PDA

View Full Version : Patriots Future

lamberts-lost-tooth
12-28-2007, 09:57 AM
For those of us...(99% of the world) who are tired of all the Patriots knob slobbing...Let me give you just a little more good news.

You know from previous posts that the Patriots are looking at a pretty sizable financial obstacle in retaining their players next year...$23 million to Samuel, $11 million to Moss, $11 million to Stallworth, $18 million to Wilfork and around $18 million to the first round draft choice. That?s over $80 million in bonuses and guarantees to just five players in one offseason.

That in itself may make your day but for all of us who get so tired of hearing how losing a first round pick for CHEATING was softened by picking up a first round pick from the 49ers.....lets look closer at last years draft

Brandon Meriweather S Miami: Plays rarely even on DB heavy schemes
Kareem Brown DT Miami.........................................Not on Roster
Clint Oldenburg OL Colorado State.......................Not on Roster
Justin Rogers DE Southern Methodist..................Not on Roster
Mike Richardson CB Notre Dame..........................Not on Roster
Justise Hairston RB Central Connecticut State...Not on Roster
Corey Hilliard T Oklahoma State.............................Not on Roster
Oscar Lua ILB USC............................................... .....Not on Roster
Mike Elgin OL University of Iowa..............................Not on Roster

That's 8 out of 9 draft picks that didnt make the team....and Meriweather is considered the #3 biggest draft bust by ProFootballWeekly.

Even if last year was a fluck...the pats lost a full year with their last draft.

I think I will open this post on a regular basis....it makes me smile.:smile:

ShutDown24
12-28-2007, 10:10 AM
The team hasn't been that good at drafting since Parcells left IMO... They have gotten a few good picks over the years like Seymour and Watson but most of the time their first round picks... Or any round picks for that matter end up making little or no impact then leaving via free agency (Daniel Graham, Brandon Merriweather, Lawrence Maroney, Andy Katzenmoyer). That is why they have had to make a living off of picking up other people’s trash.

The Patriot
12-28-2007, 03:18 PM
Well we did get Brady! #199

First of all, it isn't like we got this pick for free. It's leftover from what we got for Deion Branch and based on the Patriots drafting record, I doubt we will pick up anybody to compensate for him. So rest easy.

Secondly, we will likely trade this pick to a lousy team like Miami, who is desperately trying to build, for a veteran. Oh, let's say Jason Taylor by chance? We did it with Thomas. So I wouldn't expect the Patriots defense to disapear next year.

ShutDown24
12-28-2007, 03:21 PM
Well we did get Brady! #199

First of all, it isn't like we got this pick for free. It's leftover from what we got for Deion Branch and based on the Patriots drafting record, I doubt we will pick up anybody to compensate for him. So rest easy.

Secondly, we will likely trade this pick to a lousy team like Miami, who is desperately trying to build, for a veteran. Oh, let's say Jason Taylor by chance? We did it with Thomas. So I wouldn't expect the Patriots defense to disapear next year.

Parcells wants to trade waaay down. I don't see any chance of you trading the pick to Miami. The smartest thing to do would be indeed trade it away... I just have a feeling Belichick wants to stick it to the league even more by taking a superstar... It would be a bad deceision in my opinion, and one that is unlikely to take place, but I can see them using the pick actually.

Elvis
12-28-2007, 04:02 PM
:coffee: Who was it that said the Patriots pick up everone else's trash?...
Shutdown24?.... I hope that you werent serious when you said that. All they have picked up is Randy Moss... one of the most talented recievers in todays' game.. like it or not. That is really all Brady has lacked in the last few seasons. This is truly a team that is one of the best put together and is coached by one of the best head coaches in the league's history. I cant stand his ways most of the time, but the man is the best in the business today.

The Patriot
12-28-2007, 04:04 PM
Parcells wants to trade waaay down. I don't see any chance of you trading the pick to Miami. The smartest thing to do would be indeed trade it away... I just have a feeling Belichick wants to stick it to the league even more by taking a superstar... It would be a bad deceision in my opinion, and one that is unlikely to take place, but I can see them using the pick actually.

Watch him steal a top QB like Matt Ryan from a poor 5-11 team.

ShutDown24
12-28-2007, 04:09 PM
:coffee: Who was it that said the Patriots pick up everone else's trash?...
Shutdown24?.... I hope that you werent serious when you said that. All they have picked up is Randy Moss... one of the most talented recievers in todays' game.. like it or not. That is really all Brady has lacked in the last few seasons. This is truly a team that is one of the best put together and is coached by one of the best head coaches in the league's history. I cant stand his ways most of the time, but the man is the best in the business today.

Vrable, Poteat, Corey Dillon, Stallworth, Welker, Heath Evans, Thomas, Seau, Harrison... I could go on and on... It isn't an insult, just a figure of speech. The team doesn't build on drafting as much as most good teams do. They build their team on free agency...

Watch him steal a top QB like Matt Ryan from a poor 5-11 team.

Honestly, that would be fricking hilarious. Hey, you never know :flap:

RoethlisBURGHer
12-29-2007, 09:06 AM
I can see them taking Matt Ryan and trading him to some crap team for next year's first round pick. Or just to ber jerkoffs, let him sit behind Brady for a few years.

If they do use the pick, I think we will see them use it on a CB. With the 12th win of the year, activated a clause in Asante Samuels contract whuich bars them from hitting him with the franchise tag, which clears hum to become an unrestricted free agent. We won't be a Patriot after this season.

lamberts-lost-tooth
12-30-2007, 09:26 AM
WHEN they lose in the playoffs.....reality will set in and the Pats will draft a LBer.

lamberts-lost-tooth
01-05-2008, 11:41 AM
I heard that friggin' idiot Collinsworth yesterday on the radio saying that the Pats may be willing to trade with Dallas to get out of the top 10...but there is NO way that the Pats can afford two 1st round draft picks and NO WAY Dallas would give them up when the draft is as deep as it is.

steelers2685
01-05-2008, 01:23 PM
I really think they will go with a linebacker, like Laurinitis. I highly doubt they will trade the pick away because they do have many aged players. Not only that, but also, as many have said, to stick it to the other teams in the league that they could get away with murder if they wanted too. That fine should've resulted in taking away their highest first round pick, not just THEIR first round pick. But hey, Goodell, Kraft, Brady, and Cheatichik are buddy buddy so that would never happen.

lamberts-lost-tooth
01-12-2008, 11:03 AM
Jan. 11, 2008
Pro Football Weekly
Patriots' LB corps faces disconcerting future

Don?t look now, but the Patriots? brass is likely facing a considerable conundrum at linebacker in the offseason. It starts in the interior, where ILBs Tedy Bruschi (age 34) and Junior Seau (39 this month) are believed to be playing out the final chapter of their decorated careers. The inside-outside versatility of remaining starters Mike Vrabel and Adalius Thomas certainly alleviates some concern, but a season-ending injury to OLB Rosevelt Colvin in Week 12 exposed the Pats? lack of LB depth. Exacerbating the problem is their dearth of developmental prospects ready to step up. Thirty-three-year-old special-teams ace Larry Izzo aside, the Pats have just three other linebackers in the organization, and neither Pierre Woods, Eric Alexander nor Oscar Lua is believed to possess starting-level ability. Sources tell us that re-signing Asante Samuel and Randy Moss takes precedence this offseason, thus making it unlikely the Pats will have enough cap room to ink a top free-agent linebacker. Which leads us to the draft. Coach Bill Belichick?s belief that it takes an experienced veteran to properly patrol the second level of his 3-4 defense has kept him from investing high picks on linebackers in the past, but the potential gravity of the team?s need may cause him to re-evaluate his stance.

Rhee Rhee
01-12-2008, 06:29 PM
That's 8 out of 9 draft picks that didnt make the team....and Meriweather is considered the #3 biggest draft bust by ProFootballWeekly.

i was just wondering but what was timmons ranked as?

Elvis
01-12-2008, 09:16 PM
[quote=ShutDown24;346630]Vrable, Poteat, Corey Dillon, Stallworth, Welker, Heath Evans, Thomas, Seau, Harrison... I could go on and on... It isn't an insult, just a figure of speech. The team doesn't build on drafting as much as most good teams do. They build their team on free agency...

:coffee: So, your trying to tell me that Mike Vrable hasnt had a good career in New England?.. or that Corey Dillon didnt contribute to that team for a few years? Stallworth isnt making plays for the Patriots this season so far?.... Harrison may be one of the Dirtiest Players That Has Ever Played the Game, but he is as tough and as hard hitting a safety as there is in the game right now. So, your gonna have to show me more than just this list... You can feel free to continue on and show that I am wrong... ohhhh yeah... I didnt even mention the name of one player from this year.... Randy... ever heard of this guy?.....

lamberts-lost-tooth
02-10-2008, 12:27 PM
Salting the wound: After crushing Super Bowl loss, Patriots face challenge in keeping franchise at elite level

By Matt Sohn
Feb. 6, 2008

After a demoralized Patriots team trudged back into their University of Phoenix locker room following their shocking Super Bowl loss to the Giants, they proceeded to shed themselves of their identities as Patriots. Off went their helmets and team-embroidered insignia and on went their street clothes.

For many of them, it will be the last time they ever take off their Patriots-issued uniforms.

Since the Bill Belichick-Scott Pioli machine started calling the shots in Foxborough, Mass., the Patriots have been thought of as an organization that’s always a step or two ahead of the curve. They always seem to be able to make smooth transitions from one season to the next.

