PDA

View Full Version : LLT has taken over the draft!!!

Pages : [1] 2

lamberts-lost-tooth
12-31-2007, 07:20 AM
I have taken over the Steelers computers and will be making the draft choices for the next year....

Round 1) OT Michael Oher-Ole Miss
Round 2) CB Dwight Lowery-San Jose State
Round 3) OG Drew Radovich-USC
Round 4) DE Kendall Langford-Hampton
Round 5) C Doug Legursky- Marshall
Round 6) (I believe this is the pick we gave up fro Rossum)
Round 7) S Jamie Silva-Boston College

FA pickups:
LB Carlos Dansby
OT Travelle Wharton
WR Justin Gage

Okay folks....what says the Steeler Nation?
Do I get the job permanantly?
Or should I keep the day job?

Jeremy
12-31-2007, 11:25 AM
No to Silva.

lamberts-lost-tooth
12-31-2007, 01:10 PM
No to Silva.

Have you seen him play?...he would be a special teams demon...and would make the team based on that alone. Thats light-years away from what we usually get in the 7th

Jeremy
12-31-2007, 01:38 PM
Have you seen him play?...he would be a special teams demon...and would make the team based on that alone. Thats light-years away from what we usually get in the 7th

4 different games this season. I still say no. As an UDFA sure, but not when we need all our picks to fix the problems that currently exist.

ShutDown24
12-31-2007, 01:53 PM
I have taken over the Steelers computers and will be making the draft choices for the next year....

FA pickups:
LB Carlos Dansby
OT Travelle Wharton
WR Justin Gage

Doesn't sound bad. I don't really like the Dansby signing or Dwight Lowery pick... But other than that pretty good across the board. I would LOVE to have Gage.

Jeremy
12-31-2007, 02:02 PM
Doesn't sound bad. I don't really like the Dansby signing or Dwight Lowery pick... But other than that pretty good across the board. I would LOVE to have Gage.

The only corner I like is Cason.

lamberts-lost-tooth
12-31-2007, 02:54 PM
4 different games this season. I still say no. As an UDFA sure, but not when we need all our picks to fix the problems that currently exist.

Really...please tell me the last time we have fixed a problem with a 7th round pick :dang:

...and what part of being a finalist for the Thorpe award...an All-American...a Bowl MVP...having 175 tackles and 8 picks....would make you think he will be undrafted?....My 7th round placement is based on where he is ranked now, but I would bet he will go by the 5th round.

ShutDown24
12-31-2007, 03:15 PM
Really...please tell me the last time we have fixed a problem with a 7th round pick

That is true; a lot of teams use their 7th round pick on a high risk high reward ‘skill’ player like a quarterback or receiver... They almost never work out but sometimes you can find a gem. (Marques Colston) So I think Silva is a pretty good move here.

lamberts-lost-tooth
12-31-2007, 03:50 PM
That is true; a lot of teams use their 7th round pick on a high risk high reward ?skill? player like a quarterback or receiver... They almost never work out but sometimes you can find a gem. (Marques Colston) So I think Silva is a pretty good move here.

Not to mention the fact that if "fixing a problem" is the priority...special teams might be a good place to start

lamberts-lost-tooth
12-31-2007, 03:55 PM

Here is why I like Lowery:

Dwight Lowery, San Jose State
Height: 6-1. Weight: 185.
40 Time: 4.38.
Projected Round: 2.
An interception machine, Dwight Lowery led the nation with nine picks in 2006 after registering 13 in 15 games at a Junior College...Has been timed as fast as 4.26

MasterOfPuppets
12-31-2007, 04:20 PM

FA pickups:
LB Carlos Dansby
OT Travelle Wharton
WR Justin Gage

:thumbsup:...looks good to me. oher probably won't be an option. his stock has been rising all season.he may end up being the 2nd tackle off the board. somebody like otah may be a more realistic pick. while i still think another option at guard is important, after a season of mayhan at center ,i now think finding a center may trump guard in order of needs. unless of course stapleton is a well kept secret.....:hunch:....

ShutDown24
12-31-2007, 04:26 PM
Here is why I like Lowery:

Projected Round: 2.
An interception machine, Dwight Lowery led the nation with nine picks in 2006 after registering 13 in 15 games at a Junior College...Has been timed as fast as 4.26

It isn't that I don't like him or want him because I do; I just feel we are better off at corner than most people think to take one that early.

MasterOfPuppets
12-31-2007, 05:07 PM
It isn't that I don't like him or want him because I do; I just feel we are better off at corner than most people think to take one that early. 536 passes attempted against the D.......11 int's.....3 by lber's
thats an int every 67 attempts by our db's......6 by cb's,a pick every 89.3 att....not good...:coffee:

xXTheSteelKingsXx
12-31-2007, 07:03 PM
:thumbsup:...looks good to me. oher probably won't be an option. his stock has been rising all season.he may end up being the 2nd tackle off the board.

But Pittsburgh has traded up in the past to get players that they really want. If he last past 15, I could see us trading up to grab him.

MasterOfPuppets
12-31-2007, 07:37 PM
But Pittsburgh has traded up in the past to get players that they really want. If he last past 15, I could see us trading up to grab him.
with the gapping holes and lack of quality depth on both lines .......on second thought, just about every position, i don't think they have the luxury of giving up picks, in package deals, as they have in the past. i could be wrong, but i think this team is in serious trouble , between losing players to FA,and aging vets. if they don't score some solid players in this draft, and if some of these young guys don't step up..( colon, stapleton,woodly, timmons,etc...), IMO, the future doesn't look good.

MasterOfPuppets
12-31-2007, 07:42 PM
Ike needs to spend his offseason with a jugs machine. The guy couldn't catch a cold, but somehow is always in good position and if he could catch could easily be a great corner.
:huh:..how's a breast pump gonna help ??? :toofunny:

i agree...he should EASILY, have 10 picks this year !!!

ShutDown24
12-31-2007, 07:52 PM
Ike needs to spend his offseason with a jugs machine. The guy couldn't catch a cold, but somehow is always in good position and if he could catch could easily be a great corner.

Not to high-hack this thread but...

Ike played running back in college but was moved to DB because he struggled with catching passes out of the backfield. Ike is a great corner already; he can stay with almost anyone. Most of the time he even gets in position to make a pick it is because he jumps it, not just because of a blind throw. He would be one of the absolute best in the league if he could catch, but even without that skill he is elite. Plus, if he could catch he would most likely still be at running back - He was a pretty good one.

BTW: Anyone who thinks more interceptions means someone is a better corner, you need to study the position quite a bit better. DeAngello Hall is often among the league lead in interceptions, but that means nothing. He takes chances every game to make a big play and in turn gives up two or three. Players such as Namdi Asumougha and Champ Bailey on the other hand don't get many picks because they shut down their receiver. If the ball is being thrown your way in the first place as a corner, you usually didn't do your job right. Ike is more of the latter type of cornerback, the type that most teams want over an interception artist.

Rhee Rhee
12-31-2007, 11:04 PM
how is silva so low? he's an all-american! although i love jamie as a player theres no way hes a 7th rounder UNLESS he runs a 4.7-4.8...

the rest of the draft is GREAT! although by picking up dansby is a huge question mark because y would the cards give up someone like him?

lamberts-lost-tooth
01-01-2008, 08:33 AM
:thumbsup:...looks good to me. oher probably won't be an option. his stock has been rising all season.he may end up being the 2nd tackle off the board. somebody like otah may be a more realistic pick. while i still think another option at guard is important, after a season of mayhan at center ,i now think finding a center may trump guard in order of needs. unless of course stapleton is a well kept secret.....:hunch:....

I agree that Center may trump guard, you are right on the money....but when looking at the draft class and taking value into consideration....I REALLY liked the guard and center I put into my draft at those rounds...Radovich is probably one of the top 2 or 3 "athletic" guards coming out..and Legursky is one of my picks as a sleeper that may start very early.

Also agree with Otah being a possibility...We are incredibly lucky that the OT class this year is top heavy.

lamberts-lost-tooth
01-01-2008, 08:46 AM
how is silva so low? he's an all-american! although i love jamie as a player theres no way hes a 7th rounder UNLESS he runs a 4.7-4.8...

the rest of the draft is GREAT! although by picking up dansby is a huge question mark because y would the cards give up someone like him?

Silva runs in the 4.5 range...but alot of "experts" see him as a tweener and doesnt quite perfectly fit as a safety or as a linebacker. Your right though, any of us that have seen him play know that he will probably rise in the draft....but as of right now he is ranked as a 7th rounder. I used the current rankings but would guess that Silva may end up being a 4-5 rounder before all is said and done.

Jeremy
01-01-2008, 09:12 AM

Nobody I've read so far thinks he can hang physically in the NFL. He's a special teamer and that's all.

lamberts-lost-tooth
01-01-2008, 09:14 AM
Nobody I've read so far thinks he can hang physically in the NFL. He's a special teamer and that's all.

Really...show me the link.

Jeremy
01-01-2008, 09:17 AM
Really...show me the link.

Why are you so hung up on this kid?

lamberts-lost-tooth
01-01-2008, 09:21 AM
Why are you so hung up on this kid?

Not hung up on the kid...just very interested in what sites you are getting this information from. Seems to be contrary to what I'm reading and I love to be well-rounded in my opinion,,,

So a link would be appreciated.

Jeremy
01-01-2008, 09:24 AM
Not hung up on the kid...just very interested in what sites you are getting this information from. Seems to be contrary to what I'm reading and I love to be well-rounded in my opinion,,,

So a link would be appreciated.

Sorry, but I don't bookmark these sites and I'm not going to Google them.

Bottom line is that I think the kids plays on a second class team in a second class conference and I don't think he's talented enough to break the Steelers two deep at either safety spot. If he's being drafted with the idea of him being just a special teams player, well maybe that's OK. But I really doubt that he's going to come in and beat out either starter or either backup.

lamberts-lost-tooth
01-01-2008, 10:13 AM
Sorry, but I don't bookmark these sites and I'm not going to Google them.

Bottom line is that I think the kids plays on a second class team in a second class conference and I don't think he's talented enough to break the Steelers two deep at either safety spot. If he's being drafted with the idea of him being just a special teams player, well maybe that's OK. But I really doubt that he's going to come in and beat out either starter or either backup.

sooooo...no link.

Are you sure we are talking about the same person?

Thorpe award finalist...First Team All American....Bowl MVP....Gridiron Award winner.....First Team ACC squad...

I have him as a 7th round pick based on where he is placed right now on draft sites...but I will make a bet with you this kid is gone by the 5th round and may go as soon as the 2nd.

Silva's stock is on the rise and will only emerge during the offseason when he tests at the NFL Scouting ...He will ultimately be a late third- round selection http://profootballexperts.scout.com/2/699262.html

Jeremy
01-01-2008, 01:38 PM
sooooo...no link.

Are you sure we are talking about the same person?

Thorpe award finalist...First Team All American....Bowl MVP....Gridiron Award winner.....First Team ACC squad...

I have him as a 7th round pick based on where he is placed right now on draft sites...but I will make a bet with you this kid is gone by the 5th round and may go as soon as the 2nd.

Yes...Jaime Silva safety for Boston College. Long shaggy hair...the last kid to get a schollie in his class. Same guy.

He's a tweener. Bob Sanders has shown little guys can play in defensive backfield in the NFL and do it well, but Silva is no Bob Sanders and we don't have a need for another safety. What we need is for the safties we have to play well.

lamberts-lost-tooth
01-01-2008, 02:16 PM
Yes...Jaime Silva safety for Boston College. Long shaggy hair...the last kid to get a schollie in his class. Same guy.

He's a tweener. Bob Sanders has shown little guys can play in defensive backfield in the NFL and do it well, but Silva is no Bob Sanders and we don't have a need for another safety. What we need is for the safties we have to play well.

1) I'm still confused ...are you thinking that we can find a 7th round pick to START on our team?

2) Still not clear on why you think he doesnt have much talent...I havnt seen to many untalented all-americans who were finalists for the Thorpe award?

3) Since he is a Tweener..I'm taking it that you mean between a LB and a safety....so why the Bob Sanders comparison? Silva isnt a Sanders type player...He is 5-11 and 208 lbs

4) If our safeties are not playing well...why do we not have a need for a talented backup safety?

Jeremy
01-01-2008, 02:19 PM
1) I'm still confused ...are you thinking that we can find a 7th round pick to START on our team?

2) Still not clear on why you think he doesnt have much talent...I havnt seen to many untalented all-americans who were finalists for the Thorpe award?

3) If he is a Tweener..I'm taking iot that you mean between a LB and a safety....so why the Bob Sanders comparison? Silva isnt a Sanders type player...He is 5-11 and 208 lbs

4) If our safeties are not playing well...why do we not have a need for a talented backup safety?

1. He might start for the special teams....maybe.

2. I've seen Heisman Trophy winners go undrafted.

3. Tweener meaning between making it in the NFL and not making it in the NFL.

4. Because he's not talented.

lamberts-lost-tooth
01-01-2008, 02:28 PM
1. He might start for the special teams....maybe.

Which was my original statement

2. I've seen Heisman Trophy winners go undrafted.

You do realize there is a difference bertween a Heisman winner and an All-American...right?

3. Tweener meaning between making it in the NFL and not making it in the NFL.

Thats not the definition of tweener....and that doesnt answer the Bob Sanders comparison

4. Because he's not talented.

Without links...I will have to suppose that your argument is based purely on your personal opinion?

Jeremy
01-01-2008, 02:39 PM
Which was my original statement

So on that, we agree.

You do realize there is a difference bertween a Heisman winner and an All-American...right?

Yes, but All American doesn't mean you can play in the NFL. Ryan Leaf was an All American. Kurt Warner was stocking shelves and played in the AFL.

Thats not the definition of tweener....and that doesnt answer the Bob Sanders comparison

It's my definition of tweener. Silva doesnt have a prayer of playing linebacker in the NFL.

Without links...I will have to suppose that your argument is based purely on your personal opinion?

Yup. I almost never say a player is overrated. I'll say they might not be a good fit in Pittsburgh, but I usually leave the overrated/underrated stuff to the guys who get paid to make those decision. But this is one of those rare occasions where I will say that a player is overrated and I think he's overrated.

And there you have it. We'll have to agree to disagree.

Preacher
01-01-2008, 09:13 PM
OK. I admit. I first tweaked to Dansby.... GASP... because of Madden football :sofunny:

However, I would love to have him on this team. He has the speed that we need as Steeler LB's. Since he played well as a Inside LB, and had eight sacks from that position.

Imagine this lineup...

LOLB Woodley
LILB Dansby
RILB Timmons (moved from an outside spot. The kid can cover... and stuff the run.
LOLB Harrison

I would LOVE that lineup, and would be willing to endure a defensive let down next year in order for this lineup to solidify, though I don't think that would happen.

Back this lineup with a year older (and smarter) A. Smith and a healthy Troy... Ike coming back with a good year this year... a good battle between Gay and B-mac for the other side... if they can beat out Townsend. Yeah, I think that would be a GREAT set of backers.

Aussie_steeler
01-01-2008, 10:53 PM
Imagine this lineup...

LOLB Woodley
LILB Dansby
RILB Timmons (moved from an outside spot. The kid can cover... and stuff the run.
LOLB Harrison

I would LOVE that lineup, and would be willing to endure a defensive let down next year in order for this lineup to solidify, though I don't think that would happen.

Back this lineup with a year older (and smarter) A. Smith and a healthy Troy... Ike coming back with a good year this year... a good battle between Gay and B-mac for the other side... if they can beat out Townsend. Yeah, I think that would be a GREAT set of backers.

I dont think you would see a defensive letdown. Dont forget Farrior and Foote and you have six linebackers that provides an awesome rotation and experience for the young guys to continue to learn from.

I dont think we have enough scope in the draft with our picks to truly upgrade everywhere so the FO is going to have to find one or two mid range players to strengthen the squad.

An addition like Dansby would allow the draft to be used to upgrade the O line, D line and secondary positions in the first 3-4 positions.

The one or two Free agents that are bought in will be the ones who make a difference for the next season. Just see the Mahan addition to see the effect Free agency has on team chemistry

zoneblitz43
01-01-2008, 11:07 PM

FA pickups:
LB Carlos Dansby
OT Travelle Wharton
WR Justin Gage

Very good draft picks. If our draft day went like this, I wouldn't be disappointed at all, although I would like to see Antoine Cason as a Steeler.

Preacher
01-01-2008, 11:14 PM
I dont think you would see a defensive letdown. Dont forget Farrior and Foote and you have six linebackers that provides an awesome rotation and experience for the young guys to continue to learn from.

I dont think we have enough scope in the draft with our picks to truly upgrade everywhere so the FO is going to have to find one or two mid range players to strengthen the squad.

An addition like Dansby would allow the draft to be used to upgrade the O line, D line and secondary positions in the first 3-4 positions.

The one or two Free agents that are bought in will be the ones who make a difference for the next season. Just see the Mahan addition to see the effect Free agency has on team chemistry

I think Mahan could easily slide over. In doing so, he would be a good starter, and a great backup. If it works out, we have Mahan at LG, Starks (injured now, lower salary) at LT, We can get a solid center and someone to fight for positions at guard and tackle, either side... at least a first and third round pick plus a FA for all three.

With that Oline taken care of, and if we can pick up Dansby and give our young guys the chance to start... Can you think what we will be like? Heck, if there are still quality guys... I wouldn't mind taking a shot at a receiver in the second or third round (depending on what happens to the o line).

Rhee Rhee
01-02-2008, 12:24 AM

FA pickups:
LB Carlos Dansby
OT Travelle Wharton
WR Justin Gage

i love it.... now im makin my own... see what you guys think...

1) OT Michael Oher (Ole Miss)
2) FS/CB Jonathan Hefney (Tennesse) [could be a replacement if smith or clark gets injured or just doesn't perform... also could play corner... and would be a ST beast]
3) OG Shannon Tevaga (UCLA)
4) OT King Dunlap (Auburn)
5) DE/OLB Bruce Davis (UCLA)
6) WR DeCody Fagg (FSU)
7) RB/FB Jacob Hester (LSU)

FA are just dansby...

Aussie_steeler
01-02-2008, 01:10 AM
I think the OT's we grade for the first round will be gone by the time we pick. High Quality DE's (L. Jackson T. Jackson, C. Campbell) cornerbacks who can also return (Cason, Talib, McKelvin) or maybe even a superstar RB (Mendenhall, Stewart, Jones) will be around to take at the end of the first (not that we would take one). We will have to trade up to get one of the premier OT's (not likely with only six picks).

I am guessing an O line upgrade in the second just by the nature of what was on the board in the first. ( Cherilius, Richardson, Loadholt, WIlliams, McGlynn, Boone)

In the third a receiver like Hubbard, Burton, Nelson ( all over 6'1") would be ideal to add some height to the receiving corp. A centre like Justice or Pollack wouldnt surprise me though.

In my opinion dont see a great center for us in this years draft. Next years draft class looks loaded at centre with Mack, Luigs and Unger and where our future could lie. That means Simmons, Stapleton and draftee fighting for the starting spot. I can see a guard who can play centre (Felton - arkansas) or Tackle who can play guard ( Radovich) being taken in the 4th with maybe a true centre like Legursky (one for LLT), Velasco or Speiker being taken in the 7th.

I would like to see a strong RB like Ryan Torain, Jacob Hester or Cody Boyd being a possibility in the 5th.

Summary from my crystal ball I can see the picks going
Round 1 - DE or CB
Round 2 - OT
Round 3 - CB or DE or WR
Round 4 - OG/OC
Round 5 - RB
ROund 7 - OC

Just my opinions but I am keen to see how my views from down under are received.
Some guys I had my eyes on didnt inspire confidence in some of the bowl games I have seen this week. I am really keen to see how the guys I am watching work out now.

Galax Steeler
01-02-2008, 05:25 AM
OK. I admit. I first tweaked to Dansby.... GASP... because of Madden football :sofunny:

However, I would love to have him on this team. He has the speed that we need as Steeler LB's. Since he played well as a Inside LB, and had eight sacks from that position.

Imagine this lineup...

LOLB Woodley
LILB Dansby
LOLB Harrison

That looks good I would love to see that lineup.

Jeremy
01-02-2008, 09:00 AM
Please....no more DE/OLB combos!

MasterOfPuppets
01-02-2008, 05:30 PM

Imagine this lineup...

LOLB Woodley
LILB Dansby
LOLB Harrison

Karlos Dansby, UFA, Arizona Cardinals
Dansby may very well end up being the cream of the crop in terms of linebackers during the next free agency period. He has excellent size and is coming into his own as a top level defensive player. He?s only 26 years old and has three consecutive seasons of 80 or more tackles, including this season in which he has totaled 95 tackles. He collected three interceptions in ?05, has collected three more this season, and had an impressive eight sacks in ?06. He has four forced fumbles and 3.5 sacks this season. Being young, strong, and talented should land him a large contract, and the Cardinals could be the team locking him up very soon.
:dollar::dollar::deal::dollar::dollar::nono:

Aussie_steeler
01-02-2008, 05:38 PM
Please....no more DE/OLB combos!

The DE's I have eluded to are straight DE's to play in the 3-4 system, very tall large body DE's who will provide depth behind Aaron Smith and an upgrade over Eason and others. I dont see any of them playing OLB in our system

I agree that we dont need anymore DE/OLB combo's such as Woodley. We need a pure DE. I think our late season run has gone to the sidelines along with Aaron Smith.

MasterOfPuppets
01-02-2008, 05:54 PM
The DE's I have eluded to are straight DE's to play in the 3-4 system, very tall large body DE's who will provide depth behind Aaron Smith and an upgrade over Eason and others. I dont see any of them playing OLB in our system

I agree that we dont need anymore DE/OLB combo's such as Woodley. We need a pure DE. I think our late season run has gone to the sidelines along with Aaron Smith.campbell...yes.....tyson jackson... yes....265lb lawrence jackson...NO

Aussie_steeler
01-02-2008, 06:12 PM
I dont want to see us go DE in the first, the O line does need attention. I just think other teams above us will take the guys we have flagged at OT. The only options I see are to take best value available or trade down to stock up on picks.

Agreed L.Jackson is too small to be a pure DE in the 3-4

Jeremy
01-02-2008, 10:21 PM

I agree that we dont need anymore DE/OLB combo's such as Woodley. We need a pure DE. I think our late season run has gone to the sidelines along with Aaron Smith.

Davis seems to be a better fit for the 4-3.

lamberts-lost-tooth
01-03-2008, 05:16 AM
I think the OT's we grade for the first round will be gone by the time we pick. High Quality DE's (L. Jackson T. Jackson, C. Campbell) cornerbacks who can also return (Cason, Talib, McKelvin) or maybe even a superstar RB (Mendenhall, Stewart, Jones) will be around to take at the end of the first (not that we would take one). We will have to trade up to get one of the premier OT's (not likely with only six picks).

I am guessing an O line upgrade in the second just by the nature of what was on the board in the first. ( Cherilius, Richardson, Loadholt, WIlliams, McGlynn, Boone)

In the third a receiver like Hubbard, Burton, Nelson ( all over 6'1") would be ideal to add some height to the receiving corp. A centre like Justice or Pollack wouldnt surprise me though.

In my opinion dont see a great center for us in this years draft. Next years draft class looks loaded at centre with Mack, Luigs and Unger and where our future could lie. That means Simmons, Stapleton and draftee fighting for the starting spot. I can see a guard who can play centre (Felton - arkansas) or Tackle who can play guard ( Radovich) being taken in the 4th with maybe a true centre like Legursky (one for LLT), Velasco or Speiker being taken in the 7th.

I would like to see a strong RB like Ryan Torain, Jacob Hester or Cody Boyd being a possibility in the 5th.

Summary from my crystal ball I can see the picks going
Round 1 - DE or CB
Round 2 - OT
Round 3 - CB or DE or WR
Round 4 - OG/OC
Round 5 - RB
ROund 7 - OC

Just my opinions but I am keen to see how my views from down under are received.
Some guys I had my eyes on didnt inspire confidence in some of the bowl games I have seen this week. I am really keen to see how the guys I am watching work out now.

Very impressed with your research my friend!!!

This class is DEEP with OT's
Here is a list of OT's that may go in the first 2 rounds:

Jake Long, Michigan
Ryan Clady, Boise State
Sam Baker, USC
Jeff Otah, Pittsburgh (12/1)
Gosder Cherilus, Boston College
Michael Oher*, Ole Miss
Phil Loadholt*, Oklahoma
Barry Richardson, Clemson
Chris Williams, Vanderbilt
Alex Boone*, Ohio State
Tony Hills, Texas
Heath Benedict, Newberry
Mike McGlynn, Pittsburgh
John Greco, Toledo
Eric VandenHeuvel*, Wisconsin

Jeremy
01-03-2008, 08:54 AM
Very impressed with your research my friend!!!

This class is DEEP with OT's
Here is a list of OT's that may go in the first 2 rounds:

Jake Long, Michigan
Ryan Clady, Boise State
Sam Baker, USC
Jeff Otah, Pittsburgh (12/1)
Gosder Cherilus, Boston College
Michael Oher*, Ole Miss
Phil Loadholt*, Oklahoma
Barry Richardson, Clemson
Chris Williams, Vanderbilt
Alex Boone*, Ohio State
Tony Hills, Texas
Heath Benedict, Newberry
Mike McGlynn, Pittsburgh
John Greco, Toledo
Eric VandenHeuvel*, Wisconsin

Loadholt looked flat out terrible last night against WVU's front 6.

steelersfanman92
01-03-2008, 11:34 AM
I saw Jeff Otah play, and he looks like a good player that could be a possible 2nd day gem, and a pick that we could really use

MasterOfPuppets
01-04-2008, 12:58 AM
I saw Jeff Otah play, and he looks like a good player that could be a possible 2nd day gem, and a pick that we could really useno way in hell does otah last till 2nd day....more than likely he'll go in the 1st rd.

MasterOfPuppets
01-04-2008, 01:58 AM
Jake Long, Michigan ..............................left tackle.....no chance of getting
ryan clady, boise......................................left tackle.....no chance
sam baker ...............................................lef t tackle.....slim to no chance
jeff otah, Pittsburgh (12/1) ....................left tackle......good chance
Gosder Cherilus, Boston College .......right tackle...will be there
Michael Oher*, Ole Miss ........................left T / G........fair chance
Phil Loadholt*, Oklahoma .....................left tackle......will be there
Barry Richardson, Clemson .................left tackle......will be there
Chris Williams, Vanderbilt ....................left T / G.........good chance
Alex Boone*, Ohio State .........................left tackle......will be there
Tony Hills, Texas ....................................left tackle......
.Heath Benedict, Newberry ....................right tackle....
Mike McGlynn, Pittsburgh ......................right T / G.......
John Greco, Toledo ................................left tackle........
Eric VandenHeuvel*, Wisconsin...........right tackle......

Rhee Rhee
01-04-2008, 03:41 AM
I saw Jeff Otah play, and he looks like a good player that could be a possible 2nd day gem, and a pick that we could really use

this guys a top 20 pick in most peoples eyes.. but hey who could argue if someone completely forgets about him and lasts till the second day :banana:

lamberts-lost-tooth
01-04-2008, 05:57 AM
Jake Long, Michigan ..............................left tackle.....no chance of getting
ryan clady, boise......................................left tackle.....no chance
sam baker ...............................................lef t tackle.....slim to no chance
jeff otah, Pittsburgh (12/1) ....................left tackle......good chance
Gosder Cherilus, Boston College .......right tackle...will be there
Michael Oher*, Ole Miss ........................left T / G........fair chance
Phil Loadholt*, Oklahoma .....................left tackle......will be there
Barry Richardson, Clemson .................left tackle......will be there
Chris Williams, Vanderbilt ....................left T / G.........good chance
Alex Boone*, Ohio State .........................left tackle......will be there
Tony Hills, Texas ....................................left tackle......
.Heath Benedict, Newberry ....................right tackle....
Mike McGlynn, Pittsburgh ......................right T / G.......
John Greco, Toledo ................................left tackle........
Eric VandenHeuvel*, Wisconsin...........right tackle......

I really do like Oher, and hope he is there at our pick....and wouldnt mind seeing us get Benedict either.

xXTheSteelKingsXx
01-04-2008, 07:21 AM
If Boone decides to come out, will he still be around for our round 2 pick?

Jeremy
01-04-2008, 09:37 AM
I wonder what it would take to get Big Jake Long......

lilyoder6
01-04-2008, 11:13 AM
either having the #1 or #2 draft pick...

MasterOfPuppets
01-04-2008, 12:43 PM
I really do like Oher, and hope he is there at our pick....and wouldnt mind seeing us get Benedict either.same here, but i won't be disappointed if we have to settle for otah,or williams. i'm not so sure about bendict. he's a man amongst boys in div II . ,but there's a big difference between div II DT's ,and NFL DT's.i think i'd feel better if they took mcglynn. i like the option's he offers, like oher.

lamberts-lost-tooth
01-04-2008, 01:15 PM
same here, but i won't be disappointed if we have to settle for otah,or williams. i'm not so sure about bendict. he's a man amongst boys in div II . ,but there's a big difference between div II DT's ,and NFL DT's.i think i'd feel better if they took mcglynn. i like the option's he offers, like oher.

Benedict originally signed to play college ball at Tennessee but after three position moves in his first year he transferred to Newberry College because he had family ties there and because he didnt want to miss any time playing.

Offensive Tackle
6' 5" 333 lbs.
Speed: 4.92
Newberry College (Division II)
Senior

The Jacksonville Jaguars actually gave him an "unofficial" workout after the 2006 season, thinking he was going to enter the 2007 NFL Draft. He weighed in at 6' 5.5" 332 pounds and ran a 4.92 forty yard dash. His arms were measured at 34" and he scored a 31 on the Wonderlic test. He also benched 225 pounds 28 times. Benedict also has a 435 pound bench, 625 pound squat, and power clean of 330 pounds. The workout will did effect his eligibility as no money or favors were discussed or given, and he has never negotiated with an agent.

He is "officially" listed as running a 4.92 but Newberry co-offensive coordinator Joe Blackwell states “He can run the 40 in 4.67, and is good enough and fast enough to lay both sides of the ball.” Rivals.com had his speed listed as 4.82 seconds, which is still fast for a 6’ 6” 300 pounder. Benedict is very athletic and multi-talented; he was also a star pitcher, with a fastball clocked at 94 mph. He led his team to a state baseball title and 21-2 record as a junior. He has tremendous upside because he never really focused on football until college, his primary sport in high school was baseball.

MasterOfPuppets
01-04-2008, 01:59 PM
Benedict originally signed to play college ball at Tennessee but after three position moves in his first year he transferred to Newberry College because he had family ties there and because he didnt want to miss any time playing.i know that he chose to play div II, and his workout numbers are impressive, but that doesn't change the fact that there's no game film of him against a top notch , NFL calibre defensive player. so that means he's a much bigger gamble than a guy like mcglynn.

lamberts-lost-tooth
01-04-2008, 02:05 PM
i know that he chose to play div II, and his workout numbers are impressive, but that doesn't change the fact that there's no game film of him against a top notch , NFL calibre defensive player. so that means he's a much bigger gamble than a guy like mcglynn.

Agreed...In my mock draft I have us taking two OL in the first three rounds... But with our track record in the 4-7 rounds...I wouldnt be upset if the Steelers took a chance on Benedict in the latter rounds.

lilyoder6
01-04-2008, 02:14 PM
i think pitt should look at Owen from WVU.. he's a big boy and with kreider being almost done we will need a replacement...

MasterOfPuppets
01-04-2008, 02:19 PM
Agreed...In my mock draft I have us taking two OL in the first three rounds... But with our track record in the 4-7 rounds...I wouldnt be upset if the Steelers took a chance on Benedict in the latter rounds.
ohhhhh, i thought you were pimpin him in the 3rd......i'd take a chance on him in the fourth. :thumbsup:....i'd even go 3rd if our NEEDS, and the importance of making these picks count weren't so great.

lamberts-lost-tooth
01-04-2008, 02:35 PM
ohhhhh, i thought you were pimpin him in the 3rd......i'd take a chance on him in the fourth. :thumbsup:....i'd even go 3rd if our NEEDS, and the importance of making these picks count weren't so great.

Oh no...I'm a firm believer in not touching the "boom or bust" players in the first three rounds!!!! Gambling is for the later rounds. I think the Steelers problems have stemmed from grabbing "big college productive players" in those rounds who dont have NFL tangibles....instead of taking a chance with small college players with NFL tangibles..or big college players who might not have the production but definetely have NFL tangibles. We have done well with doing this with UDFA (ie FWP)..but not so well in rounds 4-7

zoneblitz43
01-05-2008, 01:38 AM
The more I read this, the more I think LLT should be making the Steelers draft picks. Out of all the mock drafts I have seen, many done by "experts", this one makes the most sense. Seriously, the guys who run the Steelers should print this and tape it to their fridge.
:tt02:

Not a flashy pick, but Oher is a great player who fills a serious need. Can possibly play RT if Starks continues to prove he can play the LT position. I don't think Colon has a future on this team as a starter. Is Oher entering this year's draft? I hear he may not enter until 2009.

I have been high on Antoine Cason since his phenomenal performance against Oregon, but Lowery is known as an interception machine. We need a guy that can make these pass-happy offenses pay. Ike is a good tackler and plays well against the run, but drops too many picks. Townsend is a good player but is on the wrong side of 30. McFadden is a solid player who will continue to improve. The Steelers need 4 corners who can play. Lowery would provide just that. As long as a corner is drafted in the first 2 rounds I will be happy.

I liked his performance against Illinois. I think he would be a good replacement for Faneca.

Never heard of this guy. I'd take Legursky in round 4 instead and pick up Langford in round 5, and that's the only thing I would change about this draft. Round 4 sounds like a reach to me.

The Steelers badly need a new center. Mahan has been awful at this position, he allows way to many sacks. Legursky has started every game of his collegiate career. I think he would be a great round 4 pick. Bowling Green's Kory Lichtensteiger is also an option. Either one would give us a home grown talent to develop into the quality center the Steelers are known for.

Round 6) (I believe this is the pick we gave up for Rossum)

I've seen Silva play and been impressed. Would be a great value at round 7.

lamberts-lost-tooth
01-05-2008, 07:08 AM
Not to say we shouldn't take him, but Oher has an interesting background. I wonder if his inteligence has improved while in college.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michael_Oher

His past is strangely comparable to Casey Hamptons.

MasterOfPuppets
01-05-2008, 11:08 AM
He repeated both first grade and second grade,
he may not be the sharpest knife in the drawer....but i bet he can color and fingerpaint like its nobodys business !!!......:thumbsup:

lamberts-lost-tooth
01-05-2008, 11:12 AM
he may not be the sharpest knife in the drawer....but i bet he can color and fingerpaint like its nobodys business !!!......:thumbsup:

LOL....the bad news is that after 3 quarters...its "nap time".

MasterOfPuppets
01-05-2008, 12:08 PM
LOL....the bad news is that after 3 quarters...its "nap time".
well i guess thats better than colons nap time in the 1st quarter.....:wink02:

lamberts-lost-tooth
01-05-2008, 12:12 PM
well i guess thats better than colons nap time in the 1st quarter.....:wink02:

makes colons hair messy...I think Imus got fired for talking about it.

steelers2685
01-05-2008, 02:02 PM
Any predictions on where Thomas from Mich. St. or Hardy from Wisconsin, both receivers, will end up? Sure would be great if Steelers could somehow snatch Hardy up. I watched him play a number of games and wow, big receiver with EXCELLENT hands!

