PDA

View Full Version : Welcome back Verron!

ShutDown24
12-24-2007, 12:36 PM
He is officially a Pittsburgh Steeler again.

http://news.steelers.com/article/86416/

Coach Tomlin said in his press conference today that Haynes will be getting 3rd down action as well as spelling Najeh Davenport a long with Carey Davis.

Dino 6 Rings
12-24-2007, 12:42 PM
That's nice. Hopefully he can get some carries late in the 4th quarter after we've already established a lead and need to kill clock.

Hope he's in "game" shape in 2 weeks. I'd like to see Russell and Davis get lots of work this weekend against the Ravens and have 4 guys dressed at RB come playoff time.

SteelCityMan786
12-24-2007, 12:44 PM
:link:

ShutDown24
12-24-2007, 12:48 PM
:link:

RoethlisBURGHer
12-24-2007, 01:20 PM
Welcome back Verron Haynes!

Another advantage to having him back is he's a very good blocking FB.

SteelCityMan786
12-24-2007, 01:32 PM

That's all I asked for. (Just a suggestion, post a link, or else some people will question credibility unless your posting one of those stories from Sportspickle, the onion, etc.)

Anyway, welcome back Verron. Looking forward to seeing that 3rd down back working his magic again.

jjpro11
12-24-2007, 01:35 PM
he'll probably get some good action sunday with us likely to rest davenport. but i really hope they use russell as well. i remember the 2004 last game of the season vs the bills when willie parker got his first start because we clinched.. he went for over 100 yards with all the backups in on offense against a team fighting for the playoffs.

lamberts-lost-tooth
12-24-2007, 01:43 PM
he'll probably get some good action sunday with us likely to rest davenport. but i really hope they use russell as well. i remember the 2004 last game of the season vs the bills when willie parker got his first start because we clinched.. he went for over 100 yards with all the backups in on offense against a team fighting for the playoffs.

Simple math as far as I am concerned...Russell made the team and should be back next year....Haynes was cut. Therefore, give the carries to Russell!!

ShutDown24
12-24-2007, 01:46 PM
Simple math as far as I am concerned...Russell made the team and should be back next year....Haynes was cut. Therefore, give the carries to Russell!!

I don't think Russell has impressed the team since the end of camp... He has like five carries on the season and often doesn't even suit up.

SteelCityMan786
12-24-2007, 02:33 PM

I think Davenport will start but after the Steelers are up by a certain point, he'll sit.

xXTheSteelKingsXx
12-24-2007, 03:33 PM
Glad to see Veron back but I agree with LLT. Russell made the team so I want to see what he can do.

I-Want-Troy's-Hair
12-24-2007, 03:42 PM
Welcome back Verron Haynes!

Another advantage to having him back is he's a very good blocking FB.

in addition to being a very good blocking FB he's HEALTHY!!! :cheer::cheer::cheer:

HometownGal
12-24-2007, 04:58 PM
This is a good move on the Steelers' part. :cheers: Excellent news! :tt02:

MasterOfPuppets
12-24-2007, 05:16 PM
so now what ? leave russell inactive, and activate the guy he beat out for a roster spot ??? :huh:

The Duke
12-24-2007, 05:30 PM
Tomlin said all 4 runningbacks will get carries. but it makes me wonder, they are going to have 4 running backs active? I don't think they've done this this season yet, so if they do who is going to become inactive? some lineman? anthony smith( no way)?

ShutDown24
12-24-2007, 05:40 PM
Tomlin said all 4 runningbacks will get carries. but it makes me wonder, they are going to have 4 running backs active? I don't think they've done this this season yet, so if they do who is going to become inactive? some lineman? anthony smith( no way)?

Could it be that he means Davis, who is a FB? If you look at it that way three running backs are dressing in Dookie, Haynes and Russell...

Preacher
12-24-2007, 05:48 PM
so now what ? leave russell inactive, and activate the guy he beat out for a roster spot ??? :huh:

That is exactly my question as well.

I have never been impressed with Verron. He got beat out at camp. Now... they are bringing him back? Why, exactly?

ShutDown24
12-24-2007, 05:55 PM
That is exactly my question as well.

I have never been impressed with Verron. He got beat out at camp. Now... they are bringing him back? Why, exactly?

Well, to answer your question at it's simplest form 'why' - Because Davenport is our normal third down back but will be the starter, that means he will be tired more and we therefore we need another third down back.

Furthermore: I don't think you can say you have 'never' been impressed with him. I remember a couple of years ago on a game winning drive (Or of equal importance) 3rd and about 13 and Haynes picked it up on a draw... It wasn't one of those perfectly executed draws either. He had to avoid a man then run over the last one to gain the yardage. That was probably the most memorable play of his career for me.

He is an elite third down back. In a league where third down backs are almost becoming extinct, there isn't much demand for a guy like Verron but he can block with the best of them. He has good hands and an excellent understanding of defenses, almost to the level of a quarterback. He already knows the playbook, has a lot of big game experience and is a great guy.

He may not be a physical specimen running the ball; but picking up a guy with that much heart, I don't think you can go wrong.

(Those aren’t just my assessments by the way, most of that his teammates have said over the years)

Preacher
12-24-2007, 05:58 PM
I don't think you can say you have 'never' been impressed with him. I remember a couple of years ago on a game winning drive (Or of equal importance) 3rd and about 13 and Haynes picked it up on a draw... It wasn't one of those perfectly executed draws either. He had to avoid a man then run over the last one to gain the yardage. That was probably the most memorable play of his career for me.

He is an elite third down back. In a league where third down backs are almost becoming extinct, there isn't much demand for a guy like Verron but he can block with the best of them. He has good hands and an excellent understanding of defenses, almost to the level of a quarterback. He already knows the playbook, has a lot of big game experience and is a great guy.

He may not be a physical specimen running the ball; but picking up a guy with that much heart, I don't think you can go wrong.

(Those aren?t just my assessments by the way, most of that his teammates have said over the years)

Actually... I HAVE NEVER... been impressed with him. I don't know why, but I have always thought he was a second tier back. Now, if he can step up as a FB.. that is something different. But as a HB, I just have not liked him.

and one play will not change my mind.

steelpride12
12-24-2007, 06:00 PM
Great news!
Welcome back Haynes and can't wait to see you on 3rd downs again. It just was not the same without you!

ShutDown24
12-24-2007, 06:03 PM
Actually... I HAVE NEVER... been impressed with him. I don't know why, but I have always thought he was a second tier back. Now, if he can step up as a FB.. that is something different. But as a HB, I just have not liked him.

and one play will not change my mind.

It isn't a secret that he isn't the best runner. That is why he was a fullback a lot in college. As far as that one play goes however, that was maybe his best running play. He has had far better plays blocking that obviously are not noticeable to most. Watch him on third down passing situations, unless he has really lost something you will almost never see him lose to his man. That is why he is valuable. Running situations on third you can expect that someone else will probably be in there.

Preacher
12-24-2007, 06:07 PM
It isn't a secret that he isn't the best runner. That is why he was a fullback a lot in college. As far as that one play goes however, that was maybe his best running play. He has had far better plays blocking that obviously are not noticeable to most. Watch him on third down passing situations, unless he has really lost something you will almost never see him lose to his man. That is why he is valuable. Running situations on third you can expect that someone else will probably be in there.

Think about how horrible a situation that is.

Opposing coaches see Verron coming in, and change out to a dime package knowing that it is going to be a passing play.

Again. I am not impressed. I undertand we may NEED him because of our RB situation. However, I would think he would be behind EVErYONE ELSE on the depth chart.

MasterOfPuppets
12-24-2007, 06:17 PM

Opposing coaches see Verron coming in, and change out to a dime package knowing that it is going to be a passing play.

Again. I am not impressed. I undertand we may NEED him because of our RB situation. However, I would think he would be behind EVErYONE ELSE on the depth chart.yup....whats the point in having russell on the roster,if he has no chance of ever seeing the field ??? are they that unconfident in him that they have to get a guy off his coach to come play??? a guy that apparently NOBODY felt was worth giving a roster spot to.

ShutDown24
12-24-2007, 06:28 PM

Again. I am not impressed. I undertand we may NEED him because of our RB situation. However, I would think he would be behind EVErYONE ELSE on the depth chart.

We won a Super Bowl with the same setup :cheers:

klick81
12-24-2007, 07:04 PM
Welcome back Verron. We need you.

Rhee Rhee
12-25-2007, 03:08 AM
too bad for gary russel... i was hoping to see him get to play some..

Galax Steeler
12-25-2007, 06:29 AM
Maybe veron will be the 3rd running back and russell will get some playing time at the number 2 running back.

verks36
12-25-2007, 10:54 AM
i knew he would be back
brings back the good ol daays

LVSteelersfan
12-25-2007, 12:47 PM
That's all I asked for. (Just a suggestion, post a link, or else some people will question credibility unless your posting one of those stories from Sportspickle, the onion, etc.)

Read the post before screaming LINK LINK LINK. The link is definitely in the first post when I read it.

xXTheSteelKingsXx
12-25-2007, 01:04 PM
Read the post before screaming LINK LINK LINK. The link is definitely in the first post when I read it.

The post was edited and the link was added.

Jman
12-25-2007, 02:07 PM
Welcome back Verron!