PDA

View Full Version : Willie Reid= Another Santonio or another bust?

Edman
12-31-2007, 05:50 PM
I remember a certain Santonio Holmes having issues as a return man. But is doing just fine as a Wide Reciever.

I hope Willie Ried is the same way, horrible returner, but has potential at WR. But that 1st year injury and inability to supplant Cedrick Wilson doesn't inspire much confidence.

tony hipchest
12-31-2007, 05:52 PM
he sure had a "deer in headlights" look returning the ball yesterday. even during holmes problems i dont remember that look.

he looks like a kicker we put back there to return the ball.

ShutDown24
12-31-2007, 05:58 PM
I remember a certain Santonio Holmes having issues as a return man. But is doing just fine as a Wide Reciever.

I hope Willie Ried is the same way, horrible returner, but has potential at WR. But that 1st year injury and inability to supplant Cedrick Wilson doesn't inspire much confidence.

They drafted him to be a kick returner, not a receiver - That is the problem. That can change of course, but I remember that years post-draft comments including that indication.

fansince'76
12-31-2007, 06:02 PM
He's as good as gone next year, IMO.

19ward86
12-31-2007, 06:08 PM
this kid was a great return man in college and a big time reciever, everyone needs to remember he was drafted in the 3rd round not in the 6th or 7th, he has potential.

Atlanta Dan
12-31-2007, 06:20 PM
this kid was a great return man in college and a big time reciever, everyone needs to remember he was drafted in the 3rd round not in the 6th or 7th, he has potential.

He was injured his first year - handed the return job and handed it back in camp - given a chance to show his stuff when it could not hurt in a meaningless game and blew it - he is gone

BlastFurnace
12-31-2007, 06:46 PM
He was injured his first year - handed the return job and handed it back in camp - given a chance to show his stuff when it could not hurt in a meaningless game and blew it - he is gone

This wasn't the first time we have seen the deer in the headlights and lack of burst from him. It was evident in the pre-season.

JackHammer
12-31-2007, 06:48 PM

I think he'll at least be in training camp next season. That will be his last chance though IMHO. If he doesn't have a great camp, he'll be gone before the season starts.

MasterOfPuppets
12-31-2007, 07:28 PM
he has potential
sure he does.... THE POTENTIAL TO BE CUT !!!! :sofunny:

Preacher
12-31-2007, 07:41 PM
I agree...

there is no reason to not bring him into camp and take a look at him.

BlastFurnace
12-31-2007, 08:23 PM
He has shown decent hands as a receiver. I'd atleast bring him in and soley try to develop him as a receiver. He's not a returner, plain and simple.

19ward86
12-31-2007, 09:46 PM
he could be the next hines ward, hines was a great return man in college and returned a little bit for the steelers and now look where he is.

Rhee Rhee
12-31-2007, 09:50 PM
get 'em out! maybe a certain reciever named early doucet would help with more depth at reciever... just sayin..

stillers4me
12-31-2007, 09:50 PM
I think we've wasted a roster spot long enough on him.

Mosca
12-31-2007, 10:04 PM
Yeah, I think he's gone. The game tape is his resume, and it says, "Not NFL quality". If he was going to be really good, he would have shown it by now.

I hope he studied in college.

Dynasty
01-01-2008, 12:03 AM
get 'em out! maybe a certain reciever named early doucet would help with more depth at reciever... just sayin..

Yeah but Doucet is a projected 1st rounder (I think) and if u think WR depth is more imortant than O line your nuts!

zoneblitz43
01-01-2008, 12:27 AM
It's a shame, I met Willie Reid last year and he is a good guy, one of the nicest pro athletes I have ever met. As a NFL player he sucks. I had high expectations for this guy.

Galax Steeler
01-01-2008, 07:21 AM
I'd say he is gone next year we can use his roster spot on somebody else.

steelersfanman92
01-01-2008, 11:35 AM
yea especially after fumbling twice in th eravens game

Borski
01-01-2008, 11:46 AM
I think the guy had a bad showing, I'd say let him in camp and give him a good amount of playing time in the preseason to attempt to redeem himself.

Stlrs4Life
01-01-2008, 01:09 PM
He can pack his bags as far as I'm concerned. I don't even want to see him on the field sat nite. Another FSU bust, nothing new.

Atlanta Dan
01-01-2008, 01:15 PM
He can pack his bags as far as I'm concerned. I don't even want to see him on the field sat nite. Another FSU bust, nothing new.

If Rossum cannot go, Reid probably will be on kickoff returns with Davenport Saturday night.

I guess Reid comes to camp, but since he will not be the return man I question if you waste putting him in as a returner in preseason since it will not be Reid in the regular season. No way he makes the roster next September.

Jeremy
01-01-2008, 01:17 PM
If Rossum cannot go, Reid probably will be on kickoff returns with Davenport Saturday night.

I guess Reid comes to camp, but since he will not be the return man I question if you waste putting him in as a returner in preseason since it will not be Reid in the regular season. No way he makes the roster next September.

Unless Pittsburgh decides to draft a wide receiver, or they try and pick someone up via free agency, Reid will probably be on the opening day roster next fall. It's just numbers and right now the Steelers don't have great numbers are wide receiver.

Atlanta Dan
01-01-2008, 01:29 PM
Unless Pittsburgh decides to draft a wide receiver, or they try and pick someone up via free agency, Reid will probably be on the opening day roster next fall. It's just numbers and right now the Steelers don't have great numbers are wide receiver.

Unless Wilson or Ward go for cap reasons Reid is the #5 receiver going into the offseason - IMO that is about as tenuous as it gets

Jeremy
01-01-2008, 01:35 PM
Unless Wilson or Ward go for cap reasons Reid is the #5 receiver going into the offseason - IMO that is about as tenuous as it gets

Ward isn't going anywhere. But IMHO, the difference between Wilson and Reid isn't as vast as some people seem to think.

BlastFurnace
01-01-2008, 01:49 PM
Ward isn't going anywhere. But IMHO, the difference between Wilson and Reid isn't as vast as some people seem to think.

All I know is when Wilson is in the game and it thrown to..he makes plays and rarely drops the ball.

I don't know why people hate Wilson so bad. He's a good receiver.

Preacher
01-01-2008, 02:22 PM
My feeling...

Reid will be brought into camp, and given a chance to prove himself as wide receiver.

If he can't beat out another receiver for a position, he will be gone. His time as a kick returner is over as of the end of this year.

Just my opinion!

Mosca
01-01-2008, 02:31 PM
Of course he'll be in camp. He just won't be in camp when it's over.

Like I said, if he was going to be really good, this is the year we would have found out. Running every play into the end zone during training camp might get you onto the team once, but not twice.

Atlanta Dan
01-01-2008, 02:48 PM

I agree Ward is in all probability is not going anywhere (but I bet his contract will need to be reworked and Ward might dig in on that) so that does not help Reid

Tomlin seems to think there is a difference with Reid & Wilson - Reid was to be the return guy in camp and Wilson apparently will be handling those duties if Rossum sits on Saturday, so it seems Tomlin has given up on Reid on returns, which would be a point in his favor over Wilson.

TheManOfSteel
01-01-2008, 03:09 PM
:banging: Nate Washington is the next Holmes. :banging:

GBMelBlount
01-01-2008, 05:57 PM
My feeling...

Reid will be brought into camp, and given a chance to prove himself as wide receiver.

If he can't beat out another receiver for a position, he will be gone. His time as a kick returner is over as of the end of this year.

Just my opinion!

I agree. I am still pulling for Reid but time is running out.

Dino 6 Rings
01-01-2008, 07:13 PM
I don't think Ried makes it through next pre-season. I was excited about having him on the roster as a potential big play maker on special teams, but he just isn't developing. Maybe we can afford another year to bring him along, but I can't be sure that Tomlin will have the patience for that, and in fact, bringing in Rossum kind of hinted at his "disappointment" with Ried in the pre-season.

lilyoder6
01-01-2008, 07:16 PM
i hope as well that he could be a good WR... he could be a good 3 or 4 with the speed he has.. but the future will only tell his place

HometownGal
01-01-2008, 07:41 PM
I'm all for giving Reid a chance in camp next season as a wideout. Returning kickoffs apparently isn't his life's calling. Hey - if he gets beat out in TC - that's the way the cookie crumbles.

DACEB
01-02-2008, 06:31 AM
I hate to say this, but as it turns out BOTH Reid and Rossum are a waste of spots that should have gone to a players that could have contributed MUCH, MUCH more.

How about we go after that guy in Washington, what's his name??

steelpride12
01-02-2008, 07:58 AM
I don't think Reid is a great WR like Holmes is so far, but he will prob. get another chance at camp next year to be s wide receiver and if he gets beat out then he won't be a Steeler or he will be lucky to make practice squad.

SteelDogFan
01-02-2008, 09:28 AM
Two words, BAD HANDS!
I hope he improves he has great speed.

Counselor
01-02-2008, 09:50 AM
I hate to say this, but as it turns out BOTH Reid and Rossum are a waste of spots that should have gone to a players that could have contributed MUCH, MUCH more.

How about we go after that guy in Washington, what's his name??

Sorry, I think Russum was a huge savior this year. With the fact that we got him at the very end of the preseason---we were lucky to get a guy who was that smart and could handle the ball. Otherwise this season could have been very reminicent of last year. I realize we didn't always get great return yardage----but that could be attributed to the blocking as much as to Rossum himself. He's older, and has probably lost a step or two---but his hands are great, and I for one appreciate what he did this year.

Reid is clearly no returner. I don't know that he is going to make the team as a pure WR, but he will get the chance in camp at least.

lilyoder6
01-02-2008, 10:10 AM
yay, if we had better blocking on returns... rossum would prob hav some better returns.. he is pretty fast.. .. ooo we did sign jeremy bloom to pratice squad maybe he could do something next yr... lol

Jeremy
01-02-2008, 10:19 AM
yay, if we had better blocking on returns... rossum would prob hav some better returns.. he is pretty fast.. .. ooo we did sign jeremy bloom to pratice squad maybe he could do something next yr... lol

Don't laugh at Bloom. The guy has some serious talent and could still make it in the NFL given the right opportunity.

cubanstogie
01-02-2008, 10:36 AM
Don't laugh at Bloom. The guy has some serious talent and could still make it in the NFL given the right opportunity.

your just biased because you like his name. lol. You never know he could be another Steve Tasker, or Wes Welker. It doens't cost us anything and could improve our special teams. anything is worth a try.

Jeremy
01-02-2008, 11:10 AM
your just biased because you like his name. lol. You never know he could be another Steve Tasker, or Wes Welker. It doens't cost us anything and could improve our special teams. anything is worth a try.

I was thinking more along the lines of another Tim Dwight or Dante Hall.

DACEB
01-02-2008, 12:29 PM
Sorry, I think Russum was a huge savior this year. With the fact that we got him at the very end of the preseason---we were lucky to get a guy who was that smart and could handle the ball. Otherwise this season could have been very reminicent of last year. I realize we didn't always get great return yardage----but that could be attributed to the blocking as much as to Rossum himself. He's older, and has probably lost a step or two---but his hands are great, and I for one appreciate what he did this year.

Reid is clearly no returner. I don't know that he is going to make the team as a pure WR, but he will get the chance in camp at least.

Don't get me wrong, I liked that we got Rossum early on for the simple reason we had no one else. As you stated, without Rossum things could have been much worse. It's obvious Tomlin did'nt have faith in Reid as a return man or they never would have gotten Rossum.

I just can't believe that the team did'nt move sooner to get a clear replacement for RandleEl. We are still in need of a return man and slot receiver after two seasons. Meanwhile N.E. goes out and gets Welker, a guy who can do it all at a very high level.

Looking back in hindsight, minus the KO return for a TD, we could have gotten the same production from our return game (punts and kickoffs) with Davenport and Wilson returning. That is why I say we wasted two spots on the roster.

This to me is indicative of a much larger problem. The team needs to do a better job overall drafting with special teams in mind.

Jeremy
01-02-2008, 01:34 PM
Don't get me wrong, I liked that we got Rossum early on for the simple reason we had no one else. As you stated, without Rossum things could have been much worse. It's obvious Tomlin did'nt have faith in Reid as a return man or they never would have gotten Rossum.

I just can't believe that the team did'nt move sooner to get a clear replacement for RandleEl. We are still in need of a return man and slot receiver after two seasons. Meanwhile N.E. goes out and gets Welker, a guy who can do it all at a very high level.

Looking back in hindsight, minus the KO return for a TD, we could have gotten the same production from our return game (punts and kickoffs) with Davenport and Wilson returning. That is why I say we wasted two spots on the roster.

This to me is indicative of a much larger problem. The team needs to do a better job overall drafting with special teams in mind.

The talent gap period is pretty bad right now.

fansince'76
01-02-2008, 01:36 PM

Problem is, when they do that, people still bitch. Remember all the hubbub over Sep being a "wasted pick?"