PDA

View Full Version : Steelers will go for No. 3 seed

stillers4me
12-25-2007, 09:41 AM
Steelers will go for No. 3 seed
Tuesday, December 25, 2007
By BOB LABRIOLA
Steelers.com

At 4:04 p.m. last Sunday, when Derek Anderson?s last-gasp pass for Kellen Winslow bounced off the floor of Paul Brown Stadium, the Steelers clinched the AFC North Division, their first since 2004. That earned them a spot in the postseason tournament, and their first playoff game will be on the weekend of Jan. 5-6, which will be played at Heinz Field.

The Steelers? opponent that weekend is not known, and so while others will nestle all snug in their beds tonight with visions of sugar plums dancing in their heads, Coach Mike Tomlin will be dreaming of ways to beat the Baltimore Ravens in the hope of securing the No. 3 seed in the AFC.

?If we have an opportunity to get the No. 3 seed, we are going to do that,? said Tomlin. ?It?s significant between No. 3 and No. 4, in saying that if you win your first game then you automatically know where you go (for the next round). So there is definitely at least some significance there. We?re competitors. That?s what we do. We try to win football games, so that is our mentality.?

If the Steelers are the No. 3 seed in the AFC, they would host the No. 6 seed, which would be Tennessee if the Titans defeat Indianapolis next Sunday night and it would be the Browns if the Titans lose. Winning that game would automatically send the Steelers to Indianapolis to play the No. 2-seeded Colts.

If the Steelers are the No. 4 seed in the AFC, they would host the Jaguars in a rematch of their Dec. 16 game, and then if they were able to defeat a Jacksonville team that handled them, 29-22, in the regular season, the Steelers? opponent for the next round would be determined by the outcome of the other AFC Wild Card game. If San Diego won that other Wild Card game, the Steelers would go to New England; if Tennessee-Cleveland defeated the Chargers, the Steelers would go to Indianapolis.

So, there is a bit more certainty in finishing as the No. 3 seed in the AFC playoffs, and the only way the Steelers can finish in that spot is if they end the regular season with a better record than the Chargers. If the two teams are tied, either at 10-6 or at 11-5, the Chargers are the No. 3 seed.

The Chargers hosted the Denver Broncos on Monday Night Football, and then they complete their regular season with a game against the Raiders in Oakland. The Steelers conclude with a trip to Baltimore.

?I know the Ravens have fallen on some tough times, but you can throw records out the window when we play Baltimore,? said Tomlin. ?They are going to play to win, we are going to play to win. They still have some very good people playing for them.?

The Ravens have lost a franchise record nine games in a row, and accounts of their loss to the Seahawks in Seattle painted a picture of a team going through the motions. But anybody who believes the Ravens will sleep-walk through a game with the Steelers ? despite its insignificance to them in terms of the standings ? is dreaming.

It would have been nice for Tomlin to be able to rest some of his front-line players instead of playing them in a finale that?s certain to be physical and could end up being just six days before their playoff opener, but that?s not the way it worked out.

During his news conference on Monday, Tomlin listed eight players on a preliminary injury report, not including Willie Parker who was placed on the injured reserve list, but all of them might have to play for the Steelers to have a chance to secure that No. 3 seed in the playoffs.

?We just have to get ready to go and do what it is that we do,? said Tomlin. ?We gave the guys some time off, some much-needed time. They will come in here on Dec. 26, and we will focus on the Ravens and we?ll get ready to go to Baltimore and play those guys. I?m sure the Ravens were hopeful that the division would be riding on this game, but it is not. But it will still be a hotly fought battle, regardless.

http://news.steelers.com/article/86425/

Merry Christmas, Steeler fans.....we've got ourselves a coach on a mission!
:cheers:

Lord Stiller
12-25-2007, 10:22 AM
Big deal

If we cant beat BAltimore, we dont deserve to be in the playoffs

Newzfoxjr
12-25-2007, 10:23 AM
Cool. I don't think it should take much to beat the Ravens so we could probably thump them pretty easily and hobble into the playoffs with enough strength to make a good run. 2007 is a good year as long as we win the first playoff game, anything after that is just bonus.

desertsteel
12-25-2007, 12:50 PM
We don't control our destiny. San Diego likely wins and clinches the 3 spot. Still want to win and finish 11-5. Rest the injuries... that's all

Rhee Rhee
12-25-2007, 10:26 PM
san diego started like 1-4 or 1-3... we started the opposite at 3-1... i still cant fathom how we blew it.... started super hot with all the momentum at 3-1 and fizzled at the end.... not a good way to go into the playoffs...

Steeler in Carolina
12-25-2007, 11:07 PM
SD will probably beat Oakland, so I would give Ben some much needed rest.

PalmerSteel
12-26-2007, 12:12 AM
give our guys some rest by halftime. we will need it. you know the chargers are gonna beat the raiders. our road will be the toughest to take starting with a VERY good jags team in round 1 that beat on us pretty good just a couple weeks ago then off to new england if we survive round 1. we need all the rest we can get.

RoethlisBURGHer
12-26-2007, 01:08 AM
Batch can beat Baltimore.

WV-SteelerFan
12-26-2007, 03:48 AM
"...accounts of their loss to the Seahawks in Seattle painted a picture of a team going through the motions..."

I think people said the same thing (sort of) about the Bengals before they played the Browns & look how that turned out...:wink02:

"...but you can (for the most part) throw records out the window when we play Baltimore..." <- yep!

Dino 6 Rings
12-26-2007, 08:55 AM
Ravens have given up on the season as an organization. This game Sunday doesn't mean that much to them, they don't have a chance of knocking us out of the playoffs, they aren't going to actually try to hurt our guys, not if they have any sense of professionalism about them. Once we get up, by 10 or more in this game, hopefully early on, they will lay down. The running game will be used to eat clock, they will play Troy Smith to get him some reps, try to throw some deep balls, but really, their hearts won't be in it. As long as we can get up by 10, or the magic number 11, by halftime, this game should be, and I stress, "should" be a much easier game for us to handle if we show up and play hard early.

warddj86
12-26-2007, 11:05 AM
damn broncos made me look stupid by picking them, they were awful

stillers4me
12-26-2007, 12:31 PM
damn broncos made me look stupid by picking them, they were awful

Cutler just looked...........puny. :wink02: