PDA

View Full Version : Beliprick* AP Coach of the Year

stillers4me
12-30-2007, 09:12 PM
http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/07364/845185-66.stm

Coach of the Year
My vote for NFL Coach of the Year will go to Greenfield native Mike McCarthy of the Green Bay Packers.

He's done more with less than any NFL coach this season. Last year the Packers were 8-8 with quarterback issues. This year they're the No. 2 seed in the NFC at 12-3.

If I were to pick a second Coach of the Year it would be Wade Phillips. Last year, under the great Bill Parcells, the Cowboys were 9-7 and lost in the first round of the playoffs.

Phillips took over what essentially was the same team and has them with the best record in the NFC at 13-2.

My third vote would go to Tony Dungy, who did what Bill Cowher could not do last season -- not only coached his team into the playoffs but did so with the No. 2 seed after winning a Super Bowl. Dungy allowed no Super Bowl hangover in Indianapolis this year.

And, no, I won't vote for convicted cheaters.

Thank you, Ed!! Hopefully, other journalists will make the same statement. If the league won't take a stand against him*, the rest of us can.~

Godfather
12-30-2007, 09:50 PM
No love for Romeo Crennel? He won ten games with the Clowns. The CLOWNS.

Lord Stiller
12-30-2007, 09:57 PM
McCarthy or Dungy would get my vote

so long as Belicheat doesnt get it I dont care

HometownGal
12-31-2007, 02:23 PM
McCarthy deserves the Coach of the Year honors hands down. He's done a great job with the Pack this season. :thumbsup:

I, too, hope the other sports writers who are casting votes follow in Bouchette's footsteps and slam the door in Beliprick's* face.

Stlrs4Life
12-31-2007, 04:06 PM
McCarthy or Tomlin if ya ask me.

TheWarDen86
12-31-2007, 04:31 PM
Do you guys like Ed Bouchette?

I have mixed feelings on the guy myself. I don't read his Q&A column in the Post-Gazette anymore because of the way he seems to address the fans. I'll admit that some questions are a little...dumb, but some are pretty darn good and he always seems "holier than thou" when answering and I hate that attitude. I also believe he was involved in "pushing/leading" Anthony Smith into that guarantee.

stillers4me
12-31-2007, 04:58 PM
Right now I only care about one less vote for Beliprick*.

tony hipchest
12-31-2007, 05:03 PM

I have mixed feelings on the guy myself. I don't read his Q&A column in the Post-Gazette anymore because of the way he seems to address the fans. I'll admit that some questions are a little...dumb, but some are pretty darn good and he always seems "holier than thou" when answering and I hate that attitude. I also believe he was involved in "pushing/leading" Anthony Smith into that guarantee.i love his articles, columns, chats, appearances on savran, etc.

he is alot less reactionary than the fans, and even though you know he cheers for the team, he doesnt ride the roller coaster, and looks at them objectively. i laugh at the sarcastic tone to alot of the questions he answers.

Atlanta Dan
12-31-2007, 05:12 PM

I have mixed feelings on the guy myself. I don't read his Q&A column in the Post-Gazette anymore because of the way he seems to address the fans. I'll admit that some questions are a little...dumb, but some are pretty darn good and he always seems "holier than thou" when answering and I hate that attitude. I also believe he was involved in "pushing/leading" Anthony Smith into that guarantee.

I am big fan of Ed.B. = he knows the team and has the proper context in his online postings that this is not a matter of life & death with regard to a subject that a segment of the fan base regards as being more important than that

TheWarDen86
12-31-2007, 05:26 PM
I am big fan of Ed.B. = he knows the team and has the proper context in his online postings that this is not a matter of life & death with regard to a subject that a segment of the fan base regards as being more important than that

I know he doesn't pull any punches when he reports. It's evident that he's a Steelers fan (usually), but I just don't see everything the same way he does. In fact, it's about 50/50 for me.

The Anthony Smith thing bothered me. I know he's a big boy, but very inexperienced and that goes for speaking with the media as well. EB took advantage of that and it snowballed up to, throughout and after the game. Anthony Smith never intended to make that guarantee; He was pushed into it.

HometownGal
12-31-2007, 05:29 PM
I can take Ed or leave him. I prefer his columns over Smizik's which is like comparing a porterhouse to a burger. Sometimes I agree with his opinions and sometimes he just leaves me scratchin' my head.

TheWarDen86
12-31-2007, 05:36 PM
I can take Ed or leave him. I prefer his columns over Smizik's which is like comparing a porterhouse to a burger. Sometimes I agree with his opinions and sometimes he just leaves me scratchin' my head.

Yes, exactly.
I knew I could count on you. :wink02:

Godfather
12-31-2007, 09:02 PM
McCarthy or Tomlin if ya ask me.

I love Tomlin, but he had a lot to work with. The Steelers won 6 of their last 8 games in 2006.

McCarthy and Crennel did it with a lot less.

RoethlisBURGHer
12-31-2007, 11:15 PM
I would have to give it to Romeo Crennell.

He took the freaking Cleveland Browns to a 10-6 season. Their first double-digit win season since they went 11-5 in 1994. Hell, he should be crowned the new leader of Pakistan for that feat!

rabidsteelerfan
12-31-2007, 11:49 PM
While some of you are on the topic of Ed, could you guys recommend radio stations or podcasts to listen to off the internet? Being in Nebraska(NOT a husker fan) my steelers fix is majorly limited. I do subscribe to the Junker&Crow podcast and every monday they have Ed on there, it's actually something that I really look forward to, great show, imo.

Searching through itunes I've come across waaaaaaaaaaay to many steelers podcasts that sound like a 15 year old sitting in his parents basement. Anyway, I'd love to hear some recommendations.

I don't mean to derail this thread, my apologizes to the OP if it does.

Rhee Rhee
01-01-2008, 02:24 AM
wade phillips??? ewww hes only great cause he's got great coordinators and the talent level was incredible in dallas

steelergirl07
01-01-2008, 03:24 PM
I'd give my vote to McCarthy or Tomlin. McCarthy took his team to the number 2 seed. That's amazing, considering where they were last season. And Tomlin just because he's a rookie coach that took the Steelers from an 8-8 season to the playoffs.

SGrogan
01-03-2008, 10:12 AM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Apparently so; this writer called up all 50 of the voters and found out that he will.

cubanstogie
01-03-2008, 10:15 AM
tell someone who gives a rats a ss. Del Rio should be coach of the year hands down. how can someone who cheats be coach of the year?

Jeremy
01-03-2008, 10:20 AM
tell someone who gives a rats a ss. Del Rio should be coach of the year hands down. how can someone who cheats be coach of the year?

Because it far easier to be an underdog. New England has huge expectations and lived up to them. Jacksonville has no expectations and exceeded them.

SGrogan
01-03-2008, 01:40 PM
It's official BB is AP's coach of the year per ESPN..Congrats

HometownGal
01-03-2008, 01:45 PM
No way I congratulate that cheating, arrogant PRICK. There were far more other coaches deserving of this award over Beliprick*. Mike McCarthy was ROBBED. It's nice to see that there were 21 sportswriters who didn't give that jagoff a vote.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3179438

Belichick's * AP's coach of year for second time
Associated Press

NEW YORK -- New England's undefeated season now includes yet another achievement: Bill Belichick* is The Associated Press 2007 NFL Coach of the Year*.

The first coach since Don Shula in 1972 to lead his team through a spotless regular season, Belichick* won the award Thursday for the second time in four years. In 2003, the Patriots went 14-2 and won their final 12 games.* This time, Belichick's* team rampaged through the first part of the schedule, then won a handful of close games on their way to 16-0 *.

That was enough to offset the major blemish on Belichick's* resume: a $500,000 personal fine, $250,000 fine for the team and the loss of a first-round pick in the upcoming draft after the Patriots were caught videotaping New York Jets coaches during the season opener.

Spygate didn't stop 29 of the 50 voters on a nationwide panel of media members who cover the NFL from voting for Belichick*. In a season highlighted by many strong coaching performances, Belichick* beat out Green Bay's Mike McCarthy, who received 15 votes for leading the Packers to a 13-3 record and the NFC North title.

"Any time we win we're excited *****," Belichick* said after completing the perfect regular season with a 38-35 victory over the New York Giants. "With the success we've had this season *, [the Giants] game puts a certain little bit more of a degree of satisfaction in that game because of the culmination of the regular season *. But, at the same time, we've got plenty of things that we need to work on."

Also getting votes were Dallas coach Wade Phillips and Jacksonville's Jack Del Rio (two each), and Indianapolis' Tony Dungy and Tampa Bay's Jon Gruden (one each).

The only other Patriots coach to win the award was Belichick's * mentor, Bill Parcells, in 1994.

fansince'76
01-03-2008, 01:51 PM
That was enough to offset the major blemish on Belichick's* resume: a $500,000 personal fine, $250,000 fine for the team and the loss of a first-round pick in the upcoming draft after the Patriots were caught videotaping New York Jets coaches during the season opener.

Win at any cost, right? Another award cheapened.

STEELtownHAVOX
01-03-2008, 02:38 PM
"a date which will live in infamy"

Atlanta Dan
01-03-2008, 04:08 PM
I recall Time Magazine once named Hitler and/or Stalin Man Of The Year

stillers4me
01-03-2008, 04:26 PM
..*

SGrogan
01-03-2008, 04:38 PM
I can understand all the negative feelings but 16-0 is an amazing feat.,.Roger Goddell did determine that the tapes were never used in a game that is why there was no suspension..BB broke the rules but did not cheat according to the NFL office.

He broke the rule and deserved the fine including the taking away of a 1st rounder but cheating has never been proven..

stillers4me
01-03-2008, 04:52 PM
I can understand all the negative feelings but 16-0 is an amazing feat.,.Roger Goddell did determine that the tapes were never used in a game that is why there was no suspension..BB broke the rules but did not cheat according to the NFL office.

He broke the rule and deserved the fine including the taking away of a 1st rounder but cheating has never been proven..

And I suppose that really could have been the first time he misinterpreted the rules............................................. ..................................

HometownGal
01-03-2008, 04:58 PM

No disrespect to you intended SGrogan, but you really need to put down the red, white, blue and silver kool-aid. Of course Goodell made that determination - I'm sure his pockets were lined with pretty green paper by Kraft* to come to the "conclusion" he did and to give Beliprick* nothing more than a little slap on the wrist. Had it been any other owner or HC, they would have been suspended and hit a helluva lot harder - no doubt about it.

Beliprick* is a vile and ruthless CHEAT and nothing is going to change my mind, or the minds of most NFL fans, about it.

SGrogan
01-03-2008, 05:01 PM
And I suppose that really could have been the first time he misinterpreted the rules............................................. ..................................

You raise a good point and no one knows,I do know this I heard BB myself on his weekly radio show on WEEI and Fred Smerlas asked him how does he prepare for a team when there is a new coach at the helm..BB response was I dont really study the head coach that much but the offensive and defensive coordinators and when a new coordinator goes to another team he breaks out the tape and studies them that way and I dont think that is against the rules..You just cant videotape them on th field but you can do it in te stands,makes no sense to me..

steelpride12
01-03-2008, 05:21 PM
McCarthy of Green Bay gets my vote hands down and if Belicheat gets the Coach of the year i will personally my self find him and tie him to a flag pole in the city of Pittsburgh with a sign on his forehead that says FUC# the Steelers!

Atlanta Dan
01-03-2008, 05:34 PM

He conducted surveilance in violation of league rules within a week of a memo going out from the league office to cut the crap, paid a $500K fine, and agreed to forfeit a draft chance..

What exactly do you define as "cheating" and "proof" as opposed to "breaking the rules"? - federal prosecution & the death penalty?

FWIW congrats on adopting a screen name of a player from an era when the Pats still had honor.

Atlanta Dan
01-03-2008, 05:39 PM
You raise a good point and no one knows,I do know this I heard BB myself on his weekly radio show on WEEI and Fred Smerlas asked him how does he prepare for a team when there is a new coach at the helm..BB response was I dont really study the head coach that much but the offensive and defensive coordinators and when a new coordinator goes to another team he breaks out the tape and studies them that way and I dont think that is against the rules..You just cant videotape them on th field but you can do it in te stands,makes no sense to me..

It may not make "sense" to you but that is pretty much how law enforcement works - you cannot pick & choose which rules make "sense" to you and only obey those rules you agree with.

Some people might say it does not make "sense" for Bill Belichick to continue to consume valuable oxygen but they do not have the option of changing that situation without being accountable for their actions.

PisnNapalm
01-03-2008, 05:56 PM
My third vote would go to Tony Dungy, who did what Bill Cowher could not do last season -- not only coached his team into the playoffs but did so with the No. 2 seed after winning a Super Bowl. Dungy allowed no Super Bowl hangover in Indianapolis this year.

All I can say to this is... I wonder how well Peyton Manning would have played after a motorcycle accident, appendectomy, and nasty concussion. It wasn't in Bill Cowher's control.

SGrogan
01-03-2008, 06:12 PM
No disrespect to you intended SGrogan, but you really need to put down the red, white, blue and silver kool-aid. Of course Goodell made that determination - I'm sure his pockets were lined with pretty green paper by Kraft* to come to the "conclusion" he did and to give Beliprick* nothing more than a little slap on the wrist. Had it been any other owner or HC, they would have been suspended and hit a helluva lot harder - no doubt about it.

Beliprick* is a vile and ruthless CHEAT and nothing is going to change my mind, or the minds of most NFL fans, about it.

No disrespect taken, I fully understand your personel feelings and when it's personel no proof in the world will change your mind and Im not trying to do that..Steve Grogan was one of my all time favorites I met him a few times and he just seemed like a regular guy.Football was so simple back then and alot more fun IMO.

I just wonder what if it was Cowher and he was still coaching would you have the same venom towards him. ?

Atlanta Dan
01-03-2008, 06:45 PM
I just wonder what if it was Cowher and he was still coaching would you have the same venom towards him. ?

I admit I would not have the same venom if Cowher did it since I am a Steelers fan but: 1) I do not think Cowher would do it; and 2) I think Cowher would be gone by the next season as the Rooneys handled it.

Belichick acted like a four star jackass long before getting caught for cheating - he was graceless after losing to the Colts last year & holds himself out as a cut above by actions such as not joining the NFL coaches association.

I believe this will all work out and he is going down - if it happens with some injuries to Bruschi, Moss & Brady along the way, well let's just say I will hold up somehow.

HometownGal
01-03-2008, 06:50 PM
No disrespect taken, I fully understand your personel feelings and when it's personel no proof in the world will change your mind and Im not trying to do that..Steve Grogan was one of my all time favorites I met him a few times and he just seemed like a regular guy.Football was so simple back then and alot more fun IMO.

MOST DEFINITELY. I have posted several times on this topic that if the Steelers ever retained a coach who exhibited the behaviors Beliprick* did, I would have to seriously question my support and loyalty to them. Of course that would never be an issue because the Rooneys are people of class and integrity who wouldn't in a million years tolerate such behavior from any employee and would have thrown Beliprick* out the door on his hiney. Bill Cowher also was a man of integrity and wouldn't have ever considered cheating. Same thing goes for the Emperor Chaz.

Steve Grogan was a class act and he will always have my utmost respect. :cheers: You are right - football and professional sports, in general, were so much simpler (and much more enjoyable to follow and support) back in the day.

touchdownward
01-03-2008, 08:03 PM
http://www.time.com/time/magazine/article/0,9171,1699865,00.html

Not related to the article, but didn't Steve Grogan play in a playoff game with a broken leg? :jawdrop: Seems I remember that as a kid.

I-Want-Troy's-Hair
01-03-2008, 08:11 PM
I was always under the impression that coach of the year USUALLY goes to the coach that is able to do the most with the least. It appears that is different this year as coach of the year went to the team with the best use of video equipment in order to get the upper hand on their opponents. Pathetic absolutely pathetic.

CASTEEL
01-04-2008, 12:31 AM

This giving of excuses is what I seriously don't understand.

Why do you suppose he was taping the way he was, to get some fashion clues?

He set out to get an upper hand on the opponent, period.

He is a cheater, and while I will not discredit the Patriots for their great season - it was not perfect, nor should he have been given the honors of Coach of the Year.

Plus the other classless examples of his arrogance on and off the field.

I join those who say I could never imagine someone like him as a coach in Pittsburgh, and for that I'm thankful!

Rhee Rhee
01-04-2008, 02:28 AM
belichick winning coach of the year... im sure if we were cheaters tomlin would be co-coach of the year...

stlrtruck
01-07-2008, 09:20 AM
The media once again rewarding those who are dishonest - there's something new.

I guess next they'll report that some politician lied or had sex with an intern and it's ok!