PDA

View Full Version : Turf Wars and Other Tidbits

HometownGal
12-22-2007, 08:31 AM
Mr. Rooney - STICK WITH GRASS!!!! :thumbsup:

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/07356/843782-66.stm

Steelers Notebook: Turf wars -- Natural or artificial at Heinz Field?

Saturday, December 22, 2007
By Gerry Dulac, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Steelers chairman Dan Rooney always has preferred a grass surface at Heinz Field, an idea that likely will be reinforced after what happened to Willie Parker -- and nearly Ben Roethlisberger -- in the 41-24 victory in St. Louis Thursday night.

The Rams play on an artificial surface at the Edward Jones Dome, and some of the Steelers are not surprised they have 11 players on the season-ending injured reserve list, including offensive tackle Orlando Pace and linebacker Leonard Little.

"The turf will do it to you," said receiver Hines Ward. "Everyone always talks about how it feels, but that's the reason why our field is good. It prevents injuries. They probably have 10 guys on IR because of playing on that turf."

Parker broke the fibula in his right leg on his first carry of the game. In addition, Roethlisberger injured his right ankle on a sack near the end of the first half when his foot appeared to get stuck in the turf while he was being tackled by safety Corey Chavous. Roethlisberger remained in the game.

The Steelers, though, are considering a switch to an artificial surface at Heinz Field because of the wear and tear on the grass surface and the poor conditions that have resulted the past three games.

Injured reserve
Parker wasn't the only significant injury against the Rams.

Rookie linebacker Lawrence Timmons, the team's No. 1 pick, fractured his hand playing on special teams. But, unlike Parker, he is expected to play Dec. 30 game in Baltimore.

Also, Pro Bowl linebacker James Harrison sustained a groin injury, but it is not believed to be significant. He will be evaluated next week.

Fake punt planned
Daniel Sepulveda always is one of the first players on the field in pre-game warmups, usually throwing the football with long-snapper Greg Warren. There was no special significance to him doing it before the St. Louis game, even though he threw the first pass of his NFL career.

"No," said special teams coach Bob Ligashesky. "He always does that."

Ligashesky, who worked the previous two seasons as special teams coach in St. Louis, said that while studying game video he noticed the Rams sometimes leave the middle of the field open on punt returns. So he had a fake punt ready for the game and called it in the first quarter on fourth-and-7 at the Steelers' 46.

The result: Sepulveda threw a 32-yard pass to Najeh Davenport to keep the drive alive and eventually produce a field goal.

"We don't live in our fears, we live in our hopes," coach Mike Tomlin said of the fake punt. "We saw the look and, in a week of preparation, we got in the situation that could produce the look that we would call it, and they did."

Team record
Ward became the team's all-time leader in receiving yards, passing Hall of Fame receiver John Stallworth, when he caught six passes for 59 yards against the Rams.

Ward, already the team leader in career receptions (719) and touchdown catches (65), now has 8,737 receiving yards in 10 NFL seasons.

Sure foot
Jeff Reed kicked two more field goals against the Rams, making him 10 for 11 this season on the road and 20 of 21 away from Heinz Field the past two seasons.

Reed's only miss was a 65-yard attempt near the end of the first half in Denver, a kick the Steelers tried only because they were playing in mile-high altitude where the ball flies farther.

Since the 2005 season, Reed has converted 37 of 39 road field-goal attempts, including the playoffs.

Tied for picks
Cornerback Ike Taylor and safety Anthony Smith each had interceptions against the Rams, keeping them tied for the team lead with three apiece.

It was the third time this season the Steelers had two interceptions in a game.

Stlrs4Life
12-22-2007, 10:51 AM
I can understand Hines opinions on it. Our HS team has the field turf and we haven't had the injuries on it that I know of.

SteelCityMan786
12-22-2007, 11:36 AM
I can understand Hines opinions on it. Our HS team has the field turf and we haven't had the injuries on it that I know of.

We've had people get injured on our turf and miss a lot of time. So Hines is reinforcing why artifical stuff should be banned and people need to install the real stuff. Some places though like st. louis, need the turf since they're in doors.

jjpro11
12-22-2007, 02:38 PM
just let the players vote on it.. its their home field.. let them decide how they can best get an advantage while playing at home.

MasterOfPuppets
12-22-2007, 02:48 PM
We've had people get injured on our turf and miss a lot of time. So Hines is reinforcing why artifical stuff should be banned and people need to install the real stuff. Some places though like st. louis, need the turf since they're in doors.
domes should also be eliminated....:coffee:

noto45
12-22-2007, 02:59 PM
didnt Krieder blow out his acl on natural turf?

HometownGal
12-22-2007, 04:40 PM
domes should also be eliminated....:coffee:

I agree. Football should be played outside in the elements. None of this pussified indoors stuff. :thumbsup:

Jeremy
12-22-2007, 04:53 PM
Dan Krieder might have a different opinion Hines.

Preacher
12-22-2007, 05:31 PM
I agree. Football should be played outside in the elements. None of this pussified indoors stuff. :thumbsup:

Yep... Except I can understand Arizona in doors.

You can always put more on... but you can only take off SO MUCH OFF...:jawdrop:

and before anyone gets cute thinking about good looking guys and gals...

Do you really want to see the rest of this?

http://zubazpants.com/sports/wp-content/uploads/2007/08/steeler-fan.jpg

Galax Steeler
12-23-2007, 07:36 AM

Absolutley agree 100%

SteelCityMan786
12-23-2007, 11:00 AM

Or for those stadiums with roofs. KEEP EM OPEN!