PDA

View Full Version : BILLICK canned!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Lord Stiller
12-31-2007, 01:49 PM
http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/7621108?MSNHPHMA

jjpro11
12-31-2007, 01:53 PM
damn.. i was just starting to like him. :smile:

The Patriot
12-31-2007, 01:53 PM
What a shocker!!!

ShutDown24
12-31-2007, 01:54 PM
Lol, the guy needs to go back to OC... Or would it be DC now? *shrugs*

steelpride12
12-31-2007, 01:55 PM
Ha boy after reading that i learned one thing........i don't care ha! :)

STEELtownHAVOX
12-31-2007, 01:57 PM
only took them 9 years

Jeremy
12-31-2007, 02:00 PM
Very bad decision. Look for him to resurface somewhere very soon.

Lord Stiller
12-31-2007, 02:09 PM
Very bad decision .

Depends on who they hire to replace him but you are probably right because there arent any good replacements i can think of

Look for him to resurface somewhere very soon.

Maybe Atlanta. I could see a team hiring him yo be HC but it would be stupid to hire him as an offensive coordinator

HometownGal
12-31-2007, 02:11 PM
I know I'll probably catch hell for this, but I've never had a problem with Billick, other than his arrogant, smug attitude at times. I always thought he was a half decent HC and I don't believe their failures the past few years have been all attributable to his coaching abilities. The Rats are an aging team like another team I know and the Rats need a LOT of help in the offseason starting with dumping both Boller and McNair and going with Troy Smith who was VERY impressive yesterday.

Billick will land an OC or possibly a HC position with another NFL team - you can bet the farm on that.

Jeremy
12-31-2007, 02:13 PM
Depends on who they hire to replace him but you are probably right because there arent any good replacements i can think of

Maybe Atlanta. I could see a team hiring him yo be HC but it would be stupid to hire him as an offensive coordinator

Russ Grimm is probably the hottest candidate out there right now, but I'm not sure he's going to be interested in the Baltimore job. Plus Grimm seems pretty happy out here in the Desert.

Atlanta will probably be very interested. Plus I expect 2-3 more jobs to open up including Miami before all is said and done.

83-Steelers-43
12-31-2007, 02:24 PM
only took them 9 years

Not exactly shocking news for me. Not after the season they just had.

IMO, I think the players got tired of his voice/shtick and needed a change (sound familiar?). Whether or not it's the right decision remains to be seen. Only time will tell. Many did not feel there were a good number of choices out there when we needed a new HC and we ended up hiring some DC from Minnesota named Mike Tomlin. That seems to be working out pretty well up to this point.

Sorry to see the "offensive genius" get fired.

touchdownward
12-31-2007, 02:28 PM
I think Billick did a very good job at Baltimore, but, according to the article, he lost the respect of his team.
That hammers the final nail in the toughest of coffins.

83-Steelers-43
12-31-2007, 02:31 PM
but, according to the article, he lost the respect of his team.

I think that was made very apparent way before this article was even written. If I recall correctly he was called out on a few occasions by his own players this season, Ray Lewis being one of them.

touchdownward
12-31-2007, 02:36 PM
I think that was made very apparent way before this article was even written. If I recall correctly he was called out on a few occasions by his own players this season, Ray Lewis being one of them.

Yep, it seems I heard about that right before mid-season.

silver & black
12-31-2007, 02:41 PM
Russ Grimm is probably the hottest candidate out there right now, but I'm not sure he's going to be interested in the Baltimore job. Plus Grimm seems pretty happy out here in the Desert.

Atlanta will probably be very interested. Plus I expect 2-3 more jobs to open up including Miami before all is said and done.

I would disagree with that. I would say Shottenheimer is the hottest candidate. I don't know if he would be interested in that job, but I think he would do well there.

83-Steelers-43
12-31-2007, 02:45 PM
Yep, it seems I heard about that right before mid-season.

You were spot on about the nail in the coffin. You can have the best HC in the league, but as long as the players have a lack of respect for you and are getting tired of the same old song and dance that you are 'attempting' to put out there every Sunday you might as well have the worst HC in the league.

While the players do not necessarily have to love you, they do have to respect you. From all indications, that does not seem to be the case in Baltimore with the "offensive genius".

BlastFurnace
12-31-2007, 03:10 PM
I know I'll probably catch hell for this, but I've never had a problem with Billick, other than his arrogant, smug attitude at times. I always thought he was a half decent HC and I don't believe their failures the past few years have been all attributable to his coaching abilities. The Rats are an aging team like another team I know and the Rats need a LOT of help in the offseason starting with dumping both Boller and McNair and going with Troy Smith who was VERY impressive yesterday.

Billick will land an OC or possibly a HC position with another NFL team - you can bet the farm on that.

His press conferences after a loss were always entertaining. I liked him as well.

