to do that.

Tomlin just needs better eyes in the replay booth. Win a challenge for me would ya Mike...

Other than that, he's doing a great job with a great team, which has had 2 very tough opponents in a row, both of which, we may get another crack at.

Atlanta Dan
12-20-2007, 03:25 PM
Really? Wow. Thank you. Without you, we would all be truly lost. :thumbsup:

Receiving such a compliment from such an long time poster is the highlight of my season:smile:

Ricco Suavez
12-20-2007, 03:33 PM
While i give Tomlin good marks for his first season as a head coach and I expect him to get better, lets remember Cowher was not what he was until he had a few seasons under his belt. With that said I have to somewhat agree with an earlier post that Cowher willed this team to win. The 05 team just seemed to take on his persona and his iron will to not lose. If you cannot accept that, then how do you explain how as a lame duck emotionless coach in 06 we seemed to just go through the motions. He let BB come back too early and I have never seen Cowher so sedate. So yes I can see how a team can get that extra from a strong willed forceful coach.

BlastFurnace
12-20-2007, 03:46 PM
No way. If we lose these next two games in blowouts Tomlin has had an excellent first season. 8-8 last year. Even if we miss the post season it is an improvement

I don't agree. This team is much better than a 9-7 squad. This is not a roster that was barren. If he finishes 9-7, I hardly call that a success. I thought this was a 11 win team before the season even began. If you call getting throttled by the Patriots and Jaguars...and then being blown out by the Rams and Ravens....that is 4 losses to close the season...then we have a different view of what is an "excellent season". I call it more another wasted season.

Tomlin has done some good things and has proven to have been a good selection by the Rooney's.

What needs to be improved to improve Mike's chances of winning another SB is for Colbert and the scouting staff need to "earn their paycheck" with drafting players where there is a true need. IMO, Timmons, Woodley, Spaeth, and Sepulveda may end up being nice players in the long run....but...we clearly had bigger needs than 3 special teams players and a backup Tight End in the 1st four rounds this year. Offensive Line was a bigger need than Linebacker coming into this season. Colbert's and the Scouting Department with their drafts and FA signings are what I think has hurt this team.

We have a solid team, but one that has aged. We still have our window this season, but unless this team gets younger, that window will close within 3 years.

Dino 6 Rings
12-20-2007, 03:48 PM
It still could be an 11 win team...including playoff wins.

HometownGal
12-20-2007, 04:08 PM
I don't agree. This team is much better than a 9-7 squad. This is not a roster that was barren.

While I agree that the roster overall was not barren, Bill Cowher had the same OL to work with last season (other than Hartings), and the Steelers had ST woes last season, as well. Tomlin inherited a good "nucleus", but he also inherited the same weaknesses as this team is presently showing, especially on the OL and ST's. Sure we could have went out and spent the entire draft on the OL, but I doubt Tomlin and Zierlien would have instituted an all-rook OL this season. The OL needs to be rebuilt, but the rebuilding will more than likely take a season or two building via the draft and FA and moving a couple of our more worthwhile OL vets around.

Big D
12-20-2007, 04:19 PM

cheese and rice dude... tomlin is a rookie coach and you are comparing him to arguably a hall of fame coach.. We as fans need to back off and realize we can't win superbowls every single freaking year

slippy
12-20-2007, 04:32 PM
cowher was 1 and 4 in home championship games.....so much for "willing his team to victory".

2005 was awesome, but in all a other years cowher was lacking in the big game.

BlastFurnace
12-20-2007, 04:33 PM
While I agree that the roster overall was not barren, Bill Cowher had the same OL to work with last season (other than Hartings), and the Steelers had ST woes last season, as well. Tomlin inherited a good "nucleus", but he also inherited the same weaknesses as this team is presently showing, especially on the OL and ST's. Sure we could have went out and spent the entire draft on the OL, but I doubt Tomlin and Zierlien would have instituted an all-rook OL this season. The OL needs to be rebuilt, but the rebuilding will more than likely take a season or two building via the draft and FA and moving a couple of our more worthwhile OL vets around.

I don't think we should have spent the entire draft on O'Lineman, but looking back at this draft, it sure would have been nice to have Logan Mankins, Ben Grubbs, or someone like that sitting in the wings for next year. Instead we have 2 guys we are unsure of at LB...and unsure of what scheme will be played here in 1 or 2 years...and...a tight end that hasn't shown he can block worth a squat and a decent punter.

The Steelers have ignored the O'line in the 1st round far too long. The one we did draft recently is nothing more than a turnstyle (Simmons).

