PDA

View Full Version : Marshall Faulk finally exposes the truth about our O-line

tony hipchest
12-20-2007, 11:55 PM
theyre not bad players. theyre just not built for this scheme.

or as he put it, they are not built to drop back and build a pocket. they are built to go forward and create holes for the power running game.

this is nothing new. all our linemen were pretty much drafted with jerome bettis and kordell stewart in mind (even after kordell left, the playbook remained the same).

in the midst of this, the steelers struck gold with the drafting of ben, heath, and santonio in the 1st rounds along with striking gold with the UDFA aquisitions of willie parker and nate washington.

our line doesnt suck, its just that the offens has out-evolved it.

look at players such as dermontti dawson, hartings, and faneca. them players could pull and lead block better than anyone (dirt dawson is regarded as one of the finest at this craft of all time).

its different players being better fit for different offensive philosophies.

for instance, leonard davis is a 1st round bust in arizona but a pro bowler in dallas.

anyone notice how great a job the line did opening holes for najeh davenport (im sure the same holes woulda still been opened for willie against a porous rams defense)

anyone notice how the line sucked blocking for ben tonight (giving up 4 sacks) yet he still had a perfect passer rating 16/20 3td's 261 yds, thanks to nuthing more than being able to leave a non existant pocket, scramble as if his 1st name were kordell (or last name were vick), and actually be able to complete a pass?

Lord Stiller
12-20-2007, 11:58 PM
theyre not bad players. theyre just not built for this scheme.

or as he put it, they are not built to drop back and build a pocket. they are built to go forward and create holes for the power running game.

I agree

Except for Mahan, he is built to sit on the bench

TackleMeBen
12-20-2007, 11:59 PM
ben has been sacked 12 times in the last 3 games. for him to still be sort of healthy is a good giving how our oline isnt playing well.

Atlanta Dan
12-21-2007, 12:04 AM
ben has been sacked 12 times in the last 3 games. for him to still be sort of healthy is a good giving how our oline isnt playing well.

In post-game NFL Network interview Ben said he will be getting MRI on ankle (he said to ask Tomlin when MRI will be performed:sofunny:) - Ben is "sort of healthy" to the extent x-rays do not show any broken bones

The Duke
12-21-2007, 12:05 AM
I agree

Except for Mahan, he is built to sit on the bench

lol, not really. he seems more built to b a guard. maybe still not a good guard on the steelers but we're kinda stuck with him and his contract

TackleMeBen
12-21-2007, 12:08 AM
In post-game NFL Network interview Ben said he will be getting MRI on ankle (he said to ask Tomlin when MRI will be performed:sofunny:) - Ben is "sort of healthy" to the extent x-rays do not show any broken bones

didnt he say something like that sunday when asked about his shoulder injury? i think he said he had been coached not to say anything regarding his injury....(when to coach tomlim turn into belicheck???lol)

fansince'76
12-21-2007, 12:12 AM
Only one problem with Faulk's theory, IMO - they haven't exactly been blowing holes open in the running game either outside of games against truly bad defenses like tonight. Willie has earned most of his yards the hard way. I've pretty much accepted that our OL is simply not very good, and is in serious need of retooling.

Lord Stiller
12-21-2007, 12:14 AM
lol, not really. he seems more built to b a guard. maybe still not a good guard on the steelers but we're kinda stuck with him and his contract

Well I hope you are right but I just dont see how he will be good at guard since he is getting dominated every game

The Steelers gave big money to Simmons and I think they will move him to left guard. I see Kemo and Colon battling for right guard next year.

Atlanta Dan
12-21-2007, 12:16 AM
didnt he say something like that sunday when asked about his shoulder injury? i think he said he had been coached not to say anything regarding his injury....(when to coach tomlim turn into belicheck???lol)

He pulled the same "ask Tomlin" routine when asked about the shoulder last week.:smile:

I think QB & Coach have talked about discussing injuries with the media after the battles Cowher & Ben had on that issue ("broken toes"/""broken thumb")

tony hipchest
12-21-2007, 12:38 AM
Only one problem with Faulk's theory, IMO - they haven't exactly been blowing holes open in the running game either outside of games against truly bad defenses like tonight. Willie has earned most of his yards the hard way. I've pretty much accepted that our OL is simply not very good, and is in serious need of retooling.very true.

we now have a 5 man line.

we used to have that ,PLUS breuner, kreider, and jerome = "8 man line" + running qb.

players like colon, kemoeatu, and essex were drafted into a certain system before we knew it would quickly evolve.

after all the years of sub qb play, did anyone really expect the steelers to finally land a qb who didnt need to remain secondary to a power running game?

the rams group of 3rd string rag-muffin o- linemen were able to hold the steelers #1 defense (known for its aggressive blitz scheme) to 1 sack, while our linemen gave up 4.

fansince'76
12-21-2007, 12:40 AM
very true.

we used to have that ,PLUS breuner, kreider, and jerome = "8 man line" + running qb.

Don't forget Hines. :chuckle:

Preacher
12-21-2007, 12:44 AM
very true.

players like colon, kemoeatu, and essex were drafted into a certain system before we knew it would quickly evolve.

after all the years of sub qb play, did anyone really expect the steelers to finally land a qb who didnt need to remain secondary to a power running game?

the rams group of 3rd string rag-muffin o- linemen were able to hold the steelers #1 defense (known for its aggressive blitz scheme) to 1 sack, while our linemen gave up 4.

TH..

We were talking about this in the game thread and you and I agreed there.

This O line simply wasn't made to hold a pocket. They were made to snap out and smack the other team. It is hard to change mindset, then back to the old one for a play now and then... which is why they are having problems with both...

tony hipchest
12-21-2007, 01:15 AM
TH..

We were talking about this in the game thread and you and I agreed there.

This O line simply wasn't made to hold a pocket. They were made to snap out and smack the other team. It is hard to change mindset, then back to the old one for a play now and then... which is why they are having problems with both...

:yep:

the steelers are trying to teach old dogs new tricks. willie is a rare breed, just like jerome bettis was. willie (and ben) are the types of players you build and offensive line around, just like our current line was built around the talents of players like kordell, maddox and jerome. maddox and kordell are only similar because they were secondary game managers as far as being a productive qb was concerned.

Rhee Rhee
12-21-2007, 02:11 AM
i dont want to hear anything about najeh and how he is going to be the savior of our sometimes non-existent running game. he has huge games aggainst the rams.. simple as that... next week is a true test for him... if he runs for over 100 ima believer but until then i have my highest doubts about him filling in for willie

The Duke
12-21-2007, 02:35 AM
i dont want to hear anything about najeh and how he is going to be the savior of our sometimes non-existent running game. he has huge games aggainst the rams.. simple as that... next week is a true test for him... if he runs for over 100 ima believer but until then i have my highest doubts about him filling in for willie

i seriously doubt anyone is gonna run for 100 against the rats any time soon. they may suck but they have a great front 7.

Dookie's been great all season, his average says it all(4.9 and will be up after the rams game). have faith in him, just don't base it in his possible not so good performance against the rats. after all most starters will be resting for most of the game:tt02:

Galax Steeler
12-21-2007, 04:48 AM
Only one problem with Faulk's theory, IMO - they haven't exactly been blowing holes open in the running game either outside of games against truly bad defenses like tonight. Willie has earned most of his yards the hard way. I've pretty much accepted that our OL is simply not very good, and is in serious need of retooling.

I have to agree with you here our OL needs a major overhall.

Dino 6 Rings
12-21-2007, 09:38 AM
Ravens are dogs that are giving up on the season, and the way they smashed in our heads TWICE last year only bodes destruction for them. We should be able to smash them open and split their brains into two as they fight amongst themselves and fight with their head coach.

One thing is for sure. One of the following will not be a Raven next year.
Brian Billick
Ray Lewis

No way they co-exist for another season. That is a team imploding more and more each week and Russell/Najeh/Davis should be able to get 150 yards plus rushing against that "give up" defense.

Jeremy
12-21-2007, 09:42 AM
Exposes? Some Steelers fans have been aware of exactly what he was saying for the last two years. But we were ignored by the fans who loved watching Saint Ben throw the ball 30 times a game and loved watching Willie Parker make all those edge runs.

tony hipchest
12-21-2007, 09:46 AM
Exposes? Some Steelers fans have been aware of exactly what he was saying for the last two years. But we were ignored by the fans... :blah:.uh, yeah.

i pretty much covered that already-

this is nothing new. all our linemen were pretty much drafted with jerome bettis and kordell stewart in mind (even after kordell left, the playbook remained the same).

Steeldude
12-21-2007, 01:44 PM
some of those sacks last night were BR's fault.

Rotorhead
12-21-2007, 02:48 PM
The BR sacks were BA (Bruce Arians) sacks with the play calling

X-Terminator
12-21-2007, 03:14 PM
The BR sacks were BA (Bruce Arians) sacks with the play calling

Still though, Ben does hold on to the ball too long, which results in sacks. His gunslinger's mentality comes into play here, and he's always looking downfield for a big play - and there's nothing wrong with that. But sometimes taking the safe play is just as good, either by throwing it away or using his check downs. Better to save a down or pick up a couple of yards than lose 7-10 yards on a sack.

CanadianSteel
12-21-2007, 03:52 PM
Agree that Ben holds the ball too long in some instances, and couple of the sacks were definitely on Ben last night as he held the ball too long looking to make a play, but you have to take the good with the bad in those cases. Saying that Ben takes way too many shots and never seems to have proper time to scan the field, always has to scramble after a few seconds, if he hasn't been sacked already. We definitely need to upgrade the O line next year to stay competitive.

revefsreleets
12-22-2007, 08:30 PM
OMG. Even when someone presents this all here, there are still some idiots who don't get it.