BlastFurnace
12-31-2007, 03:12 PM
I would disagree with that. I would say Shottenheimer is the hottest candidate. I don't know if he would be interested in that job, but I think he would do well there.

I hope Marty does not go there. Marty can't win in the playoffs, but he builds very good regular season teams that are always very physical...like his step son Bill.

Atlanta Dan
12-31-2007, 03:17 PM
I did not see that coming - now let's see if Marvin makes it to next weekend

The Steelers have major issues but compared to the Bengals and Ravens life is good

fansince'76
12-31-2007, 03:30 PM
Very bad decision.

How so? He was hired on his rep as an "offensive genius" as an OC and in almost a decade's worth of chances, he never fielded an offense that was above average. This was a guy who hitched his wagon to Kyle Boller's star, after all.

SteelCityMan786
12-31-2007, 03:30 PM
Not exactly shocking news for me. Not after the season they just had.

IMO, I think the players got tired of his voice/shtick and needed a change (sound familiar?). Whether or not it's the right decision remains to be seen. Only time will tell. Many did not feel there were a good number of choices out there when we needed a new HC and we ended up hiring some DC from Minnesota named Mike Tomlin. That seems to be working out pretty well up to this point.

Sorry to see the "offensive genius" get fired.

I wonder if he hired a new offensive coordinator. Maybe he could have canned him. Oh wait wasn't that Neuhisel?

Atlanta Dan
12-31-2007, 04:59 PM
It is the "win it now" NFL = Billick got canned a season after going 13-3 but Marty was canned the same season he went 14-2 - give Ravens ownership credit for deciding a rebuild is coming and Billick is not the guy to do it.

Stlrs4Life
12-31-2007, 05:05 PM
No surprise, never liked that ignorant prick anyway.

Edman
12-31-2007, 06:36 PM
I almost feel sorry for Baltimore.

Yeah, they won a Super Bowl in 2000, but they have built some pretty good teams in the 2000's and fielded great and talented D's after that. The Rats suck and I'll always hate them, but you have to admit that their Defenses were nothing to sneeze at. Billick wasted all those years all because he couldn't build a offense or find a franchise QB.

Edman
12-31-2007, 06:38 PM
It is the "win it now" NFL = Billick got canned a season after going 13-3 but Marty was canned the same season he went 14-2 - give Ravens ownership credit for deciding a rebuild is coming and Billick is not the guy to do it.

There's a slight difference.

Marty was canned after 14-2.
Ballick was canned after a disappointing 4-12 season after a playoff choke job in 2006.

Atlanta Dan
12-31-2007, 06:44 PM
There's a slight difference.

Marty was canned after 14-2.
Ballick was canned after a disappointing 4-12 season after a playoff choke job in 2006.

Until recently a 13-3 year + a SB ring usually bought you more than 1 additional year

By the recent Chargers/Ravens standards Cowher would have been gone after 1999

I-Want-Troy's-Hair
12-31-2007, 08:12 PM
:tt02::tt02::tt02::tt02::tt02:

Couldn't have happened to a nicer guy. Buh-buy Brian.

I'm going to miss his lack of upper lip.

MasterOfPuppets
12-31-2007, 08:44 PM
I agree he is the hottest and they will probably make a run at him. I think ray lewis needs to be a Joey Porter type preemptive cut who ever they hire doesn't need him causing trouble in the lockerroomi'm thinkin rex ryan gets the job. if detroit fires martz.....he could be thier OC.

touchdownward
12-31-2007, 09:24 PM
i'm thinkin rex ryan gets the job. if detroit fires martz.....he could be thier OC.

According to a quote I read, Ozzie Newsome said Ryan will get strong consideration, but they would also be calling a lot of other people.

They may want to go the direction we went last season and hire outside the organization. The owner did say he wanted some "new blood".

Godfather
12-31-2007, 09:59 PM
Only suprise here is they gave him a vote of confidence very late in the season, when they already knew it was a disaster.

touchdownward
12-31-2007, 10:21 PM
Only suprise here is they gave him a vote of confidence very late in the season, when they already knew it was a disaster.
I know what you mean Godfather, in baseball that's usually the kiss of death for a manager, but in the NFL they usually mean that the coaches job is actually safe.

Judgeing from some of the ravens blogs I've read, the owner talked with the players as well. If that is true, he talked to them sometime prior to the Steelers game. In an article I read, he said that the decision was already made before kickoff.

MasterOfPuppets
12-31-2007, 11:44 PM
According to a quote I read, Ozzie Newsome said Ryan will get strong consideration, but they would also be calling a lot of other people.

They may want to go the direction we went last season and hire outside the organization. The owner did say he wanted some "new blood".
if the ratbirds don't give him the HC job, someone else will.

RoethlisBURGHer
12-31-2007, 11:54 PM
If they do decide to go "new blood" and hire outside of the orginization, Rex Ryan will not be around in Baltimore next year...he will be a head coach somewhere.

And this sucks, they may hire someone who can actually turn that team into something.

SmashMouthSteelerFan
12-31-2007, 11:59 PM
:dang::dang::dang::dang::dang::dang::dang::dang:

F@$#!!!!!!!!!! What if they get Cowher?????

Rhee Rhee
01-01-2008, 03:29 AM
long overdue... should have fired him before the 2006 season... i realize they went 13-3 but he didnt do anything... so he called a few plays... he got LUCKY everyone does... look at this year... they lost to buffalo because of his dumb play calling

revefsreleets
01-02-2008, 08:54 PM
Maybe all you Arians haters will get your wish fulfilled and we will can Bruce and hire Billick.

Atlanta Dan
01-02-2008, 09:29 PM
Maybe all you Arians haters will get your wish fulfilled and we will can Bruce and hire Billick.

Don't you assume that with his brilliant performance Bruce is right behind Cowher on the wish list of any owner with a HC vacancy and will be leaving on his own after this season?:smile:

I assume Bruce is not listed as a HC candidate on any list I have read only because nobody wants to tip their hand to the media as to who their #1 candidate really is.

revefsreleets
01-02-2008, 09:40 PM
I keed, I keed.

tony hipchest
01-03-2008, 10:02 AM
we should get billick (wr coach) AND randy moss...

rbryan
01-03-2008, 12:16 PM
Ballick is a douchebag no doubt, but the Ravens are doomed no matter who they bring in as long as the FO is more worried about keeping Ray Ray happy than what the HC has to say.

Lewis could play till he's 48 and still lead the Ravens in tackles the way they count in Baltimore.

Jeremy
01-03-2008, 12:22 PM
Call me crazy, but this could be the perfect spot for Pete Carroll to come back to the NFL and finish off his coaching career.

We all make fun of the Ravens for their horrible season, but I think we all know that injuries played a huge role in their downfall. Once they're healthy, they'll be right back among the better teams in the NFL. If they can find a quarterback (and I'm not convinced that Troy Smith couldn't be that guy) they could be a very dangerous team next season. All PC would have to do is put the pieces back together.

Atlanta Dan
01-03-2008, 01:11 PM
Call me crazy, but this could be the perfect spot for Pete Carroll to come back to the NFL and finish off his coaching career.

We all make fun of the Ravens for their horrible season, but I think we all know that injuries played a huge role in their downfall.

I said preseason the weakness of that team was having key players (McNair, Lewis, Ogden) that were at the end of the line - old players break down.

That has not changed - Phil Simms yammered on Sunday about all the talent on the roster when healthy, but this is an old team ready for a tear down, not just a team with the injury bug ths season.

I think Pete Carroll is quite happy in a situation where an off year is a blowout win in the Rose Bowl rather than playing in the BCS championship..

Jeremy
01-03-2008, 01:15 PM
I said preseason the weakness of that team was having key players (McNair, Lewis, Ogden) that were at the end of the line - old players break down.

That has not changed - Phil Simms yammered on Sunday about all the talent on the roster when healthy, but this is an old team ready for a tear down, not just a team with the injury bug ths season.

I think Pete Carroll is quite happy in a situation where an off year is a blowout win in the Rose Bowl rather than playing in the BCS championship..

Take away those three and there's still a lot of talent on that roster. A good draft and they'll be right back there.

I didn't say it was a perfect opportunity, but we keep hearing rumblings about how PC wants one more chance at the NFL.

Atlanta Dan
01-03-2008, 05:13 PM
Take away those three and there's still a lot of talent on that roster. A good draft and they'll be right back there.

I didn't say it was a perfect opportunity, but we keep hearing rumblings about how PC wants one more chance at the NFL.

But given the recent sorry history of Butch Davis, Spurrier and Petrino does the NFL want one more chance at Pete Carroll?

He may be a competitor, but southern California, adoring alums, and the USC Song Girls seem to me to provide a more congenial working atmosphere than Baltimore.:smile:

memphissteelergirl
01-03-2008, 05:22 PM
But given the recent sorry history of Butch Davis, Spurrier and Petrino does the NFL want one more chance at Pete Carroll?

He may be a competitor, but southern California, adoring alums, and the USC Song Girls seem to me to provide a more congenial working atmosphere than Baltimore.:smile:

Ya got that right! Carroll's got a plum job-NO WAY he leaves SC, IMO!

Glace
01-03-2008, 06:51 PM
So they just reported on Savran on Sportsbeat that the Ravens are actively pursuing Bill Cowher.....

Bill......NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!

Atlanta Dan
01-03-2008, 08:12 PM
So they just reported on Savran on Sportsbeat that the Ravens are actively pursuing Bill Cowher.....

Bill......NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!

He may be letting that story circulate in case Cleveland or the Giants want to call

I think he sits another year but certain jobs might open up earlier.

lamberts-lost-tooth
01-04-2008, 06:48 AM
How long before Miami gives Billick a call???