PDA

View Full Version : Marv admits "It's time to blow the whole thing up"

stillers4me
12-29-2007, 11:12 AM
Q: Five years as coach probably puts you in the top half of the league in terms of longevity. Are you as energized as ever?

A: Oh yeah, I am. Every year is a new year and provides new chal-lenges. They all become the history of the last one. You've got to use it and move forward and move on. It's time for us to blow the whole thing up and start from scratch. We need to empty these shelves, empty these offices and start from scratch.

Q: Really?

A: Yeah, because we haven't been good enough. We're not going to sit here and be complacent with it, and guys have to understand that. It hasn't been good enough.

Q: When you say blow it up…

A: We've got to start from scratch. We have to blow it up and empty everything. Just like new people walking in this door and go from there. That's the only way we're going to shake away from the cobwebs. We've established a certain plateau or work ethic and we've got to move beyond that.

So Marv.......you've built this team yourself over the last five years and now you admit that you've failed and need to start all over from scratch............and you still expect to have a job next year???????? :dang:

Here's the rest of the story.........

http://www.dispatch.com/live/content/bengals/stories/2007/12/29/bengals1229.ART_ART_12-29-07_C1_148TJJK.html?sid=101

HometownGal
12-29-2007, 11:34 AM
We need to empty these shelves, empty these offices and start from scratch.

Yep - sure do. Starting with YOU, Marv. Picklehead.

touchdownward
12-29-2007, 11:49 AM
I don't know how many years are left on Marvin's contract, but, rest assured, he'll be there for the duration. Bung fans still pack PBS or at least sell their tickets off to opposing teams:wink02:, so Mike Brown is happy. He won't ticker with it if he's making money.

They have the crappiest Ownership/Management group in the entire NFL. Bad thing for them, good thing for us. :tt02:

MACH1
12-29-2007, 11:53 AM
http://borgman.enquirer.com/img/daily/1999/11/110399borgman_600x391.jpg

fansince'76
12-29-2007, 11:54 AM
I read the whole interview - the guy has no clue. :dang:

stillers4me
12-29-2007, 12:03 PM
I read the whole interview - the guy has no clue. :dang:

The fans at the Bungles site thinks it's great article!! :flap:

The seem to forget that last Monday, Marv did an interview and said nothing was going to change.
Now he wants to blow it all up and start from scratch. Must be a Christmas miracle or something........ :sofunny:

Atlanta Dan
12-29-2007, 12:24 PM
Wonder if he had been drinking when he gave the interview? Marvin did not trash Chad completely and was not asked about Housh - wonder who the players are who complain about their contracts within "their groups"?

If I was either of the coordinators I would have inquiries out to other teams for my next job. It is easier to fire coaches than cut starters and take a cap hit (but Chris Henry apparently is gone if Marvin stays)

I know the Steelers have a brutal schedule next year but the Bengals and Ravens are a wreck (+ Parcells allegedly is interested in both Derek Anderson & Romeo Crennel) - 9-7 may win the AFC North in 2008

83-Steelers-43
12-29-2007, 02:15 PM
That's the only way we're going to shake away from the cobwebs.

Or you can stop drafting thugs and then turning around and making excuses for them when they get arrested or suspended? Just an idea. Much like that organization as a whole, that man is clueless.

RoethlisBURGHer
12-29-2007, 02:24 PM
I don't want to read the entire article.

The owner is a jackass. Mike Brown should change his last name because he disgraces his father's last name. His father IS FOOTBALL in the state of Ohio. He turned Massilon High School into a powerhouse, coached the Ohio State Buckeyes to their first ever National Championship, was the Browns coach when the dominated the AFL or whatever they were in and then kept the dominance going when they first joined the NFL, then when fArt Modell fired him he created the semi-pro Cincinnati Bengals. Mike Brown is only in it for the money, I doubt he cares about winning the Super Bowl, much less the division.

I don't even know if they have a GM. But I do know their scouting department is the smallest in the NFL. That is a big part of the reason why they have all those troubled players. The scouting staff is too small to find the character players with talent, so they go for the talented players with no character.

Marvin Lewis, the head coach, has been an enabler of the negative behavior on the Bengals. He won't punish the criminals, but he won't make them take the blame. Instead, he makes excuses which enables them to do more stupid things. I also think he won't let the supposed leaders of the team lead. I have a feeling that Carson Palmer wants to call out that locker room, but I doubt Lewis would let him.

Palmer's whining after a loss with his "we're the better team" bullcrap doesn't help the matters. Crotcho Stinko's me-me-me antics help even less. And TJ Whouzurmomma, his smug attitude is just as bad.

Combine all that, and you have the powder keg we all call the Shitsinnati Bungles.

Edman
12-29-2007, 06:12 PM
You have to feel sorry for Golden Boy Cartoon Palmer. He signed a bigtime contract to stay in Cincy not too long ago. Now he's been exposed in this mediocre season as a choke artist. He'll be a Bungle till the end.:toofunny:

"Team to beat in the AFC North" eh, Carson? Lol.

stillers4me
12-29-2007, 06:15 PM
You have to feel sorry for Golden Boy Cartoon Palmer. He signed a bigtime contract to stay in Cincy not too long ago. Now he's been exposed in this mediocre season as a choke artist. He'll be a Bungle till the end.:toofunny:

10 years!! :toofunny:

RoethlisBURGHer
12-29-2007, 06:34 PM
10 years!! :toofunny:

I wouldn't wish that upon my worst enemy............................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .............................Who am I kidding? Yes I would!

CantStop85
12-29-2007, 08:51 PM
Marvin Lewis wants a general manager and an actual scouting department...it won't be long before he and Mike Brown are butting heads.

You can bash Marvin Lewis all you want, but Mike Brown is the reason the Bengals franchise has been such a mess.

ShutDown24
12-29-2007, 08:56 PM
Marvin Lewis wants a general manager and an actual scouting department...it won't be long before he and Mike Brown are butting heads.

You can bash Marvin Lewis all you want, but Mike Brown is the reason the Bengals franchise has been such a mess.

I hope the Bengals ownership feels the same way, please keep Marvin around! :toofunny::toofunny::toofunny:

CantStop85
12-29-2007, 11:01 PM
I hope the Bengals ownership feels the same way, please keep Marvin around! :toofunny::toofunny::toofunny:

It's funny how people have such short-term memories.

The Bengals are losing and making bad personnel moves...it must be Marvin Lewis's fault...and Dick LeBeau's...and Bruce Coslet's....and Dave Shula's.

Does no one ever find it funny that the year Mike Brown takes ownership is the point from which the Bengals fully fall from grace? Mike Brown takes over in 1991. The Bengals record in the 16 years before then: 127-115 (53% win) . Their record in the 16 years after then: 126-166 (43% win).

The Bengals will have a few winning seasons here and there but until Mike Brown either croaks or has an epiphany and completely changes his philosophy, the franchise will remain unstable.

stillers4me
12-29-2007, 11:03 PM
It's funny how people have such short-term memories.

The Bengals are losing and making bad personnel moves...it must be Marvin Lewis's fault...and Dick LeBeau's...and Bruce Coslet's....and Dave Shula's.

Does no one ever find it funny that the year Mike Brown takes ownership is the point from which the Bengals fully fall from grace? Mike Brown takes over in 1991. The Bengals record in the 16 years before then: 127-115 (53% win) . Their record after then: 126-166 (43% win).

The Bengals will have a few winning seasons here and there but until Mike Brown either croaks or has an epiphany and completely changes his philosophy, the franchise will remain unstable.

I have to agree with you about Mike Brown. However.....Marv ain't the brightest bulb in the box.

And unfortunately for Bengals fans, Mike Brown isn't going anywhere. As long as you guys keep buying tickets and selling out games, he's a successful businessman.

That's why I love the Rooney's. They actually care about the success of the team. Sucks to be a Bengals fan.

Mosca
12-30-2007, 09:57 AM

Well, they were the team to beat.... so everyone beat them.

Mosca
12-30-2007, 10:08 AM
OK, I read the article. Honestly, it sounds like a lot of ranting and finger pointing, all hot air and no substance. It's obvious that the team is a failure; the game film is their legacy, after all. So by pointing out the obvious, Lewis is attempting to remove himself from the picture as part of the problem, over to the side of the solution.

I'm not impressed. Any football fan could have answered those questions the same way. The difference is that he had the opportunity to do something about it, and didn't.

lamberts-lost-tooth
12-30-2007, 10:18 AM
Lewis: Not so fast
Coaching changes unlikely
BY MARK CURNUTTE | MCURNUTTE@ENQUIRER.COM
Thursday, December 27, 2007

The level of change coming to the Bengals this offseason probably won't match the level of disappointment expressed by many of the team's customers after the team slumped to the franchise's 16th non-winning season in the past 17 years.

Head coach Marvin Lewis on Wednesday said little would happen and criticized The Enquirer for an analysis story published Tuesday morning that spelled out possible changes on the coaching staff and roster....

At what point will these Bengal Fans quit making excuses for Marvin and hold him accountable for being the biggest user of "doublespeak" in the NFL.

16 losing seasons in 17 years.

4 losing seasons out of 5 under Lewis (dont give me the "tie" speach)

This guy has done NOTHING to warrant the fans giving him a "bye" on his talking out of both sides of his face.

MOSCA-So by pointing out the obvious, Lewis is attempting to remove himself from the picture as part of the problem, over to the side of the solution

EXACTLY!!!

stillers4me
12-30-2007, 11:17 AM
Marvin Lewis is the king of double speak.

Earlier this week, he said the media was blowing the whole Chad Johnson thing out of proportion and that he wasn't going anywhere. Today, he said that he is concerned about Chad ripping up his contract and threatening to go elsewhere.

That's at least the third time he's changed his opinion on something just this week.

Atlanta Dan
12-30-2007, 12:35 PM

Marvin might be trolling for Brown to fire him, but with his less than sterling record of winning or for that matter controlling his team my bet is his next job will be as a D coordinator - Marvin is this generation's Ray Rhodes - an excellent coordinator who does not cut it as a HC

revefsreleets
12-31-2007, 08:27 AM
I'm sorry, but I'm still stuck on a Bengal threatening to "Blow it all up".

Have the authorities been contacted about this?

Atlanta Dan
12-31-2007, 09:20 AM
Peter King seems to think the Bengals may be blowing it up but that it may include Marvin being blown away

Chad Johnson, by the way, sounds like a man who wants out. Wouldn't be surprised -- nor would several of my NBC peers -- if Bill Parcells, who is not afraid of bigmouths, deals his first pick in the third round to Cincinnati for Johnson....

I think the two places to keep an eye on this week regarding coaching changes are Cincinnati and San Francisco. We know Atlanta, and probably Miami, will be open. After that, Marvin Lewis and Bengals ownership will meet early in the week, as will Mike Nolan and Niner ownership. I could see Lewis finding his way out if he can't get rid of the troublemakers. .

http://si.printthis.clickability.com/pt/cpt?action=cpt&title=SI.com+-+Writers+-+Monday+Morning+QB+%28cont.%29+-+Monday+December+31%2C+2007+9%3A03AM&expire=-1&urlID=25622032&fb=Y&url=http%3A%2F%2Fsportsillustrated.cnn.com%2F2007% 2Fwriters%2Fpeter_king%2F12%2F30%2Fweek17%2F1.html&partnerID=2356

CantStop85
01-01-2008, 04:44 PM
Chad Johnson, by the way, sounds like a man who wants out. Wouldn't be surprised -- nor would several of my NBC peers -- if Bill Parcells, who is not afraid of bigmouths, deals his first pick in the third round to Cincinnati for Johnson....

Chad Johnson for a third round pick? The Bengals front office is stupid...but they're not that stupid.

Atlanta Dan
01-01-2008, 04:49 PM
Chad Johnson for a third round pick? The Bengals front office is stupid...but they're not that stupid.

So the Bengals hold out for the Dolphins #1 pick?:smile:

If you think a player is a potential team cancer you just give him away (e.g. - Randy Moss)

Johnson certainly has more years left than Joey Porter did, but the Steelers released Porter to avoid a potential problem in Tomlin's first year

Preacher
01-01-2008, 04:58 PM
Peter King seems to think the Bengals may be blowing it up but that it may include Marvin being blown away

You know... the more I see our QB, the more I see our top two receivers.. I can't help to think about what would happen if we brought Johnson in, sat him down and said.. If you can sit down, shut up, and become a team player like Moss did in New England, we will give you a shot here.

There is just a little part of me that thinks this kid can really turn a corner on a team that stresses discipline.

However, I know he won't even be thought of for the Steelers, not with the stuff he pulls in Cincy, and not with the ignorance he pulls with the fans (a la cheating people out of a raffle prize).

Atlanta Dan
01-01-2008, 06:07 PM
Apparently Carson Palmer thinks it is time to blow it all up too, but he is referring to the coaching staff.

This losing season sure got the Cincinnati Bengals’ attention, especially quarterback Carson Palmer.

For the first time under coach Marvin Lewis, the Bengals took a big step backward. Their 7-9 finish was a stark reminder that there are long-standing problems with the franchise that haven’t been resolved.

Asked on Monday whether he thought the current coaching staff could take this team to the next level, Palmer said, “I don’t think so.”

"If I'm asked my opinion, I'll be more than happy to give it," Palmer said, the Bengals Web site reported. "I haven't been. This isn't my team. I'm the quarterback. If I can help in any way, I'd love to. I think I can be a valuable help and if a situation comes up, I'll help out."

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/22463467/

Go ahead Carson - help out "your ship" by bitching to the media .

If the Crennel rumors to Miami pan out, Tomlin may be the dean of AFC North coaches in a few weeks:sofunny: