PDA

View Full Version : Will Batch find success in his 1st start of the season?

tony hipchest
12-28-2007, 10:11 PM
i know preseason dont mean squat but it can be a good indicator.

in the preseason this year, the 4 highest rated passers were kurt warner, charlie batch, david gerrard, and ben roethlisberger....

3 back ups and 1 starter (at the time). of course now, 3 of the 4 are starters.

ben is 2nd to only tom brady.

gerrard is top 5 and warner is #10.

the indicators say batch will do just fine. i just hope its enough to overcome what indicators say will be troy smiths career day. :dang:

Galax Steeler
12-29-2007, 06:14 AM
I think batch could have a good game baltimores top two corners out with injuries if given time he could lite them up.

HometownGal
12-29-2007, 07:44 AM
If Charlie takes on Ben's former role as "game manager" :chuckle: :wink02:, doesnt try to force his throws and keep them simple, and leaves his happy feet in the locker room, he'll be just fine. :thumbsup:

GBMelBlount
12-29-2007, 08:07 AM
If Charlie takes on Ben's former role as "game manager" :chuckle: :wink02:, doesnt try to force his throws and keep them simple, and leaves his happy feet in the locker room, he'll be just fine. :thumbsup:

:iagree:

As long as he survives the obligatory 5 QB sacks per game!

RoethlisBURGHer
12-29-2007, 08:55 AM
If he can get rid of the ball before he gets demolished by a defensive player, I think he will be fine.

SteelSurf
12-29-2007, 09:21 AM
I can think of of at least five teams who would start Batch and be better for it. But as another poster has said, can he take the obligatory 5 sacks like Big Ben? Ahhh, brutal.

she_had_man_hands
12-29-2007, 11:39 AM
Baltimore still has a good pass rush. He could be running for his life all game.

SteelersMongol
12-29-2007, 11:44 AM
I don't think Batch had ever let us down when his # was called. I'm sure he'll do fine.

stillers4me
12-29-2007, 11:49 AM
Honestly, I don't really know what to expect from this game. Both teams have major injury issues. The Steelers are clearly the better team when considered healthy and whole. A good chunk of our starters are out of the season and the other half are the walking wounded.

I'd clearly prefer to lose this game than risk any of our guys to a career ending injury.
I believe Charlie can get the job done......but he's going to need plenty of help.

Stlrs4Life
12-29-2007, 01:08 PM
I beleive Charlie will be fine. It's just been a long time since he has played.

19ward86
12-29-2007, 01:14 PM
garrard has a better rating than ben right now. charlie batch was fantastic last year, since he has been with us for what 4-5 seasons now he knows our style, and our playbook so when given a good amount of playing time he can do wonders, i can see him as a 49er, or even a brown next season(through trading).im making a bet that cedrick wilson will have the best game of our recievers on sunday.

iloveben7
12-29-2007, 01:22 PM
Ben still has a higher QB rating than Garrad. Ben has a 104.1 and Garrad has a 102.2. I think Charlie will do just fine. The only thing I'm worried about is the sacks because he can't scramble like Ben.

stillers4me
12-29-2007, 01:26 PM
If the rumors are true, and the guys don't like Ben, maybe Charlie won't need to scramble like Ben does..........

:stirthepot:

iloveben7
12-29-2007, 01:27 PM
^I know Faneca doesn't really like Ben because he thought Ben couldn't do anything his rookie season. I think another reason is that Ben's taking Faneca's contract.

SteelDogFan
12-29-2007, 03:20 PM
The truth of the matter is Batch could be a starter for some teams in this league.

Miami, Atlanta, Baltimore, KC, Chicago, Carolina, NYJ, Oakland, 49ers.

He sometimes has a bad game but for the most hes a 80-85 QB. Good accurracy, good arm strength and patient. At times I believe he goes through his progressions better than Ben.

beSteelmyheart
12-29-2007, 06:53 PM
I'm just glad that Charlie has had time to practice instead of having to come in after a sudden injury mid-game. Although I'm also worried about him having to run for his life, I'm sure he'll be fine.

Preacher
12-29-2007, 07:49 PM
I don't know.

When Batch came in last time against the Ravens... he threw an interception and generally stalled the offense.

Hopefully it was just a little rust that has come off in practice.

Rhee Rhee
12-29-2007, 09:19 PM
warner at number 10.... there's a huge drop off i talent once you step away from the top 5...

anyway batch will do fine... as long as our run game gets going...

chrismartin99
12-30-2007, 08:04 AM
Baltimore still has a good pass rush. He could be running for his life all game.

Yep. Might as well have my 4 month old on the o-line. :coffee:

Elvis
12-30-2007, 08:11 AM
:coffee:
I myself am glad to see the Steelers resting Ben today. And I think that Batch will do fine and I hope that our oline can get some running room for Najeh and we stay healthy in this game that doesnt really mean that much.
:tt02:

Moonlite37
12-30-2007, 09:30 AM
When Charlie Batch throws a big ole pass Hines Ward's smilin like a cat somebody say "OH YEAH"! CHARLIE CAN DO IT!:tt02:

HometownGal
12-30-2007, 11:10 AM
The truth of the matter is Batch could be a starter for some teams in this league.

Miami, Atlanta, Baltimore, KC, Chicago, Carolina, NYJ, Oakland, 49ers.

He sometimes has a bad game but for the most hes a 80-85 QB. Good accurracy, good arm strength and patient. At times I believe he goes through his progressions better than Ben.

While I totally disagree that Batch could be a starter in the NFL (if that was so - he sure wouldn't have been playing behind Ben for all of these years), I do believe he is one of the more capable backups in the NFL. Sure he has a bad game once in a while - don't they all? I also don't agree that he possesses good arm strength, but 99% of the time, he gets the job done which is really all you can ask of your backup QB. :thumbsup:

HometownGal
12-30-2007, 11:10 AM
When Charlie Batch throws a big ole pass Hines Ward's smilin like a cat somebody say "OH YEAH"! CHARLIE CAN DO IT!:tt02:

I don't believe Hines is playing today, but it is a nice thought! :tt02:

steelpride12
12-30-2007, 11:28 AM
Batch will have just an Ok game and slip out with the win because of the injuries of the two corners for Baltimore.
Im more looking at the big defensive game we could have with them having Troy Smith a QB, Musa Smith at RB and Heap being out once again could be a big day.
just one thing i ask for, NO MORE INJURIES!