PDA

View Full Version : Heath Miller To Dallas

Welcome To Smashmouth
12-24-2007, 12:59 PM
No, I haven't received any insider tip that Heath is being shopped around to Dallas, so sit back down and thank your stars.

This is more of a "think of the possibilities if...." Heath Miller were in an offensive scheme like the one Dallas utilizes. I honestly believe with the talent+potential+athletic abilities that we could honestly see Heath doing big things on the football field damn near like Jason Witten is in dallas. If you can mentally take Jason Witten out of the picture completely and insert Heath, this guy is a STUD in my dad's laughed-upon sense of the word. The Burgh has gotten a lot better with utilizing him this season (compared to the previous two) but I still believe we're not getting all we can out of the guy. I just see the words "clutch" "consistant with his hands" and "playmaker" written all over him....

This is my version of a call-out to the coaching staff to make this guys potential be known, but in the mean time i'll leave it up for debate with you scrubs....MERRY CHRISTMAS!!
:cheers:

skinart82
12-24-2007, 01:10 PM
I would love tosee Heath used more like that, he is such a consitent threat to D's if he was used more.

LambertLunatic
12-24-2007, 01:40 PM
Right now, Ward and Holmes are our main receiving threats, with the TE an afterthought. With Ward getting older and more expensive each year, we're soon going to need a receiver to compliment Holmes. If next year is Ward's last with the Steelers (blasphemy, I know, but a real possibility) then Heath will be essential in '09. Under utilizing him till then will only make him easier to extend after next year. By then, Tomlin will have made all of his changes, including O Coordinator, and the TE might actually become a major weapon for us.

rbryan
12-24-2007, 01:43 PM
And if he's lucky he could start dating Ashley Simpson.....not

xXTheSteelKingsXx
12-24-2007, 02:35 PM
I think the current coaching staff planned on using him more comming into the season but with the horrible play of the o-line, Heath has to stay in and help protect Ben.

Welcome To Smashmouth
12-24-2007, 02:46 PM
^ Yeah, you could be right on that one. It's pretty bad when I get at least 2-3 leaps up to exlaim "damn, how did he get away from that?!" and still hes atop the league in times sacked. his escapability is SO impressive and has me 'wowed' just about every game. so having heath back there to help out would make sense. 8TDs aint bad tho...

MasterOfPuppets
12-24-2007, 02:51 PM
I think the current coaching staff planned on using him more comming into the season but with the horrible play of the o-line, Heath has to stay in and help protect Ben.:busted::busted:...DING DING DING !!!

Michael Keller
12-24-2007, 03:01 PM
I think the current coaching staff planned on using him more comming into the season but with the horrible play of the o-line, Heath has to stay in and help protect Ben.

Young man (Steel King)

You are absolutely right , this offensive line is BAD and it effects every aspect of the offense. Ben's performance would go from great to Brady like with a good offensive line and yes heath Miller is a superb tight end and a impact pass receiver.

X-Terminator
12-24-2007, 03:52 PM

Actually, I think it was the injury to Jerame Tuman that caused Heath to be underutilized, since he now has to block more rather than be more of a receiver. The OL's problems only exacerbated the need for him to stay in to block.

MasterOfPuppets
12-24-2007, 04:28 PM
Actually, I think it was the injury to Jerame Tuman that caused Heath to be underutilized, since he now has to block more rather than be more of a receiver. The OL's problems only exacerbated the need for him to stay in to block.
you may be on to something there X. maybe one of our resident stat freaks could find heath's stats ,before and after ,tumans injury. it does seem as though the decline did start around that time.

The Duke
12-24-2007, 04:33 PM

I think that's it. If you notice, right after jerame went down Heath has been utilized less, kinda like last year. and that raises the question.....what about spaeth? if he ain't getting many balls thrown his way then why isn't he blocking. and if he can't block then that could have actually been a wasted pick

Preacher
12-24-2007, 04:34 PM

You're absolutely right on that I believe!

MasterOfPuppets
12-24-2007, 04:52 PM
I think that's it. If you notice, right after jerame went down Heath has been utilized less, kinda like last year. and that raises the question.....what about spaeth? if he ain't getting many balls thrown his way then why isn't he blocking. and if he can't block then that could have actually been a wasted pick
upon further review, there's no conclusive evidence......

6 games with tuman........19 rec.....283 yds.....14.9 avg.....3.1 rpg.....2 td
9 games without tuman...25 rec....263 yds.....10.5 avg.....2.7 rpg.....5 td

The Duke
12-24-2007, 05:30 PM

hmmm......so maybe I have noticed him less because they were using more short passes with him, like when he began blocking and then got instantly open for the pass, I remember he did this especially in the denver game and got a TD out of it. the touchdowns certainly have increased though

moedap
12-24-2007, 06:01 PM
how do we fix the oline next year? the draft?

Position themselves with whatever manuevers possible and draft the best OT in the draft. Move Mahan to guard. Bring Chuck O back to compete for center. He is a big boy which would stop those D's from blowing up the running plays with bull rushes from their nose tackles. Draft more in OL in later rounds and make them compete.

Rhee Rhee
12-24-2007, 08:45 PM
idk i somehow do not believe heath is athletic enough to be utilized as much as we wanted too.... for example spaeth runs a 4.7-4.8 heath runs the same.... now vernon davis runs a 4.4 and has 2% body fat... antonio gates runs a 4.5-4.6 and can jump so high his helmet hits the goal post (im kidding but that'd be kool)... witten isn't athletic either but a more ahtletic then heath

X-Terminator
12-25-2007, 06:20 PM

Hmmm, interesting. I figured his numbers sans Tuman would be sharply lower, but they really aren't. I still think he'd have better numbers if Tuman were healthy all season, particularly in the red zone, where we have suffered quite a bit over the past several weeks.

X-Terminator
12-25-2007, 06:23 PM
idk i somehow do not believe heath is athletic enough to be utilized as much as we wanted too.... for example spaeth runs a 4.7-4.8 heath runs the same.... now vernon davis runs a 4.4 and has 2% body fat... antonio gates runs a 4.5-4.6 and can jump so high his helmet hits the goal post (im kidding but that'd be kool)... witten isn't athletic either but a more ahtletic then heath

Heath may not be the athlete that Vernon Davis or Antonio Gates is, but that doesn't mean he can't be effective. He could be every bit as good as Witten or Dallas Clark if the Steelers used him in that capacity - he gets open and has the ability to get downfield like those guys do.

Rhee Rhee
12-25-2007, 06:41 PM
Heath may not be the athlete that Vernon Davis or Antonio Gates is, but that doesn't mean he can't be effective. He could be every bit as good as Witten or Dallas Clark if the Steelers used him in that capacity - he gets open and has the ability to get downfield like those guys do.

i realize that heath has the ability to find the "soft" spot in zone coverage but when it's man to man he may beat his man but as soon as the ball is in the air the defense can quickly recover and step infront of the pass