PDA

View Full Version : Smith has back surgery, return unknown

83-Steelers-43
12-27-2007, 04:12 PM
Steelers' Smith has back surgery, return unknown
Thursday, December 27, 2007
By Gerry Dulac, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

The Steelers may have lost another starter for the remainder of the season when left tackle Marvel Smith had back surgery today.

Smith, a seven-year starter, will not play Sunday in Baltimore and will miss the Steelers' wild-card playoff game against an undetermined opponent next weekend at Heinz Field.

However, the Steelers are cautiously optimistic he could return if they make it to the second round of the AFC playoffs.

Smith will be replaced by Max Starks, the former starter at right tackle who will make his fourth start at left tackle Sunday in Baltimore.

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/07361/844836-66.stm#

ShutDown24
12-27-2007, 04:25 PM
It is just a good thing Tomlin & Co were thinking ahead enough to try Starks at LT all through camp and pre-season.

Dino 6 Rings
12-27-2007, 04:27 PM
Still a little surprised that they didn't make the move of Faneca to center earlier this season and put Mahan at Guard. Oh well. Hope the O-line plays its best going forward and Ben doesn't spend the post season running for his life.

Atlanta Dan
12-27-2007, 09:05 PM
I guess the plan is Faneca to LT if Starks goes down for the rest of the season

Hard to see how you can be "cautiously optimistic" someone may play 2 weeks after back surgery

Preacher
12-27-2007, 09:51 PM
You know... If starks holds his own here... I would have no problem resigning him.

I like the fact that he has been able to step up lately into a number of different positions... and actually have played decently.

However, When he reports eligible, I DO want to see him catch a pass! :wink02:

BlastFurnace
12-27-2007, 10:22 PM
You know... If starks holds his own here... I would have no problem resigning him.

I like the fact that he has been able to step up lately into a number of different positions... and actually have played decently.

However, When he reports eligible, I DO want to see him catch a pass! :wink02:

The problem is that with every good start from this point forward, $$$$ are added to his salary demands...especially if he is slated as a FA at Left Tackle. According to some reports I have read, we are $18 Million under the cap next season. Ben will take up much of that.

Starks has been a pleasant surprise and has played very well. I wouldn't mind seeing him stick around.

Preacher
12-27-2007, 10:25 PM
The problem is that with every good start from this point forward, $$$$ are added to his salary demands...especially if he is slated as a FA at Left Tackle. According to some reports I have read, we are $18 Million under the cap next season. Ben will take up much of that.

Starks has been a pleasant surprise and has played very well. I wouldn't mind seeing him stick around.

Sure is a change from what we were thinking before the year started... isn't it.

BlastFurnace
12-27-2007, 10:29 PM
Sure is a change from what we were thinking before the year started... isn't it.

Yes. Kind of reminds me of how a lot of people felt about Ike Taylor before Willie Williams was hurt before the 2005 season.

Starks will get at-least 2 more starts...hopefully more...to set the stage for his offseason.

Preacher
12-27-2007, 10:34 PM
Yes. Kind of reminds me of how a lot of people felt about Ike Taylor before Willie Williams was hurt before the 2005 season.

Starks will get at-least 2 more starts...hopefully more...to set the stage for his offseason.

Funny, i was actually hoping we would lose him this year as a RFA... and get a pick for him.

ShutDown24
12-27-2007, 10:47 PM
Just thinking... A guy having back surgery and he might be back in two weeks... We should all be thankful for how far medical technology has come.

MasterOfPuppets
12-27-2007, 10:56 PM
It is just a good thing Tomlin & Co were thinking ahead enough to try Starks at LT all through camp and pre-season.actually if tomlin & co. were thinking ahead, one of our first two picks last year, would have been used on the oline.....:wink02:

ShutDown24
12-27-2007, 10:59 PM
actually if tomlin & co. were thinking ahead, one of our first two picks last year, would have been used on the oline.....:wink02:

Sure, but they didn't know how bad our line was going to play, or how good James Harrison was actually going to be...

GBMelBlount
12-27-2007, 11:04 PM
Just thinking... A guy having back surgery and he might be back in two weeks... We should all be thankful for how far medical technology has come.

LOL! That would be great, however as earlier mentioned, unless the surgery is somewhat akin to lower back tattoo removal the 2 week prognosis is very doubtful IMO. However I may be wrong. Just look at the conditions when Ben was cleared to play. :hunch:

tony hipchest
12-27-2007, 11:04 PM
Just thinking... A guy having back surgery and he might be back in two weeks... We should all be thankful for how far medical technology has come.i dont see it.

marvin harrison, larry johnson, reggie bush all got hopeful prognosises. granted, their injuries werent the back. but the problem with the back was what had marvel giving up 4 sacks to the jags. him being back in 2 weeks cant be much better than that type of output.

i think hes on the shelf with willie.

ShutDown24
12-27-2007, 11:09 PM
LOL! That would be great, however as earlier mentioned, unless the surgery is somewhat akin to lower back tattoo removal the 2 week prognosis is very doubtful IMO. However I may be wrong. Just look at the conditions when Ben was cleared to play. :hunch:

Obviously the two week possibility is very optimistic... But I am just saying, even the fact that there is a chance is fantastic compared to how it used to be.

GBMelBlount
12-27-2007, 11:33 PM
Obviously the two week possibility is very optimistic... But I am just saying, even the fact that there is a chance is fantastic compared to how it used to be.

I agree SD, and nothing would make me happier than Smith fully healed and playing well in 3 weeks. :cheers:

SteelCityMan786
12-27-2007, 11:42 PM
Still a little surprised that they didn't make the move of Faneca to center earlier this season and put Mahan at Guard. Oh well. Hope the O-line plays its best going forward and Ben doesn't spend the post season running for his life.

The only guard to the best of my knowledge that actually tried center was Simmons.

stillers4me
12-27-2007, 11:52 PM
I agree SD, and nothing would make me happier than Smith fully healed and playing well in 3 weeks. :cheers:

Nothing would make me happier than if we were actually still playing in 3 weeks. :wink02:

ShutDown24
12-27-2007, 11:52 PM
The only guard to the best of my knowledge that actually tried center was Simmons.

Same here.

SteelCityMan786
12-28-2007, 12:21 AM
Nothing would make me happier than if we were actually still playing in 3 weeks. :wink02:

Actually for me, seeing them winning the Super Bowl would make me a happy man.

Rhee Rhee
12-28-2007, 01:27 AM

now if we could just have aaron smith back... how great that would be...

anyway awesome sig... very very original!

ShutDown24
12-28-2007, 01:38 AM
now if we could just have aaron smith back... how great that would be...

anyway awesome sig... very very original!

If we got Aaron back we would be in good shape for the playoffs... Thanks assuming that was sincere lol...

jjpro11
12-28-2007, 03:57 AM
well this sucks.. i was hoping to see starks at LT again, but have smith playing on the right side.. willie colon must be replaced.

Galax Steeler
12-28-2007, 04:50 AM
I believe you hit the nail on the head colon should be replaced.

GBMelBlount
12-28-2007, 09:13 AM
I believe you hit the nail on the head colon should be replaced.

Is that an outpatient procedure? :wink02:

steelpride12
12-28-2007, 09:39 AM
Injuries are just racking up left and right and i wish we could rest everyone against the Ravens and just accept the 4th seed because having everyone healthy for the playoffs is the key need right now.
We can't afford to lose anymore players and with Smith being out all i can say is here is your time to shine Starks!

ShutDown24
12-28-2007, 09:48 AM
Colon isn't going to be replaced anytime soon for those of you hoping. Tomlin has repetedley stated that the whole team thinks Colon has made great strides this season towards becoming a great player.

Rotorhead
12-28-2007, 11:42 AM
I dont really care who plays where on the line as long as they keep ppl off Ben and out of the backfield. I am tired of a 4man rush constantly getting sacks! I doubt Smith will be back this season even if we make the Superbowl (cause that will mean Starks is playing well). Just think about the strain on a back when trying to block someone, not to mention a speed rusher. I think Starks should be thinking about his next paycheck and should be playing out of this world for the next few games. As far as Resigning Ben, I dont think he will force a big signing bonus and all, he will get his money, but has often stated he wants to stay in the Burgh, so I wouldnt be surprised to see him not demanding a monster/record contract that will deplete the teams coffers. Im sure he is tired of getting sacked also haha

The Duke
12-28-2007, 11:45 AM
Colon isn't going to be replaced anytime soon for those of you hoping. Tomlin has repetedley stated that the whole team thinks Colon has made great strides this season towards becoming a great player.

:dang: are they out of their freaking minds?

I guess they're seeing something we as fans don't. But what I see is an offensive tackle that can't handle the job and let's DE's near Ben way too often, it not always ends in a sack, but as we know Ben almost never has time back there.

I sincerely hope they try him out as guard next season after Alan's gone

The_WARDen
12-28-2007, 12:24 PM

really? what's the color of the sky in his world? If he seriously thinks that, then I question his judgement alot!

ShutDown24
12-28-2007, 12:30 PM
really? what's the color of the sky in his world? If he seriously thinks that, then I question his judgement alot!

Oh I don't know... Let's see what Colon can do with some better line-mates next year. He hasn't played that much worse than the other four and it is only his first year as a starter... Even Faneca took some time to develop when we drafted him out of LSU... Ben scrambles to his right way more than to his left and it isn't just because his handedness... That alone speaks volumes.