PDA

View Full Version : Ben doesn't play but still sets records

lamberts-lost-tooth
12-31-2007, 06:34 AM
Ben doesn't play but still sets records
By Mike Bires, Times Sports Staff
Published: Monday, December 31, 2007 12:08 AM EST

On the last day of the regular season, Ben Roethlisberger rested. And as he did, he set another Steelers? passing record.

Because he didn?t play in Sunday?s loss to the Ravens, Roethlisberger finishes with a 104.1 passer rating. That breaks the record of 98.6 he set two years ago.

Roethlisberger now owns the top three passer ratings in franchise history. As a rookie, he compiled a 98.1 rating. His four-year passer rating of 92.5 is also the best career mark for any Steelers? quarterback.

Roethlisberger?s 32 touchdown passes this season is also a team record. The previous record of 28 was set by Bradshaw in 1978.

Galax Steeler
12-31-2007, 07:18 AM
Look at the possibilites next year. :thumbsup:

PisnNapalm
12-31-2007, 08:20 AM
Ben is the man. No doubt. I knew in his rookie year that he was something special. He has poise under pressure that very few QB's possess.

HometownGal
12-31-2007, 08:59 AM
Imagine what those numbers would be if he hadn't been sacked 47 times and had a viable OL in front of him!!! You really have to give Ben a ton of credit for putting up numbers like that with that wall of swiss cheese in front of him this season. :thumbsup:

Kudos to Ben on a great regular season! :cheers: This young man is only going to get better!

P.S. I also have to give Tomlin, Arians and Ken Anderson a bit of kudos for taking the straightjacket off of Ben and allowing him to spread his wings and fly. :cheers:

19ward86
12-31-2007, 12:16 PM
never would of happened if cowher was HC and if wiz was OC, they forced the run down opponents throats while tomlin goes with what they give us. i like either way, but tomlins way is more like the common way of coaching, 20 yrs ago a running game was the most important thing, now with manning, moss, brady, roethlisberger, and great TEs there are teams who have running games anymore. just like the falcons, texans, bears.

Welcome To Smashmouth
12-31-2007, 05:44 PM
Roethlisberger now owns the top three passer ratings in franchise history.

This ...... just.....amazes me.

Did we not have a man by the name of Terry Bradshaw on this team?? Maybe Ben finally works his way onto the list of top 5 QBs in the league

MasterOfPuppets
12-31-2007, 06:04 PM
This ...... just.....amazes me.

Did we not have a man by the name of Terry Bradshaw on this team?? Maybe Ben finally works his way onto the list of top 5 QBs in the leagueummmmm......i'm not knocking bradshaw, the man is wearing 4 sb rings,but if you look at bradshaws stats ( of course the rules weren't tailored to a successful passing game as they are now )they weren't that impressive. as a matter of fact, by todays standards,they suck.

http://www.mcmillenandwife.com/bradshaw_career_stats.html

51.9 carreer completion %
57.7 % highest in carreer in a single season
4 seasons over 20 td passes.
the year he threw the record 28 td's,he also threw 20 picks.
5 out of 12 years he threw 20 + int's
212 td's.....210 int's

Edman
12-31-2007, 06:04 PM
The top focus in the offseason is to build an Offensive Line and get some more offensive weapons for Ben. Our franchise QB has hit the next level and is just entering his prime. The Steelers must not waste this opportunity. It would be a travesty.

fansince'76
12-31-2007, 06:09 PM
ummmmm......i'm not knocking bradshaw, the man is wearing 4 sb rings,but if you look at bradshaws stats ( of course the rules weren't tailored to a successful passing game as they are now ) weren't that impressive. as a matter of fact, by todays standards,they suck.

http://www.mcmillenandwife.com/bradshaw_career_stats.html

51.9 carreer completion %
57.7 % highest in carreer
4 seasons over 20 td passes.
the year he threw the record 28 td's,he also threw 20 picks.
5 out of 12 years he threw 20 + int's
212 td's.....210 int's

And his first 4-5 years were truly abysmal. If Ben had the start to his career that Bradshaw had, he'd have been run out of the 'Burgh already.

yinzer-inseattle
12-31-2007, 06:20 PM
The top focus in the offseason is to build an Offensive Line and get some more offensive weapons for Ben. Our franchise QB has hit the next level and is just entering his prime. The Steelers must not waste this opportunity. It would be a travesty.

Amen

Ben did all of that with a line that grades in at a D+ and B level receivers. Talk about upside!. If they strengthen those two areas we will see better and bigger things from Ben.

I think every time Ben throws the ball the crowd should scream "You da man" like they do when Tiger tees off.:tt02: He's a keeper!

Steelersfan4life0655
12-31-2007, 06:40 PM
i know its water under the bridge, but seriously if all that stuff that happened to Ben last year wouldnt have happened, all i can say is WOW!!! i think he would have had a tremendous year. But wait it's Roethlisbergr, he's just a game manager:flap: ben is something special and will be until he retires and hopefully hes a steeler until the day he hangs it up!:tt02:

AFC
12-31-2007, 08:42 PM
Imagine what those numbers would be if he hadn't been sacked 47 times and had a viable OL in front of him!!!

Indeed. I often fantasize about that. :banana:

Seriously, though. I am really eager to power up the flux capacitor and check out next years O-line. It can only get better, I often (but optimistically) mumble to myself.

Rhee Rhee
12-31-2007, 09:58 PM
imagine if brady got injurded week one of the season and was put on IR... who'd get ur MVP vote? psh id say mister roethlsiberger

Dynasty
01-01-2008, 12:26 AM
Imagine what those numbers would be if he hadn't been sacked 47 times and had a viable OL in front of him!!!

QB STATS:
.............................CMP ATT YDS CMP% YPA LNG TD INT SACK RAT
Roethlisberger:.264...404.3154 65.3.....7.81...83...32..11.....47....104.1
Anderson:..........298...527.3787.56.5.....7.19... 78...29..19.....14.....82.5
Ben has a much higher Completion %, almost .6 more YPA, more TDs, 8 less INTs, a passer rating 22 points higher.... All while being sacked almost 4 TIMES AS MUCH!

If we had an O-line as good as Cleveland does, Ben would be having a season of Brady-esque proportions. Even with his crappy WRs earlier, Tom the Pansy was successful because the Patsies have had an awesome line. QB success has a lot more to do with how much time you have and how much pressure you're under than how good your WRs are. As long as they can catch....

Glad we have Ben, but if he theoretically played for NE this year, I think he would very likely have a better year than Brady is... Roethlisberger has the second highest TD percentage, and the 4th highest YPA. The 3 players ahead of him in YPA are Brady, Romo, and Manning, who all have better WRs, as well as better lines. If Ben was in any of their situations, he would be regarded as the Best QB in the league...

Ben has some of the highest potential of any player in the league IMO, and if our offense can shape up, he will be unstoppable.

MasterOfPuppets
01-01-2008, 01:18 AM
you just gotta know the chargers and giants are just kickin themselves in the ass !!!:sofunny:

alittlejazzbird
01-01-2008, 08:36 PM
you just gotta know the chargers and giants are just kickin themselves in the ass !!!:sofunny:

Speaking as someone who watches the Giants every week, and who listens to the New York sports media on radio and TV pretty much every day, I can tell you for certain that there is a lot of regret about the way the whole E. Manning/Roethlisberger thing shook out. Many of the fans here are furious, after seeing how Ben has played (last season notwithstanding), that the Giants were so adamant that they had to have Eli. The Maras were so besotted with the Manning mystique that it never actually occurred to them that Eli and Peyton aren't the same person.

Eli is a good quarterback, but four seasons into his career, it's obvious that Eli will never be Peyton. Ben, on the other hand, has moved into true franchise status and is approaching the P. Manning/Brady level, and it's obvious to anyone who sees him that his prime years are still ahead of him. Count me as one person who is very happy that Ben is a Steeler and not a Giant!!!!

shevdog
01-01-2008, 09:40 PM
Great job Big Ben! Put up some impressive numbers this post season!

iloveben7
01-02-2008, 02:52 PM
Ben is just simply amazing. I can't wait to see many more years of Ben!!

SteelersJW
01-02-2008, 03:45 PM
Holy shit, I never thaught of that. Congrats Ben!!!

Elvis
01-02-2008, 04:09 PM
http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/18/18_1_216.gif (http://www.smileycentral.com/?partner=ZSzeb001_ZNxmk788YYUS) Look at the possibilites next year. :thumbsup:
Just imagine what will happen next year if the Steelers get a real O Line in front of him...
As bad as our O Line has been this year, it would have been fun to have seen just how good those numbers would have been if had a good O Line of front of him this year..

http://www.smileycentral.com/sig.jsp?pc=ZSzeb096&pp=ZNxmk788YYUS (http://smiley.smileycentral.com/download/index.jhtml?partner=ZSzeb096_ZNxmk788YYUS&utm_id=7924)

IDSteeler
01-03-2008, 11:54 AM
Big Ben is the man. He does all this with a horrible O-line. BEN for President in '08!!