PDA

View Full Version : LLT has taken over the draft!!!

Pages : 1 [2]

El-Gonzo Jackson
04-18-2008, 02:53 PM
I have a pretty strong rule about avoiding players who have not shown production for at least two years of college...I like Collins...but Nicks I personally would pass on.

That's why I prefer to let the scouts do interviews and make assessments. My suggestions are mostly semi-educated opinions based on what I have seen and read. If Nicks falls far enough and has the right attitude to go with the size and skill set I have no problem with him in the late 2nd or more realistically 3rd round.

One year wonders are always risky.....you can get an Akili Smith or a Marcus Allen, or a Tom Brady.

Rhee Rhee
04-19-2008, 01:34 AM
How about this:

1) Traded to Atlanta for 2.37 and 3.68
2.37). OT Sam Baker
2) DE Kendall Langford
3.68) S Dejuan Morgan
3) OT/OG Mike McGlynn
4) WR Marcus Monk
5) FB/RB Jerome Felton
6) ILB J Lehman

i like your draft.. a LOT one problem is that dAjuan morgan will not be there and langford in the 2nd is a bit of a reach switch them up and it's much better :thumbsup:

anyone who tells u it sucks is crazy.. (especially if they think baker is a C...) (jk 19ward89:flap:)

lamberts-lost-tooth
04-19-2008, 06:27 AM
:sofunny: c'mon LLT, i would think you and i have talked enough draft, that you'd know i was joking about baker..... at someone else's expense of course....:flap: ( hipchest has been a bad influence ) :wink02:

aw...Tony IS the root of all evil.

lamberts-lost-tooth
04-19-2008, 06:30 AM
All right...here we go again, this is the final picks....(Langford still worries me as to whether he will be available in the third round)

1) OT Gosder Cherilus
2) CB/FS Charles Godfrey
3) DE Kendall Langford
4) WR Paul Hubbard
5) RB/FB Jerome Felton
6) OC Fernando Velasco

Aussie_steeler
04-19-2008, 06:40 AM
G'day LLT. Just got home and logged on

Can you give me a quick run down about what has happened in draftgeek world in the past 9 days?

I can live with those 6 picks.

Texasteel
04-19-2008, 06:54 AM
Still not sure about Cherilus, but will very happy to be wrong. He is the last of the OT that will being a 1st round pick. I am starting to get the Timmons feeling that I was getting last year just before the draft, so I agree he will be the pick. Next year will probably be a better year for OTs, maybe we can pick up one for the other side and build a great line agine.

The rest I like a bunch.

Galax Steeler
04-19-2008, 06:57 AM
Still not sure about Cherilus, but will very happy to be wrong. He is the last of the OT that will being a 1st round pick. I am starting to get the Timmons feeling that I was getting last year just before the draft, so I agree he will be the pick. Next year will probably be a better year for OTs, maybe we can pick up one for the other side and build a great line agine.

The rest I like a bunch.

I am getting the same feeling you are getting I am not sure abut cherilus either.

Texasteel
04-19-2008, 07:11 AM
Now watch them cross all of us and take Balmer.

lamberts-lost-tooth
04-19-2008, 09:10 AM
G'day LLT. Just got home and logged on

Can you give me a quick run down about what has happened in draftgeek world in the past 9 days?

I can live with those 6 picks.

Well...I have been going back and forth on the 1st pick....but it really came down to this:

Our two biggest needs are pretty obviously...O-line and DB....in both situation we have a starter coming off injury (Smith and Clark)...and in both situations we have starters on their last year of their contract. I place OT as priority due to lack of Power Blocking OT's that will be available in the 2nd round...and the availability of VERY good DB's in that same round.

We have a need at DE...but it is a need for depth since we have our two returning starters...the same can be said for WR, and I forsee us getting Ben his "big recievier either with Hubbard or Urrutia...I think that we WILL see a RB picked up but outside of Stewart, all the legit power backs that fit our system are round 4-UDFA ...Velasco is an OG/OC power blocker and based on our line problems last year he would be good insurance and great value in the sixth.

Depth at DT and the Front Office pre-draft interest in LBers...are the unknowns that I had to think about and prioritize.

lamberts-lost-tooth
04-19-2008, 09:16 AM

The rest I like a bunch.

I understand...In a perfect world we would get Otah...but I think that Cherilus may end up being a VERY good RT...

...and part of my reasoning for that pick is...."getting that Timmons feeling"....so I know where you are coming from.

El-Gonzo Jackson
04-19-2008, 10:28 AM
We have a need at DE...but it is a need for depth since we have our two returning starters....

I think that it is safe to say there is only 1 returning "starter" and that is Smith. 2 full seasons have shown that Keisel has gotten the chance to start......but doesnt play like a "starter" should.

I think Taylor, McFadden, Townsend, Gay, Polamalu, Smith, Clark is a much more solid corps than the DE group of Smith, Keisel, Eason, Kirshke. A DE needs to be drafted in the first 3 rounds before a DB!!!!

lamberts-lost-tooth
04-19-2008, 10:41 AM
I think that it is safe to say there is only 1 returning "starter" and that is Smith. 2 full seasons have shown that Keisel has gotten the chance to start......but doesnt play like a "starter" should.

I think Taylor, McFadden, Townsend, Gay, Polamalu, Smith, Clark is a much more solid corps than the DE group of Smith, Keisel, Eason, Kirshke. A DE needs to be drafted in the first 3 rounds before a DB!!!!

I actually agree that we will draft a DE in the first three rounds...thats why I have Langford in round 3.

I'm not as down on Kiesel as you are..but I think we are "pretty" close to the same ideology. I have less faith that our starting FS can have an internal organ removed and be ready for this season. ..but you could switch 2 & 3 and still get legit players.

Texasteel
04-19-2008, 01:03 PM
I agree that Keisel did not play real well last year. Thats why in a mock I put out a couple days ago I took Moore in the 2nd round, not that I don't like Langford , love the kid and you may hear me yelling all the way to Pittsburgh if we get him. I just thing Moore will be ready to start sooner. That would let Keisel go back to the position he has shown he can hand very well, backup DE.

7 More Days. I love this stuff.

Texasteel
04-19-2008, 03:10 PM
I understand...In a perfect world we would get Otah...but I think that Cherilus may end up being a VERY good RT...

...and part of my reasoning for that pick is...."getting that Timmons feeling"....so I know where you are coming from.

Let me explain something. I started the year watching Cherilus every chance I got expecting to be blown away. Well they changed his position, and he played the rest of the year trying to learn a new position and look confused most of the time. I know I am being overly critical, but at my age you don't have to be reasonable, just colorful.

To those as critical of him as I have been, I have no reason to beleave that he would be anything other than a fine RT. If you toss out this year that his coach probably fouled him up, and look at how he played before that, he would be well worth a 1st round pick.

This is the way that we all have to look at it because, odds are he will be a Steeler next year, and the 1st step to rebuilding a monster offencive line.

lamberts-lost-tooth
04-19-2008, 03:34 PM
Let me explain something. I started the year watching Cherilus every chance I got expecting to be blown away. Well they changed his position, and he played the rest of the year trying to learn a new position and look confused most of the time. I know I am being overly critical, but at my age you don't have to be reasonable, just colorful.

To those as critical of him as I have been, I have no reason to beleave that he would be anything other than a fine RT. If you toss out this year that his coach probably fouled him up, and look at how he played before that, he would be well worth a 1st round pick.

This is the way that we all have to look at it because, odds are he will be a Steeler next year, and the 1st step to rebuilding a monster offencive line.

You have touched on what we have to do... to truly judge Cherilus correctly....if we only look at his senior year in which he was trying to learn the new position, we can find all kinds of faults...if you look at his body of work at the RT position...you might...MIGHT...be looking a player that will give you 10 solid years of production.

...I'll take that.

El-Gonzo Jackson
04-19-2008, 08:21 PM
I actually agree that we will draft a DE in the first three rounds...thats why I have Langford in round 3.

I'm not as down on Kiesel as you are..but I think we are "pretty" close to the same ideology. I have less faith that our starting FS can have an internal organ removed and be ready for this season. ..but you could switch 2 & 3 and still get legit players.

I just think that Keisel was a downgrade over VonOlhoffen at DE and hasnt done anything in the past 2 seasons to prove otherwise. Its not like Kimo was making a ton of pro bowls either, so Keisel can be upgraded and should be.

As for FS, I think a lot of people got down on Smith after the NE game and it wasnt fair. He is young, aggressive and probably better suited to SS......something that was said of Chris Hope for a few seasons. In the end I believe Polamalu and Smith will be a fine starting tandem....another vet for competition should help also.

El-Gonzo Jackson
04-19-2008, 08:23 PM
You have touched on what we have to do... to truly judge Cherilus correctly....if we only look at his senior year in which he was trying to learn the new position, we can find all kinds of faults...if you look at his body of work at the RT position...you might...MIGHT...be looking a player that will give you 10 solid years of production.

...I'll take that.

Yeah, I belive that a solid RT is worthy of a #23 pick. I didnt like what I saw at the SR. Bowl and on film of him, but believe he is better suited to the right side and will do well there. Pick him already and cut Starks.

lamberts-lost-tooth
04-20-2008, 04:13 AM
Yeah, I belive that a solid RT is worthy of a #23 pick. I didnt like what I saw at the SR. Bowl and on film of him, but believe he is better suited to the right side and will do well there. Pick him already and cut Starks.

Do you think thats that plan..or do you think they cut the older-injured Smith who is on the last year of his contract...with plans to move Starkes to the LT position? They seemed pretty pleased with Starks play on the left side at the end of the season.

lamberts-lost-tooth
04-20-2008, 04:28 AM
I just think that Keisel was a downgrade over VonOlhoffen at DE and hasnt done anything in the past 2 seasons to prove otherwise. Its not like Kimo was making a ton of pro bowls either, so Keisel can be upgraded and should be.

As for FS, I think a lot of people got down on Smith after the NE game and it wasnt fair. He is young, aggressive and probably better suited to SS......something that was said of Chris Hope for a few seasons. In the end I believe Polamalu and Smith will be a fine starting tandem....another vet for competition should help also.

That is why I want a hybrid DB like Charles Godfrey or even Mike Jenkins....one who is insurance at the FS position if Clark returns or Smith doesnt get his confidence back....and one that could be an upgrade at CB over Deshea if FS ends up being okay.

Aussie_steeler
04-20-2008, 06:34 AM
That is why I want a hybrid DB like Charles Godfrey or even Mike Jenkins....one who is insurance at the FS position if Clark returns or Smith doesnt get his confidence back....and one that could be an upgrade at CB over Deshea if FS ends up being okay.

Deshea has been a great team man for a long while, what are the chances of him moving to FS as a backup in his last years. That would allow for a good CB to be taken and not a long shot at safety.

Rhee Rhee
04-20-2008, 07:19 AM
as anti-gosder cherilus i am, i am facing facts and realizing that its 100% possible he's there and a VERY good possibility we take him so here goes...

1) Gosder Cherilus RT BC (and RT only)
2) Charles Godfrey FS/CB IOWA
3) Kendall Langford DE (i'm praying he's here like everyone else)
4) Arman Shields WR Richmond (people have been overstating BR's comments about a big reciever for a while and it's getting a tad irritating... but shields is a hines ward clone and would be great in the slot next to ward and holmes (similar also to welker)...)
5) Mackenzy Bernadeau OG Bentley (will need time to develope but can start next year)
6) Vince Redd DE/OLB Liberty (perfect 3-4 rusher who stands 6'6 255 and runs 4.5 speed... top athleticism... has played DE and OLB... one problem with him is strength 13 reps of 225... i realize that's shet but with the NFL comes NFL strength and conditioning coaches..)

FA pickups:

Tony Pauline of SI.com said "Thaddeus Coleman, T, Mississippi Valley State is the best-kept secret at the offensive tackle position. He stands a shade under 6-8 yet has the athleticism and footwork necessary to protect the blind side. Coleman is fresh off meeting with the Minnesota Vikings and has a host of other squads who want to speak with him. (projected draft position 6,7,UDFA)

lamberts-lost-tooth
04-20-2008, 07:21 AM
Deshea has been a great team man for a long while, what are the chances of him moving to FS as a backup in his last years. That would allow for a good CB to be taken and not a long shot at safety.

Godfrey played his first two years of college at FS...and was athletic and fast enough to move to CB...Most of what I hear is that given two years in a pro system ...he could be as good as any CB in this draft...and we would have the insurance of his being able to play FS in a pinch. (I wouldnt qualify him as a long shot)

I have heard rumor of moving Deshea to FS...but nothing definitive from the FO or Coaching Staff....If we go with a player like Tracy Porter...I would be happy to have Deshea compete eith Clark and Smith!!!

lamberts-lost-tooth
04-20-2008, 07:42 AM
as anti-gosder cherilus i am, i am facing facts and realizing that its 100% possible he's there and a VERY good possibility we take him so here goes...

1) Gosder Cherilus RT BC (and RT only)
2) Charles Godfrey FS/CB IOWA
3) Kendall Langford DE (i'm praying he's here like everyone else)
4) Arman Shields WR Richmond (people have been overstating BR's comments for awhile it's a little irritating... a hines ward clone...)
5) Mackenzy Bernadeau OG Bentley (will need time to develope but can start next year)
6) Vince Redd DE/OLB Liberty (perfect 3-4 rusher who stands 6'6 255 and runs 4.5 speed... top athleticism... has played DE and OLB... one problem with him is strength 13 reps of 225... i realize that's shet but with the NFL comes NFL strength and conditioning coaches..)

FA pickups:

Tony Pauline of SI.com said "Thaddeus Coleman, T, Mississippi Valley State is the best-kept secret at the offensive tackle position. He stands a shade under 6-8 yet has the athleticism and footwork necessary to protect the blind side. Coleman is fresh off meeting with the Minnesota Vikings and has a host of other squads who want to speak with him. (projected draft position 6,7,UDFA)

I like your Arman Shields pick....he had the highest verticle at the combine (37.5.)and ran a 4.37....and if we were to get him...it would have to be in the 4th...he will be gone by the end of the 5th round

I still think we may go with one of the following three:
Paul Hubbard, 6'3 .. 221lbs
Marcus Monk, 6'4...222 lbs
Ernie Wheelwright, 6'4...215lbs

Texasteel
04-20-2008, 07:52 AM
I don't think that Ernie Wheelwright is to well know to most fan, but could be a draft day suprize, and a heak of a pickup.

I still like Monk.

I know you are leaning toward Hubbard.

Aussie_steeler
04-20-2008, 08:54 AM
All right...here we go again, this is the final picks....(Langford still worries me as to whether he will be available in the third round)

1) OT Gosder Cherilus
2) CB/FS Charles Godfrey
3) DE Kendall Langford
4) WR Paul Hubbard
5) RB/FB Jerome Felton
6) OC Fernando Velasco

I am inclined to play it very safe after reading up on all the players that have been in for visits and I could seriously see this eventuating based on scouting and interviews.

1) RT Gosder Cherilus
2) DE Dre Moore
3) OLB Shawn Crable
4) WR Paul Hubbard
5) CB Orlando Scandrick
6) FB/RB Jerome Felton

UDFA's
FS Matt Slater (ST Returner /gunner) UCLA
OLB Bryan Smith McNeese State
OG Kerry Brown Appalachian State
RB Ryan Torain Arizona state
FB/TE Michael Peterson NW Missouri state

#If Antwaun Molden CB, Eastern Kentucky is still available early in the 4th I can see the FO trading up to get him before the browns use their first pick

Stlrs4Life
04-20-2008, 12:10 PM
We gave up a 7th rounder form Rossom.

El-Gonzo Jackson
04-20-2008, 02:32 PM
I am inclined to play it very safe after reading up on all the players that have been in for visits and I could seriously see this eventuating based on scouting and interviews.

1) RT Gosder Cherilus
2) DE Dre Moore
3) OLB Shawn Crable
4) WR Paul Hubbard
5) CB Orlando Scandrick
6) FB/RB Jerome Felton

UDFA's
FS Matt Slater (ST Returner /gunner) UCLA
OLB Bryan Smith McNeese State
OG Kerry Brown Appalachian State
RB Ryan Torain Arizona state
FB/TE Michael Peterson NW Missouri state

#If Antwaun Molden CB, Eastern Kentucky is still available early in the 4th I can see the FO trading up to get him before the browns use their first pick

Gotta say I like how you are thinking and like LLT's as well....but as a Michigan fan I really would rather stay away from Crable. I dont think he will be productive in the NFL. Tall, lean, weak at the point of attack and his best asset is pass rush ability but will be handled by OT's as either a DE or 3-4 OLB. Classic good college player but not an NFL type guy. IMO.

Texasteel
04-20-2008, 03:45 PM
Big ten fan all my life, and I agree with Gonzo about Crable.

Question for LLT. We are sitting at our 2nd round pick, both Moore and Langford are there, and we knew that we had to take one of them or miss on both of them. Who do you take?

lamberts-lost-tooth
04-21-2008, 05:18 AM
Big ten fan all my life, and I agree with Gonzo about Crable.

Question for LLT. We are sitting at our 2nd round pick, both Moore and Langford are there, and we knew that we had to take one of them or miss on both of them. Who do you take?

Win/Win situation.

Moore has a higher potential ceiling...but will there would be a learning curve from DT to DE and he would probably have to drop about 15 lbs for maximum ability.
All that being said...the wait would be worth having that type of athleticism and strength.

Langford is a proto-typical 3-4 DE...but his knock is going from smaller school competition to the NFL. He has the size/strength we are looking for and showed a mean streak at the senior bowl that impressed scouts.

Moore is stronger and actually more athletic...and may be the better DE of the two this time next year...so in the scenerio you suggest... if both are available... I would take Moore.

BUT....I think that Moore is gone by the end of the second....and Langford would be there for us...maybe even as late as our third pick. so realistically, it is probably more likely we would take Langford.

lamberts-lost-tooth
04-21-2008, 05:26 AM

1) RT Gosder Cherilus
2) DE Dre Moore
3) OLB Shawn Crable
4) WR Paul Hubbard
5) CB Orlando Scandrick
6) FB/RB Jerome Felton

I like it Aussie....I wonder if the Steelers may go with Avril at OLB in the second...CB Tyvon Branch in the third.....(gotta love the possibilities!!!)

Aussie_steeler
04-21-2008, 07:01 AM
I like it Aussie....I wonder if the Steelers may go with Avril at OLB in the second...CB Tyvon Branch in the third.....(gotta love the possibilities!!!)

I think they would dearly love Groves in the second but he will be gone. I know some people dont like it but a DE/OLB hybrid will be taken to compensate for the loss of Haggans and the ageing of Harrison.

I am not sold on Avril, so Moore is better value in the 2nd. Branch would be a great pick up in the third. I was watching Molden but he is this weeks Brandon Albert and is screaming up the boards.

My lingering question is who provides quality at DE after Langford is gone in the third. I dont see anyone who fits our scheme in the later rounds who will possibly make the move to starter in 2-3 years. I just see more players like McBean. To me we have to have a DE in the first three rounds.

Note: for the first time ever the first day of the draft is being broadcast live into Australia on ESPN. Boy am I looking forward to it:tt02::tt02:

lamberts-lost-tooth
04-21-2008, 09:01 AM
I think they would dearly love Groves in the second but he will be gone. I know some people dont like it but a DE/OLB hybrid will be taken to compensate for the loss of Haggans and the ageing of Harrison.

I am not sold on Avril, so Moore is better value in the 2nd. Branch would be a great pick up in the third. I was watching Molden but he is this weeks Brandon Albert and is screaming up the boards.

My lingering question is who provides quality at DE after Langford is gone in the third. I dont see anyone who fits our scheme in the later rounds who will possibly make the move to starter in 2-3 years. I just see more players like McBean. To me we have to have a DE in the first three rounds.

Note: for the first time ever the first day of the draft is being broadcast live into Australia on ESPN. Boy am I looking forward to it:tt02::tt02:

Looking outside the first two rounds:

As far as true 3-4 DE's....Check out Jason Jones in the 3rd... Brian Johnston in the 4th...Kenny Iwebema in the 5th...Marcus Dixon in the 7th

Also check out hybrid DT's ...Nick Hayden as a 4th rounder (I like this guy)...Lionel Dotson in the 6th...Keilen Dykes in the 6th..and Chris Norwell in the 7th .

Very cool that you will get to watch it!!!!!!!!!!!

Aussie_steeler
04-21-2008, 07:13 PM

As far as true 3-4 DE's....Check out Jason Jones in the 3rd... Brian Johnston in the 4th...Kenny Iwebema in the 5th...Marcus Dixon in the 7th

Also check out hybrid DT's ...Nick Hayden as a 4th rounder (I like this guy)...Lionel Dotson in the 6th...Keilen Dykes in the 6th..and Chris Norwell in the 7th .

I think most of the guys mentioned above would make solid backups, much like what we have. I think it is time to put a young stud onto the D line to become the future core to build around for when the time comes that we dont have Aaron and Casey around. You have probably guessed that I am big on succession planning ( a hang up from work)

found this little snippet on Brian Johnston that you might like to read.

Gardner-Webb defensive end Brian Johnston could go as high as the third round. I have heard many scouts from 4-3 teams say they absolutely love him. Few know this, but his 10 yard split at his Pro Day was the same as Darren McFadden's. Also, his Pro Day shuttle time bested every defensive lineman and running back at the Combine in Indianapolis! I think Rashard Mendenhall may've tied his number, but the dude is a freak. I know a lot teams think he could be the next Aaron Kampman or Jared Allen.

DD.comment: We'd like to thank this anonymous N.F.L. source for all the great tidbits and opinions he's given us since the 2007 Combine. Also, DD.com friend/ contributor Josh Buchanan has told us former Gardner-Webb star Brian Johnston is drawing very heavy interest from Tennessee, Kansas City and the N.E. Patriots. Tennessee has a coach that went to Gardner-Webb so they know a lot about him. Also, they have a huge void at defensive end with Travis LaBoy and Antwan Odom leaving via free agency.

http://www.draftdaddy.com/blog/nfldraft.cfm

I am looking forward to both being online with you guys and watching live to get a true draft day experience. Looks like I will be up at 4am here to start watching with the rest of you.

Texasteel
04-21-2008, 08:25 PM

I'm afraid Jones would be a little light to play DE for us and would have to gain weight or play OLB, if we are going that direction I'm not sure I don't like Thomson from Wake Forest.

I really like Nick Haden as well, but think a backup plan of Brian Johnson at DE would be the best way to go.

I agree with you that Moore will not reach us in the 2nd, and Langford may not be there at our 3rd round pick. Have said that I for one will be hoping to Langford in the 2nd and the best CB in the 3rd.

lamberts-lost-tooth
04-22-2008, 10:18 AM
I'm afraid Jones would be a little light to play DE for us and would have to gain weight or play OLB, if we are going that direction I'm not sure I don't like Thomson from Wake Forest.

I really like Nick Haden as well, but think a backup plan of Brian Johnson at DE would be the best way to go.

I agree with you that Moore will not reach us in the 2nd, and Langford may not be there at our 3rd round pick. Have said that I for one will be hoping to Langford in the 2nd and the best CB in the 3rd.

Believe it or not...Jones is only about 5 lbs lighter than Brian Johnson...But again, I agree with you about Nick Haden...he is a monster as far as sheer strength...The right coach might be able to light a fire under him and we can get some real value in the later rounds.

lilyoder6
04-22-2008, 10:31 AM
if he there i would take a look at trevor laws in the 2nd rd... he had a good career at de at nd.. could come in and help nicely

Texasteel
04-22-2008, 08:07 PM
Believe it or not...Jones is only about 5 lbs lighter than Brian Johnson...But again, I agree with you about Nick Haden...he is a monster as far as sheer strength...The right coach might be able to light a fire under him and we can get some real value in the later rounds.

I think Jones is a fine play and couldn't complain at all if we got him.

As for Haden, I would not mind taking him late even if we did get Langford. For sure if we could pick up a couple more picks like the FO is talking.

lamberts-lost-tooth
04-24-2008, 06:45 AM
I think Jones is a fine play and couldn't complain at all if we got him.

As for Haden, I would not mind taking him late even if we did get Langford. For sure if we could pick up a couple more picks like the FO is talking.

The draft looks deep enough that trading down seems to be the smart play....The closer we get to this draft the more everything starts to come into focus..and the more exciting it becomes!!!

DACEB
04-26-2008, 10:00 AM
I wanted to say thanks to everyone that made this years ride to the draft so much fun. Special thanks to LLT who always has a ton of info, and really keeps us all going.

Good luck to us all today and tommorrow!

lamberts-lost-tooth
04-26-2008, 10:15 AM
Thanks DACEB....I have to work but will only miss the first hour of the draft...then I am laying on the couch with my draft sheet and value chart.

I come back in tommorrow morning and will try and give some info on our first two picks:tt02:

lamberts-lost-tooth
04-27-2008, 05:26 AM
Wow.

I had Mendenhall ranked #9 and Sweed ranked #28 on my draft sheets....Both players are great pickups...and with no legit OT's left at either of those positions, I have to congratulate the Steelers FO for not reaching for a player....but instead they got incredible value at both picks.

It will be interesting today to see how we fill our needs on the O-Line...DE...D-back...and LB.

(Charles Godfrey...Dre Moore are still on the board but should be taken in the third)

Aussie_steeler
04-27-2008, 06:16 AM
I wanted to say thanks to everyone that made this years ride to the draft so much fun. Special thanks to LLT who always has a ton of info, and really keeps us all going.

Good luck to us all today and tommorrow!

I with you totally DACEB. This has been the most fun over the last 12 months for me on this forum.

My hat is off to LLT and MOP who have made this ride a blast.:tt02:

Wow.

I had Mendenhall ranked #9 and Sweed ranked #28 on my draft sheets....Both players are great pickups...and with no legit OT's left at either of those positions, I have to congratulate the Steelers FO for not reaching for a player....but instead they got incredible value at both picks.

It will be interesting today to see how we fill our needs on the O-Line...DE...D-back...and LB.

(Charles Godfrey...Dre Moore are still on the board but should be taken in the third)

I am hoping for Dre Moore to fall LLT. I think he would be dynamite at RDE, more so than Langford who will realistically be the pick.

In the 4th I see an OT. Will the steelers take Carl Nicks with his legal issues. he would be awesome value but he does not have steeler character. I see Mike Mcglynn.

Would it be too much to ask for Shawn Crable to fall to the 5th (maybe). I think it will be the hardest position to fill without making a reach. Probably Bryan Smith in the 6th makes sense.

Back to rounds 1 & 2. Both totally awesome picks the way they unfolded. I think the steelers could not have chosen better for value at each spot.

I am suprised that Dan Connor, Cliff Avril, Early Doucet and Charles Godfrey are still sitting there. There were some amazing reaches today.

Cheers to another fine day in black and gold:drink:

Texasteel
04-27-2008, 07:31 AM
I don't see much realistic about this draft so far Aussie. Our 1st round pick should have been taken 10 to 12 picks before he got to us, and our 2nd round pick shouldn't have even gotten into that round. I'm half expecting to hear we traded our 3 rounder off for Bob Sanders. I expect us to get a very usable OT today and the way it is going have one of the top 2 drafts with just 6 picks.

lamberts-lost-tooth
05-04-2008, 11:37 AM
Wanted to wrap up this thread with a few thoughts.

This specific thread has been alot of fun for me this year. It took alot of time, research..referencing and cross-referencing...evaluating and reevaluating...but I have enjoyed the sharing of information and appreciate the fact that this forum and its members are without a doubt the most educated on the draft picks of 2008.

Thanks to all who helped find hidden gems...sleepers...and players that fit the "Steeler" mentality. We had no way of knowing that our FO would go in a completely different (and somewhat enjoyable) direction then we planned...but we should all take some satisfaction in seeing that alot of our "sleepers" crept up the boards and were taken pretty close to the rounds that we had predicted.

A big thumbs up to all who participated...it made this off-season fun and informative!!! (over 5,000 hits!!!)
:thumbsup:

LLT