PDA

View Full Version : Do we have to lose?

Edman
12-29-2007, 11:42 PM
After seeing hideous history being made tonight, It just begs the question about our Steelers in the playoffs...

Do we have to lose? Must we?

"Our coach is a rookie, the Defense lost it's swagger, the O-Line is porous, Jacksonville is hot, Pittsburgh is cold, Steelers backed in, Can't beat the Pats, Can't stop Fred Taylor..."

That's the vibe I'm getting, not from the talking heads, but I've been hearing whispers of doubt. Our team is flawed and there are numerous issues, but are these flaws THAT fatal that the Steelers don't stand a chance in the playoffs? Is this year's playoff appearance all for not? No. It'll be tough, but we may as well try.

Mike Tomlin is a rookie coach, but I don't buy a reason why this team can't go all the way or at least deep in the playoffs. Why not?

fansince'76
12-29-2007, 11:49 PM
The biggest obstacle I see for us, besides the horrible OL play, is that at times this team has seemed to lack a sense of urgency. That sense of urgency must be present in the playoffs, because if it isn't, it'll mean a 6-month vacation. Before anybody jumps Tomlin's ass for not going all the way should we get knocked out, please bear in mind that Cowher didn't get his first win in the playoffs until his third season as coach, and the Steelers qualified for the postseason in all of Cowher's first three years as HC. Food for thought.

Steeldude
12-30-2007, 12:30 AM
edman, any team can go all the way.

MACH1
12-30-2007, 12:31 AM
Hmmmm...Maybe their saving some stuff for the playoffs that they haven't showed us yet. Ya know all the stuff they have on the books and have practiced but haven't used yet. LOL

As long as we can do a little damage in the playoffs I think it would be considered a productive first year.

Along with the AFCN title...

GeneralRobinson
12-30-2007, 05:33 AM
One positive sign is the sense of urgency offensively seemed to be there against St. Louis.

Steelerfan93
12-30-2007, 06:15 AM
yea I half to Agree we Seemed to Step it up on the OFfense in the Rams Game, I don't see the Jaguars Beating us in the playoffs and the Pats we can beat them again Remeber the Colts

moedap
12-30-2007, 06:31 AM
I finally watched the Jags game and u know what it wasnt as horrible of a game as I was led to believe by some of the posts. Granted the run D was horrible but I dont see our ends getting pushed around like that again. Offense linemen love slippery fields. That wont happen again.

Galax Steeler
12-30-2007, 06:57 AM
we do have a chance to go deep in the playoffs look what we did two years ago when we were underdogs superbowl victory.

Atlanta Dan
12-30-2007, 07:48 AM
The Steelers now have lost 4 starters including 2 key players on the OL and DL + a Pro Bowl RB - even with the brilliance of Bruce Arians, if this current roster played a 16 game schedule I am not certain it would make the playoffs.

I of course will be rooting hard for the Steelers next weekend against Jax (no way the Chargers lose to the Raiders today) but the silver lining of a Jax win will be that IMO Jax can give the Pats a better game, especially if the weather is bad in Foxborough.

chrismartin99
12-30-2007, 08:01 AM
The Steelers now have lost 4 starters including 2 key players on the OL and DL + a Pro Bowl RB - even with the brilliance of Bruce Arians, if this current roster played a 16 game schedule I am not certain it would make the playoffs.

I of course will be rooting hard for the Steelers next weekend against Jax (no way the Chargers lose to the Raiders today) but the silver lining of a Jax win will be that IMO Jax can give the Pats a better game, especially if the weather is bad in Foxborough.

Agreed. I'm just happy we got to the playoffs and we didn't have a suck year last 06'. If someone could guarantee me that the Pats would not win the Super Bowl if the Steelers lost in the playoffs, I'd gladly take the loss. It would be worth it to see Brady and his idiot coach walk off the field losers with no 4th ring. We still have a chance, just like everyone, but at this point I do not care at all who wins the sb, as long as it's not those cheating mother$*(&^%@#.

Elvis
12-30-2007, 08:04 AM
:coffee:
How can anyone sit and watch this season and the way things have gone and say that this has been a dissapointing season? Not me... Tomlin has came in and done a nice job I think. Now, do I think that we can beat the Jaguars next weekend? yes.. do I think they will? no. I honestly dont think that this is the year of the Steelers like we all wish it would be. This team is not the team that we had 3 years ago. Not even close in my mind. Big Ben is on his way up the Star Podum Pole and I am looking forward to seeing him have the time that Brady has in the pocket to pass. The Steelers must work on the Oline and our ILB's in the offseason and the Steelers can make a big splash next season.... Meanwhile ... Lets make some waves this season in the play-offs and give whoever we play the hard nosed smash mouth game that they should expect from the Steelers...
:tt02:

TommyG
12-30-2007, 08:24 AM
I think we can beat the Jags....We have not played a really good all around game in awhile...We are due...I say one win in the playoffs and a close loss to the Pats...But you have to believe they could make a run...If the OL shows up...Our WR catch the ball...Our Special Teams start making plays...You never know

desertsteel
12-30-2007, 10:24 AM
once we're in... anything can happen

Bill
12-30-2007, 10:49 AM
I think it is good that everyone is overlooking the Steelers in the playoffs. Most people seem to forget the Steelers won a Superbowl more recently than the cheater Patriots. It might actually be a good thing to have Davenport as the starting RB. If the Steelers can pound it inside and force teams to stack the line, then it might open things up for Big Ben.