MasterOfPuppets
01-05-2008, 02:29 PM
Any predictions on where Thomas from Mich. St. or Hardy from Wisconsin, both receivers, will end up? Sure would be great if Steelers could somehow snatch Hardy up. I watched him play a number of games and wow, big receiver with EXCELLENT hands!i'd say hardy nailed down a 1st rd pick,he's the biggest red zone threat in the class.,tampa,dallas,tenn, or jax, would be my guess. thomas was a no show in the bowl game against BC, he may go in the mid to late 2nd, maybe N.O, , buffalo,or minn....IMO

lamberts-lost-tooth
01-05-2008, 03:02 PM
i'd say hardy nailed down a 1st rd pick,he's the biggest red zone threat in the class.,tampa,dallas,tenn, or jax, would be my guess. thomas was a no show in the bowl game against BC, he may go in the mid to late 2nd, maybe N.O, , buffalo,or minn....IMO

I would agree with that ...the Vikings, Titans and the Cowboys would be my early favorites to land the two of them.

MasterOfPuppets
01-05-2008, 03:19 PM
I would agree with that ...the Vikings, Titans and the Cowboys would be my early favorites to land the two of them.you think the vikings are happy with tavaris ? i just read where losman wants out of buffalo.......
http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/7638184
you think they could make a play for him?

lamberts-lost-tooth
01-05-2008, 03:33 PM
you think the vikings are happy with tavaris ? i just read where losman wants out of buffalo.......
http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/7638184
you think they could make a play for him?

I have read where two different people in the Vikings organization have given opposite opinions about looking at QB's in the next draft....

Being this close to Chicago and watching the Bears make some very questionable moves...I would not be surprised to see them go after Losman even if McNabb is available.

MasterOfPuppets
01-05-2008, 03:46 PM
I have read where two different people in the Vikings organization have given opposite opinions about looking at QB's in the next draft....

Being this close to Chicago and watching the Bears make some very questionable moves...I would not be surprised to see them go after Losman even if McNabb is available.i'm thinkin 1 of those 2 ,will take andre woodson. i myself don't like woodson , and would hold off till the 3rd, and snag whoever is available between henne,booty or ainge.

Rhee Rhee
01-06-2008, 04:17 AM
i'm thinkin 1 of those 2 ,will take andre woodson. i myself don't like woodson , and would hold off till the 3rd, and snag whoever is available between henne,booty or ainge.

when&where do u think colt brennan will get drafted? im guessing as high as third and as late as 5... thats just my thoughts... teams will kind of shy away from him for his lack of speed and acceleration, size and arm strength past 30 yards...

MasterOfPuppets
01-06-2008, 01:25 PM
when&where do u think colt brennan will get drafted? im guessing as high as third and as late as 5... thats just my thoughts... teams will kind of shy away from him for his lack of speed and acceleration, size and arm strength past 30 yards... i think the bowl game did serious damage to brennans draft stock. of course hawaii as a team, was severly out gunned, but brennan himself,by not making any kind of plays, proved his critics right. before the bowl game i'd have guessed 3-4, but after that poor showing,i believe any one who may have been interested, probably lost alot of it. i'm thinking maybe 5th, but probably 6th. who may be interested in brennan is a tough call, but i think with his lack of arm strength,he needs to be in a west coast offensive system....so maybe the eagles,bucs,broncos,packers,vikings,seahawks,or texans.

Rhee Rhee
01-07-2008, 03:22 PM
i think the bowl game did serious damage to brennans draft stock. of course hawaii as a team, was severly out gunned, but brennan himself,by not making any kind of plays, proved his critics right. before the bowl game i'd have guessed 3-4, but after that poor showing,i believe any one who may have been interested, probably lost alot of it. i'm thinking maybe 5th, but probably 6th. who may be interested in brennan is a tough call, but i think with his lack of arm strength,he needs to be in a west coast offensive system....so maybe the eagles,bucs,broncos,packers,vikings,seahawks,or texans.

5th and 6th thats what i've been thinking as well... i do hope we willbe ableto pick up that guy from hampton... i think its kendall langford.. he seems like a true 3-4 DE but yet might be able to play DT in a 4-3... i also like this kid from virginia...Branden Albert... big guard at 6'7" 310...

ShutDown24
01-07-2008, 08:28 PM
How do you say Bailey doesn't get many INTs? In th eyears since Hall has been in the league he had 2, 6, 4, 5 while Bailey had 3, 8, 10, 3. I don't see the arguement. Ike is a good corner but will not be great till he brings in a few more INTs. INTs are game changing plays. I give IKE credit for being much better at run support than the others.

You completely missed the point....................... :jawdrop:

Let's do this again, shall we...

I see you decided to choose the last four years... Assuming you don't watch film (Not many fans do) those stats are deceptive. The point is, Hall goes out of his way to try and get picks, while corners like Champ, Namdi and Ike more often than not let the mistake come to them. Bailey's amount of interceptions are just a complement to what his real value is. No shit interceptions are game changing plays... So are missed interceptions, big plays for the other team. Interception artists are the trough from which fans (Morons) drink... Shut down corners on the other hand are what teams really value. Want me to show you some proof of that? Namdi Asomugha is a free agent this off-season, so is DeAngelo Hall. We will revisit this argument when they both get signed... Money talks. And keep in mind Asomugha has about a year and a half less playing experience than Hall too. I’ll find the numbers when it goes down and post them.

BTW: Who the hell does Ike stop the run better than? Troy? Ryan Clark? The only reason Deshea won a tight battle over BMac this year in camp was because he is a better tackler sooooo? Ike is a good tackler, but anyone who thinks his strength is stopping the run must be drunk.

i think the bowl game did serious damage to brennans draft stock. of course hawaii as a team, was severly out gunned, but brennan himself,by not making any kind of plays, proved his critics right. before the bowl game i'd have guessed 3-4, but after that poor showing,i believe any one who may have been interested, probably lost alot of it. i'm thinking maybe 5th, but probably 6th. who may be interested in brennan is a tough call, but i think with his lack of arm strength,he needs to be in a west coast offensive system....so maybe the eagles,bucs,broncos,packers,vikings,seahawks,or texans.

Wow, you must have been broadcast a different Sugar Bowl than the rest of the nation... What television provider do you have?

The fact is, Dan Marino with his quick release couldn't have done anything the way Hawaii's line played. To think the bowl game would drop Brennan's stock any farther than a few picks is bad observation. Trust me, scouts take into consideration the protection issues QB's have to deal with... At the absolute very most this could drop his status a round. Since he was projected to be a value in the second round before the bowl... I wouldn't be all that concerned if I was Colt Brennan right now.

MasterOfPuppets
01-07-2008, 09:59 PM
Wow, you must have been broadcast a different Sugar Bowl than the rest of the nation... What television provider do you have?
the game that was on my tv,showed brennan throw 3 picks and 0 td's.....what happend on your tv???

The fact is, Dan Marino with his quick release couldn't have done anything the way Hawaii's line played.
i guess there should be an asterick next to ben's 24 picks.....since pressure is now an excuse for throwing them...

To think the bowl game would drop Brennan's stock any farther than a few picks is bad observation. t
At the absolute very most this could drop his status a round.
flip flop....flip flop....

Since he was projected to be a value in the second round before the bowl... I wouldn't be all that concerned if I was Colt Brennan right now.who said he was a "value" in the 2nd ??? draft dog??? i've heard the term " system QB" more often than not from the talking heads...( i.e. kiper)

Rhee Rhee
01-08-2008, 02:38 AM
i remember couple of years ago people were projecting us to take nick mangold from ohio state... if only he was available in the second... our o-line issues would be a little less magnified with the center position being covered for at least 6+ years..

lamberts-lost-tooth
01-08-2008, 06:51 AM
Right or wrong... the consensus on Colt Brennan ...as of now...is that he is a 4-5 round pick...with concerns about being a system QB.

Crushzilla
01-08-2008, 06:58 AM
Right or wrong... the consensus on Colt Brennan ...as of now...is that he is a 4-5 round pick...with concerns about being a system QB.

And how could it not be.

The bottom line is that Colt Brennan's credibility goes as far as Hawaii's, which was the story of the year in the WAC.

Colt played in a system that was pass happy and certainly fit his style, against opponents who were less than NFL Caliber.

I'm not entirely sure what the argument can be. That he played alright against some legitimate college programs? He also choked against Georgia.

The truth is, the STANDOUT, first round caliber quarterbacks are the ones that carve up those teams every week in college. Even THEY have a hard time making the transition to the speed of the NFL. What chance does Brennan have?

Sorry, Hawaii fans. Brennan was great for you, but he's not going to be the savior of ANY NFL team.

lamberts-lost-tooth
01-08-2008, 07:10 AM
And how could it not be.

The bottom line is that Colt Brennan's credibility goes as far as Hawaii's, which was the story of the year in the WAC.

Colt played in a system that was pass happy and certainly fit his style, against opponents who were less than NFL Caliber.

I'm not entirely sure what the argument can be. That he played alright against some legitimate college programs? He also choked against Georgia.

The truth is, the STANDOUT, first round caliber quarterbacks are the ones that carve up those teams every week in college. Even THEY have a hard time making the transition to the speed of the NFL. What chance does Brennan have?

Sorry, Hawaii fans. Brennan was great for you, but he's not going to be the savior of ANY NFL team.

Great points...and we havn't even mentioned that fact that he isgoing to be 25 years old as a rookie. Thats Roethlisbergers age. So a team is losing 2-3 years of potential NFL productivity.

MasterOfPuppets
01-08-2008, 08:12 PM
so what do you guys think is on the scouts minds right now??
A..... he throws 60 times a game for 450 yds and 4 tds against the weakest D;s in the ncaa
OR
B.....we finally seen him against a legit ncaa D, and he threw 42 times for 160 yds and 3 picks with 0 tds.

lamberts-lost-tooth
01-09-2008, 04:05 AM
so what do you guys think is on the scouts minds right now??
A..... he throws 60 times a game for 450 yds and 4 tds against the weakest D;s in the ncaa
OR
B.....we finally seen him against a legit ncaa D, and he threw 42 times for 160 yds and 3 picks with 0 tds.

I think the scouts have been waiting to make a decision on him......and their decision will be that he is not a first day pick. Thats not to say that he cant be a very good NFL QB...but its like you and I have talked about, boom or bust projects are best taken on day two.

MasterOfPuppets
01-09-2008, 07:23 PM
I think the scouts have been waiting to make a decision on him......and their decision will be that he is not a first day pick. Thats not to say that he cant be a very good NFL QB...but its like you and I have talked about, boom or bust projects are best taken on day two.brennan is a poor mans version of Ty Detmer. remember him ? the guy who Won the heisman in 1990,the guy who set 59 NCAA records. the guy who was drafted in the 9th round because scouts thought he was to small for the NFL .....

Rhee Rhee
01-10-2008, 01:47 AM
if any team would give him just a decent O-line... and a half decent QB coach... he could have sucess as a backup QB... i remember big ben came to hawaii one year and he himself aired it out about 50times... (colt was not at hawaii yet) roethlsiberger was in a predominent shotgun kind of offense... no complaints about him...

Aussie_steeler
01-10-2008, 04:29 AM
Can anybody give me some names of possible mid to late round picks at running back that might fill the hole at short yardage power running back?

With the number of quality junior RB's declaring there could be some value in the mid to late rounds to fill this role. This type of player is really hard for me to evaluate as stats are not very meaningful, you have to see them in action to know.

MasterOfPuppets
01-10-2008, 12:37 PM
Can anybody give me some names of possible mid to late round picks at running back that might fill the hole at short yardage power running back?

With the number of quality junior RB's declaring there could be some value in the mid to late rounds to fill this role. This type of player is really hard for me to evaluate as stats are not very meaningful, you have to see them in action to know.i know of 2 who i wouldn't mind seeing in camp....maryland terps,lance ball and keon lattimore (ray the murderer lewis's half brother) they're not huge backs,both around 225lbs, but both are between the tackle runners.....here's some reading material on them....
http://www.examiner.com/a-1124902~Lattimore__Ball_ready_for_a_storm.html

MasterOfPuppets
01-10-2008, 01:05 PM
if any team would give him just a decent O-line... and a half decent QB coach... he could have sucess as a backup QB... i remember big ben came to hawaii one year and he himself aired it out about 50times... (colt was not at hawaii yet) roethlsiberger was in a predominent shotgun kind of offense... no complaints about him... ben had the size and arm strengh THAT SCOUTS LOOK FOR.....brennans 190 lbs and his, pennington noodle arm , just isn't that appealing to nfl teams. i'm sure someone will take a chance on him, just like the did ty detmer ( 9 rd pick),and danny wuerffle (4th rd pick), both won the heisman, and both put up huge stats and were great college qbs. neither one of them, came close to being the player they were in college.you can't coach size and arm strength.

Jeremy
01-10-2008, 06:44 PM

With the number of quality junior RB's declaring there could be some value in the mid to late rounds to fill this role. This type of player is really hard for me to evaluate as stats are not very meaningful, you have to see them in action to know.

Jalen Parmele

Rhee Rhee
01-11-2008, 02:34 AM

if only PJ hill from wisconsin was a senior.. he's incredible and i am very very high on him..

Aussie_steeler
01-11-2008, 07:34 AM
Thanks for the feedback MOP, Jeremy and Rhee Rhee.:cheers:

After doing some reading it sounds like there could be some more quality for the steelers to find amongst the undrafted free agents much like FWP and Russell. This years RB class looks to be fairly deep so with some good management a tough between the tackles runner might be unearthed.

Rhee Rhee
01-11-2008, 04:46 PM

hey aussie... u could also look at a guy from a small school named xavier omon... big runner at 220 and a tough runner. maybe a 4th rounder or so...

lamberts-lost-tooth
01-14-2008, 07:47 AM

Jerome Felton, Furman...6'0, 247lbs ,4.62 40

....predicted to go in the 5th round.
Should be a legit short yardage back in the nfl...67 TDS in college as a fullback.

Rhee Rhee
01-15-2008, 02:44 AM
wow what a 40 time for his size...

Dylan
01-15-2008, 05:49 PM
Does anybody have any information on Dwight Lowery. Whats so good about him. Is he fast, tall. If we get him i hope he doesn't turn out to be another Coclough

lamberts-lost-tooth
01-16-2008, 02:11 PM
Does anybody have any information on Dwight Lowery. Whats so good about him. Is he fast, tall. If we get him i hope he doesn't turn out to be another Coclough

Projected Round: 2-3.

An interception machine, Dwight Lowery led the nation with nine picks in 2006 after registering 13 in 15 games at a Junior College.

One of the better cover corners in the nation
An absolute ball hawk. Can track the ball and come out of nowhere to make the interception. Has the ability to mirror a WR. Can take the best receiver and close him down. Decent speed and good quickness. Good sized corner.

Needs to work on his backpedal. Gets in press coverage at times and commits early which will leave him susceptible to skilled WRs moves. Doesn't stay straight in his backpedal and can lose a step in transition. Peeks in the backfield at times.

Could project to a Cover 2 corner if he doesn't run well at the combine. If he runs well, could be first round material. At this time it's likely he's: 2nd Round.

I THINK that I read he is returning for his senior season.

Rhee Rhee
01-16-2008, 02:35 PM

An interception machine, Dwight Lowery led the nation with nine picks in 2006 after registering 13 in 15 games at a Junior College.

An absolute ball hawk. Can track the ball and come out of nowhere to make the interception. Has the ability to mirror a WR. Can take the best receiver and close him down. Decent speed and good quickness. Good sized corner.

Needs to work on his backpedal. Gets in press coverage at times and commits early which will leave him susceptible to skilled WRs moves. Doesn't stay straight in his backpedal and can lose a step in transition. Peeks in the backfield at times.

Could project to a Cover 2 corner if he doesn't run well at the combine. If he runs well, could be first round material. At this time it's likely he's: 2nd Round.

I THINK that I read he is returning for his senior season.

thats great that he's such a ballhawk but when he played hawaii more often than not he couldn't wrap up and make the tackle...

MasterOfPuppets
01-16-2008, 02:44 PM

I THINK that I read he is returning for his senior season. i believe he was a senior....

Rhee Rhee
01-19-2008, 02:28 AM
1. Jeff Otah Pittsburgh OT
2. Shawn Crable Michigan OLB
3. Charles Godfrey Iowa CB
4. Kendall Langford Hampton DE
5. Fernando Velasco Georgia C
7. Marcus Monk Arkansas WR (im thinkin he'll fall but if he doesnt...) OR Edward Williams Lane WR

lilyoder6
01-19-2008, 10:56 AM
i lik that draft of urs... i thinkin if we good a compesation pick.. we could get a rb...

Dynasty
01-19-2008, 08:23 PM
Well, any chance we may have had of getting either Mike Oher or Jeff Otah is probably shot now. Oher returned for his senior year at Ole Miss. That means whoever would have taken him will probably get Otah.. Bad news for the Steelers.

Rhee Rhee
01-20-2008, 04:37 AM
Well, any chance we may have had of getting either Mike Oher or Jeff Otah is probably shot now. Oher returned for his senior year at Ole Miss. That means whoever would have taken him will probably get Otah.. Bad news for the Steelers.

ik i have noo idea what the steelers are gonna do this year... especially with colbert throwing all these smoke screens everywhere...

Rhee Rhee
01-20-2008, 04:38 AM
i lik that draft of urs... i thinkin if we good a compesation pick.. we could get a rb...

im also hopin we get a RB (a grinder preferably)... brandon mcanderson, owen schmidt, peyton hills, matt forte, xavier omon ring bells...

DACEB
01-21-2008, 10:53 AM
ik i have noo idea what the steelers are gonna do this year... especially with colbert throwing all these smoke screens everywhere...

I hope we don't pick two OT in the first three rounds, unless we trade down and get an extra pick.

I would personally like to see;
DE 1st round
DB 2nd round
OT 3rd round

lamberts-lost-tooth
01-21-2008, 11:04 AM
I hope we don't pick two OT in the first three rounds, unless we trade down and get an extra pick.

