PDA

View Full Version : steelers tried to resign faneca? twice???

tony hipchest
12-21-2007, 12:10 PM
anyone catch the broadcasters talk about this last night. they made it sound like negotiations have been going on this year during the season, and both times, faneca rejected their offer.

anyone suprised? disappointed?

DACEB
12-21-2007, 12:16 PM
I'm not surprised at all. The Rooney's are looking for a hometown, actual performance based deal and Faneca knows there will be some team out there that will pay top dollar.

I would like to see Faneca stay, but I also trust the Rooney's to be fiscally responsible. There are a few other guys that might face the same type of situation this upcoming year.

MACH1
12-21-2007, 12:19 PM
anyone catch the broadcasters talk about this last night. they made it sound like negotiations have been going on this year during the season, and both times, faneca rejected their offer.

anyone suprised? disappointed?

Both......I'd love for him to stay, but unfortunately I don't think it's going to happen.

HometownGal
12-21-2007, 12:25 PM
I've taken the Kay sera sera attitude - what will be will be. I still do not believe Alan is worth $7 million per season and it is a pretty good bet the Rooneys don't either. No doubt some team will pay him that or close to it and I wish him well. I appreciate his stellar play for all of these years, but I think we're probably seeing the last of Alan in the Burgh.

SteelCityMan786
12-21-2007, 12:28 PM
I've taken the Kay sera sera attitude - what will be will be. I still do not believe Alan is worth $7 million per season and it is a pretty good bet the Rooneys don't either. No doubt some team will pay him that or close to it and I wish him well. I appreciate his stellar play for all of these years, but I think we're probably seeing the last of Alan in the Burgh.

Unless a change of heart happens, I don't don't doubt what your saying at all HTG.

BlastFurnace
12-21-2007, 01:00 PM

I had heard in the preseason that he was offered $18 Million over 3 years as an extension. I would be curious to know how much of that was guaranteed.

I think Hutchinson, Davis, Dockery, and and others were younger than Alan when they signed their deals. I will be very curious to see what he gets on the open market now that he is 31.

Mosca
12-21-2007, 01:04 PM
My guess would be, considering the source, that they made it up.

Atlanta Dan
12-21-2007, 01:14 PM
If I thought this team was at the tail end of being a serious SB contender and had a 2-3 year window to plausibly win it alI I might mortgage the future to keep Faneca.

But since I see the next several years as a 1998-2000 rebuilding phase I say adios to Alan. That may sound grim but remember the Steelers contended for the playoffs into December in 1998 and 2000 with Kordell & Tzak as opposed to now having a franchise QB who can win some games on his own sheer talent - it does not mean it will be like rooting for chump teams like the Falcons - it just means it is somene else's turn to meaningfully contend to win it all for a few years. With a franchise QB you can rebuild quickly - look at Green Bay.

Alan got a ring and now wants a payday - I cannot say I definitely would think any differently if I was in his fortunate position.

Atlanta Dan
12-21-2007, 01:18 PM
My guess would be, considering the source, that they made it up.

LOL - last night was one of the worst network broadcasting crews I have ever heard - Gumbel cannot do play by play & Deion + Faulk spout cliches. The Faneca negotiations fable must have been discussed while I was talking on the phone or got so frustrated by the babbling I put the sound on mute.

Add to that spotty camera work and the NFL should be embarassed about the quality of its game broadcasts.

Rotorhead
12-21-2007, 01:42 PM
I definately agree with the broadcasting, Deion and Faulk should not be aloud behind a mic, before last night Madden was the worst commentator, but at least he knows about football and commentating (unfortunately stating the obvious and breaking the game down to pre-school level). I think the NFL network would have a leg to stand on with the Cable dispute if they put out a good product . . . I don't think they will be around much longer

Steelerstrength
12-21-2007, 01:54 PM
LOL - last night was one of the worst network broadcasting crews I have ever heard - Gumbel cannot do play by play & Deion + Faulk spout cliches. The Faneca negotiations fable must have been discussed while I was talking on the phone or got so frustrated by the babbling I put the sound on mute.

Add to that spotty camera work and the NFL should be embarassed about the quality of its game broadcasts.

Gumball, Gary Coleman, is the worst play-by-play ever! Without a scripted news show he's way out of his element! And the F-troop, Neon & MFaulk, need to go back to school and learn a whole new vocabulary. Everyone, here out west, knows San Diego State is a place for those who can't qualify, academically, for a decent university. Great players do not necessarily become great announcers.

Back to the thread, Faneca is not playing Pro Bowl ball this season. I cannot determine if it's because he's worried about Mahan or Smith/Starks getting beat, or if he's lost a step, or even if he's not as motivated? Too many times have I replayed the game and witnessed him getting beat for a sack. I don't recall too many instances in the past where this happened with the same frequency.

With that said, thank you for the great years, Big Man! You were always the man to look to in regards to our line, and the epitomy of all other gaurds in the league! You gave us your best, but that just may be in your past. Enjoy the money! You deserve it.

Rotorhead
12-21-2007, 02:01 PM
I watched Faneca a bit this game, he was trying to do too much imo, I continually saw him helping out mahan then switching to help the otherside in an attempt to just slow the assault on Ben. Mahan was getting manhandled as was the other side of him . . . I still think we need to keep him, get a good Center and good LT.

Dino 6 Rings
12-21-2007, 03:42 PM
Agreed, Mahan was getting blown up all night and Alan was doing his best to help, but at the risk of missing his own assignment. However, you sign Big Ben, and you draft O-line. It is what it is. 9ers paid out huge money to build their o-line with Vets...that worked out great didn't it.

Dino 6 Rings
12-21-2007, 03:44 PM
best line all night, was when Deon responded to Marshall about attempting to tackle Steven Jackson, "what do you do when that guy is coming your way." Deon's answer, "Look for a reciever to block me"

Other than that, they were very sad at calling the game. NFL Network will address that set up for next year for sure.

RoethlisBURGHer
12-21-2007, 10:51 PM
I will definatly miss Big Red. I think that he's been to busy trying to help that bum of a center Mahan with his blocking assignments.

I think if we find a good center in FA, and move Mahan to LG to replace the departed Faneca, we will be fine. Draft a C in one of the first two rounds to groom.

I would love for Alan Faneca to change his mind and take a little bit less to stay a Steelers. Maybe he won't get the response he was hoping for in FA and comes back to Pittsburgh because our offer is either (a) better or (b) not much less and he will be on a team that he truly loves.

bratsinmybelly
12-21-2007, 11:13 PM
I've commented on this topic plenty, and I know it's probably getting a little tired but I just can't stop worrying about our o-line. Faneca is gone, done, out. Plain and simple. That is terrible in and of itself. Couple that with the fact that the rest of this group is not very good and it spells one thing........re-build. The o-line is SO,SO important to the success of your team. If you don't have one, you're toast. Faneca is the only reason that we have even close to one this year and we still leak like a sieve. After we lose him it will be dark days for a couple of years until we sign some talent and develop them. We don't have the cap room to make any serious plays in FA so were left with what we have.
One can only hope that we address it quickly so that the careers of our skill players aren't too badly diminished by having sub-par support around them.

Galax Steeler
12-22-2007, 06:23 AM
It sounds like faneca is tired of negotiations and has his mind set on leaving no matter what we pay.

susielr
12-22-2007, 09:10 AM
It sounds like faneca is tired of negotiations and has his mind set on leaving no matter what we pay.

I think he realizes too that the Steelers are going to focus on Ben and his contract in the off season and who knows if enough money will be there to pay him what he wants.

Stlrs4Life
12-22-2007, 09:30 AM

I take the same sentiments. Also tony, I hardly doubt the broadcasters have any clue on when any of the talks were bieng held.

Steeldude
12-22-2007, 02:44 PM
i believe those two attempts were made in the pre-season. if i remember correctly the steelers offered 6 mil a season and faneca turned it down.

anyone have a link to the amount offered?

HometownGal
12-22-2007, 03:31 PM
Also tony, I hardly doubt the broadcasters have any clue on when any of the talks were bieng held.

Bumble, Mumble and Stumble had no clue what was going on in the game either. :willy: I love Marshall Faulk to pieces, but those were three of the worst game commentators I've ever listened to.

lotas
12-22-2007, 04:29 PM
Bumble, Mumble and Stumble had no clue what was going on in the game either. :willy: I love Marshall Faulk to pieces, but those were three of the worst game commentators I've ever listened to.

Seriously, Deion(sp?) made it sound like a 7th grade commentary, and they were ripping on Pit the whole time.

A couple of the idiotic things i remember were them saying "losing willie parker is really going to hurt them in the sense that he is such a big air threat, and Davenport is limited to the run"

Are you f-ing kidding me? First off, WIllie is not a threat in the air. I mean he is a threat in the open field, but our playbook has nothing to do with Parker and receptions. That being said, after that TD catch by Davenport a few weeks ago, I will take him over Willie receiving ANY day.

Davenport is a player, there is no way around it, he can run, he can hit, he can catch, and he has self motivation, the team doesn't need to be doing well for him to try hard...a valuable attribution

Steel Pit
12-22-2007, 04:34 PM

Right on! Faulk does a decent job on NFL Total Access but when teamed up with Sanders, they sound like a couple of 21 year old punks at the club critiquing the ladies.

Whenever I hear Gumbel as a commentator I for some reason think that I'm listening to an ex-jock lesbian. He just has that sound about him.

Anyhow, no doubt about it, this crew is the absolute worst.

Preacher
12-22-2007, 04:36 PM
Seriously, Deion(sp?) made it sound like a 7th grade commentary, and they were ripping on Pit the whole time.

A couple of the idiotic things i remember were them saying "losing willie parker is really going to hurt them in the sense that he is such a big air threat, and Davenport is limited to the run"

Are you f-ing kidding me? First off, WIllie is not a threat in the air. I mean he is a threat in the open field, but our playbook has nothing to do with Parker and receptions. That being said, after that TD catch by Davenport a few weeks ago, I will take him over Willie receiving ANY day.

Davenport is a player, there is no way around it, he can run, he can hit, he can catch, and he has self motivation, the team doesn't need to be doing well for him to try hard...a valuable attribution

Yeah.. but he sure isn't good at answering questions... It was hurtful!!

So please just play well Dookie.. let the interviews be done with others!!

tony hipchest
12-22-2007, 04:49 PM
Whenever I hear Gumbel as a commentator I for some reason think that I'm listening to an ex-jock lesbian.

i was thinking more of Robin Roberts but.....

oh wait....

:dang:

:chuckle:

anyways, poor in game comentary aside, (i did think faulk talked some good x's and o's) i think adam schefter may have been privy to some insider info, learned during their pre-game preparation interviews.

Pro Bowl selections such as Kansas City defensive end Jared Allen, Dallas running back Marion Barber, Chicago linebacker Lance Briggs, Pittsburgh guard Alan Faneca, Dallas safety Ken Hamlin, Tennessee defensive tackle Albert Hayneworth, New England cornerback Asante Samuel, Indianapolis safety Bob Sanders and Seattle cornerback Marcus Trufant each is scheduled to become an unrestricted free agent after this season.

Allen and Haynesworth are expected to receive the franchise tag.

Barber is only a restricted free agent. Briggs and Samuels already have met incentives in their contract that prevent their teams from franchising them. Faneca is determined to depart Pittsburgh.

revefsreleets
12-22-2007, 07:57 PM
There is no truth to this, um, whatever you might call it. Alan is gone, and we should all be happy about it. We need the cash and he's slipped worse from last year. If a LG can't play above his head in a contract year after the deal that Hutchinson got, then that LG simply doesn't have it left to give.

Buh bye, Faneca. I hope you can get a Von Oelhoffen-type deal where you are vastly overpaid for 4 years when you really only have 2 left.

Steeldude
12-23-2007, 06:21 AM
There is no truth to this, um, whatever you might call it. Alan is gone, and we should all be happy about it. We need the cash and he's slipped worse from last year. If a LG can't play above his head in a contract year after the deal that Hutchinson got, then that LG simply doesn't have it left to give.

Buh bye, Faneca. I hope you can get a Von Oelhoffen-type deal where you are vastly overpaid for 4 years when you really only have 2 left.

rev, are you playing armchair QB? i sense some hypocrisy.

Big D
12-23-2007, 11:09 AM
considering faneca is in a contract season he has not played up to his own caliber. I'm ready to move on at the left guard position. adios #66

NV STEELERS 723
12-23-2007, 09:22 PM

HTG...I agree w/ you too about Faneca....I'd love to have him but the Rooneys will not pay him 7 mil a year...

As far as the broadcast, we watched it at our seafood bar down the street,and after many drinks it was easy to ignore the play by play!

Rhee Rhee
12-24-2007, 09:53 AM
I still do not believe Alan is worth $7 million per season and it is a pretty good bet the Rooneys don't either.

idk i havta disagree with you. he's the best guard in the NFL... and he looks worth it to other teams because he plays with the other members of our o-line... (no offense to them or anything...)

revefsreleets
12-25-2007, 08:33 PM
No, I'm playing armchair fiscal conservative. If we sign Faneca, we will be throwing away a HUGE amount of money. He's done, and it's time to move on. If he can even play the game of football for another 3 years I'll be surprised, and unless he goes to some team with an already established and excellent OL, the growing holes in his game are going to be even more exposed. And there's the catch. If the team has a great line, why overpay for an already ran?

Look, I'm not knocking Alan that much. He was a great LG, one of the best the Steelers have had, and, if he keeps his mouth shut and doesn't knock the Steelers FO around anymore, he'll have lot's of tributes to him at Heinz over the years and will fondly be remembered as a great Steelers Olineman, although probably not a HOF one.

zoneblitz43
12-26-2007, 07:40 PM
Faneca is greedy. He is asking for way too much for us to keep him. Faneca is on the wrong side of 30, and his play has declined, not to the extent that he is a bad player. He is a good player that was once great but lost a step. He cares more about himself than he does the team.

The_WARDen
12-27-2007, 03:20 PM
Faneca is greedy. He is asking for way too much for us to keep him. Faneca is on the wrong side of 30, and his play has declined, not to the extent that he is a bad player. He is a good player that was once great but lost a step. He cares more about himself than he does the team.

Since when is wanting to get paid = not being a team guy? These players should get every dime they can while they are still able to play the game because when it's over, the NFLPA or these owners couldn't care less about them.

So, if some team is stupid enough to overpay him then good riddance and thanks for the memories.