PDA

View Full Version : Your general feelings heading into the playoffs

jjpro11
01-01-2008, 02:42 PM
i dont live in pittsburgh.. so i cant get a good read on this.. but what is everyones feeling heading into the playoffs? i am led to believe that there isnt near the amount of hope there has been in recent playoff runs.

i hate to admit it myself, but i find myself less enthused than i have ever been heading into the playoffs. there are a number of reasons for this.. poor overall play heading into the playoffs, too many injuries, we recently got destroyed by jacksonville, we recently got destroyed by new england.. i just cant remember a team backing into the playoffs like this and making it to the super bowl. dont get me wrong, im still as excited as i have been all season for saturday.

Jeremy
01-01-2008, 02:47 PM
This is one of those rare spots where I'll suspend my pessimism and answer you.

1. The Steelers did not get destroyed by Jacksonville. They did get destroyed by New England, but they basically shut it down in the second half. Now whether that was a coaching decision or the players just not playing well is a matter of opinion.

2. Injuries will play a role, but not as much as people think. Parker's injury will force some more passing, and that hasn't been a terrible thing in the last couple of seasons.

3. Overall, the play heading in to the playoffs hasn't been as bad as people think. Jacksonville was a close game. NE was what it was. St Louis was a good game. Baltimore was what happens when three of the best players on your team take the day off. Even with Troy, Hines, and Ben sitting on the bench, they almost beat the Rats.

Overall, I think they can beat anyone right now. But anyone can beat them too. It's going to come down to how much Tomlin has matured as a coach and how motivated the players are to finish the season on a high note.

cubanstogie
01-01-2008, 03:07 PM
I don't see how anyone can be all that positive going into playoffs. We have not played well lately, especially defense and special teams, and have a ton of injuries. But we are hosting a playoff game so things could be worse. We could be sitting at home without the excitment of knowing we have atleast one post season game. I am fired up. We are coming off the same kind of loss Jax is. Resting QB and other 1st stringers and losing to inferior team. No advantage there for either team. I highly doubt they run for 260 yds against us again. We have playoff experience and we are at home. I see us winning this game. Lebeau will come up with something to slow the running game. They have no big play receivers and Garrard will dink and dump the ball off. I am not worried about the big play from passing game. So if we can slow the run, I don't think we will stymie them Taylor always has success against us, we should win the game. We can score on them, and I think we need to go for the throat when we are on offense. If we can get ahead we will win. If we do win a big game on Saturday It could give us some much needed momentum and some confidence as well for a battle against the Pats. Any given sunday.

Atlanta Dan
01-01-2008, 03:35 PM
I preface this with the observation that one mark of a very good coach is having your team win a playoff game you are expected to lose (Cowher did not pull that off until 2005), but as someone who has followed the Steelers since the late 1960s I have not had lower expectations going into a playoff game since the 1983 season ended with a blowout loss to the LA Raiders in the 1 year Cliff Stoudt era.

I have some hope of a victory only because the game is at home and Ben is having an excellent season

Steeler in Carolina
01-01-2008, 03:35 PM
I feel we will take Jacksonville down this weekend, but honestly, I don't know if anyone will beat New England.

stillers4me
01-01-2008, 03:39 PM
All I know is I would feel alot better if all our starters were relatively healthy and able to be on the field.

That being said..................................

sleasy_beaver
01-01-2008, 03:55 PM
well I'll tell ya what I think because I'm ****in Drunk Right now... It's been awhile sence I've seen teams run on us like they have in the past few weeks... that is a concern for me.... I feel we can be dangerous on offence...If ben does'nt have to run for his life almost every frickin pass play. I know coach T. Is a laid back calm-type coach. just like knoll and dungy "But"....Those coaches always seem to get thier teams fired up and ready to kill somthing on sundays....This steeler team just seems to go through the motions with a lack-luster preformance.....WITHOUT ANY ****IN EMOTION ...I'm just not used to watching the steelers play like..........The dolphins...... P.S. I spell like we tackle.......Bad & Sloppy

nojobny
01-01-2008, 04:36 PM
I feel we will take Jacksonville down this weekend, but honestly, I don't know if anyone will beat New England.

That's kinda the way I've been feeling. Maybe we can get Kimo back for the playoffs to work on Brady's ACL. :wink02:

stillers4me
01-01-2008, 04:49 PM
That's kinda the way I've been feeling. Maybe we can get Kimo back for the playoffs to work on Brady's ACL. :wink02:

Just have James Harrison poke him in the eye. That's obviously allowed in the NFL.

:hunch:

BlastFurnace
01-01-2008, 04:58 PM
I preface this with the observation that one mark of a very good coach is having your team win a playoff game you are expected to lose (Cowher did not pull that off until 2005), but as someone who has followed the Steelers since the late 1960s I have not had lower expectations going into a playoff game since the 1983 season ended with a blowout loss to the LA Raiders in the 1 year Cliff Stoudt era.

I have some hope of a victory only because the game is at home and Ben is having an excellent season

You said exactly what I am feeling. I have followed this team since 1975-76, and every year, other than 1983 and this season, I had serious hope that this team could catch fire and make a run. We are just too beat up this season to do that. The 1983 team, with Stoudt, Sweeney, Pollard, Wayne Capers, etc.....was perhaps the worst playoff team we have ever fielded. Although...I would take a Frank Pollard on this team to play RB while Willie is out.

This weekend is our Bowl Game if you want to call it that. Whoever wins this weekend will just be a scrimmage for the Patriots. I hate them too, but they have a great team, are fortunate in that they are very healthy, and are hungry to be undefeated.

This season has been fun though.

ShutDown24
01-01-2008, 05:00 PM
We will destroy Jacksonvile.

steelpride12
01-01-2008, 05:37 PM
My sight on the upcoming playoffs is not all great, but not all bad.
I feel JAX cannot come into our house twice and defeat the Steelers, def. not in the Playoffs.
Idk about you, but a playoff game in Pittsburgh is electric and any team thinking they can walk in there and come out with an easy win will be walking away with their heads down. So yes i feel the Steelers will beat the Jags by 3-4 points.
Next game would be against the Pats and we will lose. I always have confidence in the Steeler, but we have had to many key injuries that are slowing us down and its about time to throw in the white towel, heal the injuries and come out next year with the fire in our eyes. Plus our defense a key point to our winning season is on a slump and have show weakness hence there being considered a vanilla defense which is an insult, but sorry to say.....well earned!

Atlanta Dan
01-01-2008, 05:41 PM
Whoever wins this weekend will just be a scrimmage for the Patriots. I hate them too, but they have a great team, are fortunate in that they are very healthy, and are hungry to be undefeated.

This season has been fun though.

Agreed the season has been fun after the no fun 2006

It is probably because I will grasp at any straw in sustaining my hope the Pats lose to someone (even the Cowboys, which indicates the depth of my dislike), but I think the Jags have a better chance than the Colts to win in Foxborough. To beat the Pats (who should be mildly concerned the Giants put up 35) you need bad weather to slow down the passing attack and a power running game that will run clock while not being as impacted as a passing team is by wind & snow. The Jags gave the Colts a close game in Indy & IMO have a better bad weather offense than the Colts.

Have to hold on to anything that might stop 19-0.

SteelDogFan
01-01-2008, 05:44 PM
Your Avatar says it all. If someone on the defensive side of the ball does not stand up and be an emotional spark when the Jags are trying to run the ball down our throats. The Steelers will not win on Saturday.

PalmerSteel
01-01-2008, 06:18 PM
i am disappointed the way we have played the last month. i know we are not playing near the level we were heading in to the playoffs 2 years ago. can it be changed? will be tough, but not impossible. just glad i get to see them play another week at this point......

LVSteelersfan
01-01-2008, 06:18 PM
Steelers will shore up on defense this week, but with Max Starks out now, Ben is going to be lucky to make it through the game. The homer in me wants to say we will kill them, but the realist says we just have too many injuries and we were having problems with the O-line when the starters were in. Arians has to change the offense because long, dropback passes in this game will get Ben killed. It has been a fun season for the most part except we should be playing Tennessee/Indy side of the bracket if we could have won just one of those games against Jets/Broncos, Cards. I guess the team gets what it deserves by being lackadaisacal in those games.

Dino 6 Rings
01-01-2008, 08:10 PM
Here's how I feel.

We are IN the mother effing playoffs.

we have a HOME game in the playoffs this weekend.

you can't win it all without being in, and anything can happen in this league. If you are in, you have a chance. No One gave the Giants a chance against the Bucs before they played NE tough, now people are taking the G-men. So regardless of what has happened prior to today, or this weekend, we are IN and we HAVE A SHOT!

HERE WE GO STEELERS HERE WE GO!!!

fansince'76
01-01-2008, 08:16 PM
Agreed the season has been fun after the no fun 2006

It is probably because I will grasp at any straw in sustaining my hope the Pats lose to someone (even the Cowboys, which indicates the depth of my dislike), but I think the Jags have a better chance than the Colts to win in Foxborough. To beat the Pats (who should be mildly concerned the Giants put up 35) you need bad weather to slow down the passing attack and a power running game that will run clock while not being as impacted as a passing team is by wind & snow. The Jags gave the Colts a close game in Indy & IMO have a better bad weather offense than the Colts.

Have to hold on to anything that might stop 19-0.

I would be willing to lose to the Jags if it meant the Cheatriots not achieving 19-0.

lilyoder6
01-01-2008, 08:22 PM
i feel that we need to get some depth on the o-line during the offseason.. i think we will be seeing a lot of quick pass plays, and screens...

HometownGal
01-01-2008, 08:23 PM
This season has been like riding on the Thunderbolt at Kennywood. Up, down, up, down. We've been on the downward dips the last couple of weeks and this Saturday night, it's time to start climbing back up.

Damn it - this team is capable of better play than we've seen the last 5 weeks.

They freakin' need to freakin' get their freakin' mojo back!!!

http://www.rgj.com/blogs/poweron/uploaded_images/Dr_Evil-733319.jpg

Preacher
01-01-2008, 08:46 PM
Just have James Harrison poke him in the eye. That's obviously allowed in the NFL.

I would insert a smiley...

However, it is too sad to think that it really is the reality in the NFL.

WWIIOwheelz
01-01-2008, 09:58 PM
I think the team started out with a chip on their shoulder, determined to make a successful transition to a coach they both respected and liked playing for.

They peaked defensively when they utterly destroyed Cincinnati (and Baltimore in the first game), but in the last 5 games or so, they have looked like a shadow of that early team.

Offensively, they have dodged a bullet by virtue of little more than Ben Roethlisberger both playing well and being fortunate not to take a really big hit (it has almost happened many, many times, and I hold my breath an awful lot.)

I see this season as having been an excellent start to what will likely be a long and successful career for Coach Tomlin. Winning the North was honestly not one of the things I thought he would accomplish his very first year, but other teams in the division were surprisingly bad (*cough* Baltimore *cough*)

Jacksonville is peaking at the right time with a healthy Garrard, and with Taylor & Jones-Drew packing a one-two punch, they might well be the best hope against a very good Pats team. They have a lot of threats.

I see Jacksonville winning the game this weekend, but I'd love to be wrong. I'll be watching to see how Tomlin prepares the guys this week.

AlleghenyArsenal
01-01-2008, 10:14 PM
I think the team started out with a chip on their shoulder, determined to make a successful transition to a coach they both respected and liked playing for.

They peaked defensively when they utterly destroyed Cincinnati (and Baltimore in the first game), but in the last 5 games or so, they have looked like a shadow of that early team.

Offensively, they have dodged a bullet by virtue of little more than Ben Roethlisberger both playing well and being fortunate not to take a really big hit (it has almost happened many, many times, and I hold my breath an awful lot.)

I see this season as having been an excellent start to what will likely be a long and successful career for Coach Tomlin. Winning the North was honestly not one of the things I thought he would accomplish his very first year, but other teams in the division were surprisingly bad (*cough* Baltimore *cough*)

Jacksonville is peaking at the right time with a healthy Garrard, and with Taylor & Jones-Drew packing a one-two punch, they might well be the best hope against a very good Pats team. They have a lot of threats.

I see Jacksonville winning the game this weekend, but I'd love to be wrong. I'll be watching to see how Tomlin prepares the guys this week.

Man, I hope youre wrong about Jax winning. I agree, the team has been way off, and let's face it, the last good game they played was the first Baltimore game. I think watching the first five minutes Saturday night will tell us alot. There is no way in hell we stand a chance if the team comes out sleepwalking again at the start of the game. I dont know what the problem is, but there is more to the Steelers problems right now than just injuries and missed tackles. I'm pulling for Tomlin to have the boys fired up coming out of the tunnel, but based on what we've seen recently, I have my doubts.

Rhee Rhee
01-01-2008, 10:16 PM
not enthused... very nervous about our Defense of all things... i also dont know if mr. davenport can run against that stout jags defense..

NV STEELERS 723
01-01-2008, 10:26 PM
In 05 I knew we would win the SB...we had all the tools.. a great D, a great RB + Jerome Bettis, and Big Ben just needed the plays to make passes...

But this season we are just too banged up, and now our 2nd string tackle is out! This is the guy that protects Ben's blind side, and now he is 3rd string ???????

I hope Im very wrong , but I think we will make a cameo in the 07 playoffs....

Our STEELERS will get stronger with the draft...we know what we need....

And just for the record, the Colts and Big Brother Peyton will beat the Cheatriots, and send the first 16-0 team home crying and tryin to cheat more in 2008!

zoneblitz43
01-01-2008, 10:34 PM
I would be willing to lose to the Jags if it meant the Cheatriots not achieving 19-0-I would have to agree with you there. If the Jags beat us, then beat the Pats, then I will at least know my team was sacrificed for the greater good.

I don't understand what happened to this team. They just don't seem to be playing with the passion that was there earlier this year and with the exception of Ben don't look like they have the will to win. Kinda like how the Bungles have looked most of 2007.

AlleghenyArsenal
01-01-2008, 10:37 PM
The problem with that is they CANT beat NE. And even if they could, I would never want that to be at the Steelers expense.

moedap
01-01-2008, 10:42 PM
I have been reading Jacksonsville press and they feel the game is in the bag for the Jaguars. Taylor's only worry is the field condition not the Steelers. I feel they are feeling a little to over****y and need a dose of Steelers ass kicking.

AlleghenyArsenal
01-01-2008, 10:47 PM
I have been reading Jacksonsville press and they feel the game is in the bag for the Jaguars. Taylor's only worry is the field condition not the Steelers. I feel they are feeling a little to over****y and need a dose of Steelers ass kicking.

I, for one, am a little sick of hearing all the negativity towards the Steelers. Not only from the national media, but from fellow fans, as well. Hopefully, all this negative bs will be just the tonic the Stillers need to come out and give Jacksonville a good, old-fashioned.......

nojobny
01-01-2008, 10:47 PM

Good, let them come in feeling overconfident. And we'll send them home with their tail between their legs.

AFC
01-01-2008, 11:28 PM
I was in the mood for some good ol' Steelers football, so I have just finished watching the opening game of 2005 against the Titans; naturally, I am now psyched as a muhfugga. In other words, I am looking forward to a passer rating of 158 and +150 yards on the ground against the Jags. I will try this optimism thing and see how it works out.

Edman
01-02-2008, 12:01 AM
Optimistic, but on the other hand, I wouldn't be surprised if this team gets beat again.

The Steelers' sloppy December as well as the piling injuries don't inspire much confidence going into this home playoff game. Jacksonville has our number. They have a swagger. They KNOW they are capable of beating Pittsburgh.

I don't know what to say about this team. They're just cold right now. I used to expect the Steelers to win, now I just hope they win.

steel#1
01-02-2008, 12:05 AM
You know what, I remember being 15-1 and everybody loved the Steelers, until we lost to the Pats in the Championship game. I also remember the next year when we were the 6th seed and everybody thought we would be one and done. When the Steelers backs are against the wall and nobody gives them a chance is when the Steelers work their magic. Let's just hope that Tomlin was given the magic wand by Cowher and Arians remembers that they won that Superbowl because Ben used the pass to open up the running game. All I know is that until they are eliminated I will cheer long and loud for the Steelers and anybody playing against the Pats. Go Steelers!

jjpro11
01-02-2008, 12:31 AM
You know what, I remember being 15-1 and everybody loved the Steelers, until we lost to the Pats in the Championship game. I also remember the next year when we were the 6th seed and everybody thought we would be one and done. When the Steelers backs are against the wall and nobody gives them a chance is when the Steelers work their magic. Let's just hope that Tomlin was given the magic wand by Cowher and Arians remembers that they won that Superbowl because Ben used the pass to open up the running game. All I know is that until they are eliminated I will cheer long and loud for the Steelers and anybody playing against the Pats. Go Steelers!

i love the 2005 season as much as any steelers fan... but i also know that this year isnt 2005. the circumstances were way more different back then.. we were coming off a 15-1 season.. the only reason we were a wildcard team was because ben got hurt during the season; his injury alone cost us at least 2 games. we were on fire heading into the playoffs.. all season long the goal was to bring the bus home.. this year, there just isnt any drive for anything it seems. we have a rookie head coach... and finally, we were healthy. if we win the super bowl this year, it will be far more impressive than in 2005. hopefully after the super bowl we can dig this thread up and laugh at ourselves for doubting the steelers.

Aussie_steeler
01-02-2008, 01:35 AM

They freakin' need to freakin' get their freakin' mojo back!!!

I am with you HTG. Lets get this team rolling in the right direction. This should be the tonic.

https://www.gendarme.com/static/tgmstatic/storeimages/28.jpg

Tomlin doesnt want to emulate Cowhers first season and just make the playoffs. It burns inside him to do better. Stop the run - win the game.

Steel Pit
01-02-2008, 02:18 AM
Does anyone have an early weather report for kickoff. I'm in central Ohio, it's 2:10 AM Wednesday morning and we're being blistered with a mini-blizzard. :yeehaw:

SteelersMongol
01-02-2008, 03:37 AM

:toofunny:

I'm not really psyched about going into playoffs with this many injuries. Even if the guys try their best while they are not fully recovered, I'm afraid that they might could get career ending injuries. :banging:

Dino 6 Rings
01-02-2008, 06:00 PM
I'm PSYCHED!!! Finally, after last seasons disappointment, we are BACK IN THE GAME!!!

All that matters is getting into the Playoffs and being there to at least compete. Once in, we have a shot, especially with the experience at QB and WR, and on the Defensive side of the ball. No "deer in headlights" moments for us. True Belief that they can win 3 in row, to get to Arizona, staring this weekend, against the Jags.

83-Steelers-43
01-02-2008, 10:44 PM
Well, the defense looks horrible (I mean they look great, run defense in particular.).

The o-line is crippled (I mean they are strong as a rock. Never been better.).

Parker is out (No biggy, he sucks anyways.).

To be honest, I'm not very comfortable heading into Saturday (We will run the table and win #6.).

SalukiSteelers
01-02-2008, 11:46 PM
I don't like the Steelers' chances this season. It wouldn't be a surprise if this was their only playoff game. It seems that lately there are too many holes and injuries. Adding a third-string left tackle to an offensive line with pass protection issues can't be good. PGH might have the worst No.1 rated defense ever, if not simply the last couple of years, judging by the way it's looked the last few weeks.

Elvis
01-03-2008, 12:48 PM
First of all, I am gonna write my thoughts down before I read everyone else's.
I love the way that Ben has came back this season and set Steelers records for TD Passes and didnt even have to play the final game of the season to get it. He is 2nd in the league in passer rating, behind only Tom Brady who is having an Awesome season himself. How anyone can vote against Ben as Steelers MVP or NFL Comeback Player of the year would be ludicrous.
Willie has had a up and down season. Our O Line is just so suspect I think that is the reason he struggled at times. But I also think that he needs to have alot more patience than he has shown this year. If Parker had Jerome Bettis's patience he would be alot more potent.
Santonio Holmes has really came on strong this year and he is ready to take over the number 1 spot in my opinion. He is our best downfield threat and is coming on strong.
On Defense.. The injuries the last 2 seasons are starting to worry me about Polomalu. He was known for his concussi0ns in college and that is the reason he fell to us in the draft. We are getting old at MLB as well. Farrior is still productive no doubt about it, but he is getting old in football player years. Larry Foote doesnt make plays like he did our super bowl year anymore either. Our Defensive Line is hurting with the injury to Aaron Smith. We must stop the run in the game vs the Jaguars.
I Dont See It Happening Myself..
Jaguars 20
Steelers 10

SteelerFanInCA
01-03-2008, 01:30 PM
I've got a good feeling for some strange reason. I'm not about to predict a score or anything but I'm getting a good vibe.

Jeremy
01-03-2008, 01:36 PM
This is kind of OT, but does anyone know who's going to be calling the game for NBC?

BritishSteel
01-04-2008, 06:45 AM
I'm quite positive. 2005 showed that the Steelers thrive as the underdog. No-one outside the Nation expects us to win on Saturday so we go into that game with all the pressure on Jax. All the pressure. We're a banged up team with no momentum. We win Saturday and go to the Pats and its the same all over again. We've not done much in the play-offs against the Pats as favourites, lets see how they like being 13 point favourites. No pressure on us at all.