PDA

View Full Version : Anybody think Smith got the shaft??

Welcome To Smashmouth
12-24-2007, 02:36 PM
It seems like the steelers defenders that I'm pimping to the fullest, the ones that always play with an unmatchable passion, but just may open that mouth a little too frequently, get the shaft. Case #1 - Joey Porter. Lights-out LB, holder of a RARE 75th anniversary team at our deepest position of the franchise's history, gets let go without even an offer to decline! Unacceptable

Case #2 - Anthony Smith. Ok, so he shouldn't have guaranteed a win in a game that we once again could have played the underdog effect and knocked the high king off his horse....WE KNOW!!! But to play a maximum of two bad games (1.5 through my eyes) is NOT a suitable reason to put that kind of talent on the bench. I know fantasy football isn't a sole-reason to justify a point, but when hes getting me more points for the year than Ed Reed is while only starting a portion of the season....THATS SIGNIFICANT! I have faith in this team and I have faith in the organization, but this long string of questionable calls really has me scratching my head. Getting the best talent out on the field seems like one of the easier of choices they have to make....lets see it done!

OneForTheToe
12-24-2007, 02:54 PM
Porter wasn't shafted. The Steelers could have tried and trade him for a draft pick where he would have had to play for much less this season. Joey said that much upon his release. Furthermore, how is the guy doing who replaced Porter? I think James Harrison made the Pro Bowl, didn’t he? So I am not sure where you are going with that.

You are assuming that Anthony Smith is our best talent at safety. What proof is there of this? Smith didn't win the starting job in training camp. In fact, the only reason Smith was starting in the first place is because of an injury to another player. Honestly, I hope the kid makes it, but other than a handful of big hits (which seem to have captivated a portion of Steelers’s fans), what has he done to prove that he can be a starter in the NFL - let alone a star?

TapOut64
12-24-2007, 03:01 PM
Sorry, the guy got burnt two games in a row, Tomlin did the right thing. He's currently not worth the risk of giving up the long ball. He's young so hopefully he learns from it.

Welcome To Smashmouth
12-24-2007, 03:06 PM
Yeah, your right.....to have a player bring as much as Porter did not only on the field, making numerous pro bowls, but also being the largest force of locker room presense this team has ever had since i've been watching them, and then not even offer him a contract to TURN DOWN is completely fair. i watched the guy get out of his car in miami, have an interviewer walk up to him and start asking him questions, and joey simply stated "i just wanted a contract offered to me, i didn't even have anything to turn down if i wanted to". the guys heart is obviously in pittsburgh, and it was brutish of our organization to let such a presence go in a manner like that. wheres the tribue to all he's poured his heart and soul into these past 8 seasons?? it's not like he took a bullet in the ass for us or anything. i got nothin but love for the way harrisons been playing, but if your trying to tell me that haggans + harrison would have been more effective than porter + harrison i'd call you a fool. if joey porter were 45 and a bench player, his passion for the game on the sideline and in the locker room to spark flames within teamate's hearts would be reason enough to let his dream come true of retiring in black and gold

Preacher
12-24-2007, 03:13 PM
Joey Porter.

Was talking about holding out on his contract. He would have been a disruption to the team and the new coach at a time when that is the last thing they needed. Joey brought it on himself.

A. Smith.

I have, do, and will love the kid. I think he will actually instill fear in opposing wr''s for years to come just as he has done against Cincinnatti. However, he needs to mature in his decision making on the field. This is the BEST time to bench him. He is young, he will learn, and end up having a good career because of it.

Welcome To Smashmouth
12-24-2007, 03:16 PM
This is the BEST time to bench him. He is young, he will learn, and end up having a good career because of it.

100% behind this statement, IF benching him had to be an option. this is going to be nothing but fuel to this young man's fire, and with his already over-ferocious mentality on the field, i see if paying off in the long run. good thinkin, preach

OneForTheToe
12-24-2007, 03:21 PM
I luv Joey Porter (in a manly football sense). :wink02: But just because he was on the Steelers's 75 anniversary team doesn't mean at this point in his career that he is worth a 5 year 32 million dollar contract. Did you fall asleep in the seventies and just wakeup missing that we are in a Salary cap era? :wink02: You think the Steelers could afford to pay Joey 6+ million a year and still sign Troy, Ben and Aaron Smith (as they did early). As I said, I consider Joey a Steeler for life, but how has that big contract worked out for the Dolphins?

The fact is that Harrison has been better at Porter's position this season than Joey was last year or this year. Also, it is apparent to me that the Steelers drafted Haggans’ replacement this season in Woodley. This is how the Steelers roll; know when to let high price older players go because they are not worth the cap space and replace them with good draft picks and a few FA’s. No, it isn't always perfect (see letting Woodson go).

However, don't we have about the best record winning percentage in the NFL over the past 10 to 15 years?

rbryan
12-24-2007, 04:01 PM
Out of respect the FO didn't offer him 1/3 of what he eventially signed for with Miami. Steelers did him a huge favor to release him no strings attached. JP would have never taken the max we would have offered him. Thats just Joey being Joey in that interview. He made it very clear a year before he was released that he wanted huge money.

Welcome To Smashmouth
12-24-2007, 04:02 PM
So, not to get off topic here or anything but uh.....anybody think smith got the shaft??

HometownGal
12-24-2007, 04:56 PM
So, not to get off topic here or anything but uh.....anybody think smith got the shaft??

No, and I don't believe Porter did either, sorry Smashmouth. Peezy was beloved here in the Burgh but it didn't appear that he and the Rooneys were on the same page, so it was time for him to depart and get his big payday elsewhere which he did. James Harrison has filled in beautifully in his stead.

As for Anthony - I love his aggressiveness, but he needs to channel it a little better. I believe he will learn from the vets on the team when to hold 'em and when to fold 'em but it's going to take a little time. As long as Cowher and Lebeau continue to have patience with him, I believe this kid is a diamond in the rough. :thumbsup:

Dino 6 Rings
12-24-2007, 05:07 PM
Joey P was going to hold out in 06, but Cowher called him and told him to get his arse to camp, so he did. The chances of him holding out with a new head coach were 100%. Instead of dealing with that, the Rooney's decided to let him go and make his huge pay day on the free agent market and allowed Tomlin to not have to have that headache from day one.

Anthony Smith will improve his game. He plays a lot like Troy, very aggressive, and its easy to see how playing over agressively can get you burnt. He needs to understand his role as deep safety first, then worry about the run. It'll come in time.

Preacher
12-24-2007, 05:35 PM
Anthony Smith will improve his game. He plays a lot like Troy, very aggressive, and its easy to see how playing over agressively can get you burnt. He needs to understand his role as deep safety first, then worry about the run. It'll come in time.

Absolutely.

And with Tomlin back there to help out, I think he can turn A.Smith into an EXCELLENT FS.

stillers4me
12-24-2007, 05:36 PM
Absolutely.

And with Tomlin back there to help out, I think he can turn A.Smith into an EXCELLENT FS.

And if not....... :wave:

Preacher
12-24-2007, 05:52 PM
And if not....... :wave:

Why? He is still better then half the FS out there.

RoethlisBURGHer
12-24-2007, 06:21 PM
Joey Porter: Shafting him would have been trading him somewhere he didn't want to go. He wasn't going to accept anything the Rooneys were gonna offer, and he was going to hold out if not released or given a new contract. So they released him and let him sign with whoever he wanted.

Anthony Smith: Burned deep three times in two games, never learned from his mistake the first or second time. So he got benched. It happens when you cannot do your job. If he can learn to play the game in the roll they want him to play, then he will become a starter on this team. He didn't win the starting game in TC, he was only playing because we had to put Clark on IR.

Steeldude
12-24-2007, 06:51 PM
It seems like the steelers defenders that I'm pimping to the fullest, the ones that always play with an unmatchable passion, but just may open that mouth a little too frequently, get the shaft. Case #1 - Joey Porter. Lights-out LB, holder of a RARE 75th anniversary team at our deepest position of the franchise's history, gets let go without even an offer to decline! Unacceptable

Case #2 - Anthony Smith. Ok, so he shouldn't have guaranteed a win in a game that we once again could have played the underdog effect and knocked the high king off his horse....WE KNOW!!! But to play a maximum of two bad games (1.5 through my eyes) is NOT a suitable reason to put that kind of talent on the bench. I know fantasy football isn't a sole-reason to justify a point, but when hes getting me more points for the year than Ed Reed is while only starting a portion of the season....THATS SIGNIFICANT! I have faith in this team and I have faith in the organization, but this long string of questionable calls really has me scratching my head. Getting the best talent out on the field seems like one of the easier of choices they have to make....lets see it done!

porter sucked for the last 2 to 3 seasons. a very overrated LB. just another version of gildon, but with a big mouth. porter's passion was during pre-game warmups. when the game started he often disappeared. the porter i am referring to is the one from about 2004 and on. harrison is a HUGE upgrade. IMO, he should have been inserted awhile ago

smith played more than two bad games. he played poorly in the jets' and bengals' games also. the guy isn't ready to be a starter yet. smith has more missed tackles than big hits. i can't say that i have officially counted them, but it appears that way to me:smile:

moedap
12-24-2007, 07:16 PM
I agee with the comment about Tomlin knowing what he is doing benching Smith. I believe he gave Smith the rope and smith hung himself with it. It didnt hurt Smith b/c I saw him play well when he was in against the Rams. I think it also sent messages to others. Ike hardly celebrated after his pick 6.

The Duke
12-24-2007, 07:46 PM
I'll just try to stay positive about smith. as you may know he is actually one of my favorite players on the team, so I'll cheer for him every time he makes a play and scream at the tv every time he makes a bone head decision.

but that's all I can do, right now it's up to him to step up his game and avoid getting over his head ad do something drastic like against the pats

stillers4me
12-24-2007, 07:58 PM
Why? He is still better then half the FS out there.

I agree....he can be. But he hasn't shown that lately and when you add that on top of the Patriot fiasco, I think Tomlin is losing patience with him. Me thinks he'll be on a short rope and if he hangs himelf again, Tomlin will let him go.

rbryan
12-24-2007, 08:13 PM
Smith played plenty against the Rams so its not like he's sitting on the bench. Taking away his starters role was a good move IMO and will make him a better player in the long run.

Rhee Rhee
12-24-2007, 09:42 PM
i think smith is just a little to full of himself... i mean if you have mean talent then give your mouth a workout... but if ryan clark beat u out in training camp... shut your pie-hole... just sayin..

Preacher
12-24-2007, 09:44 PM
Smith played plenty against the Rams so its not like he's sitting on the bench. Taking away his starters role was a good move IMO and will make him a better player in the long run.

Exactly.

SteelSurf
12-25-2007, 02:27 AM
I've been a Steeler fan for a long time, in that time I an honestly say the Steelers have been void of big mouthed showboating players( The exceptions,oddly enough are Porter and Smith). To me, The Steelers have always represented a solid smashmouth football team without the flash of publicity,crime logs,drug dealing etc of other teams players. I think it's the Rooney way....The Steeler way. I like that about us.

Galax Steeler
12-25-2007, 06:23 AM
I don't think smith or porter got the shaft smith is still in learning the system and when he does he will be hell on wheels.
Porter was getting to that age in his carrer and it was going to take alot of money to keep him that is why we went after young talent in the draft.

Lord Stiller
12-25-2007, 10:31 AM
I think benching Smith was the best move Tomlin has made thus far

Smith didnt get benched for running his mouth, he got benched for not staying deep and getting burned.

I think our D is missing Ryan Clark a whole lot

LVSteelersfan
12-25-2007, 12:53 PM
We cannot have a poor decision maker back there when Troy is playing all over the field like he does. Biting on play action when the Pats DON'T RUN THE BALL IS DOWNRIGHT STUPID. He needs to get his head in the game. We will not beat the Colts or the Pats with that kind of lack of protection back there. I love the way he hits, but his demeanor on the field is not right because he borders on taunting on every play he makes. Benching will do him good hopefully because we do need him some time down the road.

4xSBChamps
12-25-2007, 03:10 PM
I've been a Steeler fan for a long time, in that time I an honestly say the Steelers have been void of big mouthed showboating players( The exceptions,oddly enough are Porter and Smith).

To me, The Steelers have always represented a solid smashmouth football team without the flash of publicity, crime logs, drug dealing etc of other teams players. I think it's the Rooney way....The Steeler way. I like that about us.

[Richard Dawson]

"..... survey-says.....

http://www.tvparty.com/bgifs16/richarddawson.jpg

:jammin: :jammin: :jammin: :jammin: :jammin:

NUMBER-ONE ANSWER on the board, Darlin' !!!!!"

[/Richard Dawson]

Rhee Rhee
12-25-2007, 07:44 PM
i think smith just needs to take a step back and look at the mistakes he's made... hopefully he wont be burned again and won't bite so hard on play-actions... if anything he'd make a decent backup to troy at SS...