But the way we hear it, the Pats face a stern test in keeping their club humming this offseason. Perhaps no organization has as many marquee players in the unrestricted free-agent pool as the Patriots do, and the task of re-signing all of them, while also fortifying other positions of need, is virtually impossible.

The questions begin at wide receiver, where three of the team’s four leading receivers future hang in the balance. Randy Moss and Jabar Gaffney are both free agents, while the club holds an option on Dont? Stallworth. Among the outstanding quartet of pass catchers, only Wes Welker is assured of being in New England in 2008.

First, the most obvious move. The Patriots will not pick up Stallworth’s option, which is reportedly valued between $6 million and $8 million. While one of the league’s more dangerous receivers after the catch, the first-year Patriot never could get on track, falling behind Welker and Gaffney in the WR pecking order.

All indications point to Moss coming back. Even though he’ll turn 31 on Feb. 13 and the Patriots are reluctant to shell out primo money to players that old, Moss’ sensational 1,493-yard, 23-TD season served as notice that he could very well remain among the top receivers in the league for at least a few more seasons. That being said, there’s a strong possibility he’ll be offered more money by more desperate teams, but that his desire to stay with the Patriots will trump the greater financial windfall he will be privy to elsewhere.

“Randy’s a lot smarter than people give him credit for,” one team insider told PFW. “He knows that his legacy and getting into the Hall of Fame will be decided based on the end of his career and whether he can add a Super Bowl title or two. He knows that his best chance comes with Tom Brady.”

A less likely option would be to franchise Moss, which would count $7.85 million against the anticipated $116 million salary cap in 2008.

Gaffney is the prototypical role receiver whom the Pats would like to have back but won’t overextend to re-sign.

Star CB Asante Samuel won’t be as accommodating as Moss. Samuel is free to test the market due to a clause in the franchise tender he signed during training camp that stated the Patriots will not franchise him a second straight season if he satisfied certain preconditions. Samuel and Oakland’s Nnamdi Asomugha are the unquestioned headliners of the free-agent CB crop, and both will demand top dollar. Multiple sources have confirmed to PFW that New England would be putting itself in a serious salary-cap bind if it coughs up the cash for Samuel, so it seems increasingly unlikely that Samuel will remain in Patriots colors next season.

The problem with Samuel walking is that the Patriots are going to be in a world of hurt in their secondary. Ellis Hobbs may very well be the most quotable Patriot in the locker room, but he falls short in his primary job description of covering receivers. Being taken to task by Giants WR Plaxico Burress on his Super Bowl game-winning TD reception epitomized Hobbs’ shortcomings.

Venerable S Rodney Harrison, 35, had a better season than most believed he could at his age and will likely honor his contract, which runs through next season, but he can’t be expected to provide superior pass coverage at his age.

Linebacker presents another set of challenges. Aging ILBs Tedy Bruschi and Junior Seau are both free agents and are unlikely to be signed to anything more than one-year contracts — if they don’t retire. ESPN’s Sean Salisbury stated that, prior to the Super Bowl, Seau told him that the game’s outcome would go a long way in determining whether he’d return, an omen that bodes well for the Patriots. But neither Bruschi nor Seau is the player he once was, and the Pats need to look to other free agents to beef up the position. The team has precious little depth, and Belichick has traditionally been reluctant to build the position through the draft.

The Super Bowl flop ensured a long offseason in New England. But at least the front office has plenty on its plate to keep it occupied.

MasterOfPuppets
02-10-2008, 03:21 PM
The Super Bowl flop ::toofunny:...............:rofl:.......... :sofunny:............chuckle:....THAT JUST NEVER GETS OLD!!!!!....................:toofunny:

Cape Cod Steel Head
02-10-2008, 05:07 PM
[quote=ShutDown24;346630]Vrable, Poteat, Corey Dillon, Stallworth, Welker, Heath Evans, Thomas, Seau, Harrison... I could go on and on... It isn't an insult, just a figure of speech. The team doesn't build on drafting as much as most good teams do. They build their team on free agency...

:coffee: So, your trying to tell me that Mike Vrable hasnt had a good career in New England?.. or that Corey Dillon didnt contribute to that team for a few years? Stallworth isnt making plays for the Patriots this season so far?.... Harrison may be one of the Dirtiest Players That Has Ever Played the Game, but he is as tough and as hard hitting a safety as there is in the game right now. So, your gonna have to show me more than just this list... You can feel free to continue on and show that I am wrong... ohhhh yeah... I didnt even mention the name of one player from this year.... Randy... ever heard of this guy?.....
I don't think that's what SD24 is saying at all. He is saying the Patsy's suck at drafting, and have to build their team via free agency!

Dino 6 Rings
02-11-2008, 04:31 PM
I can feel the 49ers of the early 90s coming...after being on top so long...the fall down is hard and fast and you stay down for a long time.