PDA

View Full Version : Home Field

she_had_man_hands
12-23-2007, 04:51 PM
Assuming we play Jacksonville, do we get home field because of being division champs or do they with the better record and/or head to head victory? I am guessing division champs get it? If so, seems kind of weird...I wonder how often that has happened?

fansince'76
12-23-2007, 04:55 PM
We get home field by virtue of being a division champ and getting at the very least a #4 seed - the best Jax can get is the #5 seed, which they have locked up already. We got the AFCCG at home against the Broncos in '97 as we won the AFC Central that year and the Broncos finished 2nd in their division to the Chiefs, even though we finished 11-5 that year and the Broncos finished 12-4 (the Chiefs were 13-3). However, we beat the Broncos during the regular season that year and lost the AFCCG to them. I'm hoping a similar pattern plays out if we wind up having to play Jax in the WC round.

Edman
12-23-2007, 05:02 PM
The Steelers will get a home game in the wildcard round no matter what happens next week.

Get #3: They'll play Cleveland/Tennesee at home in the Wildcard Round. Likely travel to Indy in the Divisional Playoffs if they win.

Get#4: Play Jacksonville at home in the Wildcard Round. Likely travel back to NE in the Divisional Round if they win.

The second scenario is definately a tougher route. But then again, as we learned in 2004 against the Pats, and in 2005 against Indy, it's tough to beat to beat a good team twice in a season.

OneForTheToe
12-23-2007, 05:06 PM
Here is the story from the NFL website:

http://www.nfl.com/news/story;jsessionid=C119219CC865B0388ACB7041031AB504? id=09000d5d80466477&template=without-video&confirm=true

SteelCityMan786
12-23-2007, 05:07 PM
The Steelers will get a home game in the wildcard round no matter what happens next week.

Get #3: They'll play Cleveland/Tennesee at home in the Wildcard Round. Likely travel to Indy in the Divisional Playoffs if they win.

Get#4: Play Jacksonville at home in the Wildcard Round. Likely travel back to NE in the Divisional Round if they win.

The second scenario is definately a tougher route. But then again, as we learned in 2004 against the Pats, and in 2005 against Indy, it's tough to beat to beat a good team twice in a season.

3 seed is going to Indy REGUARDLESS of who they beat in the wild card because the Pats clinched home field advantage.

iloveben7
12-23-2007, 06:53 PM
How do the Chargers have a better conference record? We are 5-0 and most likely will be 6-0 after next week. What's the tie breaker after conference record?

jjpro11
12-23-2007, 06:55 PM
The Steelers are definitely going to be the #4 seed. Our only chance is if the Chargers lose out against the Broncos and the Raiders, while the Steelers win their final game versus the Ravens. I don't see the Chargers losing their final 2.

At this time the Chargers have a better conference record than the Steelers by one game. If the Chargers lose one of their final 2 then the Steelers would have the same conference record. At that point the tiebreaker process would lead to common games played between the 2 clubs, a minimum of 4 is mandatory.

The Steelers and Chargers both lost to the Jaguars and the Patriots. Both teams beat the Ravens. The Steelers will lose the tiebreaker becuase they lost to the Broncos while the Chargers beat them(TWICE).

The Steelers might as well rest some starters because NOTHING is going to change our seeding position and NOTHING is going to change our 1st playoff opponent, the Jaguars.

its not that hard actually. the chargers only have to lose one of their last 2 and us win vs the ravens.. the chargers are favorites in both, but the broncos could do it tomorrow night. we would get the #3 seed because of a better record

jjpro11
12-23-2007, 06:56 PM
How do the Chargers have a better conference record? We are 5-0 and most likely will be 6-0 after next week. What's the tie breaker after conference record?

your thinking division record.. that doesnt count with tiebreakers against teams outside our division (ravens, browns, bengals).

iloveben7
12-23-2007, 06:57 PM
^ oh yeah. sorry I was confused

MasterOfPuppets
12-23-2007, 06:58 PM
The Steelers are definitely going to be the #4 seed. Our only chance is if the Chargers lose out against the Broncos and the Raiders, while the Steelers win their final game versus the Ravens. I don't see the Chargers losing their final 2.

At this time the Chargers have a better conference record than the Steelers by one game. If the Chargers lose one of their final 2 then the Steelers would have the same conference record. At that point the tiebreaker process would lead to common games played between the 2 clubs, a minimum of 4 is mandatory.

The Steelers and Chargers both lost to the Jaguars and the Patriots. Both teams beat the Ravens. The Steelers will lose the tiebreaker becuase they lost to the Broncos while the Chargers beat them(TWICE).

The Steelers might as well rest some starters because NOTHING is going to change our seeding position and NOTHING is going to change our 1st playoff opponent, the Jaguars.eeeehhhhhhmmmmmm...if the chargers lose one of the two, that makes 6 loses....steelers only have 5.....:coffee:

X-Terminator
12-23-2007, 07:28 PM

The Steelers might as well rest some starters because NOTHING is going to change our seeding position and NOTHING is going to change our 1st playoff opponent, the Jaguars.

Incorrect. The Steelers right now are the #3 seed (10-5 vs. 9-5 for the Chargers), and if they win next week and the Chargers lose one of their remaining games, then the Steelers will be the #3 seed (11-5 vs. 10-6 for the Chargers).

Steel Pit
12-23-2007, 08:11 PM
eeeehhhhhhmmmmmm...if the chargers lose one of the two, that makes 6 loses....steelers only have 5.....:coffee:

You're right, Dang, I really should take these goggles off, for some reason I didn't read the Chargers loss column correctly. DDDDDDDUUUUUUUHHHHHHH!!

Thanks for pointing out my ERROR!

Steel Pit
12-25-2007, 04:58 AM
eeeehhhhhhmmmmmm...if the chargers lose one of the two, that makes 6 loses....steelers only have 5.....:coffee:

Looks as if someone else made the same mistake as I, lol

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/07358/844189-367.stm

Rhee Rhee
12-25-2007, 06:34 PM
wow this was a little dumb... lol jk jk