PDA

View Full Version : Harrison named Steelers MVP

83-Steelers-43
12-26-2007, 04:02 PM
Harrison named Steelers MVP
By Scott Brown
TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Wednesday, December 26, 2007

Linebacker James Harrison, a first-year starter who replaced the departed Joey Porter this season, has been named the Steelers most valuable player. Voting was conducted in a ballot of the team’s players.

Harrison recently was named a starting outside linebacker on the AFC Pro Bowl team. Through 15 games, Harrison leads the Steelers with 8.5 sacks and six forced fumbles. He also has 73 tackles, 61 solo, and one interception and two fumble recoveries. He also is tied for second on the team in special teams tackles, with 12.

Harrison was named AFC defensive player of the month for November. He had his best game of the season Nov. 5 in the Steelers’ victory over the Baltimore Ravens. Harrison had nine tackles, 3.5 sacks, one interception, three forced fumbles and one recovered fumble.

Harrison is the first linebacker since James Farrior in 2004 to be selected as the Steelers’ MVP. It is the 14th time a linebacker has won the award.

Running back Willie Parker was the 2006 recipient.

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/s_544548.html

xXTheSteelKingsXx
12-26-2007, 04:06 PM
Congrats to James. He has had a great year replacing Peezy.

tony hipchest
12-26-2007, 04:06 PM
a case could be made for willie again, and especially ben, but i doubt there would be any single person in the steelers org who would consider this a slight. harrison deserves this recognition and has definitely earned it.

great job to him and the teammates who gave him this honor.

stillers4me
12-26-2007, 04:08 PM
You beat me to it!! While I personally think Ben is the MVP, it needs to be noted that Harrison was selected by his own teammates for the honor. Congrats James......may you long be a Steeler!!

Here is the story from the official Steelers site......

http://news.steelers.com/article/86430/

Harrison Selected Steelers’ 2007 Most Valuable Player

PITTSBURGH — Steelers linebacker James Harrison was recognized for his outstanding play this season by his teammates who voted him the Steelers’ 2007 Most Valuable Player.

Harrison, a first-year starter, was named a starting outside linebacker on AFC’s 2008 Pro Bowl squad for his outstanding play during the regular season. Through 15 games, Harrison leads all Steelers with 8.5 sacks and six forced fumbles. He has registered 73 tackles (61 solo), one interception and two recovered fumbles. Harrison is also tied for second on the Steelers with 12 special teams tackles (nine solo).

Harrison was named AFC Defensive Player of the Month of November. He put an exclamation point on his season in Week 9 (Nov. 5) when the Steelers hosted the Baltimore Ravens on Monday Night Football, by recording nine tackles (eight solo), 3.5 sacks, one interception, three forced fumbles and one recovered fumble. Harrison became the first player since 1982 (when the NFL recognized sacks as an official statistic) to record 3.5 sacks, a fumble recovery and an interception in one game. He was named AFC Defensive Player of the Week for his performance.

Harrison is the first Steelers linebacker since James Farrior (2004) to be selected by his teammates as the club’s most valuable player. His selection represents the 14th time a linebacker has been selected Steelers MVP since 1969. During that time, 10 different linebackers received the honor, including three players ― Jack Lambert (1976, ’81), Greg Lloyd (’91, ’94) and Levon Kirkland (’98, ’99) ― who were each selected twice.

83-Steelers-43
12-26-2007, 04:18 PM
Congrats to James. He has had a great year replacing Peezy.

Second that completely. He definately deserved it. The game he had against Baltimore alone made him deserving.

The Duke
12-26-2007, 04:19 PM
I thought it was gonna be Ben, but whoever it is they did a great job. congrats silverback!

Steeldude
12-26-2007, 04:27 PM
not a surprise at all. i have been saying for quite a long time that he should replace either porter or foote. many said i was crazy and that harrison would be nothing more than an average backup LB.

now we need timmons and woodley to step up or the steelers coaching staff to allow them to step up.

alittlejazzbird
12-26-2007, 04:37 PM
Great for James, and congrats to him, but I think Ben deserved it more.

