PDA

View Full Version : Feels like home for Haynes

lamberts-lost-tooth
12-31-2007, 07:36 AM
Feels like home for Haynes
By Chris Harlan , Times Sports Staff
Published: Monday, December 31, 2007 12:08 AM EST

BALTIMORE ? Verron Haynes watched most of this season from the couch in his Georgia home, but his thoughts were with his former Steelers teammates.

Now reunited, Haynes says he feels like he never left.

?These guys in here, they always extend the team love, the courtesy, the camaraderie,? Haynes said after Sunday?s 27-21 loss to the Baltimore Ravens. ?They always do that. ? I?ve been a part of this family for six years. That helped me out because I was able to come back and feel comfortable.?

Haynes had one catch for 12 yards and a first down while playing his first game back with the Steelers since being cut during training camp. The 28-year-old admits he was bitter when the Steelers released him after he?d spend the off-season working his way back from reconstructive knee surgery.

Now, though, he insists it was for the best.

?Initially, yes, I was upset,? Haynes said. ?I?m not going to lie about that. ? I worked extremely hard to come back. But this probably prolonged my career. It gave me ample time to rest.?

Haynes was sitting home watching the Steelers game in St. Louis when he saw running back Willie Parker suffer a season-ending broken leg. Before the team had even left the Edward Jones Dome locker room, Haynes said, the Steelers were calling him to fill Parker?s roster spot.

?It gave me a chance to get my mind set,? he said.

Wednesday he was back at practice.

Used primarily as a third-down back, Haynes rushed for 78 yards in the seven games he played last season before tearing knee ligaments against the Raiders in Oakland. With Najeh Davenport now the starter, Haynes will see playing time on third downs and special teams.

?If I wasn?t here, I?d probably be watching them,? Haynes said, ?so it?s good just getting out there with these guys.?

Galax Steeler
12-31-2007, 08:04 AM
I just saw verron make one play against the ravens did i just miss him or was he sitting on the bench alot.

STEELtownHAVOX
12-31-2007, 08:05 AM
great to seem him back, even with his same number. like he wasn't even gone.

i seen him playing special teams as well.

xXTheSteelKingsXx
12-31-2007, 12:30 PM
Veron looked good on the few plays he was in on.

19ward86
12-31-2007, 01:24 PM
i seen him on special teams and on that 1 offensive play. he looked healthy and it excited me about us maybe having an actual running game. even though we only had like 75 yds rushing.

fansince'76
12-31-2007, 01:37 PM
he looked healthy and it excited me about us maybe having an actual running game. even though we only had like 75 yds rushing.

Let's see - you devote another thread to the premise that our running game sucks with Willie as the main guy (despite the fact he led the league most of the year in rushing before he got injured). Yet you cream your jeans over a third-down back that wasn't good enough to make the final cut in TC, and ostensibly wasn't good enough to make anybody else's roster either, as he sure as hell answered the phone and was available when we called him about being an emergency backup. Whatever.

steelpride12
12-31-2007, 01:51 PM
I love seeing this guy back, and i would love to keep him around for awhile he is an excellent 3rd down back and can make the right plays at the right time.
Nice to see you back buddy! :)

ShutDown24
12-31-2007, 01:57 PM
Verron looked GREAT. He threw a nice block, got a first down and played a very good game on ST. He needs to stay.