PDA

View Full Version : Parker Vs. Power

19ward86
12-28-2007, 07:04 PM
It might just be me but i think next season is a critical year for parker and the steelers, he is a great running back and he is one of the most talented players in the NFL. but on the other hand if we still have trouble running the ball consistently every game there could be a chance that we look toward a michael turner or a rookie. when you watch the chargers there is no question that LT is going to have a good game and season, that is consistence. yes i love willie as our running back but he runs for 150 against the 49ers(no he didnt) and then runs for 65 yds against the ravens, i understand that the ravens have a great defense but LT, LJ dont struggle vs many teams unless they have a bad O line that year.

fansince'76
12-28-2007, 07:07 PM
....but LT, LJ dont struggle vs many teams unless they have a bad O line that year.

Which is exactly what Willie is burdened with - a bad OL - one of the worst OLs I've seen a Steelers team field in many a year. I'd have to go back to the early-to-mid '80s to recall OL play as consistently piss-poor as I've seen from the Steelers this year.

The Duke
12-28-2007, 08:11 PM
Which is exactly what Willie is burdened with - a bad OL - one of the worst OLs I've seen a Steelers team field in many a year. I'd have to go back to the early-to-mid '80s to recall OL play as consistently piss-poor as I've seen from the Steelers this year.

yep. and it's all willie's fault :smile:

19ward86
12-28-2007, 09:01 PM
great point FS76, but even when he was fast willie(he is now balanced willie) he had trouble being consistent, that is why i think it is a critical season. i dont want to but a lineman or top pick in the draft isnt really hard to see happening, i think willie is top 2 in the league behind LT, just because LT has speed and power willie does but you know what i mean. i didnt say it was all willies fault and i know we have the 3rd best running game this year but 250yds this week and 100yds next week are good yards but 175 every game would be better.

fansince'76
12-28-2007, 09:10 PM
great point FS76, but even when he was fast willie(he is now balanced willie) he had trouble being consistent, that is why i think it is a critical season. i dont want to but a lineman or top pick in the draft isnt really hard to see happening, i think willie is top 2 in the league behind LT, just because LT has speed and power willie does but you know what i mean. i didnt say it was all willies fault and i know we have the 3rd best running game this year but 250yds this week and 100yds next week are good yards but 175 every game would be better.

Sorry, but LT has cracked 100 yards all of 6 times this season in 15 games, whereas Willie passed 100 yards in 8 games out of 14 - I'm not going to count the Rams game, as he broke his leg on his first carry. LT has a MUCH better OL in front of him to boot. This hasn't been a great year for RBs in general stats-wise.

Preacher
12-28-2007, 09:13 PM
Sorry, but LT has cracked 100 yards all of 6 times this season in 15 games, whereas Willie passed 100 yards in 8 games out of 14 - I'm not going to count the Rams game, as he broke his leg on his first carry. LT has a MUCH better OL in front of him to boot. This hasn't been a great year for RBs in general stats-wise.

Very true.

GBMelBlount
12-28-2007, 09:19 PM

I mean really, Maddox went from comeback player of the year to 75 QB rating & Bettis was a hair over 3 yards per carry last time line was this bad IMO. All things considered, Willie ( & Ben) have done damn well this year. Fix the line.

tony hipchest
12-28-2007, 09:24 PM

sorry, but im not sure if anybody knows what you mean.

theres more to football than playing madden on nintendo and reading a crappy fantasy forcast magazine.

in his last 2 games (before breaking his leg) parker had 100 yds against the patriots and jacksonville. WTF more do you want????

fansince'76
12-28-2007, 09:29 PM
in his last 2 games (before breaking his leg) parker had 100 yds against the patriots and jacksonville.

Exactly - LT faced both Jax and NE earlier this season himself and went 16-62 (3.9 YPC) and 18-43 (2.4 YPC) against them, respectively, and again, behind a better OL and an excellent FB in Lorenzo Neal. The Carey Davis at FB experiment has been a failure, IMO.

83-Steelers-43
12-28-2007, 09:36 PM
Did Willie Parker join this board when I was on vacation and insult some of these people's mothers and I'm just not aware of it?

How a running back can be criticized while leading the league in rushing for the majority of the season while playing behind a horrible o-line is beyond my understanding. I guess if his name is not Jerome Bettis and weighs under 250....

fansince'76
12-28-2007, 09:38 PM
I mean really, Maddox went from comeback player of the year to 75 QB rating & Bettis was a hair over 3 yards per carry last time line was this bad IMO. All things considered, Willie ( & Ben) have done damn well this year. Fix the line.

By 2003, the Bus was well past his prime and Maddox was a statue in the pocket and afraid of his own shadow - if Maddox had to play behind the OL the Steelers had this year, he would have already broken David Carr's record for most QB sacks in a season.

tony hipchest
12-28-2007, 09:41 PM
Exactly - LT faced both Jax and NE earlier this season himself and went 16-62 (3.9 YPC) and 18-43 (2.4 YPC) against them, respectively, and again, behind a better OL and an excellent FB in Lorenzo Neal. The Carey Davis at FB experiment has been a failure, IMO.
not to mention the egg lt laid vs. the bears in the opener.

its as simple as looking at LT and LJ's stats vs a top notch run defense such as the steelers. even when they put up league leading stats and seasons, they still look average against pittsburgh.

a good rushing defense shuts down good running backs, or else they wouldnt be known as good defenses.

Galax Steeler
12-29-2007, 06:12 AM
If we had a good offensive line willie would have really stacked up alot of yards considering what he is running behind I think he has done one hell of a job.

Rhee Rhee
12-29-2007, 09:16 PM

Carey davis maybe listed as fullback but he sure was not used as it... he was never a lead blocking fullbacck so you cannot count that... in addition i sort of agree with
19ward86... im not saying just completely let go of willie and forever banish him from steeler land... i think a RBBC with a much more physical runner would do us good.... im kinda hoping we have a similar running game to the jags... power runners... that have some speed...

Preacher
12-29-2007, 09:20 PM
Carey davis maybe listed as fullback but he sure was not used as it... he was never a lead blocking fullbacck so you cannot count that... in addition i sort of agree with
19ward86... im not saying just completely let go of willie and forever banish him from steeler land... i think a RBBC with a much more physical runner would do us good.... im kinda hoping we have a similar running game to the jags... power runners... that have some speed...

Why? How many SB's did we win with power running as our forte? None. The first year we had a speed back... we won... and if you don't remember... it was that very speed back that broke the game for us.

I like having a powerback... but for change of pace... or to shut down a game in the second half. Otherwise, we are going back in time.

fansince'76
12-29-2007, 09:30 PM
Carey davis maybe listed as fullback but he sure was not used as it... he was never a lead blocking fullbacck so you cannot count that....

Probably because he can't block, which kinda defeats the purpose of having a FB, does it not? You think putting Davis in as a FB and putting Kreider on the bench was a good move?

in addition i sort of agree with

That's kinda why we got Davenport. You realize that power backs with the longevity of a Bus are extremely rare, don't you? Most of them are lucky to last more than 3 years. Fred Taylor is 6'-1" and 228 lbs - Parker is 5'-10" and 209 - not all that much difference in bulk there, when you consider the 3-inch height difference. The Bus is gone and he's not coming back - get over it.

moedap
12-30-2007, 06:39 AM

It hasnt IMO. Willie was getting the same kind of yards this year as last year. Carey Davis also had to deal with a pourous O Line that Krieder didnt have to deal with. There have been numerous plays where the Mahan has been totally obliterated up the middle. Instead of Carey getting a helmet on the LB at the line of scrimmage he has had to deal with them in the backfield. I would say the utilization of C.D. has not lived up to what was said in the beginning of the year.

Bill
12-30-2007, 10:37 AM
I think the 0-line might be better at run blocking than pass blocking. Now it looks like they will lose Faneca after the season. Davenport will fill in for Parker fine throughout the playoffs, but I am more worried about Big Ben's long-term health. He gets hit way too much. The had better use their first draft picks on good linemen.