Preacher
12-26-2007, 04:45 PM
I was a little surprised that it wasn't Ben or Willie again, especially Ben with the year he had.

However, Harrison did an excellent job this year on D... so he is also very deserving. good for him.

ShutDown24
12-26-2007, 04:47 PM
I think Ben deserved it more but congrats to James Harrison.

steelergirl07
12-26-2007, 04:54 PM
I thought Ben deserved it more. But Harrison deserves any recognition he recieves. Congrats Silverback and all the Steelers for a great season!

Steeldude
12-26-2007, 05:11 PM
BR probably deserved it more. i think the team gave it to harrison because BR has had his fair share of praise over the years. this being harrison's first year starting is another reason i think they handed it to him. well other than playing outstanding defense all year.

Dino 6 Rings
12-26-2007, 05:40 PM
Great Job Silverback. I bet he got it because he had to fill a void that was left open and Ben just had to go back to his great form from 2005.

Preacher
12-26-2007, 05:54 PM
BR probably deserved it more. i think the team gave it to harrison because BR has had his fair share of praise over the years. this being harrison's first year starting is another reason i think they handed it to him. well other than playing outstanding defense all year.

I think also... if you take Ben away and put in another average QB... you still would have had a great running back to share the load.

However, take a away Harrison, and just what really does happen to that defense?

Maybe that is the standard... however, It would be hard to argue that Harrison is more important to the defense then Ben is to the offense.

So there may be some truth to your point... it was his first year and he stepped up real strong.

shutdown
12-26-2007, 06:54 PM
I think also... if you take Ben away and put in another average QB... you still would have had a great running back to share the load.

However, take a away Harrison, and just what really does happen to that defense?

Maybe that is the standard... however, It would be hard to argue that Harrison is more important to the defense then Ben is to the offense.

So there may be some truth to your point... it was his first year and he stepped up real strong.

I disagree. You take Ben away and you have more than 43 sacks and less production on that offense. Ben made miracles behind this horrible thing we call an offensive line. Willie was even having troubles behind it and the only reason he was the league's leading rusher up until his injury was because he had over 100 more attempts than number 2.

All Harrison proved was that its more of the system than it is the player. Nothing to discredit what he's done because he did make some great plays this year, but there has been a trend that has continued for sometime now.

83-Steelers-43
12-26-2007, 07:17 PM
I'm curious to know why Ben's teammates did not vote him in. I have my own speculation, but how I would like to be a fly on the wall at times.

stillers4me
12-26-2007, 07:22 PM
I'm curious to know why Ben's teammates did not vote him in. I have my own speculation, but how I would like to be a fly on the wall at times.

Maybe Harrison is more vocal in the locker room that we imagine him to be.

83-Steelers-43
12-26-2007, 07:26 PM
Maybe Harrison is more vocal in the locker room that we imagine him to be.

Maybe. Listening to Savern on Sports Beat this very second and many Roethlisberger fans are calling in and having fits over this issue. One caller asked if there are some ill feelings between Ben and his teammates. Savern responded by saying that he does not believe that is the case this season, but in years past that case could be made. He went on to state he's not sure if Roethlisberger handled the fame well after going 15-1 and then XL. He's really not telling me anything I did not already expect or know, but I do have to ask myself if the years past do have an effect on the teams choice this season.

Granted, Savern is not the excellent coverage we receive from the likes of ESPN and SI, but I'll take his word over anybody outside of this city when it comes to Pittsburgh Sports. BTW, he felt Roethlisberger should have received the MVP.

tony hipchest
12-26-2007, 07:39 PM
Granted, Savern is not the excellent coverage we receive from the likes of ESPN and SI, but I'll take his word over anybody outside of this city when it comes to Pittsburgh Sports. BTW, he felt Roethlisberger should have received the MVP.

i see it as more of a "passing of the torch" type of deal, kinda like the new family welcoming james into the flock.

im willing to bet the voting was close and many offensive players picked james and many defensive players picked ben.

but if theres dissention in the locker room and players still hate ben i can only assume that there are players who hate tomlin and still resent the coaching change.

im not reading too much into the whole MVP deal other than the steelers take care of their own and give respect, when respect is due.

i think its more of a collective effort to honor james, than a overt opportunity to slight ben and his historic contributions this year.

83-Steelers-43
12-26-2007, 07:48 PM
and players still hate ben

I wouldn't go as far as calling it "hate", but maybe trying to bring him down a few levels? A head deflation so to speak. While I doubt you will see Roethlisberger and Holmes screaming at each on the sidelines any time soon or anything coming out of that locker room (Rooney's have it locked down like Fort Knox), from what I've heard over the years I would not be shocked to find out that there is in fact some ill feelings.

Eighty-four more published police dog stories and all will be good.....:wink02:.

Eh, I better stop with the Roethlisberger speculation for obvious reasons. Just brought it up because Savern was talking about it as I was reading this thread. Anyways, congratulations to Harrison. Stepped in beautifully.

GBMelBlount
12-26-2007, 08:32 PM
I am very happy for Harrison. He has far exceeded expectations and has played his heart out IMO. The fact that he was voted MVP by his teammates really says alot to me. They are with him in the trenches and in the locker room on a daily basis. Perhaps they are factoring some things into their MVP vote that can't be measured statistically. Congrats to Harrison!

rpv
12-26-2007, 08:46 PM
I think Ben should have got it. I dont think the team would be where they are today if not for Ben. He saved the team in a lot of tough situations with his play. I dont know why the teammates voted for Harrison. Bens numbers in every category is up there with the big boys(Brady and Manning). Infact i think that Ben should be considered for the comeback player of the yr in the NFL. I hope that this is not a concerning development as far as team chemistry goes.

What do u guys think of Madden on his show insinuating that the vote was racial?

I think it was stupid since voting along racial lines could have got Willie the MVP.

Physical Presence
12-27-2007, 12:47 AM

You're kidding right? ESPN blows. They come out with erroneous reports all the time in hopes of getting the scoop on others. SI is probably a little better but not much.

Savran and the folks at Fox Sports Pittsburgh do a great job in comparison to the national media. I don't even live in the Burgh, I'm on the west coast and I watch Savran on Sportsbeat every single day because I know if there is a story, FSN Pittsburgh will have it and get it right.

Galax Steeler
12-27-2007, 04:45 AM
I would say ben also but congratilaitons to harrison.

Steel Pit
12-27-2007, 05:12 AM
not a surprise at all. i have been saying for quite a long time that he should replace either porter or foote. many said i was crazy and that harrison would be nothing more than an average backup LB.

now we need timmons and woodley to step up or the steelers coaching staff to allow them to step up.

My thoughts exactly dude. There were quite a few Steelers back-ups that I thought were sitting on the bench far too long. This is why I never understood all of the negativity towards the Porter release. Why spend all of that cap money on Porter when we had a guy sitting the bench that was far and away better than Porter.

RJC
12-27-2007, 08:24 AM
Harrison? As MVP??? Are they serious with this? Hey, he had a good year, but nowhere the impact year that Ben had. Not even close. As a matter of fact, his 8.5 sacks is blatantly average. When you factor in that 3.5 of them came in one single game, and that he had 5 over the other 14 games it's almost pathetic. If he had 15-17 sacks, and the QB didn't throw 30+ TDs this season, then, maybe, but he didn't get that many sacks, and Ben did throw that many TDs. It's a joke, and I hate to say it, but it wreaks of the black players voting for the black players. Sad, really sad.....

http://www.timesonline.com/articles/2007/12/27/sports/steelers/doc477334cb35338368087346.txt

HometownGal
12-27-2007, 08:49 AM
Personally, I think Ben and Harrison were equally as valuable to the team this season and thus, would have given them both co-MVP honors. :cheers: Anywho - congrats to Silverback!

