PDA

View Full Version : Starks is Gone for the Season

83-Steelers-43
01-01-2008, 11:59 AM
Steelers' Starks won't play because of knee injury
Tuesday, January 01, 2008
By Ed Bouchette, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Steelers' starting left tackle Max Starks' knee injury is serious enough that he will not play Saturday against the Jacksonville Jaguars, the Post-Gazette has learned.

Starks is the second left tackle the Steelers have lost. Regular starter Marvel Smith cannot play after having back surgery last week, although he has not yet been placed on injured reserve.

Starks' sprained left knee means that Trai Essex, who played the final three quarters in Baltimore, will start at left tackle Saturday night in the first playoff game at Heinz Field in three years.

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/08001/845874-66.stm

HometownGal
01-01-2008, 12:16 PM
Two little words.

OH SH IT. :dang:

Atlanta Dan
01-01-2008, 12:20 PM
Oh boy:dang:

83-Steelers-43
01-01-2008, 12:32 PM
Paul Alexander just stated that there was a Jason Capizzi sighting at the UPMC complex.

lamberts-lost-tooth
01-01-2008, 12:35 PM
The only thing worse than Starks playing....is Starks not playing.

Atlanta Dan
01-01-2008, 12:38 PM
Paul Alexander just stated that there was a Jason Capizzi sighting at the UPMC complex.

I thought someone signed Capizzi after the Steelers released him.

Jon Kolb and Larry Brown probably will be dropping by later today for a workout

The all time injury hit was losing Franco & Rocky in the Baltimore playoff game 1976 but I cannot recall a recent Steelers team that has been hit with as many injuries to key players (and Starks is a key player at LT) as this one.

Any bets on the over/under for the quarter Ben gets knocked out of the game?

83-Steelers-43
01-01-2008, 12:40 PM

The all time injury hit was losing Franco & Rocky in the Baltimore playoff game 1976 but I cannot recall a recent Steelers team that has been hit with as many injuries to key players (and Starks is a key player at LT) as this one.

He's on the KC practice squad I believe? I don't know, just heard Alexander say he saw him at the UPMC complex. :hunch:

As for Roethlisberger getting taken out of the game.......I do not think he will. Hell, he's lasted this long. He's taken 47 sacks this season, I'm sure 8-10 more this upcoming Saturday won't hurt him...lol.

lamberts-lost-tooth
01-01-2008, 12:48 PM

If this isnt proof positive that OT should be out priority in the first round this next year...I dont know what is.

...and your right, Capizzi is no longer on the practice squad...the only linemen we have on the practice squad are Matt Lentz & Jeremy Parquet.

Hey, Faneca has filled in at LT....the smart move would be to move him there and move Simmons to LG....then Kemo to RG.

Atlanta Dan
01-01-2008, 12:48 PM
Mods - you can change the headline to Starks is gone for the season

Steelers' starting left tackle Max Starks' knee injury is serious enough that he will not play again this season, coach Mike Tomlin said.

Starks has a meniscus injury that will require surgery.

Also, the Steelers will place special teams captain Clint Kriewaldt on injured reserve with a continuing neck injury.

The Steelers will sign two players to replace them on their 53-man roster.

Starks is the second left tackle the Steelers have lost. Regular starter Marvel Smith cannot play after having back surgery last week, although he has not yet been placed on injured reserve.

Starks' left knee injury means that Trai Essex, who played the final three quarters in Baltimore, likely will start at left tackle Saturday night in the first playoff game at Heinz Field in three years.

http://www.postgazette.com/pg/08001/845874-66.stm

I feel bad for Starks but this is just one more hit to a season that already unraveled

OneForTheToe
01-01-2008, 12:50 PM

Amen Brother.

Poor Ben. :dang:

83-Steelers-43
01-01-2008, 12:56 PM
There we go....

Jason Capizzi, the former Pine-Richland High and IUP standout, has been spotted at the Steelers' complex today. Capizzi made it to the final cut with the Steelers during the preseason.

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/s_545413.html

fansince'76
01-01-2008, 01:00 PM
Mods - you can change the headline to Starks is gone for the season

Done. :thumbsup:

Atlanta Dan
01-01-2008, 01:03 PM
Thanks for the link to the Trib-Review update

Other nuggets from the Trib story that indicate how much of a train wreck Saturday night could be are that Ward & Troy will see limited practice this week while Rossum may not go on the returns - Reid is the stated alternative to Davenport on kickoffs with Holmes or Wilson on punt returns

If I am a Jags fan at this point I almost start to worry about overconfidence against a Steelers team the Jags have beaten 3 straight + the last 2 times at Heinz

Tomlin says Ben is fine, which should last through probably the second possession Saturday night

delhess
01-01-2008, 01:18 PM

good one!

jjpro11
01-01-2008, 02:22 PM
this season just gets more frustrating.

ShutDown24
01-01-2008, 03:05 PM
Lets go Essex! :smile: (If you continmue to start.)

Preacher
01-01-2008, 03:12 PM
Funny...

I am almost excited to see this team now.

I love an underdog story... and all these injuries pretty much make us a complete underdog.

OneForTheToe
01-01-2008, 03:20 PM
I'd be interested to see if we resigned Capizzi. It is not that I claim to be able to tell if he is of NFL caliber, but I always liked him anyways. I know that Tunch and Woofley liked his mechanics and both of them know a little about offensive line play.

stillers4me
01-01-2008, 03:32 PM
At least Ben will have until August to recover.

Steeler in Carolina
01-01-2008, 03:33 PM
Things do not look good for this weekend, but I still feel that we will be Jax this weekend. I guess it is just a gut feeling.

Atlanta Dan
01-01-2008, 03:42 PM
Funny...

I am almost excited to see this team now.

I love an underdog story... and all these injuries pretty much make us a complete underdog.

Agreed on it being a game where it will be in some ways a relief just to root like hell - it is 180 degrees difference from the pressure on the Pats

wiz1120
01-01-2008, 04:32 PM
big loss.....

SteelDogFan
01-01-2008, 05:46 PM
Defensive and offensive lines are now both hurting. this is not good, not good at all.

The Duke
01-01-2008, 05:52 PM
big loss.....

:sofunny:

yes, starks is a pretty big man.....oh you mean a big loss for the team, I get ya :smile:

so......this leaves trai essex on the left side. the same guy that replaced Smith in the indy game in 2005 right? I feel for Ben.....

LVSteelersfan
01-01-2008, 06:06 PM
The more injuries we get, the more diehard homer I am going to be. They just need to run the hurry up offense and roll Ben to the side that Essex is not, leave the fullback on that side to block whoever blows past Essex and run the short passing game with Miller, Ward, etc. The long passing game is toast and the Steeler coaches better realize it quick. It doesn't look good going into this game, but I refuse to ever give up and want to be an optmist about it.

BlastFurnace
01-01-2008, 06:28 PM
Well, I guess Max will be affordable after the season now.

There must be a silver lining in this somewhere.

Preacher
01-01-2008, 06:44 PM
The more injuries we get, the more diehard homer I am going to be. They just need to run the hurry up offense and roll Ben to the side that Essex is not, leave the fullback on that side to block whoever blows past Essex and run the short passing game with Miller, Ward, etc. The long passing game is toast and the Steeler coaches better realize it quick. It doesn't look good going into this game, but I refuse to ever give up and want to be an optmist about it.

I am sorry, but I have to say absolutely not.

If we don't put that ball over the top two or three times in the first half, the safeties will step up to defend the short pass/run play. You think blocking will be tough now? Wait until they put 9 in the box and blitz 7 or 8, because there is no fear of a deep ball.

Throw the deep ball to keep the safeties and CB's honest. That will open the pathways for the short passes.

Preacher
01-01-2008, 06:45 PM
Well, I guess Max will be affordable after the season now.

Sadly, that is true. While I am happy that we may be able to sign him for the left side, I hate seeing a person go through that.

BTW... It take about a year for that injury to FULLY heal... to the point where you feel completely stable.

Atlanta Dan
01-01-2008, 06:46 PM

Ben throws better running to his right than left anyhow?

BlastFurnace
01-01-2008, 08:26 PM
Another ray of hope....In a 1998 MNF game against Green Bay, Jamaine Stephens shut down Reggie White for the entire evening. If Jamaine can somehow play the game of his life against the greatest DE that ever lived, Essex may be able to pull something out of the hat and do the same thing.

Yes, I know the events are completely unrelated and separated by 10 years, but....it does show that a scrub offensive lineman is capable of doing great things if they put their mind to it.

augustashark
01-01-2008, 08:44 PM
If this isnt proof positive that OT should be out priority in the first round this next year...I dont know what is.

...and your right, Capizzi is no longer on the practice squad...the only linemen we have on the practice squad are Matt Lentz & Jeremy Parquet.

Hey, Faneca has filled in at LT....the smart move would be to move him there and move Simmons to LG....then Kemo to RG.

Yes he did. He played about half the season there. I think you hit the nail on the head! I truly think its the best way to go.

PisnNapalm
01-01-2008, 08:48 PM
Fark.

AlleghenyArsenal
01-01-2008, 09:49 PM
Just when I was psyched about Max playing. After the way Marvel was getting OWNED by Spicer in the first game, now this. Hopefully, Essex can ball-up and play, because Spicer is a beast. G-Dammit !

Rhee Rhee
01-01-2008, 10:19 PM

ya ok the faneca at LT and simmons and kemo sounds really good right now...

Galax Steeler
01-02-2008, 04:54 AM
It can only get better from here hell half the team is injured.