PDA

View Full Version : What advantage is there to 3rd seed over 4th?

chenzzo
12-24-2007, 09:54 AM
I'm just curious, as the intricacies of the playoff seeding process are like some sort of kryptonite to me. It looks like it mostly just affects who we play against? Is that correct?

So why do we want to be 3rd seed instead of 4th, and will it help us in any way?

Rhee Rhee
12-24-2007, 10:01 AM
umm both are bad... we either end up playing the colts at RCA or patriots at a freezing gillette... you pick.

Da Steeler Soprano
12-24-2007, 11:46 AM
The 3rd seed would pit us agasint either the Browns or Titans in the Wildcard. The 4th seed would pit us agasint the Jags. IF it happens we get the 3rd seed and win, we would play Indy in the second round and the Jags (if they win the wildcard round) would play New England in the second round.

That seems like a much better playoff scenario picture to me then if we were the 4th seed and played the Jags in the wildcard and if we won go on to play New England in the second round. When we played the Jags and Pats in consecutive weeks in the season the outcome wasnt good...

Hope this helps ya out.

TapOut64
12-24-2007, 11:48 AM
If both the #3 and #4 seeds advance to the next round then #1 plays #4 and #2 plays #3. You can argue that your #1 seed should be the best team so you would want to play the #2 seed. Also, if something goes crazy in the playoffs like the #1 and #2 seeds losing (I know, remote chance) you would want to be the #3 seed and get homefield for the AFC championship game.

pittsburghgirl8786
12-24-2007, 12:56 PM
There is none except the wildcard team we play and the team that they/we play after that game. I would like to avoid the Jags and Pats as much as possible!

Welcome To Smashmouth
12-24-2007, 01:03 PM
Oh man do I want to meet, greet, and BEAT the titans in the playoffs! Any of you guys remember back in what, '01 or '02 when we met up with the titans and got hit with that BOGUS roughing the kicker call on dwayne washington?? then after the game nedney tells reporters he thinks hes going to take up acting after his football career is over.... my friend (huge titan friend) almost lost his life after that one.

i'm licking my chops at another chance at those guys. not to mention that vince-ben tandem on the field would be nothing but lights-out entertainment

Michael Keller
12-24-2007, 01:04 PM
To me the most significant advantage is that IF in fact both the Steelers and San Diego win the wild card and divisional games we would host the AFC championship game.

Other than this possibility it does not matter to me how it goes. Of course I would like to be the team that beats the Patriots this year as I hope some one does because I have had enough of them , period.

SteelCityMan786
12-24-2007, 01:25 PM
I'd much rather go to Indy if we win and Avoid Jacksonville for as long as possible.

jjpro11
12-24-2007, 01:28 PM
even if the pats beat the jags in the 2nd round.. you know damn well the jags are going to smack the pats up a bit. they play a lot like us too.. so there would be some decent game film to watch if we were to somehow make the afccg too. the #3 seed is definitely the way to go.

touchdownward
12-24-2007, 01:53 PM
Oh man do I want to meet, greet, and BEAT the titans in the playoffs! Any of you guys remember back in what, '01 or '02 when we met up with the titans and got hit with that BOGUS roughing the kicker call on dwayne washington?? then after the game nedney tells reporters he thinks hes going to take up acting after his football career is over.... my friend (huge titan friend) almost lost his life after that one.

i'm licking my chops at another chance at those guys. not to mention that vince-ben tandem on the field would be nothing but lights-out entertainment
Yep, I still get ticked thinking about that game.
Nedney pulled a Dennis Rodman flop on that one and then had the gall to brag about it afterwards.

SteelCurtain
12-24-2007, 02:13 PM
Honestly....WHO THE HELL CARES??? We are in the playoffs and to be the best you gotta beat the best!

43SteelCurtainRevolution
12-24-2007, 03:26 PM
It absolutely matters. We do NOT want to play the Jags or Pats early on in the playoffs (or at all!). We want those teams to hurt each other / become eliminated early on before we play them. And while it would be nice for us if we beat the Patriots... I don't see it happening this year :(

SteelCurtain
12-24-2007, 03:55 PM
Why do we not want to play the Jags early on in the playoffs? If im wrong then correct me, but I do believe the Jags barely beat us in a game where we played horribly. The steelers will be ready for them in the playoffs...

Why must we play the "elite" teams later in the playoffs? Because they might be beat up by then? What if we are even more banged up when that time comes then we are now? It doesn't matter who, what, when, where, or why we play someone....all that matters is we come to play and play our best. If that happens we will beat any team in the league including the "greatest team ever."

eafratitpm3
12-24-2007, 11:31 PM
I think all the nay sayers would be all over Pittsburgh when we beat the Jags in the first round. I think I've heard more about them this past week the the Patsies. Bring em' on! I agree with SteelCurtain that the Jags barely beat us on a day where our D played horribly. I don't see the Chargers losing to Oakland next week even when we beat down the Ratbirds so it will be another Steeler/Jags matchup.

ricksteelers55
12-25-2007, 03:16 AM
AM I the only one seeking revenge ASAP ?

I totally want us to finish 4th so we could have a rematch against Jagz and then we could go to Foxboro to eliminate the Pats in front of their own crowd.

I say let's rest our Regular Starters against the Ratbirds,Give the start to backups and then let's host the Jagz

GO STEELERS

PLAYOFFFFFS TIME BABY

Preacher
12-25-2007, 03:35 AM
AM I the only one seeking revenge ASAP ?

I totally want us to finish 4th so we could have a rematch against Jagz and then we could go to Foxboro to eliminate the Pats in front of their own crowd.

I say let's rest our Regular Starters against the Ratbirds,Give the start to backups and then let's host the Jagz

GO STEELERS

PLAYOFFFFFS TIME BABY

Man... it sure would be nice...

Galax Steeler
12-25-2007, 05:34 AM
I don't think it matters who we play let the cards fall the way they will.

Lord Stiller
12-25-2007, 09:20 AM
There is an absolute HUGE advantage in being the 3rd seed rather than the 4th this year.

The 4th seed has to face a very good Jax team that actually has a better record than both the 3 and 4 seed. Jax is a complete team with few weaknesses. The same team that thumped us good a few weeks ago.

The 3rd seed gets to play an incomplete team. Titans can not pass the ball and Cleveland cannot play defense

Oh well, looks like we are going to get the 4 seed anyways. If our D cant figure out how to stop the run, its going to be a long embarassing day