PDA

View Full Version : Catch 22 on the Steelers fanbase

Lord Stiller
12-31-2007, 12:41 PM
Yes we probably have more fans than any team

Yes we definitely have more fans at away games than any team by far

Yes we are more passionate than any fanbase

BUT

Why are are fans so weak at home games? Not consistently loud like many other stadiums are and tons of people leave early to "beat traffic or whatever"

It really pisses me off. My theory is that its so popular to be a steelers fan and the tix are so expensive that you get all these "yuppy" fans going to the game. I have noticed a HUGE difference in the crowd from the old 3 Rivers Days to now at Heinz field.

I have been to 40+ home games in my life, 5 away games, 11 playoff games, 4 AFC championship games and 1 SB. The greatest game BY FAR I have ever been to was the '03 wildcard game vs Cleveland. We had club seats but didnt want to sit near the yuppies so we stood in the rotunda and had the best time ever. Well over half the stadium left at the end of the 3rd and only the true passionate fans remained to watch the Browns 17-pt lead crumble.

Jeremy
12-31-2007, 12:47 PM
One thing I've noticed is that there have been some bad weather games at the end of the last couple of season. That might have been keeping fans away.

But I agree, Heinz Field has been far too quiet. Heck, University Of Phoenix Stadium is louder than Heniz Field these days.

moedap
12-31-2007, 01:15 PM
The folks here in Wash D.C. have been complaining about the crowd noise at Fed Ex Field. RFK stadium holds 58,000 compared to Fed Ex's 90,000+ but the fans who went to both stadiums say RFK was by far the loudest. I dont know the difference between Heinz and old 3 Rivers but I think it a combination of the corporate sponsor fan and the designs of the stadium. The larger stadiums may have more sound loss.

Jeremy
12-31-2007, 01:16 PM
New stadiums = higher ticket prices = loss of Joe Six Pack.

19ward86
12-31-2007, 02:08 PM
i have noticed that also, our home games are almost silent unless we are on a comeback from 14 under. i think the fact that the stadium is so open plays a huge role why it is so quiet. idk because i have never been to a steelers game becuase i have never had the money to get good enough seats to enjoy, i was offered tickets to a 49ers away game a few years back but it would of costed around $400 and i was only 13 or 14 at the time.

83-Steelers-43
12-31-2007, 02:28 PM
If you look at the home games this season, the weather has not been the greatest. The fans are there (attendance). If our home was warm and sunny like San Diego, Phoenix or Oakland it's a bit easier to cheer.

When you have wind blowing freezing rain in your face all afternoon it tends to be a little difficult to cheer for four quarters straight. Normally your main objective is to keep warm. It's a little different than sitting in a warm family room or your local bar.

Personally, I'll take snow/blizzard over the weather that I've encountered at just about every home game this season. It's been miserable.

Michael Keller
12-31-2007, 02:33 PM
Yes we probably have more fans than any team

Yes we definitely have more fans at away games than any team by far

Yes we are more passionate than any fanbase

BUT

Why are are fans so weak at home games? Not consistently loud like many other stadiums are and tons of people leave early to "beat traffic or whatever"

It really pisses me off. My theory is that its so popular to be a steelers fan and the tix are so expensive that you get all these "yuppy" fans going to the game. I have noticed a HUGE difference in the crowd from the old 3 Rivers Days to now at Heinz field.

I have been to 40+ home games in my life, 5 away games, 11 playoff games, 4 AFC championship games and 1 SB. The greatest game BY FAR I have ever been to was the '03 wildcard game vs Cleveland. We had club seats but didnt want to sit near the yuppies so we stood in the rotunda and had the best time ever. Well over half the stadium left at the end of the 3rd and only the true passionate fans remained to watch the Browns 17-pt lead crumble.

You are very qualified to make your observations well known and your opinion is shared by me. I am from Sacramento via Aliquippa Pa. The last two games I went to at Heinz field , this year vs Jacksonville and two years ago against tthe Pats I thought the fan enthusiasm was above average but not nearly as intense as I hoped for.

Here in Sacramento the Steeler fans at the local bars are much more vocal and excited then the fans back at the Burgh. Most of the Steelers fans here in Sacramento our the children of fans from this area from the 70's teams. They are not from Pittsburgh and they love Steeler football .

I see the yuppie syndromne at Heinz and I see many fans that are there for the Party of drinking and just getting high. Thse fans are constantly going back and forth to the concession stands to get beers and I am on the edge of my seat reilsihing every moment. These guys are not into the game.

I think there is a significant percentage of Steeler fans at the home games that are not true die hards but I also think there are more fans at the home games who are not die hards. The fact that all the fans are not shocks people like you and I .

The Sacramento fans as well as other fans in other cities are true fans and for the 3 hours the Steelers are on TV being shown at the various bars or if we travel to San Fran or Phoenix we are very dedicated and into it.

I am glad you brought this up because I have been little dissapointed like you. I am sure that most all of our fans will be pumped up for the play off game on Saturday. Good point.

Haiku_Dirtt
12-31-2007, 02:46 PM
Personally, I'll take snow/blizzard over the weather that I've encountered at just about every home game this season. It's been miserable.

It's one thing to be cold. Quite another to be cold with driving rain in your face like the walk to the MNF Ravens game. For the half dozen games I've gone to at Heinz the last few years the crowd noise level correlated with the drop in temperature for sure.

Something that seems to really annoy me is that the PA soundtrack overwhelmingly drowns out the crowd. Also the long commercial breaks damper the excitement. Really. How many people at Heinz have the vocal chords to wail that long?

83-Steelers-43
12-31-2007, 02:51 PM
It's one thing to be cold. Quite another to be cold with driving rain in your face like the walk to the MNF Ravens game. For the half dozen games I've gone to at Heinz the last few years the crowd noise level correlated with the drop in temperature for sure.

Something that seems to really annoy me is that the PA soundtrack overwhelmingly drowns out the crowd. Also the long commercial breaks damper the excitement. Really. How many people at Heinz have the vocal chords to wail that long?

It's definatley a combination of reasons. The PA track. Commerical breaks. The open stadium. But this season I felt it was the weather more than anything else. It's pretty damn loud in there every season when you take into consideration the reasons you mentioned in your above post, but it seems like every single regular season home game this year it has been cold, windy and very damp. Example, I couldn't count how many people I saw during our last home game simply sitting still while wrapped up in blankets because they did not want to move or expose themselves.

Like I said, it's a little different when you reside in a hot state or are sitting in a warm house or bar.

eafratitpm3
12-31-2007, 03:34 PM
I think it has to do with all these season ticket holders, their too spoiled. There shouldn't be a fans sitting down the whole game Saturday night. Heinz should be rocking. I went to the AFC Championship game in Denver two years ago and I think I sat down for 5 minutes the whole game. I challenge every so called Steeler fan that is going to the game this saturday night to encourage other fans in the Stadium to stand up and cheer as loud as you can on every defesive play.

eafratitpm3
12-31-2007, 03:39 PM
It's definatley a combination of reasons. The PA track. Commerical breaks. The open stadium. But this season I felt it was the weather more than anything else. It's pretty damn loud in there every season when you take into consideration the reasons you mentioned in your above post, but it seems like every single regular season home game this year it has been cold, windy and very damp. Example, I couldn't count how many people I saw during our last home game simply sitting still while wrapped up in blankets because they did not want to move or expose themselves.

Like I said, it's a little different when you reside in a hot state or are sitting in a warm house or bar.

I don't mean to be harsh but all that is BS, if you are a true fan the atmosphere alone should keep you warm. There are thousands and thousands of Steeler fans out there that would give their left **T to be at the game but for one reason or another are not able to get tickets or are from out of town. STEELER NATION is everywhere and it is disheartening to see our home fans just sitting in their seats. GO STEELERS!

Rhee Rhee
12-31-2007, 03:40 PM
no man the way the stadium is built... seahawks is frikin loud cause its round and enclosed enough so that its like a surround sound system... heinz field is so open that the planes in the sky are louder than the fans

HometownGal
12-31-2007, 04:33 PM
I'm sure the weather has something to do with some fans abandoning their seats to get out of the elements, but back in the day at TRS, I sat through some blinding snowstorms (when Pittsburgh used to get snow), 10-20 degree weather, freezing rain and such heavy downpours, I had to look down to see if my feet had webbed yet. We sat in Section 646 and had part of the overhang above us, and when that wind was blowing, it wasn't pleasant but we just toughed it out and screamed our lungs out from the time the players came out of the tunnel until the last sec ticked off that game clock whether the Steelers were ahead or behind. The intensity in that stadium was incredible and the noise level was defeaning! Damn - I miss those days. :thumbsup:

Different era - different type of fans back then. Going to a Steelers game wasn't all about getting the drunk on - it was about cheering for your team from start to finish, no matter what the outcome.

NJarhead
12-31-2007, 04:40 PM
New stadiums = higher ticket prices = loss of Joe Six Pack.

Jeremy = good point.

eafratitpm3
12-31-2007, 05:52 PM
I'm sure the weather has something to do with some fans abandoning their seats to get out of the elements, but back in the day at TRS, I sat through some blinding snowstorms (when Pittsburgh used to get snow), 10-20 degree weather, freezing rain and such heavy downpours, I had to look down to see if my feet had webbed yet. We sat in Section 646 and had part of the overhang above us, and when that wind was blowing, it wasn't pleasant but we just toughed it out and screamed our lungs out from the time the players came out of the tunnel until the last sec ticked off that game clock whether the Steelers were ahead or behind. The intensity in that stadium was incredible and the noise level was defeaning! Damn - I miss those days. :thumbsup:

Different era - different type of fans back then. Going to a Steelers game wasn't all about getting the drunk on - it was about cheering for your team from start to finish, no matter what the outcome.

I applaud you Hometown Gal! The steelers fans of today are soft fair weathered fans, there are very few fans of your caliber these days! The die hard blue collar fan is seldom seen these days.

83-Steelers-43
12-31-2007, 08:09 PM
I don't mean to be harsh but all that is BS, if you are a true fan the atmosphere alone should keep you warm. There are thousands and thousands of Steeler fans out there that would give their left **T to be at the game but for one reason or another are not able to get tickets or are from out of town. STEELER NATION is everywhere and it is disheartening to see our home fans just sitting in their seats. GO STEELERS!

Excellent point......if you are a "true fan", that alone should keep you warm. :thumbsup:

lol, I love it. Wow. Where did all those faithful fans go? I guess they just vanished? lol.

FWIW, I've been going to games since I was four years old and tickets have been in my family before we started winning "all dem Super Bowls". When I'm at a game and I'm freezing my ass off in the high winds and freezing rain, I know I'm not cheering as loud as I am when it's a blizzard out there. I'm sipping a flask and paying close attention to the game. I guess I'm just not a diehard. I guess I just like spending the money for the hell of it....lol. Oh well. Maybe someday I will live up to the "standards". Pray for me please...lol. Gotta love the high and mighty...:yawn:

Eh screw it. That's right. Having absolutely shitty weather for every home game this year has nothing to do with it (or an open stadium, unlike TR). We just have those damn yuppies...lol.

RoethlisBURGHer
12-31-2007, 10:41 PM
I went to the game in Cleveland in 2006. It was colt, wet, and we were losing most of the damn game. I was loud and waving my Terrible Towel the entire game (and really pissing off the Browns fans around me!).

But a big part of the problem is the arcitechture of Heinz Field. Heinz Field has that open endzone which lets all the noise escape it. TRS was a huge bowl stadium that just let the noise leven build up.

randy06
12-31-2007, 11:05 PM
well i have always been a steelers fan here in cowboy land (texas) and i will be going to heinz field this sat. for the first time i look forward to losing my voice and showing my pride

eafratitpm3
12-31-2007, 11:08 PM
Have a great time Randy06 and get those lazy ass fans up on there feet for all of Steeler Nation that cannot be there. We will be cheering loud here in Colorado.

ChronoCross
01-01-2008, 01:39 AM
You have to look like others have said at the design of the stadium. The design alone can change how much sound is really heard. The design of are stadium alone takes the fans presents out of the game far as noise goes. It would take 110 thousand fans in a stadium design like Heinz field to even be heard to make a difference. Are for say are own 12 man. So you can thank who ever designed Heinz Field.

eafratitpm3
01-01-2008, 01:47 AM
I don't think the design of the Field has anything to do with the fans sitting on there asses the whole game.

Steel Pit
01-01-2008, 04:30 AM

Right on HometownGal, I used to love the atmosphere at Three Rivers Stadium. Since the opening of Heinz Field, I've made the 3 1/2 trip only a few times as opposed to damn near every game at Three Rivers.

It's just not the same anymore, I'm no fan of Heinz Field.

83-Steelers-43
01-01-2008, 10:15 AM
You have to look like others have said at the design of the stadium. The design alone can change how much sound is really heard. The design of are stadium alone takes the fans presents out of the game far as noise goes. It would take 110 thousand fans in a stadium design like Heinz field to even be heard to make a difference. Are for say are own 12 man. So you can thank who ever designed Heinz Field.

Open endzone definately does not help. Going from TR to HF is a drastic change when it comes to architecture and it doesn't take an architect to figure that out. I strongly doubt it has anything to do with the actual fans. A good number of people who had season tickets at TR still have them at HF (at least in my section).

On a side note, the way I look at it overall, not everybody who attends football games cheer for four quarters straight. Some people simply enjoy going and watching the game. It's their money, who am I to tell them how they should act or make the assumption that they are not "true fans" simply because they choose not to cheer for the whole damn game? They are at the game, enjoying themselves and supporting the Steelers.

HometownGal
01-01-2008, 10:38 AM
Right on HometownGal, I used to love the atmosphere at Three Rivers Stadium. Since the opening of Heinz Field, I've made the 3 1/2 trip only a few times as opposed to damn near every game at Three Rivers.

It's just not the same anymore, I'm no fan of Heinz Field.

I'm not a huge fan of HF either, Pit, but it is the new home of the team I love, so I suffer through it - LOL! :cheers:

The circular shape and closed structure of TRS definitely played a part in the noise level in there, but I still maintain that the intensity just isn't the same with the fans at HF as it was at TRS - at least not the multitude of games I've attended at both stadiums. As 83 so correctly points out above, however, the fans pay good money to support their team and if they wish to sit on their hands and not be as vocal as other fans, that's their right.

shevdog
01-01-2008, 08:04 PM
Good observation about the weak yuppy fans at the game. No mater what, you'll have traffic in the burgh. I have been going to 1 game a year since 2005. I make a day out of the game. I stay from kick off to the end of regulation. Tickets are not cheap. Heck, I hear people complain that $65-85 for Eagles tickets is pricey. And when I tell them how much I pay, they know what kind of fan I am. So I will stay for the whole game and not be a yuppie!

Preacher
01-01-2008, 08:43 PM
I have noticed empty seats many times myself... and have asked why.

I think the reason is because Steelers tickets are always desired. Thus, families that have moved away keep their season tickets. They then sell the book of tickets, or individual tickets online. Not all those tickets will be used, because they are resold for hundreds of dollars online.

However, the season ticket holder can afford to have a couple games not sell, because they are selling the other games (6) for 200 to 300 dollars, that is 12 to 1800 dollars for the tickets.

I wonder... IF all season ticket holders had to prove locality.. what would change in the stadium.

beSteelmyheart
01-01-2008, 10:18 PM
I hear ya! I live in central Florida(from Vandergrift, PA)& would love nothing more than to paint my face, scream my head off & freeze my butt off for the Steelers at home! If more people like me were fortunate enough to be at that playoff game, we'd show the yuppies how to party, Steelers style! :banana:

nojobny
01-01-2008, 10:43 PM
I have noticed empty seats many times myself... and have asked why.

I think the reason is because Steelers tickets are always desired. Thus, families that have moved away keep their season tickets. They then sell the book of tickets, or individual tickets online. Not all those tickets will be used, because they are resold for hundreds of dollars online.

However, the season ticket holder can afford to have a couple games not sell, because they are selling the other games (6) for 200 to 300 dollars, that is 12 to 1800 dollars for the tickets.

I wonder... IF all season ticket holders had to prove locality.. what would change in the stadium.

You can't make a generalized statement like that. Not every season ticket holder is from Pittsburgh. I am a born & raised New Yorker. I've been a Steelers fan for over 30 years and I waited a long time for my season tickets.

Not to mention I spend waaaay more than a local fan does to support the Steelers (gas, airfare, hotels, tolls, car rentals). You should see the number of people at the airport on game day, the Steelers have a lot of long distance fans, so trust me when I say if they were to changed the rules, they'd lose a lot of money.

Also, whenever a lot of people leave their seats, what you don't see is many of them are watching the game in the Great hall or by the concession stands. The areas are lined with tv plus there's easier access to the beer. So you may think that the fans have left but I can assure you that many of them are still there.

bozz723
01-01-2008, 10:58 PM
I just think heinz field is so poorly designed that it cannot properly accommodate the proper sound.

Three rivers was all steel and in closed, it was awesome to hear the noise in there.

Heinz Field sucks so bad

Preacher
01-01-2008, 10:59 PM
You can't make a generalized statement like that. Not every season ticket holder is from Pittsburgh. I am a born & raised New Yorker. I've been a Steelers fan for over 30 years and I waited a long time for my season tickets.

Not to mention I spend waaaay more than a local fan does to support the Steelers (gas, airfare, hotels, tolls, car rentals). You should see the number of people at the airport on game day, the Steelers have a lot of long distance fans, so trust me when I say if they were to changed the rules, they'd lose a lot of money.

Also, whenever a lot of people leave their seats, what you don't see is many of them are watching the game in the Great hall or by the concession stands. The areas are lined with tv plus there's easier access to the beer. So you may think that the fans have left but I can assure you that many of them are still there.

Do you sell or use every ticket? Do you think everyone sells or use every ticket? When I was at the game... and now as I look at the seats watching the game on TV, I continue to notice how empty it really is. Why? My guess, again, is that many people have left Pittsburgh, but kept their season tickets. I don't think fans from outside Pittsburgh are any less rabid... I sure am not.

Am I wrong? There is a good chance... Hey, I am married, I am used to be wrong.

83-Steelers-43
01-01-2008, 11:21 PM

DIng! Ding! Ding!

Steel Pit
01-02-2008, 12:29 AM

I agree with this post, I know that once I break the "recycled alcohol release seal", I will usually hang out within 50 yards of a urinal. I know that a lot of folks hang out in the designated smoking areas as well.

nojobny
01-02-2008, 12:33 AM
Do you sell or use every ticket? Do you think everyone sells or use every ticket?

Generally yes. I sometimes don't go to the pre-season games but that doesn't really count. I couldn't go to open day this year because of a mandatory work commitment. But this year I've got the JetBlue schedule memorized and the rental car agent knows me by first name.

When I was at the game... and now as I look at the seats watching the game on TV, I continue to notice how empty it really is. Why?

Because the cameras don't come up to the nosebleed seat where the die hard fans are or they don't show the concession areas. I'm telling you, many times during the last quarter, I walk down and watch the end of the game on the ground level near Gate A under the scoreboard and I am not alone. And the Great hall is always packed towards the end of a game. Next time you watch the game, when they do the long shots of the stadium, notice how full it is at the top or along the ramps.

nojobny
01-02-2008, 12:39 AM
the "recycled alcohol release seal"

OMG.. you are so dead on right about that! :chug:

stlrtruck
01-02-2008, 09:46 AM
i think the fact that the stadium is so open plays a huge role why it is so quiet.

I agree, after attending several game at TRS and HF, the open end does not do us any favors. I don't know why they put that open end there anyway. I mean really, who wants to see dahntahn during the game? What some rich idiot or corporate executive in the luxury boxes?

To hell with that, it's time for the Rooney's to suck it up and close off the south end of the stadium!!!

Mosca
01-02-2008, 09:59 AM
I would like to point out that people were making this complaint in the '80s, saying that the fan base was spoiled by all those wins in the '70s.

83-Steelers-43
01-02-2008, 10:40 AM
I didn't notice any Yuppies.

Glad to know I'm not the only one. I keep hearing about "dem Yuppies takin' over Heinz Field", yet I never see them at the games. Normally they are hard working people letting loose on Sunday's to watch the greatest sports franchise on the planet.

OHHHHHHHH WAIT!!!!

Now that I think of it, I believe there is an underground yuppy conspiracy in Pittsburgh.

Mission: To take over Heinz Field.

I see markings all over the city...............

http://25frames.org/media/screens/1199.jpg "GET OUT OF MY CHAIR!!!!!"

Dino 6 Rings
01-02-2008, 12:13 PM
By yuppies, do you mean people with Jobs?

seriously...here's the deal. If you are at the game, and are a steelers fan, scream your bloody head off for your team, keep it clean, if possible and chant "Defense" really loud on 3rd downs. That's it. Have Class, don't fight the other team's fans, if there are any, which, I don't anticipate too many Jags fans since they can't even sell out home games at their own stadium, and bleed black and gold. If you don't, sell your ticket to a yuppie who is letting lose on a Sunday and screaming his bloody head off.

Lord Stiller
01-02-2008, 02:29 PM

No, its the people who sit there and talk about other stuff besides the game, get mad at people yelling and leave near the end of the 3rd quarter

83-Steelers-43
01-02-2008, 04:32 PM

seriously...here's the deal. If you are at the game, and are a steelers fan, scream your bloody head off for your team, keep it clean, if possible and chant "Defense" really loud on 3rd downs. That's it. Have Class, don't fight the other team's fans, if there are any, which, I don't anticipate too many Jags fans since they can't even sell out home games at their own stadium, and bleed black and gold. If you don't, sell your ticket to a yuppie who is letting lose on a Sunday and screaming his bloody head off.

Odd though, we lost one home game all year long. Tomlin praises the home fans every chance he gets. I keep hearing the talking heads stating "it's never easy to play in Pittsburgh".

I guess we must be doing something right. :coffee:

Dino 6 Rings
01-02-2008, 04:35 PM
7-1 home record...must be so much fun for visiting teams.

HERE WE GO STEELERS HERE WE GO!!!

Lord Stiller
01-02-2008, 05:43 PM
Put it this way if we are down 14+ going into the 4th quarter, more than half of the stadium will leave

THAT IS PATHETIC AND MAKES ME SICK

This is a fact, i have witnessed it twice. The '05 AFC Champ. game loss to NE and the wilcard comeback win vs the Browns 30k people missed while driving home

atlsteelers
01-03-2008, 11:43 AM
I go to a game almost every year - fly up from atlanta and stay at the holiday inn express. I have never been to my seat at any game. I stand at the end open of the endzone. If you get there 30 to 45 minutes before kickoff you can get to right up to the railing. people are nuts around there. Its great, it makes sense for us because we get single tickets from all different areas, that way all us of can raise heck together. We went to the seahawks game this past year.

atlsteelers
01-03-2008, 11:48 AM
another point i would like to make is, that at away games i think all of the steeler fans that show up make the remaining home teams fans alot louder. the ga dome was rocking two years ago. i probally ticked off a few hundred falcon fans myself, i have never seen them so fired up.

Dino 6 Rings
01-03-2008, 11:51 AM
Great Avatar atlsteelers. Steal this face!

I like it!

as for fans, Steelers tickets are a family tradition, and the waiting list is very long and they are hard to get. This means, that a lot of "old timers" are at these games, and sorry to say, but as you age, sitting in the cold just ain't the same when you're in your 20s. So I'd guess, 1/2 those people leaving are people who's bones are just a little colder than the rest. Not every fan can be in their 20s - 40s and comfortable in sleet, rain, snow, and cold wind. It is what it is.

83-Steelers-43
01-03-2008, 12:35 PM
I have never been to my seat at any game. I stand at the end open of the endzone.

Another good point.

A good number of fans (including ourselves) like to get up and stand near the ramps overlooking the field or in the back of the endzone. At half time we normally grab a beer and a dog, head over to the East Ramp and watch the game for a quarter. Then halfway through the third or at the beginning of the fourth we head back to our seats.

Not everybody enjoys sitting in one place for three and a half hours (in bad or good weather). Eitherway, I still stand by the fact that we have lost one home game all season long, Tomlin loves the fans at Heinz Field and I'm always hearing about how hard it is to play at Heinz Field. That's all it boils down to in my book.

Lord Stiller
01-03-2008, 12:59 PM
I go to a game almost every year - fly up from atlanta and stay at the holiday inn express. I have never been to my seat at any game. I stand at the end open of the endzone.

NICE!!!!

I have been standing on the rotunda for the last 4 years and it is the best atmosphere by far IMO