Big D
12-20-2007, 04:33 PM
I don't agree. This team is much better than a 9-7 squad. This is not a roster that was barren. If he finishes 9-7, I hardly call that a success. I thought this was a 11 win team before the season even began. If you call getting throttled by the Patriots and Jaguars...and then being blown out by the Rams and Ravens....that is 4 losses to close the season...then we have a different view of what is an "excellent season". I call it more another wasted season.

Tomlin has done some good things and has proven to have been a good selection by the Rooney's.

What needs to be improved to improve Mike's chances of winning another SB is for Colbert and the scouting staff need to "earn their paycheck" with drafting players where there is a true need. IMO, Timmons, Woodley, Spaeth, and Sepulveda may end up being nice players in the long run....but...we clearly had bigger needs than 3 special teams players and a backup Tight End in the 1st four rounds this year. Offensive Line was a bigger need than Linebacker coming into this season. Colbert's and the Scouting Department with their drafts and FA signings are what I think has hurt this team.

We have a solid team, but one that has aged. We still have our window this season, but unless this team gets younger, that window will close within 3 years.

are you nuts dude? tomlin has done a great job despite of health issues with troy, hines, santonio, aaron smith and hell even ben. Nothing is ever good enough for some fans

Cape Cod Steel Head
12-20-2007, 04:53 PM
My only knock on Tomlin was not pulling Willie after his third or fourth fumble vs. the Fins.

Michael Keller
12-20-2007, 04:59 PM
Tomlin should not be judged by his performance this year, either good or bad. i will reserve judgment on his coaching ability no sooner than the end of next year.

SteelCityMan786
12-20-2007, 04:59 PM
My only knock on Tomlin was not pulling Willie after his third or fourth fumble vs. the Fins.

He had a bunch against the Bungals to.

BlastFurnace
12-20-2007, 05:00 PM
are you nuts dude? tomlin has done a great job despite of health issues with troy, hines, santonio, aaron smith and hell even ben. Nothing is ever good enough for some fans

Why don't you re-read my response and what I was responding to before you try to smack talk to me. Specifically when I said that Tomlin was a good choice by the Rooney's. Only.....If he finishes the season losing 4 straight games and not making the playoffs, then the season was not a success.

I was defending Tomlin. Ok.......

Some fans only read into something what they want to read.

Looks like you did that....Big D.

HometownGal
12-20-2007, 05:14 PM

Damn it - bench that bum!!! :wink02::chuckle:

Jeremy
12-20-2007, 05:16 PM

Did anyone read the comments by Jamal Lewis after the snow game in Cleveland? He said he didn't like gloves, sleeves, etc between him and the ball. The more things between skin and the ball, the greater the chance to fumble.

Big D
12-20-2007, 05:19 PM
Why don't you re-read my response and what I was responding to before you try to smack talk to me. Specifically when I said that Tomlin was a good choice by the Rooney's. Only.....If he finishes the season losing 4 straight games and not making the playoffs, then the season was not a success.

I was defending Tomlin. Ok.......

Some fans only read into something what they want to read.

Looks like you did that....Big D.

with all due respect buddy, you have done nothing but blast this team since sunday. Maybe I did misread part of your post.

BlastFurnace
12-20-2007, 05:29 PM
with all due respect buddy, you have done nothing but blast this team since sunday. Maybe I did misread part of your post.

On Sunday...yes. A lot of us were P.O.'d during and after that game.

If you want to take everything I have said as blasting the team..then so be it. I don't have a problem discussing the problems with this team, but I will also point out the positives as well.

If you don't like hearing the negatives, then sorry. I can't look at this team through black n' gold glasses.

iupdauber
12-20-2007, 05:54 PM
I personally am excited to see what Tomlin will do to make up for the holes we have in our team during the off-season this year. I dont know that I expect HUGE things in the playoffs this year, but I do expect playoffs. IMO, I dont think that coaches get paid to do well, or make playoffs, but to do great things, and win superbowls. I am not putting our HC down in any way, but to truly earn a paycheck, I think a few rings need to be in the mix.

geo123
12-20-2007, 06:02 PM
I wouldn't knock Tomlin yet, he's done OK his first year. Even with some of the line problems however these are games that we should be able to win. The coaches have to be able to make some adjustments in the play calling.

As far as Cowher goes I was never a big fan of his. They often got close but couldn't finish. Mostly I think their problem at the time was the QB. I had always said they were a QB short of a SB. O'Donell and Maddox just didn't have it.

Edman
12-20-2007, 06:08 PM
This team has improved the team by one game over last year and already put up a winning season. I think that buys Tomlin enough time.

SteelDogFan
12-20-2007, 06:36 PM
OK my reply to all the negative post from last week has to apply here.

THIS IS HIS FIRST YEAR AS A HEAD COACH!!!

I have a question: Are we Steelers fans turning into what have you done for me lateley fans or are we still a fan group who knows NFL football and realizes that HE's A ROOKIE COACH!!!!!!! I can't believe some are actually saying things like he needs to earn his paycheck, hes 9-5 as a rookie. He took over a team that is comming off a bad year playing and the fact that they lost the coach that was there longer than any on the players means a lot.

This doesn't make any sense. In the beginning of the year we all posted what we thought the Steelers record would be. Most of us stated 10-6 or 11-5 it seems that it will be somewhat close to that.

Jeremy
12-20-2007, 06:37 PM
OK my reply to all the negative post from last week has to apply here.

THIS IS HIS FIRST YEAR AS A HEAD COACH!!!

I have a question: Are we Steelers fans turning into what have you done for me lateley fans or are we still a fan group who knows NFL football and realizes that HE's A ROOKIE COACH!!!!!!! I can't believe some are actually saying things like he needs to earn his paycheck, hes 9-5 as a rookie. He took over a team that is comming off a bad year playing and the fact that they lost the coach that was there longer than any on the players means a lot.

This doesn't make any sense. In the beginning of the year we all posted what we thought the Steelers record would be. Most of us stated 10-6 or 11-5 it seems that it will be somewhat close to that.

And is two years removed from a Super Bowl victory. I know my football....and this team has played some bad football the last month.

Plus they're starting to act like the damn Oakland Raiders with all the trash talk on the field. That much is in the control of the HFC.

SteelDogFan
12-20-2007, 06:44 PM
True, but he is still in his first year as a HEAD and he will implemment his style in the next 2.

Jeremy
12-20-2007, 06:48 PM
True, but he is still in his first year as a HEAD and he will implemment his style in the next 2.

If that's his plan, he's making a huge mistake. You never start out easy on the players and then try to beef up discipline. Anyone who's been in charge of anything will tell you that you start out tough and then start loosening up things when your people show they've earned it.

SteelDogFan
12-20-2007, 07:11 PM
I did not say that was his plan, but if you have never been a CEO before, your first year you have to learn while doing your job. In the next 2 years he will become more comfortable and will start to make adjustments on the team.

For the first time this year I saw anger on his face at a press conference. He was
P-O-ed. Tomlin will put his imprint on this team. Right now he is still learning. Thanks to the Rooneys like Cower he will have time to put his personality on this generations Steelers. Right now the team is has the coordinators personalities. They will have Tomlins in the future.

You notice how all the players are talking about him being laid back and "letting the coaches coach". I don't think that is because he is quote, laid back. I believe we will see that in the future. Tomlin is hard nosed and the Steelers wiil be also.

SteelDogFan
12-20-2007, 07:17 PM
Suppose we lose the next two games, not that I believe we will, what will be your post. I'm not going to post for you I want to know what you would post.

I do agree with the fundamentally sound football concept but that is on the field, missing tackles turnovers and bad plays are in game items that calls on players to stand up.

The one thing I believe the Steelers are missing is FIRE. With Porter and Cower gone we need someone to just scream once in a while.

Jeremy
12-20-2007, 09:19 PM
Suppose we lose the next two games, not that I believe we will, what will be your post. I'm not going to post for you I want to know what you would post.

I do agree with the fundamentally sound football concept but that is on the field, missing tackles turnovers and bad plays are in game items that calls on players to stand up.

The one thing I believe the Steelers are missing is FIRE. With Porter and Cower gone we need someone to just scream once in a while.

Me?

revefsreleets
12-22-2007, 08:20 PM
Jeremy is, by far, my favorite poster here. He knows just enough about football to be dangerous. And by dangerous, I mean he's wrong, but he's REALLY convincingly wrong!

steel striker
12-22-2007, 09:02 PM
Just my two cents let's not pass judgement just yet because, the season is not over and the chances are we should be in the playoffs. Like it was mentioned this is Tomlin's first season as the head coach. It is very easy to sit here and play monday morning qb. Now I will say this ealier in the season teams could not run on us but, now they can. I'm sure we will make the proper adjustment and, be ready for the playoffs. I still think we will be able run the ball with Davenport and, Ben will make plays and run for his life. lol God I hope our oline can protect a little better.

Mandy90
12-23-2007, 06:17 AM
Cowhers teams had an identity, for the most part. So did Noll's.

Thats the thing Tomlin's team lacks.

We're not as physical as we used to be, we're not as intimidating as we used to be.

At the moment we are kind of flip flopping between being a physical or finesse team.

That being said, we're 10-5.