PDA

View Full Version : Baltimorons Throwing In the Towel

HometownGal
12-28-2007, 02:46 PM
SteelSurf asked me to post this quite amusing article on his behalf. Looks like M & T will be a sea of black and gold this Sunday afternoon! :toofunny::tt02:

http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/football/bal-sp.ravens28dec28,0,6710203.story?page=1&track=rss

TheWarDen86
12-28-2007, 03:01 PM
SteelSurf asked me to post this quite amusing article on his behalf. Looks like M & T will be a sea of black and gold this Sunday afternoon! :toofunny::tt02:

http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/football/bal-sp.ravens28dec28,0,6710203.story?page=1&track=rss

I'm on another B-More MB and they've all but given up on the Ravens. I told them who wasn't starting and the first question I got was, "What about James Harrison."

:smile: They're afraid of #92 and like Warren Sapp says about sacking the QB: "It's Hilarious."

MasterOfPuppets
12-28-2007, 04:36 PM
so bart's predicting a lose ??? :toofunny:

Bart Scott said. "We have some of the best fans in the world. You don't want to see a lot of Steelers fans out there, but I can understand. Nobody wants to sit out there and freeze their butt off when they already have an idea of how the outcome is going to come."

klick81
12-28-2007, 06:16 PM
so bart's predicting a lose ??? :toofunny:

Haha, yeah! He's already figured they'd get their asses handed to them. :tt02:

rpv
12-28-2007, 06:37 PM
READING ALL THE COMMENTS AT THE END OF THE FIRST PAGEOF THE ARTICLE FROM THE RAVENS FANBASE MADE ME LAUGH MY HEART OUT. IT MAKES FOR SOME GREAT READING:toofunny:

Stlrs4Life
12-28-2007, 06:42 PM
baltimoresun.com

Some Ravens fans throwing in towel
Fed-up Baltimore supporters may open door to Steelers invasion

By Jamison Hensley

Sun Reporter

December 28, 2007

In a season where nothing has seemed to go right, the Ravens' final home game might not even be a true home game.

Thousands of disgruntled Ravens fans are selling their tickets to the usually hated Steelers Nation, which could make M&T Bank Stadium look like Heinz Field on Sunday.

Some fans are upset about the nine-game losing streak. Some are upset with coach Brian Billick. And some are upset with just about everything linked to the most disappointing season in Ravens history.

This has led loyal Ravens fans to give up their tickets to their most dreaded rivals, causing a surge in tickets being put up for sale on Internet auction sites. By Sunday, waves of black-and-gold jerseys could change the downtown landscape, with fans waving their Terrible Towels while downing Iron City Beer.

"I am looking forward to 30 to 40 percent being Steelers fans," said Ed McConnell, 60, a member of the Pittsburgh Steelers Fan Club of Maryland.

Traditionally, Steelers fans have made the four-hour drive from Western Pennsylvania to buy between 3,000 and 5,000 tickets at Baltimore's 71,008-seat stadium.

But the combination of the Ravens' struggles and the Steelers' success could translate to the best showing ever by Pittsburgh fans. There is a chance that as many as 20,000 from the Steel City will watch their AFC North champions close out the regular season against the downtrodden Ravens.

The Pittsburgh Steelers Fan Club of Maryland, whose Web site's banner reads "Baltiburgh," is hosting an all-day rally tomorrow at a Pasadena bar with appearances by former Steelers players.

Steelers fans are being allowed to infiltrate M&T Bank Stadium because of disheartened fans such as William Price, a season-ticket holder since the Ravens' inaugural season in 1996.

Price, 45, a program manager from Leesburg, Va., who grew up in the Baltimore area, is trying to get double the face value on two tickets by selling them on StubHub.

"This season has been particularly embarrassing for the franchise," Price said. "It all started with the six turnovers in Cincinnati, and then to lose to Miami ... we haven't been ready to play, and that's the coach's responsibility. I appreciate Brian Billick for winning a Super Bowl, but I don't think he's the guy to get us there again."

Selling tickets to opposing fans is not a problem isolated to Baltimore.

Just this week, many New York Giants fans were hawking their tickets to New England Patriots fans who want to see their team try to finish a perfect regular season.

But Price said this is more of a way to protest than profit.

"We are all grateful for having a team, but I think we deserve a better product than what's been presented," he said. "It seems like everybody except the owner knows we need a new coach."

Ravens linebacker Terrell Suggs considers the fans who sell tickets traitors.

"That's a slap in the face," he said. "We still belong to the city of Baltimore. We don't belong to Pittsburgh. If they're selling their tickets to Steelers fans, maybe they should be Steelers fans. I don't know what to say to that."

When trying to predict Sunday's atmosphere, the Ravens' locker room is split.

There are some optimistic players who think Ravens fans will clearly outnumber those of the Steelers.

"I'm not even going to think about it because I know our fans will come out in multitudes," wide receiver Derrick Mason said. "They've supported us through it all, regardless of who we have played. They've gotten on our backs in the end, but our fans have supported us through this trying season. So I see it being the same."

To try to keep the home-field advantage, Mason offered some advice.

"So all you Ravens fans, if Pittsburgh fans ask you for tickets, say no. Say you don't have anymore. Say we're all sold out," he said. "They're going to have their fans, obviously, but our fans outweigh their fans."

If there is a heavy confluence of Steelers fans, it wouldn't anger some Ravens players.

"We haven't given the team and the fans what they deserve, which is high-quality football on a consistent basis," linebacker Bart Scott said. "We have some of the best fans in the world. You don't want to see a lot of Steelers fans out there, but I can understand. Nobody wants to sit out there and freeze their butt off when they already have an idea of how the outcome is going to come."

Billick, who told fans selling their tickets two years ago to get a premium price, wanted to stay out of the discussion this time.

"I'm past trying to figure out when [Steelers fans] come, when they don't come," Billick said. "They didn't come much last year. I don't know whether it was because they couldn't get tickets or they weren't interested."

Baltimore isn't the only NFL city that Steelers fans crash.

One of the most hard-core football followings in the nation, Steelers fans began showing up at road games by the thousands in the 1990s.

One theory is that the closing of the steel mills in Pittsburgh two decades ago caused a migration of Steelers fans across the country. That meant whenever the Steelers would visit that city, they would already have a built-in fan base.

Others believe the Steelers' Super Bowl success in the 1970s created a large national bandwagon, especially among teenagers. Now, those fans are in their 40s and 50s and are spending their income to cheer on the Steelers.

"Everywhere we go, there's always a ton of Steelers fans," said quarterback Ben Roethlisberger, who is unlikely to play Sunday. "Last week [in St. Louis against the Rams], it felt like a home game. And so it feels good to have the support."

That's why it wouldn't surprise many Ravens players to have a home-field disadvantage Sunday.

"This is an expensive ticket over a course of the season," kicker Matt Stover said. "I appreciate our fans and understand why they would do that. But then again, I wouldn't."

jamison.hensley@baltsun.com

Sun reporter Edward Lee contributed to this article.

Very laughable!:flap:

tony hipchest
12-28-2007, 07:28 PM
Ravens linebacker Terrell Suggs considers the fans who sell tickets traitors.

"That's a slap in the face," he said. "We still belong to the city of Baltimore. We don't belong to Pittsburgh. If they're selling their tickets to Steelers fans, maybe they should be Steelers fans. I don't know what to say to that."

Terrell Sucks needs to STFU.

that bastard cant tell me he wouldnt be the 1st to bolt for the patriots, if they offered him twice the amount of $$$ as baltimore, when his contract is up.

money talks, and bullshit walks.

and right now the money is talking to the fans with tickets, and the ravens are nothing but shit.

perhaps suggs should look in the mirror before he judges the hard working people (who afford him a lavish lifestyle that can include murdering people and getting off [bart] scott free) who dont wanna overpay for the pure crap the ravens have been delivering.

not like i give a crap about baltimore, their team, or fans :hunch: but neither does Teresa Suggs. the only way to make him care is to lock him in with either cash or fame.

they say a team takes on the personallity of their coach, which makes suggs arrogant and ****y accusations of the fans being "traitors" not suprising.

SteelCityMan786
12-28-2007, 07:45 PM
I should talk to my family about going to the game. I'll be in the area this weekend. lol.

The Duke
12-28-2007, 08:14 PM
I should talk to my family about going to the game. I'll be in the area this weekend. lol.

....be careful. lol :ak47:

revefsreleets
12-28-2007, 08:26 PM
What's the big deal? Did anyone expect these ex-Redskins fans to somehow become true and loyal Ravens fans? Baltimore is the tackiest and wackiest city in the US. Expecting some kind of consistency or loyalty out of those kooks is insane.

fansince'76
12-28-2007, 08:27 PM

....be careful. lol :ak47:

No lie, Duke - if you and your family do wind up going Matt, three words: kevlar flak jackets!

stillers4me
12-28-2007, 08:38 PM
Linebacker Bart Scott said, "We have some of the best fans in the world. You don't want to see a lot of Steelers fans out there, but I can understand. Nobody wants to sit out there and freeze their butt off when they already have an idea of how the outcome is going to come. We're going to lose, I guarantee it"

:chuckle:

Edman
12-28-2007, 10:11 PM
Even during our bad seasons, Steeler fans never bolted on the team like this. There may a lot of yellow seats here and there, but god forbid I ever see the day when opposing teams' fans take over Heinz Field.

The revenge from 2006 is not complete. The Steelers still have to dish out some payback in Craptimore. And after all that garbage the Rats said after the Monday Night massacre, I hope the Steelers smack them again.

FastWillieParker39
12-28-2007, 10:16 PM
I still don't feel good about this game. We never beat Baltimore AT Baltimore. In 04 when we went 15-1, our only loss? AT Baltimore. In 05 we won the SB, we still lost to Baltimore AT Baltimore.

Still don't feel that great with this game.

Galax Steeler
12-29-2007, 06:07 AM
I still don't feel good about this game. We never beat Baltimore AT Baltimore. In 04 when we went 15-1, our only loss? AT Baltimore. In 05 we won the SB, we still lost to Baltimore AT Baltimore.

Still don't feel that great with this game.

We can't loose forever up in baltimore I believe this is going to be the weekend.:tt02:

Stillers33
12-29-2007, 08:38 AM
ha they are that scared of us or did they just come to terms with the fact that last season was a flunk?

HometownGal
12-29-2007, 09:30 AM
We can't loose forever up in baltimore I believe this is going to be the weekend.:tt02:

The last time the Steelers won in Baltimore was in 2002 and the QB was . . . .

are you ready?

are you sure?

*gulp* *shake* *tell me it aint so* . . . . . . .

Tommy Maddox. :wink02:

aries4972
12-29-2007, 10:56 AM
This really makes you appreciate being a Steeler fan. bottom line..... another team taking over Heinz field WOULD NEVER HAPPEN !!!!!

iloveben7
12-29-2007, 01:33 PM
Those stupid idiots!!

SteelSurf
12-29-2007, 01:34 PM
I have seen more Steeler fans then home team fans at the following stadiums, Steelers vs LA Raiders,LA Coliseum. Steelers vs San Diego at the 'Murph' or Qualcomm Stadium. Steelers vs Cardinals at University of Phoenix 'bird nest'.

As a side note, going to a Faiders game is like hanging out in an excersise yard at a State prison. You will never find a more drunk,armed,criminal and gangbanging crowd anywhere in the NFL then those raider fans. Howie Long was once quoted as saying, "I will never allow my family to go to a raiders game"

TommyG
12-29-2007, 09:20 PM
I use to live in DC and went to a couple Steeler / Ravens games in Baltimore.....The Ratbird fans are idiots...Most of them are drunk before halftime and just yell and act like complete morons...The worst experience I have had at an away game....Made me feel uncomfortable walking around with the black and gold on....They like their knives in B-town....

Rhee Rhee
12-29-2007, 09:24 PM
haha just a scheduled game against the steelers strikes fear in fans and teams alike

SteelSurf
12-29-2007, 10:55 PM
Coach Tomlin, "Regardless of who is playing, we are the Pittsburgh Steelers."

Hamer
12-30-2007, 06:24 AM
Hysterical article!
... on a similar note, it seems the cincinnatti enquirer just stopped posting bungles updates after their loss to the Steelers. They actually have played a game, even won against the browns since then! Well who can blame them. I guess after getting a dose of Steeler football they all lost interest, and the fans never noticed....

http://news.enquirer.com/apps/pbcs.dll/section?Category=SPT02

Galax Steeler
12-30-2007, 07:03 AM
We will turn the ratbird stadium into a steeler fan stadium sunday evening we should have a good turn out for the game.

zoneblitz43
12-30-2007, 05:39 PM
Looks like our Steelers just threw in the towel. What a disgrace.

The_WARDen
12-30-2007, 05:47 PM
They threw in the towel and the bathtub... I didn't expect a win if the reserves were playing. However, MOST of the starters are playing and getting their brains beat in by nobodies....

Somehow Tomlin has turned a tough physical team into a non-aggressive passive team.