PDA

View Full Version : Ben expected to sit on Sunday

Atlanta Dan
12-27-2007, 03:20 PM
Quarterback Ben Roethlisberger did not practice for the second day in a row and is not expected to play in Sunday's regular-season finale in Baltimore.

Roethlisberger sprained his ankle in last week's 41-24 victory in St. Louis and the Steelers do not want to aggravate the injury by playing him against the Ravens. The injury, though, is not serious and Roethlisberger will play in the wild-card playoff game next weekend at Heinz Field.

Roethlisberger will be replaced as the starter by veteran Charlie Batch

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/07361/844832-66.stm

Sounds like a good idea to me

HometownGal
12-27-2007, 03:28 PM
Good. The week off will give Ben some extra time to get that ankle in as tip top shape as possible for the playoffs. The win in Baltimoronville isn't as important as having Ben near 100% for our run. :thumbsup: Thanks for the story, Dan.

jjpro11
12-27-2007, 03:32 PM
thank God! i did not want to see him on the field vs those dirty rat birds.

The_WARDen
12-27-2007, 03:54 PM
Best news I've heard today!

Sith Lord
12-27-2007, 03:58 PM
Steelers | Roethlisberger not expected to play Week 17
Thu, 27 Dec 2007 12:16:06 -0800

Gerry Dulac, of the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette, reports Pittsburgh Steelers QB Ben Roethlisberger (ankle) did not participate in practice Thursday, Dec. 27. He is not expected to play Week 17. If Roethlisberger does not play in the game, QB Charlie Batch will take his place.

Great news....I hope there is more starters that are going to take a seat as well. Meaningless game with SD playing Oak and all. We still have a real good shot to win with Batch, and with a minor miracle JaMarcus Russell will put on his Joe Montana outfit and beat SD.

chenzzo
12-27-2007, 04:27 PM
I'm glad for this, I could really see the Ravens gunning for Ben more than normal

ShutDown24
12-27-2007, 04:54 PM
Yay!

83-Steelers-43
12-27-2007, 05:01 PM
Very smart (and obvious) choice. It's good to hear.

stillers4me
12-27-2007, 05:42 PM
His ankle must be hurt worse than we thought.

Stlrs4Life
12-27-2007, 05:46 PM
Charlie will need the game experience anyway. He hasn't played in a game in awhile.

stillers4me
12-27-2007, 05:54 PM
Charlie will need the game experience anyway. He hasn't played in a game in awhile.

He has the kneel down thing down good, though........... :sofunny:

Newzfoxjr
12-27-2007, 08:21 PM
Eh, I always like seeing Ben play, but this is good. He needs the rest and I think we can beat the Ravens without him anyway. :O

Rhee Rhee
12-28-2007, 01:40 AM
i hope this is the game that verron gets a "man's" load of work... let ben rest and give gary and verron between them 30 some carries...

Galax Steeler
12-28-2007, 04:58 AM
i hope this is the game that verron gets a "man's" load of work... let ben rest and give gary and verron between them 30 some carries...

Agreed but I think davenport should get his carries to prepare him for the playoffs.

Preacher
12-28-2007, 05:11 AM

Yep.. let them carry the load... and be tackling dummies for the Ravens. Meanwhile, we focus on next week.

HERE WE GO STEELERS HERE WE GO!!

stlrtruck
12-28-2007, 09:10 AM
The win in Baltimoronville isn't as important as having Ben near 100% for our run. :thumbsup: Thanks for the story, Dan.

While the win, overall isn't as important as the playoffs I must add that a victory is important if you grew up in the area and understand the mentality of the fanbase in that area.

Sweeping them this year insures me of one thing - I'll get another call from my father and get to hear the words, "Good game, the Steelers are the better team!" or some facsimile to that.

So :cheers: here's to Batch lighting up the ratbirds from baltimoronville!!!

steelpride12
12-28-2007, 09:41 AM
Great! Give Ben sometime to rest his injuries mainly his ankle and be ready and fresh for the wildcard game!
I love watching Batch get a chance to play he always looks pretty amazing out there and is one of the best if not the best backup QB in the league and its great to see him play and dominate!
Go Batch!

Dino 6 Rings
12-28-2007, 09:49 AM
Batch can get the job done against the Ravens. Looking forward to being 6-0 in the division.

The AFC North Champs can win with their back up QB.

HERE WE GO STEELERS HERE WE GO!

OneForTheToe
12-28-2007, 10:39 PM
I guess this means "frenchie" will be active for the first and onlt time this year.

83-Steelers-43
12-28-2007, 10:40 PM
Batch can get the job done against the Ravens. Looking forward to being 6-0 in the division.

The AFC North Champs can win with their back up QB.

HERE WE GO STEELERS HERE WE GO!

This helps...........

It's official: Several starters out for Ravens' season finale
By The Associated Press
Friday, December 28, 2007

OWINGS MILLS, Md. (AP) -- The Baltimore Ravens' tight end Todd Heap, quarterback Kyle Boller and running back Willis McGahee will not play in Sunday's season finale against the Pittsburgh Steelers.

Baltimore (4-11) has lost a franchise-record nine consecutive games and will finish in last place in the AFC North for the first time since 1997.

Rookie Troy Smith will replace Boller, out with a concussion, and McGahee (fractured ribs) will be replaced by fifth-year pro Musa Smith.

With Heap out for the ninth time over the past 10 games due to a strained hamstring, the only healthy tight end on the active roster is undrafted rookie Lee Vickers. He's preparing for his first NFL start after beginning the season as a defensive end on the Philadelphia Eagles' practice squad.

Backup tight ends Daniel Wilcox (thigh) and Quinn Sypniewski (concussion) are out as are wide receiver Demetrius Williams (high-ankle sprain) and safety Gerome Sapp (hamstring).

And middle linebacker Ray Lewis isn't "looking good" to return from a dislocated finger and a back injury, coach Brian Billick said.

Listed as questionable on the injury report, Lewis hasn't practiced all week.

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/s_544927.html

tony hipchest
12-28-2007, 10:51 PM
if ben played for belichick he would have a viable shot to throw 18 td's against the horrible ravens and win the td passing record. :dang:

Preacher
12-28-2007, 11:02 PM
if ben played for belichick he would have a viable shot to throw 18 td's against the horrible ravens and win the td passing record. :dang:

:sofunny::sofunny:

Very true.

madsteelerfan51
12-29-2007, 02:19 AM
Roethlisberger sprained his ankle in last week's 41-24 victory in St. Louis and the Steelers do not want to aggravate the injury by playing him against the Ravens. The injury, though, is not serious and Roethlisberger will play in the wild-card playoff game next weekend at Heinz Field.

Nice call, we need Ben well rested and healthy for the real games, Charlie Batch can handle the Ravens. :tt02:

Galax Steeler
12-29-2007, 07:19 AM
Sounds like baltimore has alot of injuries or could it be they are scared of silver back on deffense or is it ward knocking the piss out of them when we have the ball sounds like they are scared to me.

pittsburghgirl8786
12-30-2007, 02:28 PM
It's for the best. We actually didn't need him to play anyway today, though it would be nice to get that 3rd seed spot. Well, we still could with a SanDiego loss and a win by us. Hopefully Ben Will be ready to go for our playoff run in which we intend on lasting = ]

Lord Stiller
12-30-2007, 02:45 PM
Good news

Ravens cheap shot Ben every game especially Suggs

Besides, Ravens are a total joke and Batch should easily beat them