PDA

View Full Version : Why bother

The_WARDen
12-30-2007, 05:39 PM
showing up today?

No reserves in on D and the Felons running through them at will...even no name RBs...where the h*ll is the pride?

Heaven help us if Ben gets hurt for any length of time because Batch is a waste...talk about a rubberband arm on that pick!!!

Why get off the bus? Better yet....why aren't the rookies and backups in there on defense, at least maybe they'd care.

zoneblitz43
12-30-2007, 05:41 PM
I agree, what an awful performance. The Steelers are playing with no pride or effort. I don't even care about the playoffs, because I know we are one and done.

zoneblitz43
12-30-2007, 05:47 PM
I don't understand what has happened to this team. The defense has gone from the best defense in the league to a complete joke. The last few games have made us look like fools. I still love this team, and no matter what will cheer and root for them, but our problems go far beyond our o-line. I am so disappointed, and this team needs some serious rebuilding. Apparently Ben's performance is our only chance to win anymore.

The_WARDen
12-30-2007, 05:48 PM
My only question is how bad are Woodley and Timmons to not be playing major minutes in this fiasco???

:dang:

Edman
12-30-2007, 05:53 PM
Mark it down. Fred Taylor and Maurice Jones-Drew will run for another 200 yards next week. This team has no sense of pride, emotion, or physical swagger Steeler teams had in the past. It seems to me that only Ben has that competitive "hate to lose" edge, even when the Steelers were losing, he never gave up. This team quits.

Tomlin preaches violence, but it seems these guys don't get it. One and done in the playoffs. They're too beat up and their flame has gone out. The Steelers have frozen stiff at the worst possible time.

Props to Mike Tomlin for getting SOMETHING out of this team and winning a division title, but watching this team falter has been pretty miserable and frustrating to watch. The misery ends next week. Unless this team catches fire in a span of the next few days, I see no more reason to believe Dec. 16th will not repeat itself.

Steel_Bus_24
12-30-2007, 05:58 PM
Yeah Our D has been mediocre at best over the last 4 weeks and downright pitiful in certain situations like Giving up 3rd and longs to Draws. They sit there and wait to be hit instead of attacking the ball....and if they do attack they miss the tackle or try to tackle guys like Taylor and Jackson High....a big no no.

Its down right disgusting watching them give up that many rushing yards.

I love my team with a passion but they are playing horrible on D, and there is no chance we will beat the Jags with that level of discipline.

Not to mention the penalties

Steel_Bus_24
12-30-2007, 06:10 PM
There were cracks even before we lost Smith, like in the Jets game...but losing him has just blown the lid off it. They are so undisciplined in their gaps..how many times are you going to let a RB cutback on you.

IamTheSteelGod
12-30-2007, 06:28 PM
Another factor has been Polomalu, he has played shite the last two years since he got injured. Smith mayby a bit of a noob but atleast he has heart.

rpv
12-30-2007, 06:32 PM
I think it now shows having a rookie coach at the helm. THere is no passion with the players. They look unprepared at each game. The team that did not have a 100yrd rusher for >40games now has close to 3 200yrd rushers. It is depressing.

I dont think Tomlin is preparing this team well. It goes to show how they play down to the opposition.

fansince'76
12-30-2007, 06:33 PM
I think it now shows having a rookie coach at the helm. THere is no passion with the players. They look unprepared at each game. The team that did not have a 100yrd rusher for >40games now has close to 3 200yrd rushers. It is depressing.

I dont think Tomlin is preparing this team well. It goes to show how they play down to the opposition.

As opposed to last year, when the team was pretty much out of the hunt by Halloween with a lame duck veteran HC? Yeah, this year has been such a disappointment in comparison. :coffee:

Preacher
12-30-2007, 06:34 PM

I don't think it has anything to do with Tomlin. It is the players not executing... and maybe the DC not calling the best plays.

CASTEEL
12-30-2007, 06:42 PM
The defensive play is so very disappointing.... I wish there were some hope for next weekend, but how do you try to find some with the way they've played .... very disappointing....

Steeldude
12-30-2007, 06:44 PM
Yeah Our D has been mediocre at best over the last 4 weeks and downright pitiful in certain situations like Giving up 3rd and longs to Draws. They sit there and wait to be hit instead of attacking the ball....

the defense has been mediocre all season. it's called a benefitting from weak schedule. it's not surprising at all. you have to expect it when you have mostly average to below average players lining up. this defensive scheme only works when you have good to great LBs.

your comment on waiting to be hit instead of attacking describes foote perfectly.

also, the defense needs an intelligent leader(s). they have not had one since the mid-90's. does anyone on the steelers defense have a clue on reading draws or covering TEs in the redzone?

Steel_Bus_24
12-30-2007, 06:51 PM
I really want to believe our D will start to play but I've watched them give up the same BS for weeks now...Ben playing out of his mind from here on out is our only hope to make even a whisper in the Playoffs this year let alone some serious noise.

If any team can come out of nowhere and win it all...its the Steelers though.

shevdog
12-30-2007, 06:55 PM
Why was Batch throwing deep like that? A couple deep throws, ok, yet there was time on the clock for some sideline passes. Batch is a good backup, yet that is why he is not the starter.

HometownGal
12-30-2007, 06:58 PM
It is the players not executing... and maybe the DC not calling the best plays.

Ding, ding, ding - we have a winner! :cheers:

Execution is 90% of the battle. I also believe that most of our opponents have figured out and are counteracting most of our blitzing schemes. Dick needs to go back into his laboratory and whip up some new coverages - fast and in a hurry.

ShutDown24
12-30-2007, 07:00 PM
Mark it down. Fred Taylor and Maurice Jones-Drew will run for another 200 yards next week. This team has no sense of pride, emotion, or physical swagger Steeler teams had in the past. It seems to me that only Ben has that competitive "hate to lose" edge, even when the Steelers were losing, he never gave up. This team quits.

Tomlin preaches violence, but it seems these guys don't get it. One and done in the playoffs. They're too beat up and their flame has gone out. The Steelers have frozen stiff at the worst possible time.

Props to Mike Tomlin for getting SOMETHING out of this team and winning a division title, but watching this team falter has been pretty miserable and frustrating to watch. The misery ends next week. Unless this team catches fire in a span of the next few days, I see no more reason to believe Dec. 16th will not repeat itself.

Marked, and I will bring it up when it fails to happen :cheers:.

Edman
12-30-2007, 07:06 PM
Marked, and I will bring it up when it fails to happen :cheers:.

Deal. When it doesn't happen, I'll be willing to take my big heaping plate of crow. But not even the biggest optimist can see that the Defense is in a rut right now.

X-Terminator
12-30-2007, 07:06 PM

Execution is 90% of the battle. I also believe that most of our opponents have figured out and are counteracting most of our blitzing schemes. Dick needs to go back into his laboratory and whip up some new coverages - fast and in a hurry.

Exactly. As I've often said, a DC or OC is only as good as the players on the field executing the game plan. That's why you cannot simply lay everything at the feet of Dick LeBeau. And I definitely agree that it may be time to change up our scheme a bit - we've become too predictable on defense, and teams are using our aggressiveness against us. Jacksonville did it to perfection, the Rams did it for about 38 minutes, and the Rats did it to us again today.

Shoes
12-30-2007, 07:16 PM
Ben hasn't been honest in his praise of the O line this year at all. He has spent the year running for his life and getting sacked,,,then saying the O line is doing a great job after many of the games. Mike Tomlin likes to talk about reality ...hopefully he saw some today.

stillers4me
12-30-2007, 07:53 PM
Here we go again............................................. ...........................

ok........let's give the Jags plenty of film to study on how we intend to compensate for the loss of Aaron Smith. Good plan.

SteelSurf
12-30-2007, 08:07 PM
As opposed to last year, when the team was pretty much out of the hunt by Halloween with a lame duck veteran HC? Yeah, this year has been such a disappointment in comparison. :coffee:

You sir, I can have a beer with and watch a Steeler game with. Salute. :cheers:

We are in the Playoffs. Boom, Full Stop. Steeler fans have been taking the bad with the VERY good for a long time. I have been on the Steeler bandwagon when it had a drunk driver, flat tires and no SB Victories. :tt02:

Atlanta Dan
12-30-2007, 08:15 PM

Yep - this team has played the last 7 weeks as those predicting a crash this season thought it would = but losing 4 starters would be a blow to any team

stillers4me
12-30-2007, 08:28 PM
Did any of you bother to look at the scores of todays games..........?????

Jags lost to Houston 42-28

Dallas lost to Washington 27-6

Steelers lost to the Rats 27-21 (and came damn close to winning)

Indy is currently losing to Tennesee 7-3. What do all these losing teams have in common? Every one of them are playoff teams and rested their starters....................see a pattern yet? So I guess all these teams might as well give up today...............

MACH1
12-30-2007, 08:35 PM
This is starting to look like a bungal forum around here with all these so called fans jumping of the wagon over a meaningless game. I guess if we get lucky and pull one out of our a**'s next week you'll all be climbing back on.

stillers4me
12-30-2007, 08:37 PM
This is starting to look like a bungal forum around here with all these so called fans jumping of the wagon over a meaningless game. I guess if we get lucky and pull one out of our a**'s next week you'll all be climbing back on.

ding ding ding....we have a winner!

Atlanta Dan
12-30-2007, 08:44 PM
Did any of you bother to look at the scores of todays games..........?????

Jags lost to Houston 42-28

Dallas lost to Washington 27-6

Steelers lost to the Rats 27-21 (and came damn close to winning)

Indy is currently losing to Tennesee 7-3. What do all these losing teams have in common? Every one of them are playoff teams and rested their starters....................see a pattern yet? So I guess all these teams might as well give up today...............

But the Steelers starters other than Troy played on D - hard to lay off the problems with the run D on Troy's absence

And which of those teams has given up the sacks the Steelers have and is down to its third string LT after its starter had back surgery and backup hurt his knee today?

SteelCityMan786
12-30-2007, 08:45 PM

Marianne you are right.

As a player, I understand where she is going. When teams figure out what you are sending at them and find how to counter them, you're going to easily get burned if you don't execute your schemes correctly. It's happened in EACH of my football team losses this year(3 total 2 to the same team) and it's done the same for some of the Steelers Games. If they do not whip things into shape and in a hurry, they'll be arraging their Tee Times sooner then when they would like to.

Atlanta Dan
12-30-2007, 08:47 PM

This team is 3-4 since the Ravens Monday night game - it is a lot more than one bad afternoon

CASTEEL
12-30-2007, 08:57 PM

I don't think anyone is 'jumping off the wagon' by being worried about the play of the defense..... our starting defense couldn't stop the Ratbirds... our starting D allowed 200+ yards last time the Jags came to Pittsburgh - there's a little to be worried about.

Not jumping off the wagon here - just expressing some worries. :)

Now be a good fellow fan and give us all a little something to look forward to. :smile:

Steeldude
12-30-2007, 09:07 PM
Why was Batch throwing deep like that? A couple deep throws, ok, yet there was time on the clock for some sideline passes. Batch is a good backup, yet that is why he is not the starter.

i remember BR throwing some very poor passes into triple coverage too.

the game was meaningless. many of the steelers appeared/played like they did not want to be there.

stillers4me
12-30-2007, 09:16 PM
i remember BR throwing some very poor passes into triple coverage too.

the game was meaningless. many of the steelers appeared/played like they did not want to be there.

Why would anybody want to risk their bodies in a meaningless game with the playoffs ahead of them?

I expect a much more aggressive Steelers next week.

shevdog
12-30-2007, 09:24 PM
We'll at least we got a scrimmish game in before the playoffs.

Still I was hoping for a Ravens sweep. They have our number at M&T... Still bitter about the 15-1 season. (Can you guess who that was with and where?)

15-1 Steelers better than the 16-0 Cheaters.

Paul Pyrch
12-30-2007, 09:25 PM
Totally agree! Even the anouncers on TV criticized the Steelers for not tackling, not attacking etc. I too don't understand what has happened to them. They don't seem ready to play at all. When a team like Baltimore who hasn't won a game in quite a while outplays them on all levels, something is definitely wrong. You are correct. We need to rebuild because at this rate, we're going nowhere fast!

fansince'76
12-30-2007, 09:27 PM
Totally agree! Even the anouncers on TV criticized the Steelers for not tackling, not attacking etc. I too don't understand what has happened to them. They don't seem ready to play at all. When a team like Baltimore who hasn't won a game in quite a while outplays them on all levels, something is definitely wrong. You are correct. We need to rebuild because at this rate, we're going nowhere fast!

We're in the playoffs this year as opposed to being out of the hunt at Halloween last year = improvement. The Steelers played today like a team playing a meaningless game as far as it's playoff seeding is concerned, and the Ratbirds played like a team playing it's last game for about 8 months.

stillers4me
12-30-2007, 09:34 PM
We're in the playoffs this year as opposed to being out of the hunt at Halloween last year = improvement. The Steelers played today like a team playing a meaningless game as far as it's playoff seeding is concerned, and the Ratbirds played like a team playing it's last game for about 8 months.

Do you ever feel like people have their fingers in their ears.........lalalalalalalalala......I can't hear you.................. :smile:

MACH1
12-30-2007, 09:35 PM
I don't think anyone is 'jumping off the wagon' by being worried about the play of the defense..... our starting defense couldn't stop the Ratbirds... our starting D allowed 200+ yards last time the Jags came to Pittsburgh - there's a little to be worried about.

Not jumping off the wagon here - just expressing some worries. :)

Now be a good fellow fan and give us all a little something to look forward to. :smile:

Yeah I know there's a lot wrong with the team now like no o-line and the d not playing they way their capable of or the lose of starters. Just like most of us I take the good with the bad, and I'll be the first to admit that were a little on the spoiled side from the the recent success's of the team. I also lived through the 80's and the early 90's when we weren't so good after being spoiled by 4 sb's. But I also don't think its time to totally dismantle and rebuild the entire team. Maybe some asst. coaching staff should be addressed like the o-line coach for starters. IMO

But I'm not going to sit here and complain about it for the next week either, whats done is done. And next week if we lose then its time to move on and hope the management can fix what needs to be fixed(out with the bad in with the good) in the off season and if we win we live for another week.

stillers4me
12-30-2007, 09:37 PM
Even the anouncers on TV criticized the Steelers for not tackling, not attacking etc.

God knows they're always right.

Paul Pyrch
12-30-2007, 09:41 PM
God knows they're always right.

They sure were right this time!

Newzfoxjr
12-30-2007, 10:28 PM
Woah, wait. What the hell? All those emo posts in this thread were after watching TODAY? When we rested Ben, Hines and Troy?

Wow, and you guys are fans?

...Wow, seriously, just WOW. We almost won, too. You can't tell me Ben would've dug us into that ****ing hole. And you especially can't tell me Troy and that defense with him in there would've allowed us into that ****ing hole. And if Ben was in there on that last series, you can't tell me he'd overthrow Santonio into TRIPLE COVERAGE to lose the game for us. But if you feel like you can tell me that, then you might as well tell me WHY you're a Steelers fan.

BlastFurnace
12-30-2007, 10:35 PM
Woah, wait. What the hell? All those emo posts in this thread were after watching TODAY? When we rested Ben, Hines and Troy?

...Wow, seriously, just WOW. We almost won, too. You can't tell me Ben would've dug us into that ****ing hole. And you especially can't tell me Troy and that defense with him in there would've allowed us into that ****ing hole. And if Ben was in there on that last series, you can't tell me he'd overthrow Santonio into TRIPLE COVERAGE to lose the game for us. But if you feel like you can tell me that, then you might as well tell me WHY you're a Steelers fan.

21 points should have been enough to win the game.

Allowing a rookie QB, an OL with 2 rookie starters owning our blitz package, and two unheralded RB's tearing up our defense is the reason for concern. That's not even including the dropped interceptions.

In case you haven't noticed, the best running team in the league is coming to town that hung 224 yards on the ground on us 3 weeks ago.

I'm a fan because I have been one for 33 years...but...I can be realistic as well.

Busman
12-30-2007, 10:48 PM
Woodley checked in briefly and sacked White but then again he was left unblocked. Anyone could have performed that task.

Unfortunately the defense has not shown up for the most part.. Soft and vanilla comes to mind.. Timmons was in on one play I think where he got anxious and jumped the line.. Thats out # 1 draft pick..

I dont know guys and gals but its not looking good...

Busman

My only question is how bad are Woodley and Timmons to not be playing major minutes in this fiasco???

Busman
12-30-2007, 10:54 PM
Yes but we are talking about the same coach which expects more from his players with respect to practicing then Cowher did..

Remember training camp and I believe it was thanksgiving they spent more time practicing with pads on.

Not making an excuse for anyone but I think its important to understand Tomlin and his ability to be afforded a first year

Busman

zoneblitz43
12-30-2007, 10:54 PM
Several things I am tired of:

I am tired of seeing our franchise QB barely being able to get off the field at the end of games.

I am tired of seeing the D give up a 8 yard play on 3rd and 7.

I am tired of seeing the opposing QB have a half a minute to pass.

I am tired of feeling like i am gonna have a heart attack every time we kick off or punt.

I am tired of this team playing down to the level of their weaker opponents.

I am tired of seeing Sean Mahan and Willie Colon employed as NFL offensive linemen.

There is no excuse for losing to the Jets. There is no excuse for losing to the Ravens. We are better than that. IMO we should be 14-2. I just get the feeling that some of these players aren't serious about winning a championship.

X-Terminator
12-30-2007, 11:00 PM

Far be it from me to defend some of the negativity on here, but if you're honestly not concerned about the defense and all of our injuries going into next week, then you're just blind. We have problems. BIG problems.

zoneblitz43
12-30-2007, 11:03 PM
I am a Steelers fan, and that will never change. However I refuse to make excuses for them when they fail to get the job done.

fansince'76
12-30-2007, 11:07 PM
I am a Steelers fan, and that will never change. However I refuse to make excuses for them when they fail to get the job done.

You must've had a whale of a good time last year, then. Despite the team's flaws, this has been a better season, no? Personally, I wasn't looking for a SB victory this year - I was looking for a solid first season for a rookie HC to build on. We got that. Anything positive that happens from here on out is gravy to me.

Newzfoxjr
12-31-2007, 12:45 AM
Far be it from me to defend some of the negativity on here, but if you're honestly not concerned about the defense and all of our injuries going into next week, then you're just blind. We have problems. BIG problems.

I didn't say that. But putting down one and done as a forgone conclusion? Come on. You have to have more faith than THAT.

fansince'76
12-31-2007, 12:51 AM
I didn't say that. But putting down one and done as a forgone conclusion? Come on. You have to have more faith than THAT.

Nope, faith is not allowed around here, or haven't you noticed? We're doomed next week - may as well not even show up. The sky is falling. The end is near.

verks36
12-31-2007, 01:49 AM
Another factor has been Polomalu, he has played shite the last two years since he got injured. Smith mayby a bit of a noob but atleast he has heart.

ya true that Smith does have heart and you got to respect that

I dont know what is up with troy

LVSteelersfan
12-31-2007, 03:49 AM
Garrard is going to fold like a cheap card table when the heat of the playoffs gets to him next week. Davenport is going to run for 200 yards, the Steelers will control the clock, and they are going to beat that team. Oh, I forgot, Ben will throw 5 TDs. ROOT FOR YOUR TEAM. QUIT BEING SO NEGATIVE. I know there are problems, but I don't think the Jags can beat us two times in a year. Of course, that just puts us on a collision course with the Golden Boy and the Chosen Ones, so why do we even play next week? Just forfeit and get it over with. GO STEELERS !!!!!!!!!!!!!

HometownGal
12-31-2007, 08:04 AM
Personally, I wasn't looking for a SB victory this year - I was looking for a solid first season for a rookie HC to build on. We got that. Anything positive that happens from here on out is gravy to me.

Halle-freakin-lu-jah! A Steelers fan who gets it! :cheers: Holy sh it - it's like a morgue around here today. People - seriously - chill out. Sure, I would have liked the Steelers to go to the big game this season but I never expected it to happen, so I won't be overly disappointed if the Steelers don't get past this Saturday (though I still am keeping the faith that they will). These Steelers are not a championship calibre team as they presently stand with all of the injuries and the problems on the D and OL. That said, however, I'm damned proud of them getting as far as they have in Tomlin's inaugural season and know in my black and gold heart that there are better times ahead. The foundation is there and I have enough faith in the Steelers organization and Tomlin to build upon it in the next year or two to unveil yet another Steelers dynasty! :tt02:

BlastFurnace
12-31-2007, 09:01 AM
Halle-freakin-lu-jah! A Steelers fan who gets it! :cheers: Holy sh it - it's like a morgue around here today. People - seriously - chill out. Sure, I would have liked the Steelers to go to the big game this season but I never expected it to happen, so I won't be overly disappointed if the Steelers don't get past this Saturday (though I still am keeping the faith that they will). These Steelers are not a championship calibre team as they presently stand with all of the injuries and the problems on the D and OL. That said, however, I'm damned proud of them getting as far as they have in Tomlin's inaugural season and know in my black and gold heart that there are better times ahead. The foundation is there and I have enough faith in the Steelers organization and Tomlin to build upon it in the next year or two to unveil yet another Steelers dynasty! :tt02:

I agree with what you said and Tomlin has had a very successful rookie season, but the foundation on defense is very shaky.

You can take what I say as negative if you wish, but Hampton, Farrior, and Foote have not had good seasons, Haggans should be gone, A. Smith clearly is not near ready and who knows if he will be next season, Townsend and Farrior are aging, Troy has been hurt for pretty much 2 seasons now, we don't know Clark's status for next season (and he is our 2nd best safety), and we have very little depth on the Defensive Line.

This isn't meant to be doom n' gloom, and I am happy with what we accomplished this season....but we have a pretty big rebuilding job on the defensive side of the ball. I think LeBeau is still the answer as the DC, but he doesn't have the tools to make his defensive effective right now and may not next season as well.

I haven't even mentioned our problems on the OL...not to mention that we are more than likely going to lose Faneca and possibly Starks.

It's not a matter of being negative, but realizing that Tomlin and Colbert have their work cut out for them.

Atlanta Dan
12-31-2007, 09:13 AM
When Tomlin was hired the team was known to be facing a rebuild (in addition to $$ IMO another reason Cowher left was because he did not care to endure another 1998-2000 rebuilding period during which he came close to getting fired).

The soft early schedule + collapse of the Bengals & Ravens masked the flaws in this team that have come out as the schedule toughened + the injuries increased.

But while a number of major vets are on the downside of their careers (Faneca, Big Snack, Farrior, Ward) the Steelers have their franchise QB and the HC around which to rebuild. Imagine where this team would be right now if Cowher had played out the string by returning for 1 last year and kept the clamps on Ben - the team would be looking for a HC and not be certain whether or not it had its QB for the future.

The season is ending on a disappointing note but in few years I look for the Steelers to be back in the championship chase. It starts with a tear down of the OL and plugging in the 2 top draft choices at LB next season..

BlastFurnace
12-31-2007, 09:21 AM
When Tomlin was hired the team was known to be facing a rebuild (in addition to $$ IMO another reason Cowher left was because he did not care to endure another 1998-2000 rebuilding period during which he came close to getting fired).

The soft early schedule + collapse of the Bengals & Ravens masked the flaws in this team that have come out as the schedule toughened + the injuries increased.

But while a number of major vets are on the downside of their careers (Faneca, Big Snack, Farrior, Ward) the Steelers have their franchise QB and the HC around which to rebuild. Imagine where this team would be right now if Cowher had played out the string by returning for 1 last year and kept the clamps on Ben - the team would be looking for a HC and not be certain whether or not it had its QB for the future.

The season is ending on a disappointing note but in few years I look for the Steelers to be back in the championship chase. It starts with a tear down of the OL and plugging in the 2 top draft choices at LB next season..

I agree with you. Thank goodness for Ben this season. I believe that Tomlin is the right man for the job and it will be interesting to see what pieces he puts in place to compliment Ben, Santonio, Willie (not Colon :>), and Troy.

Paul Pyrch
12-31-2007, 09:25 AM
I agree with what you said and Tomlin has had a very successful rookie season, but the foundation on defense is very shaky.

You can take what I say as negative if you wish, but Hampton, Farrior, and Foote have not had good seasons, Haggans should be gone, A. Smith clearly is not near ready and who knows if he will be next season, Townsend and Farrior are aging, Troy has been hurt for pretty much 2 seasons now, we don't know Clark's status for next season (and he is our 2nd best safety), and we have very little depth on the Defensive Line.

This isn't meant to be doom n' gloom, and I am happy with what we accomplished this season....but we have a pretty big rebuilding job on the defensive side of the ball. I think LeBeau is still the answer as the DC, but he doesn't have the tools to make his defensive effective right now and may not next season as well.

I haven't even mentioned our problems on the OL...not to mention that we are more than likely going to lose Faneca and possibly Starks.

It's not a matter of being negative, but realizing that Tomlin and Colbert have their work cut out for them.

Blast Furnace, you told it like it is. It's one thing to hype the "rah! rah!" stuff, but another thing entirely to look at the hard facts. Yep, Tomlin and Colbert do have their work cut out for them.

HometownGal
12-31-2007, 09:50 AM

Good post, BF. :cheers: I didn't take your post as negative at all.

When I said the foundation was there, I was referring to Ben, Santo, FWP, Nate, Hines (an experienced vet who isn't getting any younger, but still has the fire and the drive) and a few others, not the D or the OL and we may as well include ST's in there as well. Those clearly are units that need revamped and rebuilt in the coming seasons. If the problems with our D weren't totally exposed in the Jags game, they sure were yesterday against the Rats, no doubt about it.

AD - you also crafted an excellent post and the only thing I disagree with you 100% on is your belief that Cowher was in danger of being fired during the rebuilding period in the late 90's/early 00's. That is neither here nor there at this point - Cowher isn't in the picture any longer, but I don't believe for a second that the Rooneys would have fired Cowher considering the successes he had before that point.

Paul Pyrch - as for the "rah rah" comment, really - I'm not blind. I clearly see the multitude of problems this team has. That being said, however, it never hurts to maintain a positive attitude whether it relates to the Steelers or to life in general. Try it - you might actually like it and your blood pressure would more than likely reap huge benefits. :wink02:

Jeremy
12-31-2007, 09:53 AM
The team has gotten worse as the season had gone along. That is not the definition of a good season, even for a rookie head coach. I'm willing to give you all the injuries they had this season, but it's hard to ignore the way the defense has played. The Steelers calling card has always been defense and now we're looking at a Steelers team that has some huge questions to answer this off season when it comes to that defense.

bozz723
12-31-2007, 10:00 AM
The Steelers will win the super bowl this season

No explanation necessary.

Atlanta Dan
12-31-2007, 10:34 AM
You can complain about how the Jags ran on us , but we lost on the big passing plays.

Have to disagree - the Jags moved the ball at will on the ground and the killer play on the last drive was the draw on 3rd and long from around the Steelers 30 that Troy overran

It is age, fatigue or poor technique, but the tackling has been abysmal for the last month.

vasteeler
12-31-2007, 11:18 AM
i cannot beleive i have read this whole thread :dang: some of you do get it others are just annoying
steelers 48
jags 0

Atlanta Dan
12-31-2007, 11:27 AM
i cannot beleive i have read this whole thread :dang: some of you do get it others are just annoying
steelers 48
jags 0

Based on that prediction I guess my conclusion this is not exactly the 76 Steelers on D annoys you

Steeldude
12-31-2007, 12:15 PM
Why would anybody want to risk their bodies in a meaningless game with the playoffs ahead of them?

I expect a much more aggressive Steelers next week.

that's whaty i am saying:smile:

MONTANA GRIZ
12-31-2007, 12:33 PM
There were cracks even before we lost Smith, like in the Jets game...but losing him has just blown the lid off it. They are so undisciplined in their gaps..how many times are you going to let a RB cutback on you.

This is the exact thing that has drove me crazy these last few games! It seems we have a play strung out and dead for a loss then the RB cuts it back for 12. This is just a lack of discipline, guys have stay true to their responsibility and know their pursuit angles.

I'm sure Taylor and Jones-Drew can't wait for Saturday, after watching the no name Raven RB's run through our D.

Hoppefully our D is pissed about how they have played against the run lately, and come out with some emotion on Saturday. There are plenty of reason why this team should come out firing, which why I have faith they will put away the Jags.

Jeremy
12-31-2007, 12:37 PM
Based on that prediction I guess my conclusion this is not exactly the 76 Steelers on D annoys you

I wonder what these people will be saying if the Steelers lose Saturday.

Atlanta Dan
12-31-2007, 02:15 PM

IMO expectations have hit rock bottom and it will be more along the line of at what point did you see the season was screwed rather than WTF just happened - it will not be the jolt of most 1994-2004 Cowher era playoff losses - after the 4 AFC championship home losses a loss to Jax will not rank as a major shock to me

fansince'76
12-31-2007, 02:28 PM

Funny, I am wondering what the doom-and-gloom, we-have-no-chancers will be saying if they win Saturday. :coffee:

Haiku_Dirtt
12-31-2007, 02:55 PM
steelers 48
jags 0

I'll take that bet. Shall we use PayPal?

That smoke doesn't smell like tobacco.

Haiku_Dirtt
12-31-2007, 03:20 PM
IMO expectations have hit rock bottom and it will be more along the line of at what point did you see the season was screwed rather than WTF just happened - it will not be the jolt of most 1994-2004 Cowher era playoff losses - after the 4 AFC championship home losses a loss to Jax will not rank as a major shock to me

Are we at DEFCON One yet?

How some call the game that ultimately pit us against the Jags instead of the Titans "meaningless" is a mystery to me? Losing to the only team that Miami could beat "meaningless?"

The Arizona game was all the proof that I needed. Steeler football leverages tenacity in the trenches. The offensive line? Inept starters. Vacant depth chart. How much lower can expectations go? We should also factor in: sans Faneca, poor draft position, few quality college prospects, inflated free agency market.

If this isn't bad enough rebuilding the line will resemble the 2008 Las Vegas housing market. No answers. No solutions. And no end in sight.

Unlike Ben Shalom Bernanke I wouldn't expect the Rooney's to start throwing money at the problem. Do you? Organic growth is reliable but painfully slow. Painfully SLOW.

fansince'76
12-31-2007, 03:22 PM
How some call the game that ultimately pit us against the Jags instead of the Titans "meaningless" is a mystery to me?

How about because of the outcome of the Raiders/Chargers game yesterday, we would have faced Jax next week regardless? Mystery solved.

Rhee Rhee
12-31-2007, 03:25 PM
o brother... here come the haters all over again... think of it this way... ya we gave up 200+ yards running against jax... but y dont we think of the positive and how ben basically had a great game! i think ben and his arm and santonio and hines will get the job done... (look and brady moss and welker they're 16-0) passing the ball looks like the way to go

Atlanta Dan
12-31-2007, 03:53 PM
. The offensive line? Inept starters. Vacant depth chart. How much lower can expectations go? We should also factor in: sans Faneca, poor draft position, few quality college prospects, inflated free agency market.

If this isn't bad enough rebuilding the line will resemble the 2008 Las Vegas housing market. No answers. No solutions. And no end in sight.

Unlike Ben Shalom Bernanke I wouldn't expect the Rooney's to start throwing money at the problem. Do you? Organic growth is reliable but painfully slow. Painfully SLOW.

It is the salary cap NFL with flag football rules. If you have a good QB and decent receivers you can accomplish a lot.

Next year is going to be brutal with that schedule but the 2008 AFC North may be the 2007 NFC South. The Ravens are in chaos and the Bengals are right there with them.

Will this team seriously contend for the SB next year? - nope. Will they contend for a division where 9-7 may win it? - you betcha

As the Steelers rebuild they will not sink to Falcons/Rams/49ers status

Big D
12-31-2007, 05:04 PM
showing up today?

No reserves in on D and the Felons running through them at will...even no name RBs...where the h*ll is the pride?

Heaven help us if Ben gets hurt for any length of time because Batch is a waste...talk about a rubberband arm on that pick!!!

Why get off the bus? Better yet....why aren't the rookies and backups in there on defense, at least maybe they'd care.

is there anything you don't bitch about? my god it was a meaningless game where we played our bench.

yinzer-inseattle
12-31-2007, 06:07 PM
Why Bother?

Last year in Week 13 Indy lost to the Jags 44-17. During which, MJD and co racked up 375 yards rushing. Repeat.... again that's 375 yards rushing. Three weeks later they laid an egg against the lowly Texans. It's a good thing that team did not listen to all of the experts and fans as they dismissed the Colts due to their lack of discipline, fire, coaching and (blah blah blah) everything else that was wrong with them.

Yes this Steelers team has problems, and yes they will probably not win the SB. As a fan I trust they will take the field on Saturday and try their best to crack open some skulls and win the damned game. The playoffs are what they truly live for ; no one that's posted on this thread can say the same.

I've been a fan now for 35 years. Win or lose that's all I expect (crack some skulls-- leave everything on the field). I'll worry about next year and those problems/ challenges after we lose a playoff game.