The_WARDen
12-27-2007, 01:57 PM
Harrison? As MVP??? Are they serious with this? Hey, he had a good year, but nowhere the impact year that Ben had. Not even close. As a matter of fact, his 8.5 sacks is blatantly average. When you factor in that 3.5 of them came in one single game, and that he had 5 over the other 14 games it's almost pathetic. If he had 15-17 sacks, and the QB didn't throw 30+ TDs this season, then, maybe, but he didn't get that many sacks, and Ben did throw that many TDs. It's a joke, and I hate to say it, but it wreaks of the black players voting for the black players. Sad, really sad.....

http://www.timesonline.com/articles/2007/12/27/sports/steelers/doc477334cb35338368087346.txt

I agree...remove Harrison from the team and remove Ben, which loss has the bigger impact, I don't think anyone would say Harrison.

Big D
12-27-2007, 01:58 PM
does this bring any indication that ben may not be popular in the locker room. considering the year ben had you think he would be a lock

Counselor
12-27-2007, 02:08 PM
does this bring any indication that ben may not be popular in the locker room. considering the year ben had you think he would be a lock

Yeah, thats what popped into my head when I heard as well. I think its a shame. I think Harrison had a great year, but not as amazing as Ben's. I'm not in the lockerroom so I don't know, but I really hope it was at least a close vote.

Steelerstrength
12-27-2007, 02:28 PM

To invoke the race card, from an extremely removed perspective, is tainted speculation at best. In this case, the mindset of the source, outside of football, seems to be something to consider, in regards to the motive for writing such a post. Keep it about fotball!

Silverback deserved his award for many reasons. Here are a few things to consider:
1. In the 3 4 D, he is expected to drop into coverage, thus minimizing his sack opportunities.
2. 8.5 Sacks is 20th in the NFL. That is 6th for OLB's in the league.
3. 7 forced fumbles on D (not including S Teams) is #1 in the league.
4. 3 fumble recoveries is tied for 2nd in the league.
5. #1 on the team in tackles, with 91. No other OLB on our team makes the top 189 in the league. Conversely, Haggans, our other OLB, has 55 tackles, at 190 in the league.
6. All this is done as a first year starter!

That said, Ben is completely awesome, and has kept us from losing numerous games this season. I could just see Ben lobbying for Silverback to win the award. It is very difficult to call this one, but that doesn't mean Silverback did not deserve the MVP award.

cubanstogie
12-27-2007, 02:40 PM
MVP means different things to different people. I personally relate it to on the field performance only, due to the fact that I am not in the locker room or on the practice field. I don't see how anyone can dispute Ben as the piece of the puzzle that is the most important. Harrison can be replaced easier than Ben. Ben is the most vital and has had a great year. If Brady had his average year, Ben would have been mentioned as league MVP IMHO. His worst games have been mediocre, not horrible like most other QB's have suffered this year. Harrison has been phenominal as well, and must be inspirational as well as being a great teammate if he was voted this award. Hard to dispute it when the team votes, they are with each other day in and day out. I could see a case being made for either, but to me its an easy choice to go with Ben.

Steelerstrength
12-27-2007, 02:49 PM
MVP means different things to different people. I personally relate it to on the field performance only, due to the fact that I am not in the locker room or on the practice field. I don't see how anyone can dispute Ben as the piece of the puzzle that is the most important. Harrison can be replaced easier than Ben. Ben is the most vital and has had a great year. If Brady had his average year, Ben would have been mentioned as league MVP IMHO. His worst games have been mediocre, not horrible like most other QB's have suffered this year. Harrison has been phenominal as well, and must be inspirational as well as being a great teammate if he was voted this award. Hard to dispute it when the team votes, they are with each other day in and day out. I could see a case being made for either, but to me its an easy choice to go with Ben.

Even after writing my initial post on this subject, I have to agree with you. My personal opinion is that Ben deserves the MVP. A good case is made for Silverback, but Ben gets the nod.

sherlock
12-27-2007, 03:19 PM
It seems alot of you guys feel Ben should be MVP.....which made me wonder,do the fans vote for a "player of the season" as they do in soccer in the U.K. at the end of each season?

HometownGal
12-27-2007, 03:33 PM
It seems alot of you guys feel Ben should be MVP.....which made me wonder,do the fans vote for a "player of the season" as they do in soccer in the U.K. at the end of each season?

No - not that I am aware of.

It really doesn't matter what we think, unfortunately - the team MVP is chosen by the players and they chose Silverback over Ben. There have been co-MVPs selected by the team in the past and as I've said earlier in this thread, I feel Ben and James should share that honor, as both were instrumental in the Steelers success this season.

83-Steelers-43
12-27-2007, 04:13 PM
You're kidding right? ESPN blows. They come out with erroneous reports all the time in hopes of getting the scoop on others. SI is probably a little better but not much.

Savran and the folks at Fox Sports Pittsburgh do a great job in comparison to the national media. I don't even live in the Burgh, I'm on the west coast and I watch Savran on Sportsbeat every single day because I know if there is a story, FSN Pittsburgh will have it and get it right.

I was being sarcastic.....:cheers:

Big Savern fan here. My only use for ESPN is for scores or if there is a game on.

iloveben7
12-27-2007, 06:48 PM
I agree with the majority that Ben should have been MVP, but Harrison also has had a great year. I think there should've been co-MVPs with Ben and James sharing the honor. I don't think it was a racial vote or the players feeling hate towards Ben as others have stated. Harrison just recieved the most votes fairly. I agree with Hines that the Steelers have numerous MVPs, they were just forced to pick one. Harrison voted for Ben, and I'm 100% sure that Ben voted for Harrison.

Congrats to James Harrison on a spectacular season.

revefsreleets
12-27-2007, 07:28 PM
No - not that I am aware of.

It really doesn't matter what we think, unfortunately - the team MVP is chosen by the players and they chose Silverback over Ben. There have been co-MVPs selected by the team in the past and as I've said earlier in this thread, I feel Ben and James should share that honor, as both were instrumental in the Steelers success this season.

You are just another one of those myopic homers, just going along with whatever the actual players who play the game, you know, the guys who know best, have to say.

Don't you know that MB posters are the guys who actually know what plays to run? What schemes to call? Who the actual team-voted MVP should be?

Silly girl!

stillers4me
12-27-2007, 08:15 PM
My thinking is that the defense united and voted for one of their own (James) and the offense was split between Ben and Willie. Since James said he voted for Ben, Ben most likely voted for either James or Willie. Whew.........now I'm confused.

As the great Chuck Noll once said, before you can win a game, you have to not lose it. (which means D-fence!) Thanks for doing your part, James! :tt02:

Rhee Rhee
12-28-2007, 01:34 AM
i wanted ben for MVP... but anycase too many choices this year... either way would be a great MVP

Scott La Rock
12-28-2007, 11:23 AM
I think Ben should've got it.

But I don't play for the Steelers. Like someone said -this says something about his leadership ! And how his teammates view him!
Could be a problem!

Strength
Scott

The_WARDen
12-28-2007, 03:39 PM
I think Ben should've got it.

But I don't play for the Steelers. Like someone said -this says something about his leadership ! And how his teammates view him!
Could be a problem!

Strength
Scott

So, maybe the Oline isn't as putrid as we think...maybe they just don't like Ben very much.

:jawdrop:

pittsburghgirl8786
12-28-2007, 07:03 PM
First off, congrats to Harrison. He really did have a great year
Now, for all of you who are saying ben deserves it...
Yes, Ben contributes an extreme amount to the team. Being a quarterback, well let's hope you contribute something. We wouldn't be the team we are without him. But when we go to position, Ben is not among the elite quarterbacks in the league. He does a good job, but there are things to be improved on. Harrison, is one of the better linebackers. He does what is expected of linebackers, and more. In the Baltimore game he went above expectations. You could make cases for half the guys on the team, but if his teammates voted Harrison MVP, then he's our MVP. Congrats again to Harrison, I think he deserved it.

cubanstogie
12-28-2007, 08:25 PM
First off, congrats to Harrison. He really did have a great year
Now, for all of you who are saying ben deserves it...
Yes, Ben contributes an extreme amount to the team. Being a quarterback, well let's hope you contribute something. We wouldn't be the team we are without him. But when we go to position, Ben is not among the elite quarterbacks in the league. He does a good job, but there are things to be improved on. Harrison, is one of the better linebackers. He does what is expected of linebackers, and more. In the Baltimore game he went above expectations. You could make cases for half the guys on the team, but if his teammates voted Harrison MVP, then he's our MVP. Congrats again to Harrison, I think he deserved it.

Are you kidding me. Ben is in the top 5 QB's in the league, arguably 3rd by some. Myself included. You can make a case for Harrison, and like I posted earlier the players voted so that says alot. But saying Ben isn't elite is ignorant in my opinion. Ben is a play maker, he doesn't have the flare the Favre has and won't put up the numbers but has but he is just as valuable without as many mistakes. Plain and simple our O-line is pathetic, without his scrambling ability we would be 8-8. I don't think Brady or Manning would have had as good years as Ben playing with our line. Take away Harrison some games would have been closer, but maybe not lost. Take away Ben and we would be under .500. That tells me Ben is the MVP.

fansince'76
12-28-2007, 08:36 PM
....Ben is not among the elite quarterbacks in the league. He does a good job, but there are things to be improved on.

Yeah, you're right. Through 15 games this season, he is only 2nd in the league in QB rating, 3rd in the league in TD passes, 4th in the league in average yards gained per attempt, and 6th in the league in completion percentage, despite getting clobbered on a weekly basis behind an OL that would have a hard time pass blocking a ladies' senior citizen powder puff team. :rolleyes: Without Ben, this team would probably be sitting at about 4-11 right now.

iloveben7
12-29-2007, 02:26 PM
Yeah, you're right. Through 15 games this season, he is only 2nd in the league in QB rating, 3rd in the league in TD passes, 4th in the league in average yards gained per attempt, and 6th in the league in completion percentage, despite getting clobbered on a weekly basis behind an OL that would have a hard time pass blocking a ladies' senior citizen powder puff team. :rolleyes: Without Ben, this team would probably be sitting at about 4-11 right now.

You took the words out of my mouth. How can people say Ben is not elite? Just look at the stats. One of my relatives was trying to tell me that Derek Anderson was better than Ben this season. I said are you blind.

Ben is definately an elite QB (I'm not just saying this because he's my favorite)-just look at the stats.

83-Steelers-43
12-29-2007, 04:20 PM
Steelers point/counterpoint: Harrison is MVP
By Scott Brown and John Harris
TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Saturday, December 29, 2007

Steelers columnist John Harris and beat writer Scott Brown trade insight and the occasional insult as they discuss all things Steelers. This week: The Steelers select an MVP.

Brown: John, I thought we'd be discussing how much, if it all, Ben Roethlisberger should play Sunday against the Ravens since the Steelers have already clinched the AFC North title.

Then his teammates voted James Harrison, not Roethlisberger, as the Steelers' MVP this season. Look, Harrison is having a very good season but the one Roethlisberger is having warrants MVP consideration and I'm talking about in the National Football League!

What should we read into this perceived snub of Roethlisberger? Is there that much of a disconnect between the franchise quarterback and his Steelers' teammates?

Harris: There are two sides to this story: the public's side and the players' side. The public (media) believes Ben is the Steelers MVP, hands-down, because the quarterback is universally acknowledged as the team leader. Ben has already set the franchise single-season record for touchdown passes and there's still one game remaining. He has increased his passer rating and cut his interceptions in half from last season. He was voted to the Pro Bowl for the first time. Obviously, Ben's teammates -- the people he works with every day -- see things differently. They know his strengths and weaknesses, how he interacts with players on both side of the ball. The fact that Ben's teammates selected Harrison -- an undrafted, first-year starter who pulled himself up by his bootstraps just to make the roster -- speaks volumes as to how Ben is perceived in his own locker room. Just because the media considers Ben to be a league MVP candidate doesn't mean his teammates consider him to be their MVP.

Brown: With all due respect to Harrison, whose mere stare has enough force to stop a moving train, ask yourself this: Where would the Steelers be without Roethlisberger and where would they be without Harrison?

Harrison, I agree, is a great story but the doesn't make him the MVP of the Steelers. Roethlisberger is clearly that as well as the team's best player, and, yes, there is a difference between the two.

He has carried the offense, and his ability to improvise and make plays when everything has broken down around him has made him the best quarterback in 2007 this side of Tom Brady.

He is also the reason why the Steelers have any hope of going deep into the playoffs. Can the same thing be said about Harrison, who doesn't even have a sack in December?

Harris: The Steelers will go as far as their defense takes them. I've been writing about it all year, and I'll continue to do so. The Steelers invest most of their big money on the defensive side of the ball. The Steelers' defense is still ranked No. 1 in the league -- No. 3 against the run, No. 3 against the pass. The Steelers' offense is ranked No. 17 -- No. 3 in the run, No. 25 in the pass. Ben plays offense, Harrison plays defense. When you look at it that way, Harrison being voted team MVP doesn't seem so crazy. Clearly, the Steelers don't value Ben the way the Patriots respect Brady. I can't tell you why. You'll have to ask Ben's teammates.

Brown: What does the fact that the Steelers spend more on the defensive side of the ball have anything to do with who is the team's MVP this season? What, the players crunched the numbers on calculators before the vote and said, "Oh, this is where more money is spent so a defensive player has to be our MVP?"

C'mon, how much eggnog did you drink Christmas day?

You say the Steelers will go only as far as the defense will take them. I say they will go only as far as Roethlisberger takes them.

The quarterback is the most important position on any team, and when one has played as well to warrant NFL MVP consideration as Roethlisberger has, he at least should be the MVP on his own team.

It's not like we're talking about the Steelers sitting Harrison Sunday so he doesn't get hurt.

Harris: Scott, do me a favor. I want you to go into the Steelers' locker room -- better still, go to Harrison's locker -- and tell them what you're telling me. No matter what you or I think about the Steelers' surprising MVP choice, the players had the final say. For whatever reason -- good or bad, personal or professional -- a majority of Steelers players didn't vote for Ben. An even bigger story than Ben not being voted MVP is why he wasn't his teammates' first choice.

Brown: Harrison himself said he voted for Roethlisberger for MVP. If you want me to tell him he should give the award to Roethlisberger you have a better chance of seeing me on the Steelers' sideline calling plays Sunday.

I'm not trying to slight Harrison in any way. He has been the best player on the defense that is ranked first in the NFL, but the Steelers could overcome his loss much easier than they could the loss of Roethlisberger.

I think you should go to Roethlisberger and tell the player that is having the best season by any quarterback in Steelers history that he didn't win the team MVP award because the Steelers spend more on the defensive side of the ball.

I'd pay money to see that.

Harris: How much are you willing to pay? Better still, I'd like for Ben to poll his teammates why they didn't vote for him. That I'd pay to see. That along with you explaining how Ben throwing the most touchdown passes in a season equates to the best season ever for a Steelers QB.

I repeat, the heart of this story is why Ben's teammates didn't vote him for MVP. We'll probably never get to the bottom of that one.

Brown: Guess we better get to that "other" Roethlisberger question. How much does he play Sunday?

Harris: Way to change the subject. First two quarters.

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/s_544688.html

Boomerang
12-29-2007, 05:44 PM
Congrat to Harrison,he has stepped up big time and will be a valuable Steeler for many years to come.

stillers4me
12-29-2007, 07:13 PM
I'm happy for James. He's worked hard and his teammates appreciate it. Maybe what Ben has done is a given. I'd bet Ben is thrilled for him, too.

Scott La Rock
12-29-2007, 07:57 PM
So, maybe the Oline isn't as putrid as we think...maybe they just don't like Ben very much.

:jawdrop:

I see the line not doing a good job.I see Ben most of the time by himself on the sidelines.The players voted.

To win. They better figure this TEAM thing out

Strength
Scott

The_WARDen
12-30-2007, 06:42 PM
maybe the players will want to reconsider after today's game...I believe Harrison played and the defense looked like swiss cheese. Ben was taken out of the equation and the offense looked inept.

Just as anyone would have predicted.

Ben is the MVP....the players got it wrong.

rpv
12-30-2007, 07:27 PM
...is the MVP. No matter what the locker room thought this game goes on to show that this team cant do anything without Ben in there. Talking about the defense Fred Taylor and Drew Jones should be drooling today on how well they could run the ball. :dang::banging: They are giving about 200 yards per game....it is scary.

Steeldude
12-30-2007, 07:46 PM
i am waiting for someone to chime in with "lebeau is probably waiting until the playoffs to unleash the special defensive schemes he has worked on in secret"...lmao.

Steeldude
12-30-2007, 07:54 PM
...THIS GAME PROVES THAT BIG BEN... is the MVP. No matter what the locker room thought this game goes on to show that this team cant do anything without Ben in there.

no it doesn't, i have seen BR throw INTs like batch did at the end of the game many, many times. you are comparing a starting QB that has played all season to a backup playing his first game in a long time.

weren't the steelers shutout last year 27-0 and another loss to the ravens with a score of 31-7 with BR as the QB? i know, i know, BR was in a motorcycle accident :rolleyes:

one game does not make an MVP.

harrison as the MVP is not a bad choice. it could have gone either way. it doesn't really matter though. MVP means nothing.

iloveben7
01-02-2008, 03:58 PM
I just think that the players expect that out of Ben. There was a quote of Keisel, one of Ben'e best friends on the team, and he said that everyone expects Ben to make big plays and to make something out of nothing. He also said Ben's been doing amazing stuff like that since he was a rookie.

I think if Ben would have had an awful first 3 seasons, he would be the MVP.

SteelersJW
01-02-2008, 04:42 PM
Jimmy had a great year, but I think Ben deserves the MVP. He rebounded from a dissapointing season last year and put together oneof the best performances by a Steeler's quaterback ever.
Whatever I may think, the title is decided by the players, not the fans. Congradulations on a tremendous season James Harrison, I look forward to seeing him kick some ass in the playoffs.

Newzfoxjr
01-02-2008, 04:46 PM
What scares me is to think what Ben could've done on those 50 (or whatever it was) plays he was sacked on. If his stats were good enough for the Pro Bowl WITH those, then he would've had a MONSTER season with a Pro Bowl (or even just a notch better) O-line.

But anyway, leadership and such is stuff we can't rate anyone on - it's all from a team perspective. I certainly think that coupled with his stats, Harrison's leadership probably stood out more than what anyone else did this year.

Elvis
01-02-2008, 05:02 PM
:jawdrop:Why Harrison?...
For the 1st half of the season I could see it... but in the entire season... No Way!!
Where would this team be without Big Ben?... This is a joke of a vote in my opinion... Harrison had those 8 1/2 sacks in the 1st half of the year..

fansince'76
01-02-2008, 05:04 PM
What scares me is to think what Ben could've done on those 50 (or whatever it was) plays he was sacked on.

He had Hines WIDE OPEN long on the one play that Wilfork came through the middle untouched. :banging: