PDA

View Full Version : 2008 Draft - Does Willie's injury change our strategy

BlastFurnace
12-22-2007, 07:25 AM
I've never had an injury like Willie's, so I don't know realistically how fast the recovery is nor do I know if he is going to lose much speed even after recovered.

We pretty much know that Davenport is not the long term solution and who knows what Russell is right now. I am thinking that we still take an OL in the 1st round and after that, in the 2nd or 3rd round, a running back might need to be considered.

Steeldude
12-22-2007, 07:56 AM
I've never had an injury like Willie's, so I don't know realistically how fast the recovery is nor do I know if he is going to lose much speed even after recovered.

We pretty much know that Davenport is not the long term solution and who knows what Russell is right now. I am thinking that we still take an OL in the 1st round and after that, in the 2nd or 3rd round, a running back might need to be considered.

reports say parker should be fine for next season.

IMO, a RB is not needed in the draft in 2008. any RB can be picked up in free agency to fill any benchwarming needs. even if parker never plays again the steelers should not use a pick a RB on the first day. the steelers need to find at least one tackle and a center. starks will most likely be signed by another team for a huge contract. after the O-line the DL needs to be addressed.

at the moment the steelers OL is probably better suited for davenport than parker. parker tends to fly into O-line without waiting for the hole to open. losing parker shouldn't hinder the steelers chances in the post-season.

Stlrs4Life
12-22-2007, 09:48 AM
It better not because between the Draft and FA, we need an OL.

xXTheSteelKingsXx
12-22-2007, 01:51 PM
I don't see it changing our strategy. Willie should be fine for next season and we are in desperate need for an o-line improvement right now.

The Duke
12-22-2007, 02:40 PM
don't worry, willie will be fine next season. I had an injury very similar to his last year and when I healed I was even better than before.

that's actually what injuries do most people, it's about having a good mentality, if they're thinking they're never going to heal then that's probably what's going to happen, but if they keep their heads up and try to get better they will succeed.

as long as willie doesn't give up and rehabilitates plus good offseason training he should be better next season, so no, there's no need for another runningback in the early rounds.

stillers4me
12-22-2007, 02:54 PM
Players like Ben and Willie come back stronger.

Weenies like Carson don't.

The Duke
12-22-2007, 03:09 PM
Players like Ben and Willie come back stronger.

Weenies like Carson don't.

hmm.....I beg to differ , before his injury- No pro bowl MVP, after rehabilitating from an inury- Pro Bowl MVP :wink02:

OneForTheToe
12-22-2007, 03:12 PM
don't worry, willie will be fine next season. I had an injury very similar to his last year and when I healed I was even better than before.

Gentlemen, we can rebuild him. We have the technology. We have the capability to build the world's first bionic man. The Duke (or willie) will be that man. Better than he was before. Better, stronger, faster......... :thumbsup:

stillers4me
12-22-2007, 03:18 PM
hmm.....I beg to differ , before his injury- No pro bowl MVP, after rehabilitating from an inury- Pro Bowl MVP :wink02:

Carson................:bowdown:

Gentlemen, we can rebuild him. We have the technology. We have the capability to build the world's first bionic man. The Duke (or willie) will be that man. Better than he was before. Better, stronger, faster......... :thumbsup:

:sofunny: It worked for Ben................:borg:

HometownGal
12-22-2007, 03:28 PM
OL overhaul first and foremost. No ifs, ands or buts.

Willie will be fine - he had surgery yesterday and he has about 6-1/2 months to rehab and recup. :thumbsup:

Aussie_steeler
12-23-2007, 04:10 AM
I think Aaron Smiths injury and the performance of the D line will have a bigger impact on the views of the front office.

Bones usually repair stronger after a fracture or break unlike ligament damage.
Willie will probably come back an even bigger ball of muscle.

Galax Steeler
12-23-2007, 06:58 AM
Absolutly ol first day of draft then if there is a good back on the second day I would say grab him.

Elvis
12-23-2007, 08:06 AM
:coffee:
I think that the Steelers need to find some O Line help myself, but in the 2nd or 3rd round if there is a sleeper there that was Not supposed to be I think that they should grab him up. We need some young fresh legs. And obviously the Steelers are not ready to put him on the field right now.
:tt02:

Glace
12-23-2007, 09:42 AM
Depends how much talent is left in the 3rd or 4th round.....because if we don't spend the first 2 picks on the O-Line....we are in trouble.

If we don't....I better see the Rooney Wallet open in free-agency, because with the players likely to be gone next year...we're going to have some cap room.

Preacher
12-23-2007, 09:47 AM
Depends how much talent is left in the 3rd or 4th round.....because if we don't spend the first 2 picks on the O-Line....we are in trouble.

If we don't....I better see the Rooney Wallet open in free-agency, because with the players likely to be gone next year...we're going to have some cap room.

Funny...

that seems to be the universal sentiment around here...

Either we are all right... or we have all missed the boat completely.

Least I am with some great people if I have to wait for the next boat!

RoethlisBURGHer
12-23-2007, 02:22 PM
Willie Parker will be just fine. He won't lose any speed and will come back stronger than he was this year, especially in the lower body.

We need to draft a tackle and a center in the draft. Mahan can move to gaurd to fill Faneca's spot when he bolts in FA.

NV STEELERS 723
12-23-2007, 09:16 PM
Im just hoping a animal OF lineman will fit the bill for our lst pick...we need a couple bad!

ShutDown24
12-23-2007, 09:24 PM
I don't think we take a running back until VERY late if at all... That is, unless Chris Johnson drops past the third for some reason...

SteelerFanInCA
12-23-2007, 10:58 PM
Willie should be fine. If it were torn ligamints then that might be a different story. I'm sure he will recover and come back stong in 08.

Dino 6 Rings
12-24-2007, 11:36 AM
After taking linebackers with the 1st two picks last season, I doubt they will jump into that well again.

O-Line is where they will most likely focus, unless a play maker stud is left by the time we draft, look for O-line to be addressed.

OneForTheToe
12-24-2007, 12:41 PM
Im just hoping a animal OF lineman will fit the bill for our lst pick...we need a couple bad!

I agree assuming there is still one left out there. After all, we will be picking last. :tt02:

In any cae, isn't this suppossed to be a pretty weak class for offensive lineman?