PDA

View Full Version : Benazir Bhutto Assassinated

SteelCityMan786
12-27-2007, 11:32 AM
http://www.cnn.com/2007/WORLD/asiapcf/12/27/pakistan.sharif/index.html?eref=rss_world

RAWALPINDI, Pakistan (CNN) -- Pakistan's former Prime Minister Benazir Bhutto was assassinated Thursday outside a large gathering of her supporters where a suicide bomber also killed at least 14, doctors and a spokesman for her party said.

While Bhutto appeared to have died from bullet wounds, it was not immediately clear if she was shot or if her wounds were caused by bomb shrapnel.

President Pervez Musharraf held an emergency meeting in the hours after the death, according to state media.

Police warned citizens to stay home as they expected rioting to break out in city streets in reaction to the death.

Police sources told CNN the bomber, who was riding a motorcycle, blew himself up near Bhutto's vehicle.

Bhutto was rushed to Rawalpindi General Hospital -- less than two miles from the bombing scene -- where doctors pronounced her dead.

Former Pakistan government spokesman Tariq Azim Khan said while it appeared Bhutto was shot, it was unclear if the bullet wounds to her head and neck were caused by a shooting or if it was shrapnel from the bomb.

Bhutto's husband issued a statement from his home in Dubai saying, "All I can say is we're devastated, it's a total shock."

President Bush, vacationing at his Texas ranch, has been "informed about the situation in Pakistan," said the White House. "We condemn the acts of violence which took place today in Pakistan," said a spokesman.

The number of wounded was not immediately known. However, video of the scene showed ambulances lined up to take many to hospitals.

The attack came just hours after four supporters of former Pakistan Prime Minister Nawaz Sharif died when members of another political party opened fire on them at a rally near the Islamabad airport Thursday, Pakistan police said.

Several other members of Sharif's party were wounded, police said.

Bhutto, who led Paksitan from 1988 to 1990 and was the first female prime minister of any Islamic nation, was participating in the parliamentary election set for January 8, hoping for a third term.

A terror attack targeting her motorcade in Karachi killed 136 people on the day she returned to Pakistan after eight years of self-imposed exile.(Read rest of article in the link, it's probably going to be too long.)

SteelCityMan786
12-27-2007, 11:33 AM
Another work of terrorism. Damn cowards.

Counselor
12-27-2007, 12:04 PM
Wow, that is really sad (I always liked her) and scary. Things aresn't looking stable in Pakistan. Not good for a nuclear armed country.

SteelCityMan786
12-27-2007, 12:15 PM
Wow, that is really sad (I always liked her) and scary. Things aresn't looking stable in Pakistan. Not good for a nuclear armed country.

Not just that, but also they're having elections Jan. 8. This comes 11 days prior.

touchdownward
12-28-2007, 01:25 PM
http://www.cnn.com/2007/WORLD/asiapcf/12/28/pakistan.friday/index.html?eref=rss_topstories

fansince'76
12-28-2007, 01:45 PM

I'm more worried about what would happen if Musharraf gets taken out, namely Al-Qaeda getting nukes.

touchdownward
12-28-2007, 03:45 PM
Thanks for posting this follow up article. Good read. Sounds like a cover-up to me!
Yeah, I think they're trying to ease the public tensions by making it appear as though it was an accident and not a direct result of a terrorist attack.
One of the videos contained in the article stated that she hit the right side of her head on a lever that was located on the left. My thinking is that the percussion from the explosion nearby, blew her into the lever.

A very sad incident and has become way too commonplace these days.

83-Steelers-43
12-28-2007, 06:00 PM
Not exactly shocking news. This has not been the first time an attempt has been made on her life.

Then you look at the video footage of the assassination and it's no wonder that the suicide bomber was able to pump two bullets into her body and then blow himself up. A mob of people were surrounding her vehicle and at one point a person was able to climb on the back of her vehicle. The security was pathetic.

SteelCityMan786
12-28-2007, 08:29 PM
Not exactly shocking news. This has not been the first time an attempt has been made on her life.

Then you look at the video footage of the assassination and it's no wonder that the suicide bomber was able to pump two bullets into her body and then blow himself up. A mob of people were surrounding her vehicle and at one point a person was able to climb on the back of her vehicle. The security was pathetic.

After awhile if I was in her shoes I would have just went back down into the vehicle.

revefsreleets
12-28-2007, 09:06 PM
She was courageous, that's for sure. Pakistan will be a huger mess now than it already was.

Preacher
12-30-2007, 12:17 AM
I'm more worried about what would happen if Musharraf gets taken out, namely Al-Qaeda getting nukes.

Talk about one of your more nightmare scenarios. Though, to be honest, I think it more likely that those nukes would be used on Israel then the US... as they are short to intermediate range boosters if I remember right.

MACH1
12-30-2007, 01:43 AM
Talk about one of your more nightmare scenarios. Though, to be honest, I think it more likely that those nukes would be used on Israel then the US... as they are short to intermediate range boosters if I remember right.

Yeah, but I could see it escalate from there. Who knows for 100% sure what iran has and are willing to do,. Then throw Al-Qaeda and or china, russia into the mix. It could get really ugly fast.

Preacher
12-30-2007, 02:37 AM
Yeah, but I could see it escalate from there. Who knows for 100% sure what iran has and are willing to do,. Then throw Al-Qaeda and or china, russia into the mix. It could get really ugly fast.

Kinda makes President Bush's push for ABM's early in his presidency actually pretty smart... doesn't it.