DE 1st round
DB 2nd round
OT 3rd round

I posted something similar to what you are saying in another thread:

I am becoming more and more inclined to think that we have to upgrade the line in the first three picks...but not at the expense of passing on a blue chip prospect in the first found to "reach" for a player that will be on the board later. I would much rather see us trade down and pick up and extra pick.

For instance...if I see no Tackles in this draft that warrant a first round consideration at #23... we have two options if we truly want the "best" Tackle remaining in this draft and it looks like he is an early second round prospect...
1) Trade to the bottom of the 1st or out of the first all together, picking up the Tackle at the new slot while picking up a couple of picks.
2) Pick up the best player at #23 (given our needs at all positions) and then trade up in the second to pick up the Tackle we want while giving up some late picks (which we seem to waste anyway)

I personally would not be hurt by scenerio #2.... if we can get a DE or CB stud in the first..and still address the line in the next two rounds I would be happy

I DO think we may have to address OG and OT in the first 3 or 4 rounds...but it lookds like you and I are in agreement about not reaching for a player in the 1st...but at least consider trading down for more picks

Rhee Rhee
01-21-2008, 02:28 PM

DE 1st round
DB 2nd round
OT 3rd round

just a question your drafting a DE/DT tweener who can play in a 4-3 and a 3-4 right?

or strictly a 4-3 DE?

lilyoder6
01-21-2008, 10:09 PM
that could determine on who we do draft for d-line.. if tomlin is going to keep the 3-4 after dick leaves or not...

DACEB
01-22-2008, 07:21 AM
just a question your drafting a DE/DT tweener who can play in a 4-3 and a 3-4 right?

or strictly a 4-3 DE?

Yes, DE/DT. We need someone to come in and spell our 1st team guys. Hopefully someone that can play at or close to the same level of Keisel, with the potential to grow.

I would like to see Balmer in the 1st and Langford in the 4th.

DACEB
01-22-2008, 09:46 AM
I DO think we may have to address OG and OT in the first 3 or 4 rounds...but it lookds like you and I are in agreement about not reaching for a player in the 1st...but at least consider trading down for more picks

This could be a good year to trade down, but it won't happen. Looking back to last year, we could have an extra pick in this years first round if we had traded our spot to Clev. last year.

We now know that they are looking to move Timmons inside. We could have traded our 1st round pick last year for Clev.'s 1st this year and Clev.'s 2nd last year (Dallas made the move). We could have easily taken the Jets 2nd round pick (Harris ILB) and still picked up Woodley.

Colbert has not shown he is savvy enough to make deals on draft day. We could be sitting pretty right now.

lilyoder6
01-22-2008, 09:52 AM
i just can't wait util the combine comes, and get to see the players work out... then we can look at some players that might fall late or not even be drafted,,,

Rhee Rhee
01-23-2008, 03:21 AM
This could be a good year to trade down, but it won't happen. Looking back to last year, we could have an extra pick in this years first round if we had traded our spot to Clev. last year.

We now know that they are looking to move Timmons inside. We could have traded our 1st round pick last year for Clev.'s 1st this year and Clev.'s 2nd last year (Dallas made the move). We could have easily taken the Jets 2nd round pick (Harris ILB) and still picked up Woodley.

Colbert has not shown he is savvy enough to make deals on draft day. We could be sitting pretty right now.

i was actually dying to trade down and let the browns take quinnn but then i realized that why in the hell would we trade with our divison rivals.... looking back on it quinn has done nothing and we coulda used an extra first this year...

Elvis
01-23-2008, 06:58 AM
My Dream List Looks Like This

1. OT ( Cherilus from Boston College )
2. OG ( Schuening from Oregon St. )
3. WR
4. DB or MLB
5. C
7. DE/DT
:coffee:

MDSteel15
01-23-2008, 12:06 PM

3. WR
4. DB or MLB
5. C
7. DE/DT

What's wrong with:
1 Cherilus or Williams
2 WR
3 DB
4 G
5 C
7 BPA.... DB/KR???

Rhee Rhee
01-24-2008, 03:57 AM

3. WR
4. DB or MLB
5. C
7. DE/DT

solid... i'd like to see a guard in the 3rd or fourth however and move the DB/WR to the second... thats just how i feel...

ps a guy that mel kiper is very high on, chilo rachal OG USC should be available in the 4th or 5th...

lamberts-lost-tooth
01-26-2008, 10:23 AM
Thanks to Aussie Steeler..it has been brought to my attention that I have my first official "fan".....check out the "draft" on...

http://www.prosportsdaily.com/forums/showthread.php?t=178148

and look at post #13...they have changed the OT pick from Oher to Gosder Cherilus (Oher decided to stay in school after I had placed him in my draft)

If imitation is the greatest form of flattery...I thank my new buddy for enjoying the picks so much as to not even change the wording!!!:thumbsup:

:sofunny::sofunny::sofunny:

MasterOfPuppets
01-26-2008, 08:11 PM
Thanks to Aussie Steeler..it has been brought to my attention that I have my first official "fan".....check out the "draft" on...

http://www.prosportsdaily.com/forums/showthread.php?t=178148

and look at post #13...they have changed the OT pick from Oher to Gosder Cherilus (Oher decided to stay in school after I had placed him in my draft)

If imitation is the greatest form of flattery...I thank my new buddy for enjoying the picks so much as to not even change the wording!!!:thumbsup:

:sofunny::sofunny::sofunny:what a freakin hack !!!! whats really odd is....his post count is almost the same as yours.....:his 4,482.....yours 4488.....but he's only a legend.....your a LIVING legend....could he be posting in a parallel universe ???:scratchchin:

lamberts-lost-tooth
02-02-2008, 05:55 AM
what a freakin hack !!!! whats really odd is....his post count is almost the same as yours.....:his 4,482.....yours 4488.....but he's only a legend.....your a LIVING legend....could he be posting in a parallel universe ???:scratchchin:

:jawdrop:.....so he may actually be my "Bizarro"??????

MasterOfPuppets
02-02-2008, 04:42 PM
:jawdrop:.....so he may actually be my "Bizarro"??????i have studied such anomalies in an astrophysics class....in my professional opinion....in all likelihood.....yes. :nerd:

lamberts-lost-tooth
02-05-2008, 12:30 PM
i have studied such anomalies in an astrophysics class....in my professional opinion....in all likelihood.....yes. :nerd:

hmmmmm...wouldnt that make him a Bengals fan?

lamberts-lost-tooth
02-05-2008, 12:54 PM

FA pickups:
LB Carlos Dansby
OT Travelle Wharton
WR Justin Gage

Other than dropping Oher since he is staying for his senior season..(place the best OT in that slot).....I still like this draft 6 weeks later.
We can also foget about Dansby as a FA pickup but I may be convinced that we could pick up a LB in Round 7...

lamberts-lost-tooth
02-05-2008, 03:12 PM
Great article on Center Legursky....This kid has thighs the size of tree trunks!!!....and should be able to hold his own against AFCN NT's!!!

http://www.herald-dispatch.com/sports/x880203743

article says second day pick...most sites I have seen show 4th-6th round

lamberts-lost-tooth
03-01-2008, 08:52 AM
[I]Round 1) OT Michael Oher-Ole Miss

Well...now that the combine is over....Its time to update my projection for the upcoming draft.
I know some of these are obvious...(Like Silva dropping after running a 4.85 40) and others are going to surprise you.

Round 1) RB Jonathan Stewart (235lbs, 4.44 40, 36.5 vertical & 28 reps of 225 lbs!!)
Round 2) OT Heath Benedict (Blew people away with 1.71 10 yard...can play OG/ORT immediatly)
Round 3) WR Jordy Nelson (6'3 and ran a 4.49 at combine..may slip into 2nd round)
Round 4) DE Kendall Langford (another sleeper that may go earlier)
Round 5) OC Doug Legursky (Nasty streak...strong...4 year starter)
Round 6) RS/CB Zack Bowman (6'0 197...4.38 40...will slide due to past knee injuries..think Antonio Cromartie and take a chance on him)

DACEB
03-01-2008, 09:15 AM
Round 1) RB Jonathan Stewart (235lbs, 4.44 40, 36.5 vertical & 28 reps of 225 lbs!!)

Both Stewart and Mendenhall have crazy KEIs or explosive quotients (bp+vj+bj). Both in the 70s! CRAZY!!

MasterOfPuppets
03-01-2008, 09:27 AM
Well...now that the draft is over....Its time to update my projection for the upcoming draft.
I know some of these are obvious...(Like Silva dropping after running a 4.85 40) and others are going to surprise you.

Round 2) OT Heath Benedict (Blew people away with 1.71 10 yard...can play OG/ORT immediatly)
Round 3) WR Jordy Nelson (6'3 and ran a 4.49 at combine..may slip into 2nd round)
Round 6) RS/CB Zack Bowman (6'0 197...4.38 40...will slide due to past knee injuries..think Antonio Cromartie and take a chance on him)i'd be freakin stoked if our draft went like this.....thats why it'll never happen.....:shake02:

lamberts-lost-tooth
03-01-2008, 09:33 AM
i'd be freakin stoked if our draft went like this.....thats why it'll never happen.....:shake02:

All those players are pretty near where they are predicted at ...as of now.

I look for Jordy and Langford to possibly rise...but as of now..they are pretty accurate.

Jeremy
03-01-2008, 09:41 AM
Round 5: John David Booty QB USC

Batch is about done and Zabransky is not the answer.

MasterOfPuppets
03-01-2008, 09:52 AM
All those players are pretty near where they are predicted at ...as of now.

I look for Jordy and Langford to possibly rise...but as of now..they are pretty accurate.
nelson would be a huge addition. he'd be the perfect replacement for ward as the possession guy.

lamberts-lost-tooth
03-01-2008, 10:00 AM
nelson would be a huge addition. he'd be the perfect replacement for ward as the possession guy.

Nice hands in the passing drills at the combine....If we wanted him bad enough we MIGHT be able to take him in the second round and pray that Benedict is still on the board in the third...(kind of doubt it though)

El-Gonzo Jackson
03-01-2008, 01:38 PM
Nice hands in the passing drills at the combine....If we wanted him bad enough we MIGHT be able to take him in the second round and pray that Benedict is still on the board in the third...(kind of doubt it though)

Yeah, Nelson looked good at the Sr. Bowl too. All they kept talking about was his 122 receptions and beating Aquib Talib in the Kansas game for a TD. I think he will be off the board in round 2.

lamberts-lost-tooth
03-01-2008, 02:03 PM
Yeah, Nelson looked good at the Sr. Bowl too. All they kept talking about was his 122 receptions and beating Aquib Talib in the Kansas game for a TD. I think he will be off the board in round 2.

Thats what MOP and I were talking about....we MAY be able to take him in round 2...and Benedict in round 3...
...unless you are talking about him going in the 1st round...which isnt going to happen at this point.
...All this is pending pro-day results of course.

El-Gonzo Jackson
03-01-2008, 02:37 PM
Thats what MOP and I were talking about....we MAY be able to take him in round 2...and Benedict in round 3...
...unless you are talking about him going in the 1st round...which isnt going to happen at this point.
...All this is pending pro-day results of course.

Yeah, hope he tanks his pro day and slips to the 3rd. 31" vert isnt great, but his long shuttle was decent at the combine. I think he may last to our pick in the 2nd, but I am more interested on taking O-line, D-line in the first 2 rounds.

BTW, I am warming up to your boy Heath Benedict. At least he was a highschool prospect that was highly touted. Not like the other small school converts we drafted (Jamain Stevens-wrestler and Mathias Nkwenti--converted DT) and busted.

lamberts-lost-tooth
03-01-2008, 02:43 PM
Yeah, hope he tanks his pro day and slips to the 3rd. 31" vert isnt great, but his long shuttle was decent at the combine. I think he may last to our pick in the 2nd, but I am more interested on taking O-line, D-line in the first 2 rounds.

BTW, I am warming up to your boy Heath Benedict. At least he was a highschool prospect that was highly touted. Not like the other small school converts we drafted (Jamain Stevens-wrestler and Mathias Nkwenti--converted DT) and busted.

His 1.71 10 yard time really raised some eyebrows...he was coming off the line faster than alot of TE's....I think alot of people thought he was just a bully who relied on strength alone...but he really showed some athleticism at the combine.
Legursky is starting to worry me a little... He may go earlier than I hoped. I see alot of boards that have him rising fast..and alot of blogs from other teams are starting to mention him.

Aussie_steeler
03-01-2008, 06:35 PM
Well...now that the combine is over....Its time to update my projection for the upcoming draft.

Round 6) RS/CB Zack Bowman (6'0 197...4.38 40...will slide due to past knee injuries..think Antonio Cromartie and take a chance on him)

Like it a lot LLT:thumbsup:

If Nelson is gone before our round 3 pick then I would slot Langford in there and possibly look at Adarius Bowman in the fourth. I know a lot of guys are against him but he could be a good one with the right people around him.

Stewart would be sensational. He looks like a beast.

I think we are a good chance of actually getting Legursky as a UDFA. He will only go higher if they are looking at using him as a guard. Teams will go Velasco before Legursky. He still is around the 7th to 10th Center on most boards. In a poor center class I dont see that many being drafted.
That being said the way are late picks turn out we might as well take a shot at him to wrap him up.

lamberts-lost-tooth
03-02-2008, 02:02 PM
Like it a lot LLT:thumbsup:

If Nelson is gone before our round 3 pick then I would slot Langford in there and possibly look at Adarius Bowman in the fourth. I know a lot of guys are against him but he could be a good one with the right people around him.

Stewart would be sensational. He looks like a beast.

I think we are a good chance of actually getting Legursky as a UDFA. He will only go higher if they are looking at using him as a guard. Teams will go Velasco before Legursky. He still is around the 7th to 10th Center on most boards. In a poor center class I dont see that many being drafted.
That being said the way are late picks turn out we might as well take a shot at him to wrap him up.

I do Like Bowman as a 4th...I personally wouldnt take a reciever after round 3 ...but if a talent like Bowman slides because of his 40 time..I would grab him....also may take a gamble on Paul Hubbard out of Wisconsin on the second day (6'2. and ran a 4.47 40.)

I would love to pick up Legursky as a UDFA...but have seen his name alot lately...but HEY... take him out of my draft and plug in ILB J. Lehman!!!! I would be happy to add depth to our LB corp and still get a Bull at center after the draft!!!

Aussie_steeler
03-07-2008, 06:01 AM
Found this article on your man Legursky.

It is a very interesting read.

http://nfldraftscouting.com/2008/03/04/fellow-nfl-draft-prospects-impressed-by-herds-legursky/

Ask a pair of National Football League Draft prospects about Doug Legursky and they respond with laughter.During separate interviews, Keilen Dykes and Harry Douglas raved concerning their workout teammate. Legursky, Marshall University?s former center, is training for the April 26-27 draft with former West Virginia defensive lineman Dykes and Douglas, a highly-regarded wide receiver from Louisville.

Dykes and Douglas simply chuckled at the mention of Legursky, whose athleticism betrays his stout, 6-foot-3, 300-pound plus frame.

?Doug is a freak in the weight room,? said Dykes a fellow 300-pounder who works out with Legursky at Huntington?s High Intensity Training Center under local agent Dave Rich. ?He puts up big numbers. He?s a big power guy.?

Legursky established numerous weight room records during his four-year Thundering Herd career. The Beckley native was a starting player as a true freshman and is working toward delivering a similar immediate impression with NFL scouts and coaches.

Marshall?s Pro Day on March 21 offers Legursky?s best opportunity to elevate his draft status. Douglas said the four-year starter is well-prepped for the extensive tryout, which includes a 40-yard dash, shuttle runs, bench press drills and interviews, along with actual football-specific workouts.

?I?ve been really impressed with Doug,? Douglas said. ?To be so big, he?s in and out of cuts like a receiver.

?Scouts want you to keep your pad levels low and Doug does that very well. I?ve been very impressed with Doug; and he?s strong.?

Dykes literally has been more hands-on with Legursky?s training. They work with/against each other in lineman drills, and like Douglas, Dykes simply chuckles at Legursky?s blend of power and mobility.

?Doug is running times faster than (defensive ends) did at the (NFL) Combine,? Dykes said. ?It?s been crazy. I see what he?s running, like a 4.77, and I?m like ?wow.?

?He?s athletic and if you want to see someone who?s good on their feet, Doug is that guy. He?s putting up shuttle times that are crazy for a big guy like that.?

Legursky and quarterback Bernard Morris are Marshall?s top prospects for the NFL Draft. Fourteen Thundering Herd players have been selected since the 1998 Draft, including Ahmad Bradshaw, who earned a Super Bowl ring with the New York Giants as a rookie last season.

Legursky is a wild card entering the draft. He wasn?t invited to the NFL Combine, but his test numbers, including 36 bench presses at 225 pounds, measure favorably with his peers. He can play center and guard and is working with all-time Marshall great Mike Bartrum on long-snapping.

?He?s got great movement,? Dykes said. ?At the center spot they want to see you get to that level and pick off linebackers and Doug can do that.

?At his Pro Day he?s going to shine.?

lamberts-lost-tooth
03-09-2008, 06:14 AM
Update #3...

With the pickup of Moore, my last draft changes dramatically....with some idea as to which direction the Steelers seem to be going....here is my latest picks.

1) OT Jeff Otah ....6'6 332...slow times at the combine reported to be the result of an ankle sprain
2) CB Tracy Porter...5'11 190...ran a 4.37...6 interceptions as a senior...also a return specialist
3) DE Kendall Langford...6'4 287...No longer a sleeper, looked good at Senior Bowl ..can play DT also.
4) OG/OT Jeremy Zuttah...6-3 303....35 reps on benchpress..4.99 40..LG prospect for the Steelers
5) OC Doug Legursky...6'3 311...36 reps on benchpress...Plays with mean streak...Will impress at pro day.
6) FS Bobby Williams...6'0 212....Best safety in IAA...Hard hitter...can play ST's (return man)

UDFA:
RB/FB Jerome Fulton Furman...6'0 247...scored 67 times in college...short yardage machine...has agility to take corner but would rather cover the ball and run you over
ILB/OLB Marcus Richardson 6'1 235... played for small Troy State 4.5 40...could provide depth at LB and play special teams.
DT Keith Shologan Central Florida, 6'2 296 started 33 games over the last 3 years....a little youth to back up Hampton
DE Marcus Dixon, Hampton 6'4 292....Another DE from Hampton???...not as productive as Langford but has the size/strength to take a chance on.
OG Robert Gustavis, Arizona State 6'3 303 Good work ethic...blue collar worker...warrants a look

Aussie_steeler
03-09-2008, 07:19 AM
Quality draft LLT.:thumbsup: I like all the picks on merit of team needs and quality of players.

ALthough I think Stewart would be a good pick up I think this draft (update 3) is stronger for the team than having Stewart, Benedict and Nelson in your last draft. ( update 2)

I think Zuttah is a good pick, just dont know if he will be there in the 4th. If we want Langford is has to be in the third. I think he is attracting a lot of attention now.

I cant split Porter or Godfrey in the second at the moment but I would love to see either as the second round pick.

Felton and Dixon would be two quality pickups as UDFA's.
Would love to find a SS in the UDFA crop this year. Any possibilities???

lamberts-lost-tooth
03-09-2008, 07:42 AM
Quality draft LLT.:thumbsup: I like all the picks on merit of team needs and quality of players.

ALthough I think Stewart would be a good pick up I think this draft (update 3) is stronger for the team than having Stewart, Benedict and Nelson in your last draft. ( update 2)

I think Zuttah is a good pick, just dont know if he will be there in the 4th. If we want Langford is has to be in the third. I think he is attracting a lot of attention now.

I cant split Porter or Godfrey in the second at the moment but I would love to see either as the second round pick.

Felton and Dixon would be two quality pickups as UDFA's.
Would love to find a SS in the UDFA crop this year. Any possibilities???

Marcus Watts SS from Kansas State is a possibility...will drop due to injury..but was productive in limited play

lamberts-lost-tooth
03-09-2008, 09:32 AM
Update #3...

With the pickup of Moore, my last draft changes dramatically....with some idea as to which direction the Steelers seem to be going....here is my latest picks.

1) OT Jeff Otah ....6'6 332...slow times at the combine reported to be the result of an ankle sprain
2) CB Tracy Porter...5'11 190...ran a 4.37...6 interceptions as a senior...also a return specialist
3) DE Kendall Langford...6'4 287...No longer a sleeper, looked good at Senior Bowl ..can play DT also.
4) OG/OT Jeremy Zuttah...6-3 303....35 reps on benchpress..4.99 40..LG prospect for the Steelers
5) OC Doug Legursky...6'3 311...36 reps on benchpress...Plays with mean streak...Will impress at pro day.
6) FS Bobby Williams...6'0 212....Best safety in IAA...Hard hitter...can play ST's (return man)

UDFA:
RB/FB Jerome Fulton Furman...6'0 247...scored 67 times in college...short yardage machine...has agility to take corner but would rather cover the ball and run you over
ILB/OLB Marcus Richardson 6'1 235... played for small Troy State 4.5 40...could provide depth at LB and play special teams.
DT Keith Shologan Central Florida, 6'2 296 started 33 games over the last 3 years....a little youth to back up Hampton
DE Marcus Dixon, Hampton 6'4 292....Another DE from Hampton???...not as productive as Langford but has the size/strength to take a chance on.
OG Robert Gustavis, Arizona State 6'3 303 Good work ethic...blue collar worker...warrants a look

*Just a little disclaimer.....I have cross-referenced the picks on this update with several sites and magazines to best place each player in the round that they should be drafted. Some of them will, no doubt ,have Pro-days that may move their projected draft round.

In the UDFA I was leaning towards three goals:
1) filling in depth at positions not addressed in the 7 round draft
2) finding players that not only would provide depth but were versatile enough to help on our under-achieving ST's...and
3) Find players with work ethic

I am especially high on UDFA Jerome Fulton...and if he is available I would grab him as an immediate upgrade at FB..and I think that he will surprise everyone and fill the role of short yardage back. (Steelers are his favorite team also)

Marcus Richardson like most UDFA players on my list (other than Felton) would be a wave player at his primary position but a possible special teams demon.

Keith Shologan is way under the radar this year...but has experience and could be a legit backup at NT.

If any one has any questions about these players ....or any others that you think may be a potential Steeler...please let me know. I truly enjoy the research and get excited about this time of year. As those who have got to know me over the last couple years on the board know....I have hosted internet mock drafts in the past and "generally" do pretty well....(though I have been known to fall i love with certain DE/OLB hybrids..who never panned out)...But I would be happy to check and let anyone know what rounds players are predicted to go in...strengths/weaknesses...and whatever I can find.

MasterOfPuppets
03-09-2008, 02:02 PM
how is mr moses ??? :sofunny:

lilyoder6
03-09-2008, 02:06 PM
on fri miuke mayock has the cheifs drafting otah with the #5 pick... i hope he does saty until our pick.. i like the pick up of jerome fulton as a udfa.. he could be a nice pickup 4 the future..

lamberts-lost-tooth
03-09-2008, 02:42 PM
how is mr moses ??? :sofunny:

LOL...you my friend have a good memory....HEY!!! He still might pan out!!!:couch:

lamberts-lost-tooth
03-09-2008, 03:01 PM
on fri miuke mayock has the cheifs drafting otah with the #5 pick... i hope he does saty until our pick.. i like the pick up of jerome fulton as a udfa.. he could be a nice pickup 4 the future..

By the time Pro-day workouts are complete....Otah,Williams, & Cherilus are all players that may be considered good picks at #23....If not, We could easliy grab a quality OT in the second....This is THE premier position for depth this year.

Felton is predicted to not be drafted on most boards due to his natural FB position....but I wouldnt be bothered at all to see him picked up with a 5th/6th pick

Black@Gold Forever32
03-09-2008, 03:17 PM
I'm big on Legursky also....He is really the only center I want in this draft.....I always enjoy LLTs mocks and draft input....You do a very good job in your research.....

What I like about Legursky....He is strong like bull and has the size/stones to handle NTs....Unlike Mahan.....I don't even want to take the chance that he could go undrafted....If he is there in the 4th to 6th rounds....Why not take him? Unless the Steelers brass does have that much faith in Stapleton......All I know Mahan better not start at center next year or I'm going to flip out big time.....

MasterOfPuppets
03-09-2008, 03:27 PM
By the time Pro-day workouts are complete....Otah,Williams, & Cherilus are all players that may be considered good picks at #23....If not, We could easliy grab a quality OT in the second....This is THE premier position for depth this year.

Felton is predicted to not be drafted on most boards due to his natural FB position....but I wouldnt be bothered at all to see him picked up with a 5th/6th picki'm not sold on the "depth" at tackle in this class. if you eliminate the players tagged to fit "zone blocking " schemes, it thins the herd considerably. then factor in all the teams at the top half of the order who need line help, but went D , with thier first pick , i see the pickins bein pretty damn slim by the 53 rd pick. i doubt there's more than 8 to 10 who will grade out to be 1st or second round value.i bet the 4 or so descent quality guys are picked in the 1st 10 spots of the second rd. if we don't get our guy in the 1st, i think they'll wait till the 3rd for someone like benedict ,rachel, schuening,or mcglenn.

lamberts-lost-tooth
03-09-2008, 03:47 PM
i'm not sold on the "depth" at tackle in this class. if you eliminate the players tagged to fit "zone blocking " schemes, it thins the herd considerably. then factor in all the teams at the top half of the order who need line help, but went D , with thier first pick , i see the pickins bein pretty damn slim by the 45 th pick. i doubt there's more than 8 to 10 who will grade out to be 1st or second round value.

Thats some serious depth!!!...I like Duane Brown,Barry Richardson and Geoff Schwartz in the 4-5....Breno Giacomini and Chad Rinehart in the 5th-6th... and I would take a flyer on Will Robinson as an UDFA.

Steel Buckeye
03-09-2008, 03:49 PM

I only like the Jonathan Stewart pick if Otah, Cherilus, Albert, and Clady are all off the board. Here is what my ideal draft would look like. There may be a chance of trading down and still getting some of these picks.

Round 1-OG Branden Albert. With a replacement for Faneca, the Steelers can move Kendall Simmons to C, Kemo can play RG, and a RT can be drafted in a later round.

Round 2-WR Jordy Nelson. Ben wants a tall receiver. Ben gets a tall receiver. The Steelers need one anyway.

Round 3-DE Kendall Langford. We all saw what happened when Aaron Smith got injured. Would be a capable backup and future starter.

Round 4-RT Kirk Barton. Played well for Ohio State, and put up an impressive 34 reps on the bench press.

Round 5-CB Dwight Lowery. He really disappointed at the combine, but he is the interception machine the Steelers need.

Round 6-C Fernando Velasco. Would be a good backup to whoever will start at center in 2008. Velasco also played guard.

MasterOfPuppets
03-09-2008, 04:06 PM
Thats some serious depth!!!...I like Duane Brown,Barry Richardson and Geoff Schwartz in the 4-5....Breno Giacomini and Chad Rinehart in the 5th-6th... and I would take a flyer on Will Robinson as an UDFA.it may be for kickers...lol....but when you look at the number of teams who need line help, its just a drop in the bucket.

Aussie_steeler
03-10-2008, 05:18 AM
I am especially high on UDFA Jerome Fulton...and if he is available I would grab him as an immediate upgrade at FB..and I think that he will surprise everyone and fill the role of short yardage back. (Steelers are his favorite team also).

Found a great link for you LLT on Felton

http://sea.scout.com/2/735765.html?refid=400&CMP=OTC-K9B140813162&ATT=5

I also found this URL that provides upto date reports on proday workouts. Even gives you links to some hidden material.
http://www.draftdaddy.com/blog/nfldraft.cfm

Have fun reading. Dont make yourself sick.

lamberts-lost-tooth
03-10-2008, 05:48 AM
I only like the Jonathan Stewart pick if Otah, Cherilus, Albert, and Clady are all off the board. Here is what my ideal draft would look like. There may be a chance of trading down and still getting some of these picks.

Round 1-OG Branden Albert. With a replacement for Faneca, the Steelers can move Kendall Simmons to C, Kemo can play RG, and a RT can be drafted in a later round.

Round 2-WR Jordy Nelson. Ben wants a tall receiver. Ben gets a tall receiver. The Steelers need one anyway.

Round 3-DE Kendall Langford. We all saw what happened when Aaron Smith got injured. Would be a capable backup and future starter.

Round 4-RT Kirk Barton. Played well for Ohio State, and put up an impressive 34 reps on the bench press.

Round 5-CB Dwight Lowery. He really disappointed at the combine, but he is the interception machine the Steelers need.

Round 6-C Fernando Velasco. Would be a good backup to whoever will start at center in 2008. Velasco also played guard.

I like where your going in your draft...however, the draft of mine that you were looking at was version #1...here is the update.

UDFA:

GBMelBlount
03-11-2008, 09:26 AM
I like where your going in your draft...however, the draft of mine that you were looking at was version #1...here is the update.

UDFA:
OG Robert Gustavis, Arizona State 6'3 303 Good work ethic...blue collar worker...warrants a lookm

Tracy Porter sounds very interesting at #2. He has shutdown speed plus could be great on special teams. The downside is that he tends to give receivers big cushions and has some technique issues. However, being that he is relatively inexperienced, perhaps these are things that can be worked on.

As far as Legurski, (trust me I know my football!) if he's half as good as his grandfather "Bronco" was, he'll do fantastic! :wink02:

lamberts-lost-tooth
03-12-2008, 05:24 AM
m

Tracy Porter sounds very interesting at #2. He has shutdown speed plus could be great on special teams. The downside is that he tends to give receivers big cushions and has some technique issues. However, being that he is relatively inexperienced, perhaps these are things that can be worked on.

I was torn between Porter and Charles Godfrey from Iowa...I am intrigued by Godfrey not only because of his effectiveness at CB over the last two years, but also because he played his first two years of college ball at safety.
Porter on the other hand is versatile enough to return punts and kickoffs..which gave him the edge in my opinion.

I would be interested in Guards Mike McGlynn out of Pittsburgh and John Grecco from Toledo also, if either of them are there in the 4th round. Both played OT in college but translate better as Guards in the NFL....Grecco seems like a beast, very strong and is described as "cerebral" by most scouts. The possiblity of him at guard and Legursky at Center makes me think of the old blue collar lines of the 1970's.

I am beginning to think that Brandon Albert is more and more a possibilty in the 1st round...the only hang up I have is that I believe we would have to grab a tackle in the 2nd or 3rd round if we go Guard in the first. which changes the whole makeup of the draft and makes it harder to to fill needs.

Would it be? ...

1) OG Brandon Albert
2) CB Tracy Porter
3) OT Heath Benedict
4) DE Jason Jones
5) OC Doug Legursky
6) FS Bobby Williams

I dont know if this draft is stronger than the draft with OT in the first round.

El-Gonzo Jackson
03-12-2008, 05:40 PM

UDFA:

I like this version. You address OT, DE, CB in the first 3 rounds and get some solid players in the later rounds. Hopefully Langford could contribute and get some time in the rotation at DE.

I like Porter. Think he fits in as a nickel corner and makes sense as Townsend has maybe a season or 2 left at the most.

You also got a solid OG prospect in Zutah in round 4 as young depth and a bug FB/short yardage runner in Fulton...but I think somebody takes a chance on him before he goes to UFA.

Would be a great draft.....always nice to dream :cheers:

BettisFan
03-12-2008, 05:43 PM
I like this version. You address OT, DE, CB in the first 3 rounds and get some solid players in the later rounds. Hopefully Langford could contribute and get some time in the rotation at DE.

I like Porter. Think he fits in as a nickel corner and makes sense as Townsend has maybe a season or 2 left at the most.

You also got a solid OG prospect in Zutah in round 4 as young depth and a bug FB/short yardage runner in Fulton...but I think somebody takes a chance on him before he goes to UFA.

Would be a great draft.....always nice to dream :cheers:

I really like Otah but with him having slow times as you said and the injury, how will he recover and is he injury prone? Mabey we should get another OT thats more for sure.

lamberts-lost-tooth
03-14-2008, 05:56 AM
I really like Otah but with him having slow times as you said and the injury, how will he recover and is he injury prone? Mabey we should get another OT thats more for sure.

If the Front office is turned off by Otah for whatever reason...we could very easily grab OG Brandon Albert in the1st and OT Kirk Barton in the 4th.

*NOTE*
Barton measured in at 6'5 311 at his pro day...ran a 4.95...and had 34 reps on the bench. Ther was some concern about his knee but now that he has shown he is healthy...he will be back on draft boards.

El-Gonzo Jackson
03-14-2008, 10:56 AM
Again, when I start worrying about an OT's time in the 40 yard dash is the time I start scrutinizing how many times a QB can bench press 225 lbs.

Quickness and agility is more important than long speed.......unless you need an OT that can chase down a defender after in INT.

I think we can find a serviceable if not great OT in the first 2 rounds.

BettisFan
03-14-2008, 11:39 AM
If the Front office is turned off by Otah for whatever reason...we could very easily grab OG Brandon Albert in the1st and OT Kirk Barton in the 4th.

*NOTE*
Barton measured in at 6'5 311 at his pro day...ran a 4.95...and had 34 reps on the bench. Ther was some concern about his knee but now that he has shown he is healthy...he will be back on draft boards.

Thats disapointing, i really thought he could fit well here

lamberts-lost-tooth
03-15-2008, 05:47 AM
Again, when I start worrying about an OT's time in the 40 yard dash is the time I start scrutinizing how many times a QB can bench press 225 lbs.

Quickness and agility is more important than long speed.......unless you need an OT that can chase down a defender after in INT.

I think we can find a serviceable if not great OT in the first 2 rounds.

I dont think it was just the 40...he was described as soft and slow all around...but again...Word is that he was participating with an ankle sprain. I am more and more beginning to think that Otah may be gone by our pick anyway...and with the new word on McFadden..I think CB may be a definite possibility in the 2nd round.

Galax Steeler
03-15-2008, 07:35 AM
I dont think it was just the 40...he was described as soft and slow all around...but again...Word is that he was participating with an ankle sprain. I am more and more beginning to think that Otah may be gone by our pick anyway...and with the new word on McFadden..I think CB may be a definite possibility in the 2nd round.

I agree with mcffadens contract coming up if he is wanting the money I think he is then it is time to draft a corner in the first.

lamberts-lost-tooth
03-15-2008, 07:46 AM
I agree with mcffadens contract coming up if he is wanting the money I think he is then it is time to draft a corner in the first.

I think Porter or Godfrey in the second are very good values....but I wouldnt be surprised to see us go CB in the first.

GBMelBlount
03-15-2008, 09:06 AM
I think Porter or Godfrey in the second are very good values....but I wouldnt be surprised to see us go CB in the first.

I have seen porter and godfrey graded 3rd round and later on some boards. Granted 4.3 speed makes them interesting for special teams. What I'd like to know is why Flowers stock has dropped so much on some boards at CB. I recently saw someone on nfl network projecting him mid first round but now he is not even rated a top 15 CB by some.

lamberts-lost-tooth
03-15-2008, 10:17 AM
I have seen porter and godfrey graded 3rd round and later on some boards. Granted 4.3 speed makes them interesting for special teams. What I'd like to know is why Flowers stock has dropped so much on some boards at CB. I recently saw someone on nfl network projecting him mid first round but now he is not even rated a top 15 CB by some.

Bad showing at the combine...showed up shorter than expected at 5'9..and ran a 4.55 40...his vertical of 30 inches was also the second worst of the CB's

and Character issues:
http://www.techsideline.com/news_archive/showArticle-1389.php

GBMelBlount
03-15-2008, 11:00 AM
Bad showing at the combine...showed up shorter than expected at 5'9..and ran a 4.55 40...his vertical of 30 inches was also the second worst of the CB's

and Character issues:
http://www.techsideline.com/news_archive/showArticle-1389.php

But other than being short, slow, a bad jumper and having character issues, is there really much wrong with him? :wink02:

When they were showing tape on him, he looked amazing. I always think about Rices relatively pedstrian 40 time but when the ball was in the air.......he just plain got it done. I don't know the details on Flower's character issues but I am wondering if this is one of those guys who doesn't "spec" out as a prototypical player for his position but has those intangibles and just seems to always be in the right place at the right time. Perhaps he could be a later round consideration as well.

polamalu82
03-15-2008, 11:33 AM
But other than being short, slow, a bad jumper and having character issues, is there really much wrong with him? :wink02:

When they were showing tape on him, he looked amazing. I always think about Rices relatively pedstrian 40 time but when the ball was in the air.......he just plain got it done. I don't know the details on Flower's character issues but I am wondering if this is one of those guys who doesn't "spec" out as a prototypical player for his position but has those intangibles and just seems to always be in the right place at the right time. Perhaps he could be a later round consideration as well.

I heard he's got a foot fungus too. We don't need him infecting the rest of the team.:sofunny:

..Did Flowers have his pro day yet? If not when is it?

lamberts-lost-tooth
03-15-2008, 12:06 PM
I heard he's got a foot fungus too. We don't need him infecting the rest of the team.:sofunny:

..Did Flowers have his pro day yet? If not when is it?

March 20 and March 27th
http://www.sportznutz.com/nfl/draft/2008/pro_days.htm

polamalu82
03-15-2008, 12:33 PM
March 20 and March 27th
http://www.sportznutz.com/nfl/draft/2008/pro_days.htm

Thanks LLT.:thumbsup:

lamberts-lost-tooth
03-17-2008, 04:36 AM
Steelers | Langford to visit at end of March
Sat, 15 Mar 2008 13:00:40 -0700

J.J. Persavento, of Next Level Scouting, reports Hampton DL Kendall Langford is scheduled to visit with the Pittsburgh Steelers towards the end of March.

http://www.kffl.com/team/30/nfl

For those of us who have been pimping Langford for the last couple of months....seems like we may be justified in thinking he would look good in Black & Gold.

DACEB
03-17-2008, 06:49 AM
For those of us who have been pimping Langford for the last couple of months....seems like we may be justified in thinking he would look good in Black & Gold.

It's comforting to hear (at least for me) that we're not abandoning the 3-4. If anything hopefully we will enhance it. I think there is still a question going into this draft whether or not we're moving to the 4-3. Langford is a 3-4 DE, without a doubt.

El-Gonzo Jackson
03-17-2008, 11:26 AM

Sweeeeeet!!

El-Gonzo Jackson
03-17-2008, 11:32 AM

I agree that he looked soft. I saw the combine workouts and Otah is too massive to be considered chiseled. Casey Hampton is slow and soft too. Otah is not soft in his run or pass blocking....he is a dominating run blocker and has a good punch and long arms in the pass game.

The most distressing thing I saw from Otah at the combine was his inability to bend well at the knees and waist in the mirror drills. If you play too high in the NFL, pass rushers will get under you. Again, I think you are right that he will be gone anyways.

My best case scenario is if all the good OT's are gone in round 1, go with a DT, then look at one of the 2nd teir guys like Nicks or Benedict in the 2nd and a CB in the 3rd like Porter. (I'll cry if DeJuan Tribble ends up in B&G....he looks like a 7th round guy to me)

El-Gonzo Jackson
03-17-2008, 11:35 AM
[QUOTE=polamalu82;376752]I heard he's got a foot fungus too. We don't need him infecting the rest of the team.:sofunny:

QUOTE]

No Problem. I just saw on "Survivorman" if you put your foot over a smouldering termite nest from the Amazon, it cures foot fungus. That or Tinactin:smile:

lamberts-lost-tooth
03-18-2008, 05:14 AM
It's comforting to hear (at least for me) that we're not abandoning the 3-4. If anything hopefully we will enhance it. I think there is still a question going into this draft whether or not we're moving to the 4-3. Langford is a 3-4 DE, without a doubt.

Looks like we took a look at DT's Dre Moore and Keilen Dykes yesterday. As I said in another thread...this would at least appear to indicate we are looking at bolstering our D-line at the beginnning of the second day of the draft.

Moore is 6'4 307..and Dykes is 6'3 292..so even though both are lisrted as very strong DT's..they have the size to move to DE...

DACEB
03-18-2008, 08:50 AM
Here's a link for you LLT on Dykes.

http://msnsportsnet.com/profile.cfm?id=100587
Defensive lineman with tremendous instincts ... four-year starter who has blossomed with experience ... big-play performer who can dominate ... received the 2007 Iron Mountaineer Award as the top performer in the winter workout program ... NSCA Strength All-American

http://www.herald-dispatch.com/homepage/x1182666598
Since season's end, Dykes has added approximately 15 pounds to his 6-foot-4 frame. Now at 306 pounds, Dykes is set to prove his validity as an NFL defensive tackle.

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/spt/football/nfl/stories/022508dnspogosselin.3a0d323.html
Dykes was the captain of a West Virginia team that won 11 games and finished with a No. 6 ranking in 2007.
Dykes started 44 career games ? 28 at defensive tackle, 13 at nose tackle and three at defensive end. He anchored a Top 20 run defense in his final two seasons.

This guy would be a steal in the 4th, possibly later.

lamberts-lost-tooth
03-19-2008, 07:44 AM
***Newest Version of the LLT Draft***
The signing of Hartwig changes up the draft a little... Here is my latest draft based on recent signings and pro day performance.

2) CB/FS Charles Godfrey...5'11 207...Could be the most versatile Steeler DB since Carnell Lake..spent first two years of college at safety...heat-seeking, hard hitting, open field tackler who can play zone very well. 4.47 speed doesn't hurt.
4) OG/OT Jeremy Zuttah...6-3 303....35 reps on benchpress..4.99 40..LG prospect for the Steelers..some scouts say he should be tried at center due to athleticism.
5) FB/RB Jerome Felton... Height: 6'0 247...Smart and hard working ...scored 67 times as a short yardage specialist...read where someone counted 94 times in college that he couldnt be tackled with one man. (Steelers are his favorite team..so I give him extra points!!) ...has agility to take corner but would rather cover the ball and run you over.
6) FS Bobby Williams...6'0 212....Best safety in IAA...Hard hitter...can play ST's (return man gives him extra value)

UDFA:
Terrell Vinson, Purdue 5'9 183... 4.43 40...5 interceptions and his 40 will get him noticed

lamberts-lost-tooth
03-19-2008, 01:31 PM
The thing that is throwing me now.....is the value of players in each round...I want to think that we can get our future LT in later rounds...but if Otah is still on the board...I dont see Tomlin pasing on him. Otah is pretty close to a sure thing...I dont see that level of talent at LT in the later rounds.

tony hipchest
03-19-2008, 01:46 PM
The thing that is throwing me now.....is the value of players in each round...I want to think that we can get our future LT in later rounds...but if Otah is still on the board...I dont see Tomlin pasing on him. Otah is pretty close to a sure thing...I dont see that level of talent at LT in the later rounds.i was gonna ask you if you still really think he will last that long. every mock draft ive seen seems to have him climbing up the boards.

coming out of college, high 1st round tackles are some of the surest bets there are = very few busts. considering a 1st round tackle may be playing like a $9 mil/year player in his 3rd year suggests immense value. on the flipside, a safety would be little value (and help our future cap situation the least in the future) because even the best safety in the league maxes out at about $6 mil/year. a solid veteran starter like clark can be found at 2-3 mil/year = little value.

lamberts-lost-tooth
03-19-2008, 02:47 PM
i was gonna ask you if you still really think he will last that long. every mock draft ive seen seems to have him climbing up the boards.

coming out of college, high 1st round tackles are some of the surest bets there are = very few busts. considering a 1st round tackle may be playing like a $9 mil/year player in his 3rd year suggests immense value. on the flipside, a safety would be little value (and help our future cap situation the least in the future) because even the best safety in the league maxes out at about $6 mil/year. a solid veteran starter like clark can be found at 2-3 mil/year = little value.

Your right about safeties...and I am inclined to think that we will wait until at least the second to grab one....I think Godfrey could be golden in our backfield..and the more I see and hear of him..the more I like him.

Most people have us drafting Albert...If Otah is gone...I dont think we reach for a LT...I think there is a distinct possibility that we draft Albert....and go for a LT (Benedict if still available) and then a DE in the 4th...

if not...we grab Langford in the 3rd and Zuttah in the 4th.

Either way I think DB is taken in the second

tony hipchest
03-19-2008, 03:04 PM
Your right about safeties...and I am inclined to think that we will wait until at least the second to grab one....I think Godfrey could be golden in our backfield..and the more I see and hear of him..the more I like him.

Most people have us drafting Albert...If Otah is gone...I dont think we reach for a LT...I think there is a distinct possibility that we draft Albert....and go for a LT (Benedict if still available) and then a DE in the 4th...

Either way I think DB is taken in the secondbased on franchise tender amounts ( http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=09000d5d806a24a3&template=without-video&confirm=true ) CB's are now the most valuable players other than qb's. landing a good 1 in the second would be great value pick. even though im not ready to give up on what we have, preparing for the future (and saving $$$ in the future) is the sound, steelers way.

with our qb locked up we can save lots of cash down the road if we get a solid starter on the line and backfield for 2-5 years down the line.

BettisFan
03-19-2008, 03:16 PM
Wow i thought RB's would be 2nd most

steelymcmatt
03-19-2008, 08:32 PM

Either way I think DB is taken in the second

I heard an interview on sirius nfl network this afternoon w/ safety/cb from NC State Dejuan Morgan and I was very impressed. Anyone heard where this guy may go in the draft?

BettisFan
03-19-2008, 08:34 PM
I heard an interview on sirius nfl network this afternoon w/ safety/cb from NC State Dejuan Morgan and I was very impressed. Anyone heard where this guy may go in the draft?

43rd pick 2nd round to the panthers

steelymcmatt
03-20-2008, 09:06 AM
[QUOTE=BettisFan;378372]43rd pick 2nd round to the panthers[/QUOTE

Where are we picking in the 2nd?

lamberts-lost-tooth
03-21-2008, 06:21 AM
************UPDATED DRAFT 21 March 2008*************
WOW!!!...Wilson is gone!!!...With his underachieving performance finally removed from the equation...we will finally give Ben the Big WR that he asked for...so here we go again!!!!!!

1) WR Malcolm Kelly....6'4 224 Thigh injury kept him from participating in the combine..a knockout Pro-day may elevate him higher than #23...
2) DT/DE Dre Moore....6'4 305... 4.88 40..31 reps on benchpress...and 34 inch vertical....add that to his college production... could be a starter in a few years.
3) OT Heath Benedict.... 6'4 321...Benedict provides some youth, depth, and insurance against losing Smith next year
4) S Tyrell Johnson.... 5'11 207....sleeper pick...PFW rates him as second best safety this year...4 year starter...4.47 40...27 reps on the bench press...32 inch vertical..reliable tackler and very hardworking.
5) FB/RB Jerome Felton... Height: 6'0 247...Smart and hard working ...scored 67 times as a short yardage specialist...read where someone counted 94 times in college that he couldnt be tackled with one man....has agility to take corner but would rather cover the ball and run you over.
6) ILB Jeremy Leman..... 6'1 245 ...Excellent work ethic and incredible resume...in the last two years he has averaged 142 tackles and 15 tackles for loss per year...Will make the most of any opportunity the Steelers give him...Slow 40 speed will drop him in the draft....Would be a special teams animal from day one...the type of player that you cant help but cheer for.

UDFA:
C Doug Legursky.....6-3 311...insurance at our most questionable position
CB Terrell Vinson....5'9 183... 4.43 40...5 interceptions and his 40 will get him noticed
ILB/OLB Marcus Richardson ....6'1 235... played for small Troy State 4.5 40...could provide depth at LB and play special teams.
DT Keith Shologan ....6'2 296 started 33 games over the last 3 years....a little youth to back up Hampton
DE Marcus Dixon.... 6'4 292....The other DE from Hampton...not as productive as Langford but has the size/strength to take a chance on.
OG Robert Gustavis.... 6'3 303 Good work ethic...blue collar worker...warrants a look
S Jamie Silva 5'10 202....another player that would be a special teams demon....doesnt have the athleticism to start but would stick on a roster based on heart and work ethic.

DACEB
03-21-2008, 07:07 AM
WOW!!!...Wilson is gone!!!...With his underachieving performance finally removed from the equation...we will finally give Ben the Big WR that he asked for...so here we go again!!!!!!

1) WR Malcolm Kelly....6'4 224 Thigh injury kept him from participating in the combine..a knockout Pro-day may elevate him higher than #23...
2) DT/DE Dre Moore....6'4 305... 4.88 40..31 reps on benchpress...and 34 inch vertical....add that to his college production... could be a starter in a few years.
3) OT Heath Benedict.... 6'4 321...Benedict provides some youth, depth, and insurance against losing Smith next year
4) S Tyrell Johnson.... 5'11 207....sleeper pick...PFW rates him as second best safety this year...4 year starter...4.47 40...27 reps on the bench press...32 inch vertical..reliable tackler and very hardworking.
5) FB/RB Jerome Felton... Height: 6'0 247...Smart and hard working ...scored 67 times as a short yardage specialist...read where someone counted 94 times in college that he couldnt be tackled with one man....has agility to take corner but would rather cover the ball and run you over.
6) ILB Jeremy Leman..... 6'1 245 ...Excellent work ethic and incredible resume...in the last two years he has averaged 142 tackles and 15 tackles for loss per year...Will make the most of any opportunity the Steelers give him...Slow 40 speed will drop him in the draft....Would be a special teams animal from day one...the type of player that you cant help but cheer for.

UDFA:
CB Terrell Vinson....5'9 183... 4.43 40...5 interceptions and his 40 will get him noticed
ILB/OLB Marcus Richardson ....6'1 235... played for small Troy State 4.5 40...could provide depth at LB and play special teams.
DT Keith Shologan ....6'2 296 started 33 games over the last 3 years....a little youth to back up Hampton
DE Marcus Dixon.... 6'4 292....The other DE from Hampton...not as productive as Langford but has the size/strength to take a chance on.
OG Robert Gustavis.... 6'3 303 Good work ethic...blue collar worker...warrants a look
S Jamie Silva 5'10 202....another player that would be a special teams demon....doesnt have the athleticism to start but would stick on a roster based on heart and work ethic.

That would be an exceptional draft IMO.

I love the UDFAs alone!

lamberts-lost-tooth
03-22-2008, 04:55 AM
That would be an exceptional draft IMO.

I love the UDFAs alone!

Thanks...I had considered Tyvon Branch, the CB fron Conneticut, in the Round 4 slot. Some scouts are saying he will be moved to Free Safety....and since he can return kicks...he adds some versatility.

Benedict might climb some draft boards...so we might pull the trigger on him early ...taking him in the 2nd round....then the 3rd round pick may be Kendall Langford, the DE from Hampton.

DACEB
03-22-2008, 05:07 PM
Thanks...I had considered Tyvon Branch, the CB fron Conneticut, in the Round 4 slot. Some scouts are saying he will be moved to Free Safety....and since he can return kicks...he adds some versatility.

Benedict might climb some draft boards...so we might pull the trigger on him early ...taking him in the 2nd round....then the 3rd round pick may be Kendall Langford, the DE from Hampton.

It's funny you mention Branch, he's being talked about quite abit lately. I think he's projected higher than the 4th. I'd say he's an option for the 3rd at DB. I like what I've seen of him. There are a few guys that I know we've been looking at that have played both CB & S, I like that versatility. Reggie Smith, Morgan, DeCoud and Branch.

lamberts-lost-tooth
03-23-2008, 06:44 AM
It's funny you mention Branch, he's being talked about quite abit lately. I think he's projected higher than the 4th. I'd say he's an option for the 3rd at DB. I like what I've seen of him. There are a few guys that I know we've been looking at that have played both CB & S, I like that versatility. Reggie Smith, Morgan, DeCoud and Branch.

I have been torn with the top 4 slots...In a perfect world we could get
1) Sweed
2) Benedict
3) Langford
4) Godfrey (one of those CB/FS players that we both like)
5) Felton
6) Lehman

But Sweed will be gone, Langford will not last until the last part of #3 and Godfrey may not last until #4

My draft is more based on who I think will be available...and I tried to be specific, if a player will go at the beginning of a round I excluded him from being a possibility.

DACEB
03-23-2008, 03:46 PM
My draft is more based on who I think will be available...and I tried to be specific, if a player will go at the beginning of a round I excluded him from being a possibility.

Absolutely, and the team will have to pick that way (probably to many fans displeasure). The team may have to reach alittle on some picks, if it's someone they value, for the simple reason that player may be gone the next round. Unfortunately, with only 6 picks we don't have the ammunition to trade up in rounds.

Black@Gold Forever32
03-23-2008, 04:08 PM

UDFA:

Very nice work like always......I really enjoy reading the work you put in these mocks and your draft info period...I'm not totally against picking a WR in the first round and Kelly would be fine....Even though I personally like Sweed and Hardy more...

But I'm really hoping one of these three Chris Williams, Brandon Albert (with the intent at keeping him at OG) or Quentin Groves will be the pick....

I'm high on Chris Williams...I think he will a very solid NFL LT....I really like the idea of Albert replacing Faneca also...I just like the thought of teaming Groves with Woodley.....Those two would be great combo at OLB for the future...But I also believe you can never have enough weapons for your QB...So really in the first round the best player available should be the approach...

I really like the Moore pick but I really like Langford also...I wouldn't be against using a 2nd round pick on Langford....That is probably a reach but I don't think Langford would last until our pick in the 3rd round...

Tyrell Johnson sounds like a real interesting pick....His name doesn't ring a bell with me...But he sounds like real solid pick in round 4....I really like the Felton pick also...I really like your undrafted free agents also...Legursky is my favorite center in this draft and I really like the players you mentioned for the special teams...

lamberts-lost-tooth
03-24-2008, 05:31 AM
Very nice work like always......I really enjoy reading the work you put in these mocks and your draft info period...I'm not totally against picking a WR in the first round and Kelly would be fine....Even though I personally like Sweed and Hardy more...

But I'm really hoping one of these three Chris Williams, Brandon Albert (with the intent at keeping him at OG) or Quentin Groves will be the pick....

I'm high on Chris Williams...I think he will a very solid NFL LT....I really like the idea of Albert replacing Faneca also...I just like the thought of teaming Groves with Woodley.....Those two would be great combo at OLB for the future...But I also believe you can never have enough weapons for your QB...So really in the first round the best player available should be the approach...

I really like the Moore pick but I really like Langford also...I wouldn't be against using a 2nd round pick on Langford....That is probably a reach but I don't think Langford would last until our pick in the 3rd round...

Tyrell Johnson sounds like a real interesting pick....His name doesn't ring a bell with me...But he sounds like real solid pick in round 4....I really like the Felton pick also...I really like your undrafted free agents also...Legursky is my favorite center in this draft and I really like the players you mentioned for the special teams...

I like Sweed also...but with Hardys past domestic problems..and the current domestic trend with our own players...you can just about mark him off our list.
Langford is also a favorite of mine..and I have seen him as high as the second round on some draft boards...he fits our system pretty well...I had wondered if the Steelers may grab a DT and a DE in this draft and have been trying to gather some inclination on the front office's part as to that possibility.
IF we go Albert in the 1st, I think Langford is a possibility in the second. Another player I am keeping my eye on is WR Paul Hubbard. I have seen him anywhere from 2nd to 5th round...but if he is there in the 4th, and we havnt taken a WR yet...he is a possibility.

DACEB
03-24-2008, 07:22 AM
Well LLT, it seems like the Steelers are looking into your boy Legursky.

http://www.herald-dispatch.com/sports/x1183938073

Representatives from the Pittsburgh Steelers, Indianapolis Colts, New York Jets and Jacksonville Jaguars evaluated about a dozen former Thundering Herd players Friday. Most prominent among the professional football hopefuls were Morris and Legursky, who gradually have elevated their NFL stock in recent months.

And some more info from nfldraftscout.com
http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/profile.php?pyid=56407

Check out the paragraph dated 3/4/08, Keilen Dykes who has been working out with Legursky gives him big props.

"Doug is a freak in the weight room," said Dykes a fellow 300-pounder who works out with Legursky at Huntington's High Intensity Training Center under local agent Dave Rich. "He puts up big numbers. He's a big power guy." Legursky established numerous weight room records during his four-year Thundering Herd career. Dykes literally has been more hands-on with Legursky's training. They work with/against each other in lineman drills, and like Douglas, Dykes simply chuckles at Legursky's blend of power and mobility. "Doug is running times faster than (defensive ends) did at the (NFL) Combine," Dykes said. "It's been crazy. I see what he's running, like a 4.77, and I'm like 'wow.'

lamberts-lost-tooth
03-24-2008, 07:51 AM
Well LLT, it seems like the Steelers are looking into your boy Legursky.

http://www.herald-dispatch.com/sports/x1183938073

Representatives from the Pittsburgh Steelers, Indianapolis Colts, New York Jets and Jacksonville Jaguars evaluated about a dozen former Thundering Herd players Friday. Most prominent among the professional football hopefuls were Morris and Legursky, who gradually have elevated their NFL stock in recent months.

And some more info from nfldraftscout.com
http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/profile.php?pyid=56407

Check out the paragraph dated 3/4/08, Keilen Dykes who has been working out with Legursky gives him big props.

"Doug is a freak in the weight room," said Dykes a fellow 300-pounder who works out with Legursky at Huntington's High Intensity Training Center under local agent Dave Rich. "He puts up big numbers. He's a big power guy." Legursky established numerous weight room records during his four-year Thundering Herd career. Dykes literally has been more hands-on with Legursky's training. They work with/against each other in lineman drills, and like Douglas, Dykes simply chuckles at Legursky's blend of power and mobility. "Doug is running times faster than (defensive ends) did at the (NFL) Combine," Dykes said. "It's been crazy. I see what he's running, like a 4.77, and I'm like 'wow.'

Legursky is on some boards as early as the 5th round.

My "sleepers" of Benedict..Langford...Felton..and Legursky...have all made it onto the radar. I'm not surprised...all of them can be future starters in the NFL.

xXTheSteelKingsXx
03-24-2008, 07:30 PM
My "sleepers" of Benedict..Langford...Felton..and Legursky...have all made it onto the radar. I'm not surprised...all of them can be future starters in the NFL.

So do you think that it would be too much of a stretch to draft Langford with our 2nd round pick, LLT?

lamberts-lost-tooth
03-25-2008, 04:47 AM
So do you think that it would be too much of a stretch to draft Langford with our 2nd round pick, LLT?

I am a big believer in "best player" over "needs base"...but I also think that it has to be best available within that teams scheme.

That being said, "Best Player" should be determined by production and not by measurables...(though a player with both is preferable) a player with only one year of solid production scares the crap out of me regardless of height/weight/speed.

So.........Langford has shown solid production and his measurables fit our system for a 3-4 DE. I can forsee a situation where is he the "best player" for our scheme in the second round.

Benedict falls under that same category. He rates a 2nd-3rd round grade..but could be the best player for our system over obvious zone blocking OT's like Baker.

lamberts-lost-tooth
03-29-2008, 05:57 AM
The tragic death of Heath Benedict will shake up the draft board.

***********New update March 29 2008***********

1) OG/OT Branden Albert...6'7 317...Another player with very quick first step (1.71 at combine)...is said to be able to play LT...will spend this year competing for Fanecas LG slot and may be our LT of the future. We have to hope that either he or Otah is available at this point.
2) CB Tracy Porter....5'11 188... 4.37 speed, changes direction better than any CB in this draft...Good hands and great closing quickness...also is a premier return specialist. Would have liked to have gone with Justin King but he will probably be gone at this point.
3) WR Paul Hubbard...6'3 222...ran a 4.38 at his pro day...good leaping ability and tough enough to make catches over the middle...production hurt by knee injury, so much of what you will read on this guy is from 2006...had problems early on with dropping catches but could be a steal with proper coaching.
4) DE Brian Johnston...6'5 276...Powerful base..long arms and hands to fight off blockers..small school prospect that will benefit from pro weight program...weighed in at almost 280 at his pro-day but still ran a 4.66 and jumped a 35 inch vertical...very athletic.
5) FB/RB Jerome Felton... Height: 6'0 247...Smart and hard working ...scored 67 times as a short yardage specialist...read where someone counted 94 times in college that he couldnt be tackled with one man....has agility to take corner but would rather cover the ball and run you over. Steelers have been looking at FB & RB..Felton fits the bill with both.
6) B]FS Rocky Schwartz ...5'10 204 4.42 forty...25 reps on benchpress...led Houston's defense with 87 tackles. Not afraid of contact , depth at FS and will also play special teams

UDFA:
C Doug Legursky.....6'3 311...insurance at our most questionable position
S Jamie Silva ...5'10 202....another player that would be a special teams demon....doesnt have the athleticism to start but would stick on a roster based on heart and work ethic.

DACEB
03-29-2008, 11:12 AM
4) DE Brian Johnston...6'5 276...Powerful base..long arms and hands to fight off blockers..small school prospect that will benefit from pro weight program...weighed in at almost 280 at his pro-day but still ran a 4.66 and jumped a 35 inch vertical...very athletic.

I like this kid LLT. I had him penciled in the 6th round, has his stock risen that much in your opinion?

What do you make of the Eason signing? Do you think it shows that maybe they didn't like what they saw in the late round D-linemen they looked at? Powell & Dykes

lamberts-lost-tooth
03-29-2008, 11:17 AM
I like this kid LLT. I had him penciled in the 6th round, has his stock risen that much in your opinion?

What do you make of the Eason signing? Do you think it shows that maybe they didn't like what they saw in the late round D-linemen they looked at? Powell & Dykes

I think the signing of Eason is strictly an insurance policy...

...I think Johnston's stock is on the rise with his pro-day knockout...Some teams may even want him to slim down and play OLB in a 3-4.

lamberts-lost-tooth
03-29-2008, 01:47 PM
Due to resent speculation that Otah and Albert may both be gone by pick #23...I'm going to try a 2 scenerio draft..so here goes.

Scenerio #1 (With top tier OL available in first round)

1) OG/OT Branden Albert
2) CB Tracy Porter
3) WR Paul Hubbard
4) DE Brian Johnston
5) FB/RB Jerome Felton
6) FS Rocky Schwartz

Scenerio #2. (Without top tier OL available in the first round)

1) WR Malcolm Kelly
2) DE Kendall Langford
3) FS/CB Charles Godfrey
4) OT/OG Mike McGlynn
5) FB/RB Jerome Felton
6) ILB J Leman

Black@Gold Forever32
03-29-2008, 02:43 PM
Due to resent speculation that Otah and Albert may both be gone by pick #23...I'm going to try a 2 scenerio draft..so here goes.

1) OG/OT Branden Albert
2) CB Tracy Porter
3) WR Paul Hubbard
4) DE Brian Johnston
5) FB/RB Jerome Felton
6) FS Rocky Schwartz

1) WR Malcolm Kelly
2) DE Kendall Langford
3) FS/CB Charles Godfrey
4) OT/OG Mike McGlynn
5) FB/RB Jerome Felton
6) ILB J Leman

I like both of these drafts......I'm thinking Chris Williams and Brandon Albert both will be gone by 23...I don't want Otah....I think he is over-rated....with Williams and Albert gone...l wouldn't mind Kelly but I also like Groves.....

As for Johnston....If the Steelers draft him then I see him as an OLB....So Kelly would be the pick in the first instead of Groves...

lamberts-lost-tooth
03-29-2008, 03:30 PM
I like both of these drafts......I'm thinking Chris Williams and Brandon Albert both will be gone by 23...I don't want Otah....I think he is over-rated....with Williams and Albert gone...l wouldn't mind Kelly but I also like Groves.....

As for Johnston....If the Steelers draft him then I see him as an OLB....So Kelly would be the pick in the first instead of Groves...

If there is no legit OT/OG left...and we dont go WR..I think we may take scenerio #2 .....but take CB Justin King in the 1st..and then take either WR's Jordy Nelson or Paul Hubbard in the 3rd round

Texasteel
03-29-2008, 06:55 PM
The team that picks Malcolm Kelly in the 1st or the 2nd is going to have to make sure that his knees are in good shape. If they are this bad knees story could make him a real steal.

Between Nelson and Hubbard I think I like Nelson much better.

Galax Steeler
03-29-2008, 07:28 PM
The team that picks Malcolm Kelly in the 1st or the 2nd is going to have to make sure that his knees are in good shape. If they are this bad knees story could make him a real steal.

Have to agree I like nelson.

lamberts-lost-tooth
03-30-2008, 04:10 AM

Nelson has the better hands and is the better route runner....Hubbard has the ability to seperate and is faster. I am worried that he may not be there at the end of #3 but I think he may be the better reciever.

Texasteel
03-30-2008, 09:50 AM
Hubbards speed advantage of Nelson is much smaller that a lot think. Hubbard is more know for The Big Catch, But Nelson did have 6 or 8 catches this year over 20 yard, so I really think he can get seperation as well.
In my opinion, and this is only an opinion, Nelson is a much more polished WR, and would see more playing time quicker.
As to who will be there at the end of the 3rd round, maybe both, maybe neither. Each team probably has its own opinion of each player just like us.
I still like Bennett much better than either of them, but I am petty sure we would have to spend a 2nd pick on him.

lamberts-lost-tooth
03-30-2008, 10:15 AM
Hubbards speed advantage of Nelson is much smaller that a lot think. Hubbard is more know for The Big Catch, But Nelson did have 6 or 8 catches this year over 20 yard, so I really think he can get seperation as well.
In my opinion, and this is only an opinion, Nelson is a much more polished WR, and would see more playing time quicker.
As to who will be there at the end of the 3rd round, maybe both, maybe neither. Each team probably has its own opinion of each player just like us.
I still like Bennett much better than either of them, but I am petty sure we would have to spend a 2nd pick on him.

I agree that Nelson is the better reciever...but there is a pretty significant difference in their speed...Hubbard ran a 4.38 at his pro-day..Nelson ran a 4.49 (which is still respectable)....Interesting call on Bennett.
Did you happen to see that Marcus Monk ran a 4.41 at his pro-day?....6'4 and fast will upgrade your stock real quick!!

Texasteel
03-30-2008, 10:44 AM
I agree that Nelson is the better reciever...but there is a pretty significant difference in their speed...Hubbard ran a 4.38 at his pro-day..Nelson ran a 4.49 (which is still respectable)....Interesting call on Bennett.
Did you happen to see that Marcus Monk ran a 4.41 at his pro-day?....6'4 and fast will upgrade your stock real quick!!

Sorry, I had Hubbard at 4.43 for some reason.

Yes, I have been quietly keeping an eye on Monk all year. He is one of my favorites from last year and I had high hopes for him till he got hurt. I see he is now starting to climb the board a little, I hope not to much, and if he is heathy, which it is looking petty good, would in my opinion be the steel of the draft in the 4th round.

lamberts-lost-tooth
03-30-2008, 11:04 AM
Sorry, I had Hubbard at 4.43 for some reason.

Yes, I have been quietly keeping an eye on Monk all year. He is one of my favorites from last year and I had high hopes for him till he got hurt. I see he is now starting to climb the board a little, I hope not to much, and if he is heathy, which it is looking petty good, would in my opinion be the steel of the draft in the 4th round.

I think that a 4.41 should convince teams that his knees are better...and yea...I would LOVE him in the 4th!!!

Texasteel
03-30-2008, 11:13 AM
I know, I know, to much to hope for. I'm just going to keep an eye on him and see where he lands. Hopefully in Black and Gold.

lamberts-lost-tooth
03-31-2008, 04:43 AM
I know, I know, to much to hope for. I'm just going to keep an eye on him and see where he lands. Hopefully in Black and Gold.

There are several tall recievers that I would take a gamble on in this draft....Hubbard and Monk are two in the later rounds.

Texasteel
03-31-2008, 04:49 PM
What do you think of Adrian Arrington. I have thought that he was a little inconsistant, but he does have some talent.

lamberts-lost-tooth
04-01-2008, 05:09 AM
What do you think of Adrian Arrington. I have thought that he was a little inconsistant, but he does have some talent.

Not sure....They say he runs in the mid 4.4's...but he ran 4.55 and a 4.58 at his pro-day....

I think the Steelers will pass on him because of past domestic assault charges... we have enough of that type of press already.

warddj86
04-01-2008, 04:12 PM

FA pickups:
LB Carlos Dansby
OT Travelle Wharton
WR Justin Gage

I would like the idea of having J Gage on our team

lamberts-lost-tooth
04-02-2008, 04:38 AM
I would like the idea of having J Gage on our team

Gage was resigned.

The draft you are looking at is "version #1"....Oher stayed in school...and most of the FA's are gone.

lamberts-lost-tooth
04-04-2008, 06:12 AM

1) OG/OT Branden Albert
2) CB Tracy Porter
3) WR Paul Hubbard
4) DE Brian Johnston
5) FB/RB Jerome Felton
6) FS Rocky Schwartz

1) WR Malcolm Kelly
2) DE Kendall Langford
3) FS/CB Charles Godfrey
4) OT/OG Mike McGlynn
5) FB/RB Jerome Felton
6) ILB J Leman

Scenerio #3 (emphasis on Defensive and Offensive line)

1) CB Aqib Talib
2) OT Anthony Collins
3) DT Ahtyba Rubin
4) DE Nick Hayden
5) CB Antwaun Molden
6) OG Will Arnold

DACEB
04-04-2008, 10:17 AM

1) OG/OT Branden Albert still hoping I see
2) CB Tracy Porter
3) WR Paul Hubbard with those first two picks in place, i like it
4) DE Brian Johnston
5) FB/RB Jerome Felton
6) FS Rocky Schwartz

1) WR Malcolm Kelly I no longer see WR in the 1st as an option
2) DE Kendall Langford
3) FS/CB Charles Godfrey
4) OT/OG Mike McGlynn
5) FB/RB Jerome Felton
6) ILB J Leman I would love to see him in the 6th

1) CB Aqib Talib
2) OT Anthony Collins
3) DT Ahtyba Rubin
4) DE Nick Hayden why not Powell or Dykes
5) CB Antwaun Molden possibly won't last after the 4th
6) OG Will Arnold

how about;
OT Cherilus
OLB/DE Avril
DE Langford
DB DeCoud
DT Dykes
OL Legursky

DACEB
04-04-2008, 01:33 PM
What's the status on Tony Hills OT and Ikegwounu CB. I haven't heard anything about their injuries or subsequent rehab.

These are two guys to keep an eye on, IMO, they could be steals late due to their injuries.

Aussie_steeler
04-04-2008, 09:07 PM
What's the status on Tony Hills OT and Ikegwounu CB. I haven't heard anything about their injuries or subsequent rehab.

These are two guys to keep an eye on, IMO, they could be steals late due to their injuries.

Ikegwounu could be a great steal in the sixth if we could find away to get an extra pick. I think the same way about Ryan Torain RB Arizona State. Two guys that were first round picks until injury. The teams depth is good enough to warrant Ikegwounu sitting on injured reserve for the season.

Aussie_steeler
04-04-2008, 09:14 PM

1) OG/OT Branden Albert
2) CB Tracy Porter
3) WR Paul Hubbard
4) DE Brian Johnston
5) FB/RB Jerome Felton
6) FS Rocky Schwartz

1) WR Malcolm Kelly
2) DE Kendall Langford
3) FS/CB Charles Godfrey
4) OT/OG Mike McGlynn
5) FB/RB Jerome Felton
6) ILB J Leman

1) CB Aqib Talib
2) OT Anthony Collins
3) DT Ahtyba Rubin
4) DE Nick Hayden
5) CB Antwaun Molden
6) OG Will Arnold

Taking pieces from each scenario I would come up with
1)CB Talib
2) OT Collins
3) WR Hubbard
4) DE Johnson
5) RB / FB Felton
6) ILB Lehman

I like scenario 2 the most ( except for Kelly, I have my doubts)

I love the way you just keep messing with my mind LLT. Just when I about to put out a new mock you and the other posters in draft central throw around new scenarios that make me analyse from a new view.:cheers:

lamberts-lost-tooth
04-05-2008, 04:33 AM

Isnt Ikegwounu the guy who was just arrested for stealing an X-Box?

UPDATE: Found the article:

All-Big Ten cornerback Jack Ikegwuonu of Wisconsin and his twin brother, reserve safety Bill of Northern Illinois, 20, were arrested Nov. 25 after breaking into a residence in DeKalb, Ill., and stealing an Xbox. The owner returned home at 2 a.m. to see Jack allegedly holding the game system. He fled, and the resident called police after seeing him run into an apartment building. Police found him later walking outside, again with the Xbox in his hand, according to the Wisconsin State Journal. Jack Ikegwuonu was suspended but reinstated Dec. 15 in time for Wisconsin's Capital One Bowl game against Arkansas on Monday. His trial is set for Jan. 17. Bill, whose trial is pending, was injured and already out for the season.
http://www.denverpost.com/ci_4926152

lamberts-lost-tooth
04-05-2008, 04:40 AM
Taking pieces from each scenario I would come up with
1)CB Talib
2) OT Collins
3) WR Hubbard
4) DE Johnson
5) RB / FB Felton
6) ILB Lehman

I like scenario 2 the most ( except for Kelly, I have my doubts)

I love the way you just keep messing with my mind LLT. Just when I about to put out a new mock you and the other posters in draft central throw around new scenarios that make me analyse from a new view.:cheers:

Funny that you took players from different scenerios....my son (also a draft geek) came up with:

1) CB Aqib Talib
2) WR Jordy Nelson (one of my son's favorites)
3) OG/OT Jeremy Zuttah
4) DE Nick Hayden
5) FB/RB Jerome Felton
6) ILB J Lehman

Galax Steeler
04-05-2008, 07:54 AM
I liked the no.1 scenario you had aussie steeler but from what I have been seeing lately I'm starting to have my doubts of albert being there in the first as much as I would like to have him.

MasterOfPuppets
04-05-2008, 12:42 PM

These are two guys to keep an eye on, IMO, they could be steals late due to their injuries.the only one that'll be keepin an eye on ikegwounu, will be his parole officer.....:toofunny:

MasterOfPuppets
04-05-2008, 01:03 PM
1 cason / CB
2 rachal / OG
3 rubin / DT
4 barton / OT
5 monk / WR
6 larsen / ILB

Rhee Rhee
04-05-2008, 02:29 PM
1 cason / CB
2 rachal / OG
3 rubin / DT
4 barton / OT
5 monk / WR
6 larsen / ILB

now this draft i can handle... with lone exception being cason... maybe we can land talib... but if talib isn't there then w/e cason is good enough and can double as a returner...

DACEB
04-05-2008, 03:08 PM
the only one that'll be keepin an eye on ikegwounu, will be his parole officer.....:toofunny:

Yea no shit, guess we can scratch him off the list.:dang:

DACEB
04-05-2008, 03:16 PM
how about;
OT Cherilus
OLB/DE Avril
DE Langford
DB DeCoud
DT Dykes
OL Legursky

This is all wrong, I'm trying to conform to the team going O-line in the 1st. Now I'm going MY WAY!

I don't think either Albert, Otah or Talib will be available so;

Groves OLB/DE
Moore DT or Bryant DT
Lanford DE
Moulden CB or DeCoud DB
Dunlop OT
Legursky OC or Velasco OC

MasterOfPuppets
04-05-2008, 03:24 PM
now this draft i can handle... with lone exception being cason... maybe we can land talib... but if talib isn't there then w/e cason is good enough and can double as a returner...
i just think talib will be gone by then ( houston or dallas )

MasterOfPuppets
04-05-2008, 04:34 PM
This is all wrong, I'm trying to conform to the team going O-line in the 1st. Now I'm going MY WAY!

Groves OLB/DE
Moore DT or Bryant DT
Lanford DE
Moulden CB or DeCoud DB
Dunlop OT

wow!!!.....really ???......i wouldn't hate the groves pick, i wouldn't be suprised to see him make more of an impact than derrick harvey, and i'd love to have dre moore, but do you really think pickin 3 guys off the bat to ride the pine for the next few years would be a good idea ? they did just resign hoke and kershkie, and apparently thier not giving up on the booger. i think they go with one DL at the most, and being that its only for depth i doubt if it'll be before rd 3 unless its a high value pick on thier board. you really think thier gonna spend a pick on a center despite signing hartwig? i know you think the current line can be fixed by moving players around, but what if it doesn't? what if marvel says adios next year ? what if colon or mahan doesn't improve by changing positions ? does starks having a few descent games on the left mean he's turned the corner ? to me thats way to many " ifs ", and to many risks to not consider drafting Oline early. the line is in the shape its in now by not addressing it early,the last 5 yrs and banking on late RD picks to pan out.

xXTheSteelKingsXx
04-05-2008, 05:03 PM

Groves OLB/DE
Moore DT or Bryant DT
Lanford DE
Moulden CB or DeCoud DB
Dunlop OT

I think that we have to address the o-line earlier than the 5th. I have to think that a we pick up a guard or tackle in one of the first three rounds.

lamberts-lost-tooth
04-05-2008, 05:17 PM

Groves OLB/DE
Moore DT or Bryant DT
Lanford DE
Moulden CB or DeCoud DB
Dunlop OT

I dont think that we will go LB in the first round...but if we follow the "Youth Movement" idea...it would be possible in the first 4 picks.

Perhaps:

1) CB's Talib Aqib or Tracy Porter (I would love EITHER of them)
2) OG Chilo Rachal (At 6'6 322 he could probably play Tackle also)
3) DT Ahtyba Rubin (Strong...and moving up draft boards)
4) ILB Jameel McClain (underrated LBer...Steelers find value in the 4th)
5) DE Nick Hayden (6'4 291, 35 reps on the benchpress)
6) FS Rocky Schwartz (5'10 204..4.42 40...second highest bench of the safeties...87 tackles as a senior)

SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO many possibilities!!!!!!!!!!

DACEB
04-05-2008, 06:14 PM
I told you guys I was doing it my way, and that's defense.

I know it's borderline obsurd, but it appears the value just won't be there at OT in the first two rounds when we pick. Why should we reach when there's defensive talent everywhere. Drafting a guard doesn't help the immediate and future questions on the line. Even if we cut Mahan, we still have five guys that play the interior line.

As far as riding the pine, any one of those defensive players would contribute considerably more than ANY O-lineman not named Albert. All of those players would be put in rotation with the present starters. Groves would be groomed to replace Harrison, don't forget Woodley was an exception in how quickly he learned the defense. If Langford is as good as we think Keisel could end up in the back-up role again. Moore would provide that BIG-bodied pass rusher that we're looking for in the middle.

I know what your saying, so what O-TACKLE gets drafted in the first two rounds. Taking into consideration who will most likely be gone, 5 in the 1st and 10 by the time we pick in the 2nd, it's slim pickings.

MasterOfPuppets
04-05-2008, 07:14 PM
I told you guys I was doing it my way, and that's defense.

I know it's borderline obsurd, but it appears the value just won't be there at OT in the first two rounds when we pick. Why should we reach when there's defensive talent everywhere. Drafting a guard doesn't help the immediate and future questions on the line. Even if we cut Mahan, we still have five guys that play the interior line.

As far as riding the pine, any one of those defensive players would contribute considerably more than ANY O-lineman not named Albert. All of those players would be put in rotation with the present starters. Groves would be groomed to replace Harrison, don't forget Woodley was an exception in how quickly he learned the defense. If Langford is as good as we think Keisel could end up in the back-up role again. Moore would provide that BIG-bodied pass rusher that we're looking for in the middle. dre moore isn't known for his pass rushing, but he is excellent against the run, at 6 - 4....310 lbs, i'd say in the 3-4 , his speed would be better utilized as a DE.

I know what your saying, so what O-TACKLE gets drafted in the first two rounds. Taking into consideration who will most likely be gone, 5 in the 1st and 10 by the time we pick in the 2nd, it's slim pickings.hey i'm all for adding new blood to the DL, but why resign eason, and kershke, if your planning on possably spending multiple picks in an attempt to upgrade your depth? they only carry 6 DL on the 53 man roster. have you ever known the steelers to resign a player, then cut em in favor of a rookie the same year?

Rhee Rhee
04-07-2008, 05:10 AM
hey i'm all for adding new blood to the DL, but why resign eason, and kershke, if your planning on possably spending multiple picks in an attempt to upgrade your depth? they only carry 6 DL on the 53 man roster. have you ever known the steelers to resign a player, then cut em in favor of a rookie the same year?

remember that those were two year deals that probably means they'll be onboard for probably this season while the new DL is learning his role and then will be released later on maybe next season...

try this draft on for size...

1. Phillip Merling DE/DT CLemson
2. Anthony Collins OT Kansas/Carl Nicks OT Nebraska
3. Tyvon Branch CB Uconn/ Earl Bennett WR Vanderbilt
4. Ahtyba Rubin Iowa State DT
5. Tommy Blake DE/OLB TCU
6. Shannon Tevaga OG UCLA
7. Jerome Felton FB Furman

DACEB
04-07-2008, 07:19 AM
hey i'm all for adding new blood to the DL, but why resign eason, and kershke, if your planning on possably spending multiple picks in an attempt to upgrade your depth? they only carry 6 DL on the 53 man roster. have you ever known the steelers to resign a player, then cut em in favor of a rookie the same year?

Insurance. If they are cut only the signing bonus is spread over two seasons, I believe. That would be a small amount in those cases, a small price to pay. Especially not knowing what direction the draft will take. If Albert is available, for example, that changes the remainder of the draft.

Moore would help with the pass rush on the inside of a 4 man line on obvious passing downs. I would agree that in the base 3-4, at this point with his wieght, he would line up at DE.

steelymcmatt
04-11-2008, 07:55 PM
How about this:

1) Traded to Atlanta for 2.37 and 3.68
2.37). OT Sam Baker
2) DE Kendall Langford
3.68) S Dejuan Morgan
3) OT/OG Mike McGlynn
4) WR Marcus Monk
5) FB/RB Jerome Felton
6) ILB J Lehman

19ward86
04-11-2008, 09:36 PM
How about this:

2.37). OT Sam Baker
2) DE Kendall Langford
3.68) S Dejuan Morgan
3) OT/OG Mike McGlynn
4) WR Marcus Monk
5) FB/RB Jerome Felton
6) ILB J Lehman

A. Sam Baker is a center, not an OT.
B. That might be the worst mock draft ever.

MasterOfPuppets
04-11-2008, 10:35 PM
B. That might be the worst mock draft ever. :bonk:

Texasteel
04-12-2008, 07:30 AM
How about this:

2.37). OT Sam Baker
2) DE Kendall Langford
3.68) S Dejuan Morgan
3) OT/OG Mike McGlynn
4) WR Marcus Monk
5) FB/RB Jerome Felton
6) ILB J Lehman

Baker started the year high on a lot of lists as an OT but has been moving down the list the last couple months.

Langford is one of my favorite plays this year, some think that he may be available in the 3rd round but I'm not to sure. Not that much of a reach in the 2nd round.

A bunch of people think that Morgan is the 2nd best S in the draft, think he may be gone in the 2nd.

Mixed feelings on McGlynn, but think there could be a better choice in the 3rd.

Monk is showing signs the he is healthy, and if he is would be, not could be, a steal in the 4th.

Don't know much about Felton, but have heard some pretty good things.

Not a Lehman fan, but this is the 6th round.

Replace the 2 linemen and I don't think thats such a bad draft. Might argue CB over S, but not a bad job at all.

lamberts-lost-tooth
04-14-2008, 12:11 PM
Getting closer to draft day...so only two more updates as to where I think we may go....

1) OT Gosder Cherilus
2) FS/CB Charles Godfrey
3) DT Ahtyba Rubin
4) DE Brian Johnston
5) WR Ernie Wheelwright
6) ILB J Leman

DACEB
04-14-2008, 01:11 PM
Getting closer to draft day...so only two more updates as to where I think we may go....

1) OT Gosder Cherilus
2) FS/CB Charles Godfrey
3) DT Ahtyba Rubin
4) DE Brian Johnston
5) WR Ernie Wheelwright
6) ILB J Leman

So LLT, your giving in to Cherilus at 1.23. What really shocks me is you don't have Langford in the 3rd, he will be available in the 3rd.

I wanted to ask you, don't you find it strange at all that there has been no talk whatsoever from the team on Balmer. I mean I understand that he isn't the pick for alot of us for whatever reason, but no talk at all? I find it strange.

lamberts-lost-tooth
04-14-2008, 01:56 PM
So LLT, your giving in to Cherilus at 1.23. What really shocks me is you don't have Langford in the 3rd, he will be available in the 3rd.

I wanted to ask you, don't you find it strange at all that there has been no talk whatsoever from the team on Balmer. I mean I understand that he isn't the pick for alot of us for whatever reason, but no talk at all? I find it strange.

I agree that Langford will be available in the late 2nd early 3rd, but I think we will see him go early or middle 3....IF he is available...OH YEAH..I would grab him..but I think a team like the Rams or Chiefs may grab him early third

Balmer is a late 1st early 2nd pick...he fits our system...but unless he slides to late second...we wont grab a DE that early (in my opinion)...I am sold on us going OT and CB with the first two picks.

Give It To Abercrombie
04-14-2008, 09:50 PM

A center?? If you are going to blast someone, you should be a little more sure about your information. :coffee:

Elvis
04-15-2008, 07:04 AM
Sam Baker OT 6'5 309 USC

By: Robert Davis

Baker redshirted his first season at USC, and has been in the starting lineup since stepping on the field. He was a freshmen AA in 2004, then became an All American his sophomore and junior years as well. He enters as one of the top tackle prospects in the nation, and is a Playboy AA. He was injured for a good portion of the season this year with a hamstring problem, but he continued to try and play through it. He was again named to many All American teams, but that probably had more to do with his name than the product on the field.
Baker is an excellent all around offensive tackle prospect. He is a four year starter at left tackle for USC, and has done an excellent job keeping John David Booty and Matt Leinart clean. He is a solid athlete, with the ability to move well laterally, keeping defenders away from his QB in pass protection. Baker is also sound at the point of attack, and can push defenders around to clear out room in the running game.
It is hard to criticize Baker?s game, but if pressed, it is that he does not have any one truly amazing physical trait. He is not a mammoth offensive lineman that can just drive defenders into the ground, and he?s not the athletic freak that can mirror every end he faces. He also had knee surgery in January, and will need to prove everything is clear with that as the season approaches.
Sam Baker has slid a bit in some people?s minds, but that is only because he was injured for half the season. When he played, he was not at 100% and it showed. Since he is not a physical marvel, he will not command a premium selection. If he lasts long into the second round though, he becomes a steal.

lamberts-lost-tooth
04-15-2008, 11:06 AM
Sam Baker is an OT...and will be very good...HOWEVER...he is a zone blocker and not a power blocker which means he wouldnt fit our scheme.

MasterOfPuppets
04-15-2008, 08:04 PM
Sam Baker is an OT...and will be very good...HOWEVER...he is a zone blocker and not a power blocker which means he wouldnt fit our scheme. :huh: are you sure ??? i heard from a reliable source, he was a center......:wtf:

lamberts-lost-tooth
04-16-2008, 10:12 AM
:huh: are you sure ??? i heard from a reliable source, he was a center......:wtf:

There is a Sam Baker National Park in Missouri....and it does in fact have a Visitor Center.....(I'm trying to cover your back....but its a reach)

Sam Baker played 4 years at LT and is considered a finesse LT that will fit in well with teams like the Broncos or the Colts....but he relies to much on technigue and too little on power to be effective in our scheme.

Its players like Baker that have convinced me that we will go with Cherilus in the first round. Although this draft is deep in OT's...there are few starters outside the first round that fit our style of blocking.

El-Gonzo Jackson
04-16-2008, 10:52 AM
Yeah, Baker has experience and will be a good pro. Some have said he can play either Tackle spot and might be better playing inside at guard, but they didnt say he can play Center.

I too think that Cherilus might be the best tackle available at #23, but still dont rule out taking one in round 2 like Nicks or Collins.

lamberts-lost-tooth
04-16-2008, 11:17 AM
Yeah, Baker has experience and will be a good pro. Some have said he can play either Tackle spot and might be better playing inside at guard, but they didnt say he can play Center.

I too think that Cherilus might be the best tackle available at #23, but still dont rule out taking one in round 2 like Nicks or Collins.

I have a pretty strong rule about avoiding players who have not shown production for at least two years of college...I like Collins...but Nicks I personally would pass on.

MasterOfPuppets
04-17-2008, 04:21 PM
There is a Sam Baker National Park in Missouri....and it does in fact have a Visitor Center.....(I'm trying to cover your back....but its a reach)

Sam Baker played 4 years at LT and is considered a finesse LT that will fit in well with teams like the Broncos or the Colts....but he relies to much on technigue and too little on power to be effective in our scheme.

Its players like Baker that have convinced me that we will go with Cherilus in the first round. Although this draft is deep in OT's...there are few starters outside the first round that fit our style of blocking.:sofunny: c'mon LLT, i would think you and i have talked enough draft, that you'd know i was joking about baker..... at someone else's expense of course....:flap: ( hipchest has been a bad influence ) :wink02: