PDA

View Full Version : Jerome Bettis says

Borski
12-30-2007, 07:57 PM
"We will see a different Steelers team in the playoffs" - Jerome Bettis on NBC's Football Night in America

ShutDown24
12-30-2007, 07:59 PM
I agree with him. People were all wound up today but this week and next are going to be totally different scenarios. Look for Ben to have a monster day for one and the defense will make Gerrard beat us to win.

Atlanta Dan
12-30-2007, 07:59 PM
What was Pencil Neck's comeback to the Bus?

fansince'76
12-30-2007, 08:08 PM
Bumping thread - fellow mods, please don't lock this one as it was posted before Preacher's thread on the same topic. Thanks.

stillers4me
12-30-2007, 08:10 PM
:tt02: Jerome has the faith!

Pencilneck just shook his head and laughed.

jjpro11
12-30-2007, 08:11 PM
What was Pencil Neck's comeback to the Bus?

he couldnt get anything out because he was blinded by the glare from the diamonds on jerome's ring.

SteelCityMan786
12-30-2007, 08:13 PM
:tt02: Jerome has the faith!

Pencilneck just shook his head and laughed.

That's Pencilneck's way of life.

stillers4me
12-30-2007, 08:18 PM
I agree with Jerome........the Steelers are going to come out playing to win next Saturday!

Edman
12-30-2007, 08:25 PM
I can only hope so. This is different. You're not there anymore, Jerome. The 2005 run was all about "Win it for Jerome". And the whole team rallied around that.

Let's just hope for the best.

stillers4me
12-30-2007, 08:26 PM
I can only hope so. This is different. You're not there anymore, Jerome. The 2005 run was all about "Win it for Jerome". And the whole team rallied around that.

Let's just hope for the best.

How a about "Win it for Willie!" :thumbsup:

Steeler in Carolina
12-30-2007, 08:33 PM
I also think we will see a much different team. Don't underestimate the rest Ben had and also the experience. Gerrard hasn't faced a playoff rockin' Heinz Field.

fansince'76
12-30-2007, 08:37 PM
I also think we will see a much different team. Don't underestimate the rest Ben had and also the experience. Gerrard hasn't faced a playoff rockin' Heinz Field.

Excellent point - QBs generally don't fare well in their first career playoff start - advantage: Steelers, at least in the QB department.

I-Want-Troy's-Hair
12-30-2007, 08:55 PM
I hate to be the glass half empty kind of person but this team has been been stumbling since the second half of the season and I can't foresee a miracle happening 5 days from now. This team has lost three of their last 4 games they've played, UGLY. The defense can't stop the run or the pass, they can't get off the field on third down, our special teams is and has been suspect for years and nothing has changed (sound familiar) there and our offense is trying to get our QB killed. I really hope the the Bus is right and I am wrong but I don't have a warm fuzzy about the upcoming playoff game.

If there is a bright spot here I sure don't see it.

stillers4me
12-30-2007, 08:59 PM
I hate to be the glass half empty kind of person but this team has been been stumbling since the second half of the season and I can't foresee a miracle happening 5 days from now. This team has lost three of their last 4 games they've played, UGLY. The defense can't stop the run or the pass, they can't get off the field on third down, our special teams is and has been suspect for years and nothing has changed there and our offense is trying to get our QB killed. I really hope the the Bus is right and I am wrong but I don't have a warm fuzzy about the upcoming playoff game.

I didn't have a warm fuzzy feeling about the Ravens game all week. Just ask my hubby.

However, while I can't predict a blazing path though the Jags, the Colts, and the Pats*, I fully expect to see the Steelers come out strong next week, playing football to win.

fansince'76
12-30-2007, 09:05 PM

How about the fact that the team will be playing next weekend instead of hitting the golf courses and Ben being featured as a guest WC game prognosticator on a pregame show at the same time last year?

BlastFurnace
12-30-2007, 09:11 PM
Last year, I knew the team was better than a 8-8 team. They underachieved.

This year, this team has lowered my expectations for the post season. All of Cowher's teams gave me hope when we made the playoffs. I always felt we could win because we could run and stop the run. This team can't do either. If we beat the Jaguars next week, I will be shocked.

I hate to be so pesimistic....I will still be cheering my head off next week...but I just don't see this team doing anything.

Steel Warrior
12-30-2007, 09:13 PM
It's the playoffs now and anything can happen as we saw in 2005. One game at a time. I like our chances against the Jags, I like playing teams we're familiar with, plus, throw in a little revenge factor. We'll be fine.
:smoker:

fansince'76
12-30-2007, 09:19 PM

I felt the same way, but I still took absolutely no solace in that feeling when we were basically out of the postseason hunt by Halloween. Last year sucked, plain and simple, and this has been a better year, despite the bumps in the road.

Atlanta Dan
12-30-2007, 09:32 PM

This year, this team has lowered my expectations for the post season. All of Cowher's teams gave me hope when we made the playoffs. I always felt we could win because we could run and stop the run. This team can't do either. If we beat the Jaguars next week, I will be shocked.

I hate to be so pesimistic....I will still be cheering my head off next week...but I just don't see this team doing anything.

The crowd needs to show up for the whole game and not spend half the third quarter in the concessions areas watching the game on video = they gave up on the Steelers when they went down 22-7 against Jax and no doubt will do the same if the Steelers fall behind early next Saturday night.

LeBeau presumably will sell out to stop the run and make Garrard beat him - basically the same tactic employed against Ben and the 2005 Steelers.

As for the Steelers, Ben needs to be the star and the fire = it is now his team.

I like the Jags chances.

fansince'76
12-30-2007, 09:34 PM
LeBeau presumably will sell out to stop the run and make Garrard beat him - basically the same tactic employed against Ben and the 2005 Steelers.

As for the Steelers, Ben needs to be the star and the fire = it is now his team.

I like the Jags chances.

If the strategy of making Garrard beat them with his arm works, you like the Jags' chances better than the Steelers' with Ben, considering this will be Garrard's first playoff start? I think that works in the Steelers' favor, myself, IF the D shows up and actually stops their running game.

Atlanta Dan
12-30-2007, 09:39 PM
If the strategy of making Garrard beat them with his arm works, you like the Jags chances better than the Steelers with Ben, considering this will be Garrard's first playoff start? I think that works in the Steelers favor, myself, IF the D shows up and actually stops their run.

I do not think the strategy will work = Troy freaking Smith put up 27 points on this D and and made a number of good passes + Fred Taylor is better than Musa Smith.

Add to that LT will be a disaster if Starks cannot go - Ben is going to get hammered

fansince'76
12-30-2007, 09:42 PM
I do not think the strategy will work = Troy freaking Smith put up 27 points on this D and and made a number of good passes + Fred Taylor is better than Musa Smith.

Add to that LT will be a disaster if Starks cannot go - Ben is going to get hammered

Playoff game = completely different animal than a meaningless regular season game (thanks to the Bolts/Raiders outcome) where the obvious goal by the measure of how the team played as a whole was to avoid injuries.

Atlanta Dan
12-30-2007, 09:52 PM
Playoff game = completely different animal than a meaningless regular season game (thanks to the Bolts/Raiders outcome) where the obvious goal by the measure of how the team played as a whole was to avoid injuries.

Don't get me wrong - I will be cheering my head off and hope for the best, but no Steelers team has gone into the playoffs with less of a good vibe that I can remember since the 1996 team (which I concede did win a first round home game before being blown out in New England) and it is getting smacked with injuries

fansince'76
12-30-2007, 09:55 PM
Don't get me wrong - I will be cheering my head off and hope for the best, but no Steelers team has gone into the playoffs with less of a good vibe that I can remember since the 1996 team (which I concede did win a first round home game before being blown out in New England) and is getting smacked with injuries

I'm also hoping this team can win next week, but I'm not expecting a deep run either, in light of all the injuries and the bad OL play all season. :cheers:

Dynasty
12-30-2007, 09:58 PM
Excellent point - QBs generally don't fare well in their first career playoff start - advantage: Steelers, at least in the QB department.

Which puts us at an even better position, since Ben is better than Garrard anyways.

Steeldude
12-30-2007, 09:59 PM
"We will see a different Steelers team in the playoffs" - Jerome Bettis on NBC's Football Night in America

uh...what? of course it's going to be a different team. all of the starters are going to play.

shevdog
12-30-2007, 10:20 PM
Good to see the Bus has faith in us. Yeah it will be a different teams. That difference better be us clicking on all cylinders. Tomlin, let's tighten things up!

Pittsburghfan
12-30-2007, 10:25 PM
Win it for my grandpa who is racist and hates Tomlin... But is a life long steeler fan.

stillers4me
12-30-2007, 10:39 PM
Win it for my grandpa who is racist and hates Tomlin... But is a life long steeler fan.

I don't even know where to begin with that one............... :jawdrop:

BlastFurnace
12-30-2007, 11:02 PM
Good to see the Bus has faith in us. Yeah it will be a different teams. That difference better be us clicking on all cylinders. Tomlin, let's tighten things up!

Basically, next week is our Bowl Game. I'll be happy with a win next week, but I don't have any allusions that we can come within 20 points against NE or Indy the following week.

Atlanta Dan
12-30-2007, 11:06 PM
Basically, next week is our Bowl Game. I'll be happy with a win next week, but I don't have any allusions that we can come within 20 points against NE or Indy the following week.

That is one reason I was not real worked up about the 3 v. 4 seed - going to Indy will be no day at the beach either = Colts are 14-2 with losses being a blown lead to the Pats and missed chip shot FG at San Diego until tonight's exhibition game

Since Indy is in the dome and weather cannot mess them up in the first round, I am at least as confident they make it to the AFC championship as the Pats

Lord Stiller
12-30-2007, 11:13 PM
That is one reason I was not real worked up about the 3 v. 4 seed - going to Indy will be no day at the beach either = Colts are 14-2 with losses being a blown lead to the Pats and missed chip shot FG at San Diego until tonight's exhibition game

Since Indy is in the dome and weather cannot mess them up in the first round, I am at least as confident they make it to the AFC championship as the Pats

Getting the 3 seed would have been HUGE!!!!!!!!!!!!

not because of playing INDY rather than NE but its the difference between playing a very good Jacksonville team which might dominate and blow out the Steelers or playing a banged up Titans team that snuck into the playoffs and barely has a real offense

Providence Steel
12-30-2007, 11:14 PM
Tomlin has been holding back most of the year. Hasn't gotten too far into the play book and has played conservatively....at least this is what I hope. Playoffs come and so do the trick plays, incredible O line protection schemes and blitz packages that no one in the league has seen yet. Please, please, please.

Please show us you are brilliant, Tomlin.

Atlanta Dan
12-30-2007, 11:20 PM
Getting the 3 seed would have been HUGE!!!!!!!!!!!!

not because of playing INDY rather than NE but its the difference between playing a very good Jacksonville team which might dominate and blow out the Steelers or playing a banged up Titans team that snuck into the playoffs and barely has a real offense

If the Steelers cannot win a home playoff game against a wildcard team then so be it - their season should end there. My point is this team is not going deep into the playoffs either way = losing next Saturday night or getting smacked by 3 TDs the next weekend does not make a lot of difference to me. I am not looking forward to another trip to Foxborough with this crippled team.

It is not as if you are a Pats or Colts fan and somehow hoping your nemesis gets tripped up in the second round before you play them to clear the way to the SB.

I will cheer away but this season is DOA.

HometownGal
12-30-2007, 11:20 PM

:jawdrop:

Considering the fact that the Steelers have been and are currently comprised of at least half African American players, that kind of befuddles me. :screwy:

ShutDown24
12-30-2007, 11:21 PM
Tomlin has been holding back most of the year. Hasn't gotten too far into the play book and has played conservatively....at least this is what I hope. Playoffs come and so do the trick plays, incredible O line protection schemes and blitz packages that no one in the league has seen yet. Please, please, please.

There was a lot of stuff I saw in training camp they haven't even touched yet... You may have something there. I don't think the O-line is necessarily going to get better overnight but who knows... In 05' the entire team did just that. Anything is possible.

HometownGal
12-30-2007, 11:24 PM

While I share your optimism, Prov - I think the players need to step up big time and execute. Tomlin can be the most brilliant of HC's, but in the end, the guys on that field hold their destiny in their own hands.

BlastFurnace
12-30-2007, 11:26 PM
There was a lot of stuff I saw in training camp they haven't even touched yet... You may have something there. I don't think the O-line is necessarily going to get better overnight but who knows... In 05' the entire team did just that. Anything is possible.

The 2005 team would destroy this year's Steeler team. This isn't 2005, where we were still a healthy team going into the playoffs. This is a team that is beat up and no longer can run or stop the run.

They gave us some great moments this year and maybe another next week, but after that, NE will destroy us. Not trying to be really negative, but the last 8 weeks do not lie.

Steeldude
12-31-2007, 12:16 AM

you are joking, right?

tomlin and lebeau have held nothing back. there are no trick plays or special schemes that have been kept a secret. the O-line will perform the same. actually it might be worse now that essex is starting. the blitz packages have all been used. they are the same packages used for i don't know how many years. the 3-4 zone blitz scheme is no longer tough to attack. every team knows it's weakness.

eafratitpm3
12-31-2007, 12:59 AM
Unless the D comes out showing emotion we will be one and done. I don't care how good Ben is compared to Garrard you all keep forgetting one thing, we don't have an O-Line and Jax does. Give me a young QB with a line that can protect over a big name QB that is on his ass let me think 47 times this year.

fansince'76
12-31-2007, 01:00 AM
I don't care how good Ben is compared to Garrard you all keep forgetting one thing, we don't have an O-Line and Jax does. Give me a young QB with a line that can protect over a big name QB that is on his ass let me think 47 times this year.

And you're forgetting that 1st playoff starts for QBs in general go badly - very badly. Ask Tony Romo and Ben about that one. Garrard is the least of my worries. Taylor and Jones-Drew I'm worried about.

Busman
12-31-2007, 01:06 AM
Well I hate to disagree with my favourite all time running back but I see us losing again to the Jags in our house...

It's impossible to feel as much pain as I have right now..

Fred Taylor will once again run it up and down the field.. The same way we kicked freakin ass when bussie was doin it

Busman

fansince'76
12-31-2007, 01:11 AM
Well I hate to disagree with my favourite all time running back but I see us losing again to the Jags in our house...

It's impossible to feel as much pain as I have right now..

Fred Taylor will once again run it up and down the field.. The same way we kicked freakin ass when bussie was doin it

Busman

Would you have preferred a repeat of last year and having virtually no shot at the playoffs by Halloween? THAT was more painful to me. Right now, I'm holding out hope that the coaching staff will come out with the right game plan and the players will actually execute this time around. We only lost by 7 despite giving up a ton of yards to them last time, and folks make it sound like we lost 70-0 to them. If we contain their running game next week, we win.

Physical Presence
12-31-2007, 03:27 AM
Our offense has got to play well too, especially early on. That was one of the problems with the earlier meeting. Our offense did virtually nothing for three quarters. The only score we got was set up by a shanked punt that we took over at the Jacksonville 30. All those short drives gave our defense little time to rest and once they started giving up long drives, they never stopped.

moedap
12-31-2007, 11:37 AM
Would you have preferred a repeat of last year and having virtually no shot at the playoffs by Halloween? THAT was more painful to me. Right now, I'm holding out hope that the coaching staff will come out with the right game plan and the players will actually execute this time around. We only lost by 7 despite giving up a ton of yards to them last time, and folks make it sound like we lost 70-0 to them. If we contain their running game next week, we win.

I am glad someone else didnt see a "massacre" in the last contest with the Jags like some on this board believes happened. I saw a game where 2 or 3 plays determined the outcome.

Atlanta Dan
12-31-2007, 11:40 AM
I am glad someone else didnt see a "massacre" in the last contest with the Jags like some on this board believes happened. I saw a game where 2 or 3 plays determined the outcome.

But what was disheartening was when the Steelers tied it up at 22 the Jags moved right down the field - same old same old that we saw in the Denver + Jets 4th quarters

After drinking all day the crowd will be primed but if the Jags go ahead early I could see the energy being turned off quickly

geo123
12-31-2007, 12:18 PM
I agree we neeed some early scoring, at least one TD. This should build confidence and take pressure off the D. It's too hard to keep playing catch-up.

Lord Stiller
12-31-2007, 12:25 PM
After drinking all day the crowd will be primed but if the Jags go ahead early I could see the energy being turned off quickly

Not only that but if we are down by more than 7 near the end of the 3rd quarter, half of the stadium will leave

PATHETIC

SteelerFanInCA
12-31-2007, 02:21 PM
How about the fact that the team will be playing next weekend instead of hitting the golf courses and Ben being featured as a guest WC game prognosticator on a pregame show at the same time last year?

That works for me. All I know is that last year at this time the Steelers were sitting at home.

Galax Steeler
12-31-2007, 04:01 PM
I can't wait for the game under the lights on a saturday night in the burgh what could be better.

Rhee Rhee
12-31-2007, 04:29 PM
he couldnt get anything out because he was blinded by the glare from the diamonds on jerome's ring.

nice very nice...

wow i sort of wish jerome would take on the role as a coach or something... it'd be nice to have his presence in the lockeroom...

steel striker
12-31-2007, 10:01 PM
Man some of you have no faith at all and, in 2005 how many of you thought we would win it all? I believe inour team we got to just stop the run and Saturday night we will do just that wait and see.

Borski
12-31-2007, 10:07 PM
Man some of you have no faith at all and, in 2005 how many of you thought we would win it all? I believe inour team we got to just stop the run and Saturday night we will do just that wait and see.

Honestly, then I had a gut feeling something special was happening. But right now we are kinda limping in, I still hold faith that if we can work things out we can beat anybody though. We cant let the Jags beat us twice, we just can't! Lets go guys!:tt02: